Author Topic: The Candy Thread  (Read 4668 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Candy Thread
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 03:28:51 PM »
El Barto,  Sugar Daddy was another I loved that stuck to your teeth forever. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:59:40 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
SEE'S CANDY!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
SEE'S CANDY!

Love those.  My sister usually brings a box for us every year.  Not so much since she moved away a few years back.  I guess I should order one of those boxes this year. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 05:38:02 AM »
Gonna inject this thread with some much needed British candy:

Malteasers

Online a Brit would think formed chalk wrapped in chocolate was a good idea! :D

It’s probably a shorter to list of what I don’t like.  Will report back later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »
When I still ate candy Peanut Butter M&M's were my weakness. It didn't matter if it was a snack pack or a five pound bag from Costco, every packaging was a single serving size. One time, I ate so many in one sitting that my throat started to itch!  :lol

I always loved the Payday bars, too.

When I was a kid, my step-father would hoard these creamy-black-licorice chews that were divine. He would dole them out sparingly as an occasional treat. I wish I knew what they were called and if they are still being made. All I remember was there was a graphic of a thistle on the packaging.

Edit: I did some googling and it seems there are other folks who remember that candy. It was from the company Callard and Bowser and the candy was licorice toffee. The company is long gone now.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:13:35 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »
On my list of favorite candies, sour would be on the bottom.

Yeah, me too.  I love lime in my drinks, I use lime a lot in cooking, but for candy, sour is a no-go.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 07:16:08 AM »

Malteasers
Dairy Milk
Double Decker
Twirl
Flake
Crunchie
Yorkie
Jelly Babies
Sherbet Lemons
Cadbury Eclairs
Wine Gums
Murray Mints
Rolo
Polo
Chocolate Orange

I love the British style of naming things.  "Wine gums".   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »
Not a truffle guy at all, but there's a place down here that makes bonbons with the artistry of DaVinci, and the perfect design you'd expect from JPL. Every bite has the perfect amount of crispy, chewy, fruity, chocolaty, or crunchy that the particular confection calls for.  It's basically a $75 Witman's sampler.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, I can vouch for that.    :tup

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »

Malteasers
Dairy Milk
Double Decker
Twirl
Flake
Crunchie
Yorkie
Jelly Babies
Sherbet Lemons
Cadbury Eclairs
Wine Gums
Murray Mints
Rolo
Polo
Chocolate Orange

I love the British style of naming things.  "Wine gums".

Don’t fall for his lies!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
SEE'S CANDY!

Love those.  My sister usually brings a box for us every year.  Not so much since she moved away a few years back.  I guess I should order one of those boxes this year.

I have a love/hate relationship with See's Candy.  On the one hand, there are a handful of their candies that I LOVE.  However, I HATE the variety packs where you have to fucking guess what you're getting.  Is it a coconut cream (yum!)?  Or are you biting into a chocolate covered cherry (blech!)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
Sugar and I have always had a (un?)healthy relationship, as I have zero self control with it. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been a sucker for licorice. Twizzlers, Red Vines, Switzer... didn’t matter. Used to eat a 1lb bag of Twizzlers ropes inside an hour. I’ve shied away from the brand recently since they just flat out make me feel awful nowadays if I eat too much of them (which always happens). Australian licorice, however, is flat out where it’s at. Amazing stuff. And yes, I also love black licorice.

Swedish Fish are good, but if you’ve ever had Trader Joe’s Scandinavian Swimmers, you’ll know that they’re several times better, especially the sour ones.

And with chocolate candy, anything with peanut butter or mint mixed in is fantastic. Reese’s, peanut butter or mint M&Ms, Andes mints... awesome. Rice puffs are great too, along with caramel, so 100 Grands are right up my alley.

Just don’t put nuts (other than peanuts) with anything. Can’t stand them in my candy, or my baked goods. See’s candies are the worst with this as you never know what you’re getting because they never provide a damned key for their chocolate boxes, and they seem to put nuts in just about everything.

Edit: Seems pg beat me by nine seconds on the See’s thing.  :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »
SEE'S CANDY!

I have a love/hate relationship with See's Candy.  On the one hand, there are a handful of their candies that I LOVE.  However, I HATE the variety packs where you have to fucking guess what you're getting.  Is it a coconut cream (yum!)?  Or are you biting into a chocolate covered cherry (blech!)?

