Author Topic: The Candy Thread  (Read 4657 times)

Offline pg1067

The Candy Thread
« on: November 16, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
Inspired by a mini-discussion in another thread.

What do you like?  What don't you like?  And why?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Candy Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 03:18:02 PM »
I love dark chocolate. I like Ghiaradelli milk chocolate, but I find I don't like Hershey's milk chocolate.

I don't like peanuts. almonds, or coconut anywhere my candy.

I love Reeses cups, but other than a peanut butter sandwich, I don't care for peanut butter ice cream, toppings, that sort of thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
I have ZERO self control when candy is around, so I keep none in the house, but here's what I like in no particular order

Swedish fish
snickers
milky way
milky way midnight
3 musketeers
twix
m and m's
peanut m and m's
Cadbury creme eye
Hallow chocolate bunny
Laffy taffy
rolo s
caramello
reeses peanut butter cup
take 5
Butterfinger
Jr mints
York pepermint patty
Blow pop
Tootsie pop
Tootsie rolls
100 grand bar
Twizzlers
cow tails
charleston chews
Nerds
pop rocks
Candy ciggerettes
Bubble gum of all types
Sour patch kids
Kit kat
baby ruth
Airheads
Rock candy
Smarties

That's all i can think of off the top of my head. I will eat almost any type of candy and I will eat copious amounts if not stopped.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:33:02 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
NERDS. Nerds Rope too. Nerds eggs too. Best candy ever, Nerds. Also, Starburst jelly beans. Jolly Ranchers. Sixlets. Chiclets. FILL ME UP.

Chocolate is not candy, but candy coated chocolate is valid for this answer, hence the Sixlets. I figured I will toss that torch onto the fire right off the bat.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
I love dark chocolate. I like Ghiaradelli milk chocolate, but I find I don't like Hershey's milk chocolate.

I love Reeses cups, but other than a peanut butter sandwich, I don't care for peanut butter ice cream, toppings, that sort of thing.

I think dark chocolate is generally gross.  I love white chocolate, but it generally needs to have something in it

I love peanuts, but I prefer a Milky Way to a Snickers.  I had a Payday for the first time ever a while back, and it was really good.  I'm with you on the peanut butter, but my wife lives for Friendly's Reese's Pieces sundaes whenever she's in the northeast.  For me, Reese's Pieces and movie popcorn are the bomb!

My single favorite candy bar is the Whatchamacallit.  The original (which didn't have caramel) was really good, but when they added that thin layer of caramel, it put it over the top.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
I have ZERO self control when candy is around, so I keep none in the house

You sound like me!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
I have ZERO self control when candy is around, so I keep none in the house

You sound like me!

That's me with anything sweet. I have a bowl full of caramels on my living room table. I can't stop eating them. I could just throw them out or move them elsewhere, but... where's the fun in that?  :lol

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
I used to eat all sorts of candy when I was younger, but these days I don't really care for it much.
I still enjoy Reese's Cups and Twix, though. Those are the good stuff.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »
Real important thread right here!!!  :biggrin:  Yea I always have some kind of candy around too.

My favorite is Reese's Fast Break King Size.  One fat log of peanut butter nougat covered in chocolate.

Hershey's bar with Reese's pieces mixed in.  Actually almost all Reese's candy is good.

Cookies & creme Twix

Anything chocolate mint

Ghirardelli squares and Lindor truffles

Chocolate covered cherries at Christmas time

Creme eggs at Easter

Sunkist fruit gems

The usual Milky Way, Snickers, M&M's are all good.

A few years ago Russell Stover had apple flavored caramel in a chocolate shell.  It was DELICIOUS.  Hershey's has similar but the caramel is not as good.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:53:27 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »
Real important thread right here!!!  :biggrin:

Damn right!

Lindor truffles

Chocolate covered cherries at Christmas time

The appeal of truffles has always eluded me, and fruit and chocolate belong nowhere near each other...ever (although my mother would have completely agreed with you).

My favorite is Reese's Fast Break King Size.  One fat log of peanut butter nougat covered in chocolate.

Hershey's bar with Reese's pieces mixed in.  Actually almost all Reese's candy is good.

