Author Topic: 2020 Election Aftermath Thread  (Read 31947 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: 2020 Election Aftermath Thread
« Reply #1190 on: April 08, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »
Shouldn't the real fight for voting be legals can vote, illegals can't? 

If you are a citizen, you can vote. Just have multiple documents like license,  ss card, birth certificate ect.

But the whole problem is there are tons of people in this country, comprised mostly of poor, minorities, and blacks, who do don't have their SS card or their birth certificate. They can't afford a car, so they don't bother getting a license, and they can't afford the fees associated with trying to obtain their birth records even if they were to try and get an ID.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1191 on: April 08, 2021, 01:47:19 PM »

If you are a citizen, you can vote. Just have multiple documents like license,  ss card, birth certificate ect.

But the whole problem is there are tons of people in this country, comprised mostly of poor, minorities, and blacks, who do don't have their SS card or their birth certificate. They can't afford a car, so they don't bother getting a license, and they can't afford the fees associated with trying to obtain their birth records even if they were to try and get an ID.
And on top of that, the fight that Joe is looking for was fought ages ago. Illegals can't vote. They don't. If they try their votes get tossed. The idea that they're showing out in droves to sweep democrats to victory is propaganda.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1192 on: April 08, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »

They are also not helpless. They have feet, there's public transportation. It just requires more work to actually go get that ID if they don't have the car.

Others just do not have the time to sit and deal with the MVD, to get that ID. Not the person's fault, as it is more the system and process of the MVD itself. That no one wants to waste time there when they need to be somewhere else, or want to be somewhere else besides the MVD.

Same goes for the Social Security Offices.

And on top of that, the fight that Joe is looking for was fought ages ago. Illegals can't vote. They don't. If they try their votes get tossed. The idea that they're showing out in droves to sweep democrats to victory is propaganda.

How do we know they are not voting?

This is precisely why we in New Mexico have 2 different types of ID's....One is the REAL ID where you need a lot of things just to get. You need to be working basically, because you need 2 proofs of residency and a phone bill doesn't count. So you'd need a utility bill, tax form, work stub.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1193 on: April 08, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
I think I've outlined more than a handful of legitimate reasons for voter ID laws.   
I disagree.  For me, it comes down to this:  Elections existed without voter ID laws for decades (centuries, really, but for most of that time IDs didn't actually exist like now).  They are laws to, supposedly, prevent a problem.  But it's a problem that ISN'T HAPPENING.  So, if there is no actual reason to pass these laws, what could be the reason that the GOP really wants to pass them?  Hmmm, let me think about that.

Wait a second, though; we're not talking about all of civilized history.  We're talking the current situation.  I get it, we have to knock the Republicans because it's the thing to do, but it's not like there haven't EVER been voting issues in the United States.  These discussions have been happening in one form or another since the 50's, and more rigorously in the late 60's and 70's, in response to incidents like Kennedy, Johnson and the Mayor of Chicago.

And we keep talking about "this problem that isn't happening", yet, that doesn't bother us in the least, does it?  Gun laws don't stop mass killing events, Obamacare didn't lower premiums for people (half the population saw premiums increase) and yet that didn't slow anyone down that the reasons for THOSE laws were ostensibly slightly (or more than slightly) different than the stated reasons.   

Even those that opposed voter ID laws say that accurate and complete voter registration rolls are INTEGRAL for election integrity, and whether as the stated reason or a consequential effect, this is related to that.

EDIT:  And that's not at all to reinforce the fact that most of the people complaining about the Georgia law have little clue - beyond what they're told by the activists they follow, who have a vested interest in inspiring them to rebellion - what the law ACTUALLY asks for.
I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but I'm talking about the GOP proclivity for ID laws in general, not specifically Georgia.

Well, as I've said numerous times, there are two sides to that coin.  This isn't just about GOP scumbaggery; there is direct benefit to the Democrats from demonizing - I'm sorry, I mispelled "defending against" - Republican initiatives to bring some consistency and order to the process.

I'm not and never have looked at this as a party issue
With all due respect, it fucking IS a party issue.  Particularly, a Republican party issue.  You "not looking at it as a party issue" doesn't mean it's not, and is not taking all of the available facts into account.

It's not.  Again, "all due respect", because you say it doesn't make it so.  And ironically, I feel like I'm one of the few that IS taking "all of the available facts into account".   There are far more factual errors in the posts here singularly using this issue to continue to lambaste the Republicans than in mine.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: April 08, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »

This is what I thought the Voter ID issue is about?

No, it's about making it possible to bus as many people to the polls to vote for Democrats as necessary to win the election, regardless of county voter rolls.  :)   

(See, two can play that game.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: April 08, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »

Then the people complaining about the law and trying to undermine it can dedicate their energies to making sure every potential voter that wants one can GET one.   Volunteer at places like Sweetwater or whatever it was that was in that NPR article, a group that proactively went out and GOT people IDs.  It's got benefits beyond just voting.  One person in the article was able to get a job and (I think) end his homelessness as a result of the ID he was given.   