It's been a while, but don't those variety packs come with pamphlets that gives you the visual and description of the flavors?

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »
SEE'S CANDY!

It's been a while, but don't those variety packs come with pamphlets that gives you the visual and description of the flavors?

Most do, yes, so your typical Russell Stover or Whitman's boxes will give you a clue as to what you're about to pop into your mouth.  See's, for whatever reason (my uneducated guess is printing costs) does not, so every time you eat a chocolate, you're playing confectionary Russian roulette with a possible flavor you hate.

Online pg1067

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
SEE'S CANDY!

Most do, yes, so your typical Russell Stover or Whitman's boxes will give you a clue as to what you're about to pop into your mouth.  See's, for whatever reason (my uneducated guess is printing costs) does not, so every time you eat a chocolate, you're playing confectionary Russian roulette with a possible flavor you hate.

Exactly, although there are some that are obvious (e.g., the flat toffee chip things).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
I guess my favorite are reeses peanut butter cups, been pretty much my go to for candy/chocolate since I was a kid and still is today, although I really don't each much candy unless someone gives it to me.

However, I was thinking, I REALLY loved these growing up, specifically this package with three flavors and two sticks.  Loved eating the sticks at the end. 

I also was at a cracker barrel on my last roadtrip and if you've ever been in the store, they sell lots of candies.  I bought these on impulse and although I still haven't opened it, this was always such a fun gum as a kid:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 02:34:55 PM »
SEE'S CANDY!

so every time you eat a chocolate, you're playing confectionary Russian roulette with a possible flavor you hate.

haha yes!  I was always scared of what kind it was.  But if you go to the store you can pick what you want. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online pg1067

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 03:24:54 PM »
I guess my favorite are reeses peanut butter cups, been pretty much my go to for candy/chocolate since I was a kid and still is today, although I really don't each much candy unless someone gives it to me.

However, I was thinking, I REALLY loved these growing up, specifically this package with three flavors and two sticks.  Loved eating the sticks at the end. 

I also was at a cracker barrel on my last roadtrip and if you've ever been in the store, they sell lots of candies.  I bought these on impulse and although I still haven't opened it, this was always such a fun gum as a kid:

The two-stick pack of Lik-m-Aid was definitely the Cadillac of the candy aisle.

I'm actually a little surprised they still make Big League Chew given that it was initially created to emulate chewing tobacco.  One of my kid's PONY baseball coaches used to give out packs for the player of the game and other special things.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
Big League Chew is just shredded Hubba Bubba.

Convince me otherwise.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »
I'd say my top candies are:

Lindt
Ghiradelli
Toffifee
Ferraro Rocher
OMG clusters - any flavour; any chocolate

As for chocolate bars, there are only a few I actively dislike, but my faves would be:

Twix
Eat More - as a kid, this was my fave for some god awful reason
Special Crisp
Kit Kat - especially the chunky ones
Aero (love just letting 'em melt in your mouth)
M&M - peanuts, peanut butter, pretzel, caramel ... fuck the plain chocolate.  Those blow
Toblerone

Three Musketeers would fall under the least liked list - sorry Bill, those blow.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
I usually defer to ice cream to satisfy my sweet tooth, my preferred brand being Jeni's, and flavor either the brambleberry crisp or the Georgia Peach jam and biscuits (yes, it has pieces of biscuit folded into the ice cream, and yes it's as good as it sounds)

For candies, I think my only go to's are chocolate centered, M&M's (the pretzel ones are fucking dope), Kit Kat and the likes. I don't do hard candies, nor sour candies, they both have zero appeal to me, and with a mouth full of crowns, hard candies can be a very expensive treat.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
Stop making up words!

All words are made up words.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online pg1067

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2020, 08:33:50 PM »
I'm actually a little surprised they still make Big League Chew....

No way, I haven't seen it in decades!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
Big League Chew is a available at the sporting goods store I work at here in Wisconsin, multiple flavors as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:21:21 PM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
I've killed men over a Hershey bar.   Single favorite candy ever.