You reminded me...a close second to the Whatchamacallit are Reese's Sticks.  So damn good!

A few years ago Russell Stover had apple flavored caramel in a chocolate shell.  It was DELICIOUS.

When I was a kid, my mother used to buy Russell Stover candies.  I have this vague recollection of yellow and green-dyed chocolate, but I don't remember one way or the other if I liked them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
My favorite candy is sour, like Sour Patch Kids. I like milk chocolate, but in reasonable doses. I will wolf down sour or other fruity candies like Skittles like a beast.

Agreed on the almonds and coconut - I don't like coconut at all, in any form, or around anything I might otherwise eat.

Chocolate is not candy, but candy coated chocolate is valid for this answer, hence the Sixlets. I figured I will toss that torch onto the fire right off the bat.

We always called Sixlets "Poor Man's M&Ms"

NERDS.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
I don't like M&Ms :o

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »
Chocolate, candy, lollies, name it, I'll eat fucking anything.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 06:20:16 AM »

I've killed men over a Hershey bar.   Single favorite candy ever.

Big fan of Three Musketeers, too.  In the Halloween bowl, I'll reach for Almond Joy, Reese's, and... if need be, Snickers/Milky Way.

But... Hershey's.    My adult brain likes to think I can open a bar, and eat one row (of three smaller pieces) as a treat after dinner.  That would mean one bar would last four days (there are four "columns" of three on each regular size bar).   A bar has never lasted more than two days for me.    :tdwn

By the way, it's an old joke now, almost a cliche, but it's got a kernel of truth:  the 'fun size' bars can f--- right off.   I look at them and all I can think is that I am the subject of some sick, twisted psychology experiment.  I eat them anyway, but I certainly don't feel good about myself doing it.   ;)   The only exception is the original fun size treat, the Hershey's Kiss.   

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 07:59:45 AM »
I’m a chocolate guy first and foremost.

Chocolate and orange is a great combination.

Also circus peanuts get a bad rap.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline H2

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Circus peanuts are one of the members of the Unholy Trinity. Noooope.

Pocky is great. Love me some Pocky's (Pokies?).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
I could eat Whatchamacallit and 100 Grand Bars until the ends of time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
My favorite candy is sour, like Sour Patch Kids. I like milk chocolate, but in reasonable doses. I will wolf down sour or other fruity candies like Skittles like a beast.

Agreed on the almonds and coconut - I don't like coconut at all, in any form, or around anything I might otherwise eat.

Sour is my jam, too.  Unfortunately, most "sour" candy tends not to be sour enough for me.  I LOVE coconut but not almonds and don't generally want any nuts in my candy bars.  Mounds > Almond Joy, BUT they once had a "special" edition of Mounds with milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate, and that was the bomb!

By the way, it's an old joke now, almost a cliche, but it's got a kernel of truth:  the 'fun size' bars can f--- right off.   I look at them and all I can think is that I am the subject of some sick, twisted psychology experiment.  I eat them anyway, but I certainly don't feel good about myself doing it.   ;)   The only exception is the original fun size treat, the Hershey's Kiss.   

I have almost put this on the "mildly irritating" thread more than once.  What the fuck is "fun" about "fun size" candy bars?!  It's got to be something from the same guy who convinced the American public 50-60 years ago that bacon and eggs was the pinnacle of a healthy breakfast.

Also circus peanuts get a bad rap.

I do not get the social media hate that circus peanuts get.  For one thing, they're not terribly common, so I'm not sure why they get any focus, but I'm totally down for a handful if I can find them.

The stuff that I just don't understand are Peeps.  My wife digs them (but they have to be the original, yellow chicks), but I think they're gross.

I could eat Whatchamacallit and 100 Grand Bars until the ends of time.

I love you!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
What's the distinction of "circus peanuts"?   Is that different than just an old fashioned peanut in a shell (which I LOVE; NOTHING that you can do in public beats going to Fenway, getting a big cup of Guinness, sitting with a bag of peanuts and watching baseball).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »
What's the distinction of "circus peanuts"?   Is that different than just an old fashioned peanut in a shell (which I LOVE; NOTHING that you can do in public beats going to Fenway, getting a big cup of Guinness, sitting with a bag of peanuts and watching baseball).

