Author Topic: JP & JLB on Talk Is Jericho Podcast  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
JP & JLB on Talk Is Jericho Podcast
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:55:10 AM »
https://westwoodonepodcasts.com/pods/talk-is-jericho/

Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and singer James LaBrie bring the live concert experience directly to your home with the brand new live album and film, “Distant Memories: Live In London” (out this Friday)! The band was on our when the pandemic hit, and the guys talk about what it was like to try to get home to the States, and then to continually cancel dates as the pandemic got worse and wore on. They talk about the time Dream Theater’s show at The Palace in Hollywood got shut down by the fire marshall, the impact that Rush and Neil Peart has had on their music and career, and why Eddie Van Hallen’s passing hit them so hard too. They also tell some great behind-the-scenes stories about the making of “Scenes From A Memory,” including the reason why the entire album had to be remixed at the last minute! And of course, they’re working on new music, and tease when that may be ready for release. Plus, John talks about reuniting with original DT drummer Mike Portnoy on John’s solo album, “Terminal Velocity.”

As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: JP & JLB on Talk Is Jericho Podcast
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:23:13 AM »
Great interview. James and John in great spirits. James is a riot on this.

The new album is definitely underway!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »
Great interview. James and John in great spirits. James is a riot on this.

The new album is definitely underway!!!!
it is, and has been ever since October of this year and it definitely will be released next year.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

That had me laughing when they were discussing the management coming in and asking them "Are you guys still open to going to Asia?"...JLB "NO! we're not open to going to Asia, you know, we're gonna walk right into this thing." and Frank coming in during the Intermission on the DVD show, and saying "We need to know if the gear is going to go to asia or not?" and JP replied "Hmm. Can't this wait, till like after the show" and JLB just busted out laughing.  :rollin :rollin

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
Or after the fire marshal shut down the LA show, the cops were really outside just to give directions. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »
:rollin :rollin

That had me laughing when they were discussing the management coming in and asking them "Are you guys still open to going to Asia?"...JLB "NO! we're not open to going to Asia, you know, we're gonna walk right into this thing." and Frank coming in during the Intermission on the DVD show, and saying "We need to know if the gear is going to go to asia or not?" and JP replied "Hmm. Can't this wait, till like after the show" and JLB just busted out laughing.  :rollin :rollin

I was LOLing to that too.

I also don't know if I remember this correctly, but I think at the LA show Portnoy was trying to get everybody to go back on stage and play anyway and James was like, "Fuck that! They'll revoke my visa!" Was waiting for clarification on that but oh well. Still hilarious.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 08:43:10 AM »
I don't usually do podcasts, but I like Jericho and I've always heard good things about him as a host so I might actually have to check this out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 09:31:53 AM »
I don't usually do podcasts, but I like Jericho and I've always heard good things about him as a host so I might actually have to check this out.

It's a good one. It's good due to the fact Jericho is also a musician and in a well known band, as well, so he knows the shit that goes down in the Music Business. I feel that's why JP and JLB felt more looser talking with Jericho about these topics because he understands and they don't have to explain much at all to him. Especially JLB, he really felt loose and open to say his thoughts on those subjects.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
I listened to the whole thing, it was really funny. John is leaning into being a comedian in the interviews now! Although every time you get John and James together is a riot.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
Going to check it out, Chris Jericho has always been a hilarious guy, his Eddie Trunk interviews with MP (before podcasts were a thing) are fantastic listens.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Although every time you get John and James together is a riot.

Like this :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP6pmJdQZ0
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »

We got to thank JP's Burp for that hilarious moment.  :rollin  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »

That one's great, but this one is my favorite from these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25bJ297zrc
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »
I listened to this last night and enjoyed it. I chuckled a little at James accusing some other unnamed singer of looking cheesy dancing on stage during instrumental sections. ;-)

I thought it was a little odd they didn’t mention Dead Again as a basis for the SFAM story. That must have been something MP brought to the writing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
I also don't know if I remember this correctly, but I think at the LA show Portnoy was trying to get everybody to go back on stage and play anyway and James was like, "Fuck that! They'll revoke my visa!" Was waiting for clarification on that but oh well. Still hilarious.
Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm guessing you're referring to the infamous fire marshal show, correct? Only JL had stepped off stage, tho I don't know why because the end of OLT doesn't have some long instrumental section - I remember the rest of the guys were still playing. MP must have been somewhat aware something was up because after he started singing the song for JL, he commented that they were trying to shut the show down but that they would continue - maybe they said something to him in his inner ear monitors because I don't remember anyone going up to him on stage. Here's an audience recording of that infamous moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZnfRwiPSk4
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 06:17:59 PM »
That was a wild scene for sure.  I've always maintained (on just a hunch) that someone was not happy that Dream Theater's late start was going to interfere with the Saturday night dance club so they called the fire marshal to end the show.  Keep in mind that every Saturday that venue turned into a dance club after the prime time rock shows. 

It was odd that Dream Theater played for 75 minutes by that point and then it was shut down.  Also, I noted that the following evening when DT played at the same venue, there weren't really any less people.  My guess is that the promoter of the dance event intervened when he showed up to start his gig and realized it things weren't on schedule that night. Or the club felt like it had to honor its commitment to its weekly booking.  Again, i say this with no proof - just a hunch.  I hung around after the cops cleared out the club and sure enough all the velvet shirt dance goers arrived. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 06:37:45 PM »
That's interesting RTK.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »
That was a wild scene for sure.  I've always maintained (on just a hunch) that someone was not happy that Dream Theater's late start was going to interfere with the Saturday night dance club so they called the fire marshal to end the show.  Keep in mind that every Saturday that venue turned into a dance club after the prime time rock shows. 

It was odd that Dream Theater played for 75 minutes by that point and then it was shut down.  Also, I noted that the following evening when DT played at the same venue, there weren't really any less people.  My guess is that the promoter of the dance event intervened when he showed up to start his gig and realized it things weren't on schedule that night. Or the club felt like it had to honor its commitment to its weekly booking.  Again, i say this with no proof - just a hunch.  I hung around after the cops cleared out the club and sure enough all the velvet shirt dance goers arrived.
Are you implying that whoever ran the dance club afterward was behind it? That's always possible, but if you remember, the venue was shutdown after DT's show. There was no dance club that first night.

The unsubstantiated rumor I remember hearing was that Derek was behind it, being that it was their first gig in LA after he was given the heave-ho and he lives in LA. But again, there was no proof and it was more fans just speculating than anything. Plus I don't think Derek was really that spiteful.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
No way would Derek do that. Fun rumour though!

I just remembered that one of my favorite moments was how they very optimistically divvied up the lyrical duties for SFAM after just discussing how the story was gonna go, once. "Hope this all stacks up!" :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »
No way would Derek do that. Fun rumour though!

I just remembered that one of my favorite moments was how they very optimistically divvied up the lyrical duties for SFAM after just discussing how the story was gonna go, once. "Hope this all stacks up!" :rollin

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 11:12:25 AM »
I listened to this last night and enjoyed it. I chuckled a little at James accusing some other unnamed singer of looking cheesy dancing on stage during instrumental sections. ;-)

That's one of the things I like about LaBrie. I really don't like to see singers dancing around on stage or adding vocals to instrumental parts.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!