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not suggesting these people that want to vote need to be ignored or cast aside.  But if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT, not half-assed.   Pass the laws, allow the IDs, but then make it almost impossible to NOT have one if you don't want it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1196 on: April 08, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »

This is what I thought the Voter ID issue is about?

No, it's about making it possible to bus as many people to the polls to vote for Democrats as necessary to win the election.  :)   

(See, two can play that game.)

:lol :lol

That was great...

Then the people complaining about the law and trying to undermine it can dedicate their energies to making sure every potential voter that wants one can GET one.   Volunteer at places like Sweetwater or whatever it was that was in that NPR article, a group that proactively went out and GOT people IDs.  It's got benefits beyond just voting.  One person in the article was able to get a job and (I think) end his homelessness as a result of the ID he was given.   

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not suggesting these people that want to vote need to be ignored or cast aside.  But if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT, not half-assed.   Pass the laws, allow the IDs, but then make it almost impossible to NOT have one if you don't want it. 

That's like being helpless and waiting for someone to come and push you out of bed and make you more responsible. That's the laziness people end up getting when they receive and take advantage of benefits from the government.

And once these benefits go away, they are left helpless. They can do all those things that will help them. But then, are they willing to do it?...Some won't even bother.

Reminds me of the Panhandler problem here. And what they did, or I think they did,  is get smarter and start slanging snacks and water, and also being "Performers" and playing music on a violin or guitar. Which is funny because you have people that faked being able to play, by using a speaker connected to their IPod, and they just did the motions.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1197 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »

for some it can be hard to even have the birth certificate.  Older people born in jim crow era most likely never had one.  One guy (again in the NPR link) grew up in louisiana but had trouble trying to get one because turns out he was born in memphis and didnt even know.   He had a troubled life (drugs, only undeclared odd jobs ) turning his life around is one thing and getting proper paperwork is another even if hes not an illegal immigrant he might as well be in the eyes of the state.  Point is it voting should be as available to this guy as much as anyone.   If Qanon couple with maga hats can vote easily so should he.

Online kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1198 on: April 08, 2021, 02:43:14 PM »
Btw, I'm not saying it isn't hard. I'm also not saying it's limited to 3 items, hence the ect.

I actually have no pony in the show and I'm not informed on what's allowed now honestly.

EB, I never really knew the illegal voters was fixed. I assumed it's still debated to this day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1199 on: April 08, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »

for some it can be hard to even have the birth certificate.  Older people born in jim crow era most likely never had one.  One guy (again in the NPR link) grew up in louisiana but had trouble trying to get one because turns out he was born in memphis and didnt even know.   He had a troubled life (drugs, only undeclared odd jobs ) turning his life around is one thing and getting proper paperwork is another even if hes not an illegal immigrant he might as well be in the eyes of the state.  Point is it voting should be as available to this guy as much as anyone.   If Qanon couple with maga hats can vote easily so should he.

Precisely, and we never had that right to vote until not long ago.

So if you take that into account. There are still those people, who will do these types of things. Because people think it's entirely radicated.

So are there own people doing things that will help those that are unable to, actually get IDs and transportation to the polling place?...

But again, I don't really care about what happens in Georgia because I do not live there and these laws do not affect me in anyway what so ever. My state has its own laws as does every other state.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1200 on: April 08, 2021, 02:50:02 PM »
This isn't just about GOP scumbaggery; there is direct benefit to the Democrats from demonizing - I'm sorry, I mispelled "defending against" - Republican initiatives to bring some consistency and order to the process.
It's almost as if Democrats wouldn't have to demonize Republicans on this issue if they weren't acting like demons

You can bemoan partisanship all you want, but this is a clearly partisan issue, and again, a solution in search of a problem.  Look at who benefits (Republicans), and look at who suffers (Democrats). 

I've been voting all of my adult life.  It's been pretty consistent and ordered.  Not one bit of chaos.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1201 on: April 09, 2021, 07:03:36 AM »
If we're going to require ID for voters, then ID's should be easily accessible and free. A vote shouldn't require someone to jump through hoops, or travel long distances, or cost them a dime. Also, there are people who don't have birth certificate, and there needs to be concessions made for them.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1202 on: April 09, 2021, 07:05:58 AM »
What is my voter registration card if not already a voter ID? I never understood this.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1203 on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:03 AM »
What is my voter registration card if not already a voter ID? I never understood this.

I think they're referring to ID being required to register

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1204 on: April 09, 2021, 08:04:56 AM »

Nope, ID being presented at the polling location.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1205 on: April 09, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »

Gotcha

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: April 09, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »

Except you betray yourself with that reference AND make my point all in one post.  You're glossing over everything other than political affiliation (which SHOULD be a non-factor and never should have been mentioned in conjunction with the right to vote).

