Author Topic: Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks in the Road (2020) + Lennon Xmas cover  (Read 1495 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
This thread might result in crickets or little activity, but I thought I'd give it a shot.  Not sure how many fans there are here of Alanis - heck, I wasn't one until very recently - but this new album of hers is really, really good.  A lot of piano, a lot of strings, a lot of dark moods, and really strong songwriting.  And her voice, which I went from not liking that much to loving now (most unexpected fandom turnaround for me ever), is still a force of nature.

For anyone wanting to sample a few standouts:

Smiling  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4La1o-lwGb0

Reasons I Drink  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHpIP1-kUI

Nemesis (the build-up in this song is, dare I say it, epic!)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WApBviCgRE

Reckoning  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_Vybp7wuM
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:54:54 PM by KevShmev »

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks in the Road (2020)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
I won't deny, I have Jagged Little Pill on CD and for a brief period in 1997, I was a fan.

I have a distinct memory of driving to the 1997 Final 4 in Indianapolis with a friend of mine and him playing it over and over (between me putting in A Change of Seasons in the CD player).

Some of those tunes do still hold up.

Just wishlisted the new one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
I do think Jagged Little Pill is a really strong record. Never explored her further than that. Might have to check this new one out.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
Jagged Little Pill is an excellent record.

The soundtrack song, "Uninvited" is still a huge favorite of mine too. I sorta lost track of her after that, but I saw her sing live on TV recently and remembered how talented she is. Will check out the tunes. Thanks Kev!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »
I need to buy this album still Kev.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
I'm a fan going all the way back to Jagged. I literally just got the deluxe version of Flavors Of Entanglement this week. I still need to check out this new one and the last one. Otherwise, I have everything from Jagged to Flavors.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
I do think Jagged Little Pill is a really strong record. Never explored her further than that. Might have to check this new one out.

Same for me. I loved that record when it came out. Will check this new one. Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »

In digging through her stuff in the last month so, I find Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie and So-Called Chaos to both be very strong albums from start to finish. I would recommend those highly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »
Jagged Little Pill is an excellent record.

The soundtrack song, "Uninvited" is still a huge favorite of mine too. I sorta lost track of her after that, but I saw her sing live on TV recently and remembered how talented she is. Will check out the tunes. Thanks Kev!

Glad to help! ;)

Uninvited is definitely a great song. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
I need to buy this album still Kev.

Get on it.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »
I won't deny, I have Jagged Little Pill on CD and for a brief period in 1997, I was a fan.

I have a distinct memory of driving to the 1997 Final 4 in Indianapolis with a friend of mine and him playing it over and over (between me putting in A Change of Seasons in the CD player).

Some of those tunes do still hold up.

Just wishlisted the new one.

Cool, enjoy!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
I'm a fan going all the way back to Jagged. I literally just got the deluxe version of Flavors Of Entanglement this week. I still need to check out this new one and the last one. Otherwise, I have everything from Jagged to Flavors.

Havoc and Bright Lights (from 2012) seems to have a few standout tracks, but the album feels overproduced. Too many effects on her voice. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »

Same for me. I loved that record when it came out. Will check this new one. Thanks!

Jagged Little Pill is still somewhat of a mixed bag for me.  Of the hits, I really like Hand in My Pocket, Ironic and All I Really Want, but I can take or leave You Oughta Know and You Learn.  Head over Feet is pretty good, but I don't reach for it.  I do now like some of the deep cuts, like Mary Jane.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
Bought tickets to see her. Wife wanted to see Liz Phair and I like Alanis and Garbage decently enough that it seemed worth it. Obviously that tour was postponed but I got the new album download out of it. I dig it quite a bit. Went back and bought all the Alanis album, even her very first two from her pop period. Weird stuff. A few tracks I actually like off of that too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
So-Called Chaos is my favorite album of hers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »
Bought tickets to see her. Wife wanted to see Liz Phair and I like Alanis and Garbage decently enough that it seemed worth it. Obviously that tour was postponed but I got the new album download out of it. I dig it quite a bit. Went back and bought all the Alanis album, even her very first two from her pop period. Weird stuff. A few tracks I actually like off of that too.

That tour is coming here next year as well (assuming touring happens).  I have no interest in the others, but I wouldn't mind seeing Alanis.  However, with it being a triple bill, I suspect she won't get more than 90 minutes or so, and with her likely to play all or most of Jagged..., might not leave a lot for room for much else.  I think our show is the last of the tour, so I could always change my mind if I get a look at the set list and it looks really good. 

So-Called Chaos is my favorite album of hers.

I can see why. Every song is a winner.  Excuses, Everywhere, Doth I Protest Too Much, Knees of My Bees and Spineless are all now among my favorites by her. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »
Alanis released a new cover of John Lennon's Happy Xmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjed6_fwy7o

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette - 1995

Great live performance with a killer band.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
I LOVE the new record and consider it a return to form.

I've been a fan from the beginning, and consider Under Rug Swept to be her best work!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette - 1995

Great live performance with a killer band.

That was hot.  I'll be patriotic today and take a spin with the new album
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
New album was very easy on the ears.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
If you like Jagged... find the acoustic version she put out. It's not just her and an acoustic, it's more a "softer" version, if you will, but it's great.   I love Jagged, I love the song "Thank U", and I love "Uninvited", but there's a pretty big drop off for me after that.

Though if there's a tour with her and Garbage (I'll be at the beer stand for Liz Phair) I'd go see that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I know it was considered a letdown by many at the time, but as a new (and very late to the party!) fan, I definitely like Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie more than Jagged Little Pill.  It is loaded with good songs, and feels like a more diverse and expansive effort.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Liked her work in Dogma.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Liked her work in Dogma.

I've never seen the movie, but her song she did for it, Still, is one of my favorites.  I love that wordless vocal section she does in the middle of the song and then again at the end. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Bump to remind anyone who has still not heard Such Pretty Forks in the Road that you need to check it out!  It is really good.  Gave it a fresh listen recently and it's still darn good.  :tup :tup