But... Hershey's.    My adult brain likes to think I can open a bar, and eat one row (of three smaller pieces) as a treat after dinner.  That would mean one bar would last four days (there are four "columns" of three on each regular size bar).   A bar has never lasted more than two days for me.   

I've never killed, per se.  But I like them enough that, if push came to shove, I could potentially see getting my hands bloody.  :biggrin:  I've never really been under the illusion that I could break off one row and keep the rest for later.  I mean, maybe with a king size.  But the regular ones?  Shoot, if that bars survives 2 minutes, it was lucky.  Two days is out of the question.

Good milk chocolate is just my favorite go-to in general.  And I generally don't care for dark chocolate, although it can be fine in combination with other things.  For instance, I love it when paired with mint, like in York Peppermint Patties or Junior Mints.  Around the holidays, See's puts out a box of peppermint patties with half the box being dark chocolate and half being mint chocolate.  That box is probably my favorite thing ever when it comes to candy.  The ratio of chocolate to mint is perfect, and just the flavor and quality of See's chocolate is hard to beat anyway.  The other contender for "favorite" is See's bordeaux.  That has to be 1a, with the mints being 1b. 

Big League Chew is just shredded Hubba Bubba.

Convince me otherwise.

Hmm...never thought about it before, but that's actually a pretty clever observation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 07:35:35 AM »
Reese's latest release ...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/business/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-no-chocolate/index.html

Reese's latest iteration of its wildly popular peanut butter cup will be all peanut butter, no chocolate, Hershey (HSY) announced on Monday.

The Reese's Ultimate Peanut Butter Lovers Cup is made entirely of peanut butter, both inside and in the peanut butter candy-flavored outer shell.
This is the first time in the company's 90-year-history that its peanut butter cups have taken chocolate completely out of the equation. Versions of the Peanut Butter Lovers Cup came out in 2019 and 2020, but those still contained some chocolate.

Online pg1067

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »
Reese's latest release ...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/business/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-no-chocolate/index.html

Reese's latest iteration of its wildly popular peanut butter cup will be all peanut butter, no chocolate, Hershey (HSY) announced on Monday.

The Reese's Ultimate Peanut Butter Lovers Cup is made entirely of peanut butter, both inside and in the peanut butter candy-flavored outer shell.
This is the first time in the company's 90-year-history that its peanut butter cups have taken chocolate completely out of the equation. Versions of the Peanut Butter Lovers Cup came out in 2019 and 2020, but those still contained some chocolate.

What the actual fuck?!  What is the point?  A long time ago, there was a series of commercials that had two people, one eating a chocolate bar and one eating peanut butter from a jar (like a maniac), bump into each other and mix their snacks.  Both are initially aghast:  "You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!" and "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate!"  But they both then realize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  This abomination would be like if two people with jars of peanut butter bumped into each other.  "Oh, hey...no big deal."

Reese's Sticks >>>>> Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
I like making my own; a jar of Skippy, a butter knife, and a Hershey bar is my kinda dessert.  It's not exactly the same - the real Reese's is not peanut butter, but a more roasted, almost burned, filling - but I like it for what it is.

Online pg1067

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
I like making my own; a jar of Skippy, a butter knife, and a Hershey bar is my kinda dessert.  It's not exactly the same - the real Reese's is not peanut butter, but a more roasted, almost burned, filling - but I like it for what it is.

And a bunch of sugar.

Honestly, my favorite Reese's hybrid is Reese's Pieces with popcorn (particularly movie theater popcorn).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
You guys ever have this?

It's excellent.

Online pg1067

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2021, 01:47:39 PM »
You guys ever have this?

It's excellent.

Nothing offensive in there, but (1) I'm not a fan of pretzels, and (2) the mini-peanut butter cups have the wrong ratio of chocolate to peanut butter.  I don't know that I'd buy it, but neither would I turn up my nose at it if it were offered to me.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2021, 06:19:59 PM »
It's Easter candy time!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2021, 06:54:26 PM »
Hell yeah it is. Cadbury eggs please: 
                                                      :drool:

Online pg1067

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2021, 08:38:51 PM »
Hell yeah it is. Cadbury eggs please: 
                                                      :drool:

Count me in!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2021, 10:53:29 AM »
Cadbury Eggs rock... but not that faux white/yolk crap.  Gimee Caramilk and/or Oreo Eggs.