Yes, voting should be AVAILABLE to that guy, but that's not to say that ZERO effort should be required.  It's like anything else; help those who truly CAN'T, but there needs to be a line somewhere.   Right now, the messaging is a lot more partisan, and seems to be about "forcing" certain demographics - and certain demographics only - into voting.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: April 09, 2021, 08:44:59 AM »
This isn't just about GOP scumbaggery; there is direct benefit to the Democrats from demonizing - I'm sorry, I mispelled "defending against" - Republican initiatives to bring some consistency and order to the process.
It's almost as if Democrats wouldn't have to demonize Republicans on this issue if they weren't acting like demons

You can bemoan partisanship all you want, but this is a clearly partisan issue, and again, a solution in search of a problem.  Look at who benefits (Republicans), and look at who suffers (Democrats). 

I've been voting all of my adult life.  It's been pretty consistent and ordered.  Not one bit of chaos.

And would the Georgia law change any of your votes (not WHO you voted for, but HOW you voted)?   Because for me, voting since the '88 Presidential election (17 elections counting midterms), that law wouldn't change one thing for any of the votes I've cast.  Even if it had, I mostly WANTED to vote and I would have made it happen.  Now, I totally understand that some flat-out CAN'T, and I'm all for helping them.  NO QUESTION.  But by focusing on ONE SIDE'S motivations it by definition utterly ignores the other sides motivations, which are equally partisan, and equally self-serving.  I'm not big on speculation of motivations, but if was going to, it's hard not to think that the Qanon MAGA hats were the one's disenfranchised, the Democrats wouldn't give shit one about facilitation.

If you haven't noticed, that's really the essence of most of my posts here; I don't really care about the voter law one way or the other in the sense that it's going to be what it's going to be, and people are going to adapt accordingly, as they ALWAYS do. (That organization in the NPR article is one example; I will bet someone tickets to the next DT live stream that in the next six months, CHURCHES in Atlanta start to run "Identification Drives" where they get their communities "identified".)   The big thing for me is noting how LITTLE has changed from the Trump years in terms of the partisanship and the ridiculous - yes, I said it - assumptions that are continuing to be made about the "them", the "other side".   Some of you - not referring to you, specifically, Hef - are, despite oodles of sanctimonious implied "tolerance" (in quotes because it is the very definition of INTOLERANCE), simply incapable of understanding that you're talking about fellow humans, fellow Americans, who oh-by-the-way just happen to disagree with you. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: April 09, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
If we're going to require ID for voters, then ID's should be easily accessible and free. A vote shouldn't require someone to jump through hoops, or travel long distances, or cost them a dime. Also, there are people who don't have birth certificate, and there needs to be concessions made for them.

100% agreed.  And that's really the solution - the compromise - here.  If the motivations and intentions of the Left were truly above board - and not similarly self-serving and partisan - that's where we'd see the focus, not all the recrimination and finger-pointing. There are benefits beyond just voting for having an ID, and we'd be maximizing those benefits for ALL of us.

I still predict in Atlanta that you're going to start seeing community churches - the same ones that bus their constituents to the polls to vote for the desired candidate ("souls to the polls", though you don't get to participate if you're not voting for the "right" candidate) - start running free community "identification" drives to get identifications in the hands of their constituents.  I support that 1000% percent.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1209 on: April 09, 2021, 08:58:41 AM »

And would the Georgia law change any of your votes (not WHO you voted for, but HOW you voted)?   Because for me, voting since the '88 Presidential election (17 elections counting midterms), that law wouldn't change one thing for any of the votes I've cast.  Even if it had, I mostly WANTED to vote and I would have made it happen.  Now, I totally understand that some flat-out CAN'T, and I'm all for helping them.  NO QUESTION.  But by focusing on ONE SIDE'S motivations it by definition utterly ignores the other sides motivations, which are equally partisan, and equally self-serving.  I'm not big on speculation of motivations, but if was going to, it's hard not to think that the Qanon MAGA hats were the one's disenfranchised, the Democrats wouldn't give shit one about facilitation.