It’s a gelatin/marshmallow type candy...

Offline H2

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »
Banana-flavored marshmellow candy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »
By the way...

What are the other members of "the Unholy Trinity"?

And what the F is Pocky?  Yeah, I know I could google it....

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »
Dark chocolate and Jolly Ranchers though not at the same time.

Logistically? I can geek out on watching how chocolate is made from the cacao tree to the final product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFhx_myB0Q

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
Let's see. I honestly don't like dark chocolate, but I like white chocolate. Maybe I'm racist. I dunno.

I love all the big standards, Reese's, Hershey, Snickers, etc.

I have been really big on peanut butter M&Ms for some months and I don't seem to be getting sick of them.

I also like sour stuff too but don't need it extra mega sour. Sadly, as a vegetarian, I don't eat gelatin, so that cuts out almost all gummy candies, which sucks. Luckily sour patch kids are vegetarian. Also someone else mentioned starburst jelly beans.....and yes....those are amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline H2

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »
By the way...

What are the other members of "the Unholy Trinity"?

And what the F is Pocky?  Yeah, I know I could google it....
Pocky is a chocolate covered stick -- you'll find it in the Asian snacks section of the grocery store.

Unholy Trinity = circus peanuts, black licorice, candy corn

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 01:26:39 PM »
Unholy Trinity = circus peanuts, black licorice, candy corn

My wife loves candy corn.  I think it's fine, but I never really want more than a small handful.

I also like sour stuff too but don't need it extra mega sour. Sadly, as a vegetarian, I don't eat gelatin, so that cuts out almost all gummy candies, which sucks. Luckily sour patch kids are vegetarian. Also someone else mentioned starburst jelly beans.....and yes....those are amazing.

There is a sour variety of Starburst jelly beans that are excellent.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 01:55:48 PM »
On my list of favorite candies, sour would be on the bottom.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »
When I was a kid, these things:

In school Now and Laters and Jolly Ranchers were king.

Hickory Farms used to sell cocktail flavored hard candies that were awesome. They're probably outlawed now.

As an adult I lean towards chocolate. I'm on a diet so this year I didn't go and stock up on discounted Halloween candy for the first time in ages. Generally I'd go with a big bag of bit sized Peanut butter cups, and one bag of mixed mini candy bars. Hershey's or Nestles, either way.

Insofar as alltime favorite candy bars, 100 Grand bar, Payday, and probably Score. There's certainly nothing wrong with a Snickers, either.

Generally I prefer milk chocolate to dark, but dark+orange is a winning combination.

Not a truffle guy at all, but there's a place down here that makes bonbons with the artistry of DaVinci, and the perfect design you'd expect from JPL. Every bite has the perfect amount of crispy, chewy, fruity, chocolaty, or crunchy that the particular confection calls for.  It's basically a $75 Witman's sampler.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
I remember those.  We had Brach's candy up in the northeast.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »
I remember those.  We had Brach's candy up in the northeast.
They might have been Brach's down here, too. I just googled "black and white peanut butter candy" and that's what I found. Now that I think about it, there's a completely different peanut butter candy (orange) that had the exact same qualities. Flakiness that sticks to your teeth.

edit: Chick-o-stick was the other one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
Gonna inject this thread with some much needed British candy:

Malteasers
Dairy Milk
Double Decker
Twirl
Flake
Crunchie
Yorkie
Jelly Babies
Sherbet Lemons
Cadbury Eclairs
Wine Gums
Murray Mints
Rolo
Polo
Chocolate Orange
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »
Stop making up words!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
Gonna inject this thread with some much needed British candy:

Malteasers
Dairy Milk
Double Decker
Twirl
Flake
Crunchie
Yorkie
Jelly Babies
Sherbet Lemons
Cadbury Eclairs
Wine Gums
Murray Mints
Rolo
Polo
Chocolate Orange

Murray Mints?  I don't know why, but that made me chuckle.

A couple years ago, I bought my kid a sampler pack of British candy bars for Christmas, and she dug most of them.  The one that she particularly like (and which I tried and liked) was a Curly Wurly (which resembles something we used to have here in the U.S. called Marathon).