Author Topic: My interview with Jordan Rudess  (Read 2037 times)

Offline chrisgazeent

My interview with Jordan Rudess
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
Hi all,

On Oct. 21, 2020, I had the immense pleasure of interviewing Jordan Rudess.  We discussed everything from keyboard models to that infamous ragtime solo from "The Dance of Eternity" to the band's current recording sessions, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IES9GIB8U3Q

CG

Offline Mladen

Re: My interview with Jordan Rudess
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:01:44 PM »
I'm watching it right now, it's fun so far. I love that the ragtime solo started off as a joke.  :lol

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:50:16 AM »
Cool interview!! Thanks  :tup

I'm really anxious to hear what the direction for the new album is gonna be, but I imagine we'll only hear something about it in 2021.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:47:59 AM »
I've included a reference to it in the DT15 timeline thread
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
Very awkward interview but I learned some new things about DT & Ruddess.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
really awkward interviewer but still nice jordan went along with the guy to make the best of it

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Give the man a break, he's obviously very young. Not to mention we would all be starstruck and awkward if we had a chance to interview Jordan.  ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
really awkward interviewer but still nice jordan went along with the guy to make the best of it
That's what I thought, too.

Chris, you did a good job, but work on your confidence and have a whole series of questions printed out and ready to go that you can ask so that the interview goes much more smoothly. Or, if it's still a big challenge for you, maybe you might consider transcribing the interview and posting the transcription so that you can edit out the awkwardness. Take it from someone who's done interviews with JL, MP (3 times), Charlie Dominici and Chris Collins.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »

Chris, you did a good job, but work on your confidence and have a whole series of questions printed out and ready to go that you can ask so that the interview goes much more smoothly. Or, if it's still a big challenge for you, maybe you might consider transcribing the interview and posting the transcription so that you can edit out the awkwardness. Take it from someone who's done interviews with JL, MP (3 times), Charlie Dominici and Chris Collins.  :)

Where can I find your interview with Dominici?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »

Only a fraction of it ever got transcribed, and it was done (and published) by the Voices UK team. I think parts of it ended up in 2 issues, but I don't recall which ones.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline chrisgazeent

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
Just for the record, I did have a list of questions ready, and I know I'm awkward, I'm sorry.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
Just for the record, I did have a list of questions ready, and I know I'm awkward, I'm sorry.

Man, don't apologize. You did fine, and I'm sure you'll get better each passing interview you lead.

People are usually very critical on the internet over absolutely anything, so your best bet is to develop a skin as thick as you possibly can and keep getting better at what you do. I enjoyed the interview, so congrats on that. Keep pushing on that direction  :tup
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »
Man, don't apologize. You did fine, and I'm sure you'll get better each passing interview you lead.

People are usually very critical on the internet over absolutely anything, so your best bet is to develop a skin as thick as you possibly can and keep getting better at what you do. I enjoyed the interview, so congrats on that. Keep pushing on that direction  :tup
Couldn't agree more. No need for apologies! Chris, my comments weren't meant to be taken in a critical way, so I hope you don't take them that way. Just some tips/pointers to try to help you become better at interviewing people.  :)

Another thought to help you improve would be to do practice runs with people that you know. Film these practice runs and review them to find the areas that you need to work on or adjust so that when you do the real thing, you'll be better prepared and more confident.

Offline chrisgazeent

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »

Couldn't agree more. No need for apologies! Chris, my comments weren't meant to be taken in a critical way, so I hope you don't take them that way. Just some tips/pointers to try to help you become better at interviewing people.  :)

Another thought to help you improve would be to do practice runs with people that you know. Film these practice runs and review them to find the areas that you need to work on or adjust so that when you do the real thing, you'll be better prepared and more confident.

Thanks guys  :smiley:  I just felt a little embarrassed because of how exciting it was for me to interview JR.  I'm a huge fan of his (prog keyboardist as well as you heard), even have the DT symbol on my right big toe.

"Chris" (not my real name but whatevs)

Offline chrisgazeent

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »
P.S. Thanks for the great tips.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »

Only a fraction of it ever got transcribed, and it was done (and published) by the Voices UK team. I think parts of it ended up in 2 issues, but I don't recall which ones.

I see :(