If you haven't noticed, that's really the essence of most of my posts here; I don't really care about the voter law one way or the other in the sense that it's going to be what it's going to be, and people are going to adapt accordingly, as they ALWAYS do. (That organization in the NPR article is one example; I will bet someone tickets to the next DT live stream that in the next six months, CHURCHES in Atlanta start to run "Identification Drives" where they get their communities "identified".)   The big thing for me is noting how LITTLE has changed from the Trump years in terms of the partisanship and the ridiculous - yes, I said it - assumptions that are continuing to be made about the "them", the "other side".   Some of you - not referring to you, specifically, Hef - are, despite oodles of sanctimonious implied "tolerance" (in quotes because it is the very definition of INTOLERANCE), simply incapable of understanding that you're talking about fellow humans, fellow Americans, who oh-by-the-way just happen to disagree with you.
What speculation of motivations are you talking about?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: April 09, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »

There are two issues with fraud and elections.  I'm sure you know this, but for everyone else:  there's voter fraud, which is when the person at the polls is either not who they say they are, not in the jurisdiction they are supposed to be in, or have duplicated one or both of those things.   Then there is election fraud, which is when machines fail, when voter rolls are inconsistent or incomplete, when votes are lost/miscounted, etc.

The REGISTRATION is part of the latter group, the equating the specific voter TO that registration is the former group. 

I frankly don't see why we couldn't adapt voter registration cards to serve both, though some states have taken to automatically registering people based on their activity (DMV, property ownership, etc.).  That could be problematic for identification purposes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1211 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:35 AM »

100% agreed.  And that's really the solution - the compromise - here.  If the motivations and intentions of the Left were truly above board - and not similarly self-serving and partisan - that's where we'd see the focus, not all the recrimination and finger-pointing. There are benefits beyond just voting for having an ID, and we'd be maximizing those benefits for ALL of us.

I still predict in Atlanta that you're going to start seeing community churches - the same ones that bus their constituents to the polls to vote for the desired candidate ("souls to the polls", though you don't get to participate if you're not voting for the "right" candidate) - start running free community "identification" drives to get identifications in the hands of their constituents.  I support that 1000% percent.

That's like how some Native voting places offered incentives for voting. I just laughed and said, "I'll vote. But not for the candidate you want me to." Not that I got incentives or needed any to vote. My main reason to vote is for the local laws and regulations and bills that affect Me, My people, and local communities and cities.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: April 09, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »

Gotcha

Which still leaves my question - why can't polling stations take the registration card as my "Voter ID"? Its provided for free when you register right?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1213 on: April 09, 2021, 12:47:00 PM »

Gotcha

Which still leaves my question - why can't polling stations take the registration card as my "Voter ID"? Its provided for free when you register right?
Does it have your photo on it? If not, you'd probably need to provide a photo ID to prove you are who you say you are. And I've never gotten a voter registration card, so that's not a universal thing.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1214 on: April 10, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
Does it have your photo on it? If not, you'd probably need to provide a photo ID to prove you are who you say you are. And I've never gotten a voter registration card, so that's not a universal thing.
I does not have a photo, but neither does my SS Card. I didn't realize it wasn't standardized across the nation.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1215 on: April 10, 2021, 10:25:52 AM »
I does not have a photo, but neither does my SS Card. I didn't realize it wasn't standardized across the nation.

I worked in a bank for years, and they have never accepted a SS card as a piece of ID. Too easy to fake I think. If even just cashing a check requires something with your photo on it, I can see why they would want at least the equivalent to vote.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1216 on: April 11, 2021, 03:21:00 AM »
A social security card has literally no identifying information on it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1217 on: April 11, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »
A social security card has literally no identifying information on it.

Which is ironic since with the information on a social security card, you can steal someone's identity.

Online kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: April 11, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
Did you know you are not supposed to laminate your SS card?  I never knew that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1219 on: April 11, 2021, 08:24:09 AM »
I memorized mine...Seems one of those important numbers to remember like your telephone number.

My identity has been stolen, once when I was first getting an ID to be able to work at 15, that was fun...and then recently, I found out someone set up an electric bill using my social, so I had to prove I was me, and did that, now that person has no electricity...

These things are why you need an ID and a SS card to prove who you are...because shit like this happens.

What if someone voted for you and when you went to vote it says you already voted and you can't vote. How would you prove that you didn't cast that vote?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1220 on: April 12, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »
I worked in a bank for years, and they have never accepted a SS card as a piece of ID. Too easy to fake I think.
Good thing that driver's licenses are so hard to fake.  That makes more sense, with these GOP laws demanding them as one form of acceptable ID to vote.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1221 on: April 12, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
As always, CGP Grey has a nice video on the topic of SS cards, and why they are hideously non-secure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erp8IAUouus
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline emtee

« Reply #1222 on: May 12, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
I'm disappointed the GOP voted Liz Cheney out of her leadership role. She is one only a few R's willing to speak against the Big Lie and Trump. If they continue down this road, there is zero chance they'll ever get a vote from me, except for local races.

Online kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: May 12, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »
I love that she said she would do everything in her power to stop Trump from getting re-elected.

I need more of this from both sides and more working together for the betterment of the country.  Not sure it will help at all but it's a step forward. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1224 on: May 12, 2021, 06:48:56 PM »
And the more she does to try and stop him the better the greater his success will be. Without enemies he's nothing. With people to target he's dangerous.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson