Author Topic: Podcasters & Podcast fans  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Podcasters & Podcast fans
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
I'm both, I listen to a lot of tv recaps/reviews podcasts and just a couple of historical/political ones.
I started my own recap/review podcast a few month ago, dedicated to the new Netflix show Paranormal, based on my favorite books from my teen and tween years, but doing a solo podcast is proving to ridiculously time-consuming and exhausting, almost taking me to the verge of considering quitting at this point. Maybe my fault since I lose interest in things once they start feeling like a job, no matter how passionate I am about the subject.
Favorite podcasts? And any podcasters on DTF?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Podcasters & Podcast fans
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »
I've thought about doing a podcast with some friends. I've thought about it to the point of turning one of my bedrooms (since there's a spare) into a production room with a table and lights and all that, since I've always loved talk radio like Ron & Fez. Just a matter of time and money more than anything else.

I listen to the podcasts of Bill Burr and Joe Rogan religiously. I also watch Tim Dillon's podcast each week, and the Game Informer Show. I follow the Office Ladies podcast when I need to fill space with some mindless talk, and I've taken to listening to every possible Westworld podcast whenever it's on TV, just because I eat that up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
I never liked Bill Burr's comedy so I never checked out his podcast.
Joe Rogan I listen to when he has someone on that interests me, most recently his episode with David Blaine.
My mindless talk podcasts are numerous. Thick skin with Jeff Ross, I Don't Know by Jim Jefferies, Conan O'Brien needs a friend, Fake doctors/real friends about the TV show Scrubs and hosted by J.D. and Turk to name a few.
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is amazing but I'm always behind on it since it requires my full attention and then some. I used to listen to it on my 9 hours drive to work but now that I got laid off; my main podcast listening time is bed time and I usually fall asleep during the podcast, so that eliminates Dan Carlin completely since his episodes are 3 and 4 hours long and if I fall asleep during that it will be a needle in a haystack to find the exact spot when I stopped listening and fell asleep :lol 
My TV recap/reviews podcasts are my favorite podcasts, these remain my only constants.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »
I love Bill Burr, but I tried listening to his podcast. I just can't do it.

I've watched Joe Rogan's on youtube if he has someone I'm interested it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »
Well, I got a few weekly podcasts I listen to.

Cox N Crendor in the Morning.  A show about two Youtubers/Streamers, that started their careers with World of Warcraft content, and they talk about the random and weird stuff that's happening in their lives along with random traffic news, weather from a random city, sports section, and an interesting news article story (usually about Florida man).  One big diabolical thing they did was invent a sandwich called the McCoxNCrendor.  6 years ago, they decided it was a good idea to stuff a Jalapeno cheeseburger from McDonalds inside a McRib sandwich.  I tried it before.  I mean it wasn't bad, but it felt so dirty with all of that McRib sauce and all of that processed meat.  I regret nothing.

Steve Dangle Podcast.  A hockey podcast that talks and gives opinions about the big events that's going on the NHL, maybe some news on other leagues in the world, and some random conversations about anything.  The three hosts are Toronto Maple Leafs fans so a good portion of the show will talk about the Leafs in much bigger detail.  The main guy is Steve Dangle.  He creates Youtube videos and creates content for Sportsnet (a big Canadian Sports network).  He is probably going to be most known as the guy that created a video where he really flipped his lid when the Maple Leafs lost a game where a 42-year old Zamboni driver (which the Leafs actually employ as the driver) had to sub as an emergency goalie for the opposing team (the Carolina Hurricanes) for about half the game and got the win for the Hurricanes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:50:17 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 07:06:48 AM »
The Kirk Minihane Show on Barstool.  Local Boston sports radio guy.  Crazy history, crazy fans (Minifans) and the circus around him and the show.  It's amazing. 

Don't listen to Tim.  He doesn't know what he's talking about with Kirk.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 07:20:54 AM »
The Kirk Minihane Show on Barstool.  Local Boston sports radio guy.  Crazy history, crazy fans (Minifans) and the circus around him and the show.  It's amazing. 

Class. A. Douche.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 07:21:18 AM »

Class. A. Douche.

Class A Entertaining.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 07:29:34 AM »
Also check our "Rivals."  It's a podcast about Rivals in bands and band vs bands.  Really entertaining.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
I do a podcast with a few friends. Pretty much we take a band's discography, each episode is an album and we go album-by-album, track-by-track. Went though Van Halen, Metallica, and working our way through Pink Floyd now. I find it fun because it really makes me dig into and think about albums or songs I really haven't paid attention to before.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/light-the-sky-podcast/id1514681599
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »
I'll throw a plug in for my cousin...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8BmYqBwUiuyYJaSxxl7Bg

He just started a podcast.  He works for SNY network in NYC area which means he has access to many athletes, specifically Yankee players. I guess since covid, he's got more time on his hand to start doing this.  Here's the description:

Welcome to Keep Swinging with Matthew Stucko! This channel features interviews with elite athletes, entertainers, entrepreneurs and content creators to motivate and inspire others unlock their best self. Guests share their success stories and easy ways listeners can apply best practices to help them get closer to their goal.

Matthew Stucko is a two-time Emmy Award-winning content creator with nearly 20 years of experience in the number one media market in the United States. He's achieved success as an on-air host, reporter, writer, producer, editor and as social media talent.

Stucko brings his passion for creating media to the Keep Swinging podcast where listeners can find helpful ways to chase their passion and find success!

He only just started so there's not much content yet, but I know he'd appreciate any support.  He's also on apple podcasts under the same name but I don't do the Apple stuff.

Personally, I don't really listen to podcasts, but I've watched/listened to Joe Rogan a bunch of times.  I've checked out my cousin's as well, but otherwise I don't personally have too much to share.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
I do a podcast with a few friends. Pretty much we take a band's discography, each episode is an album and we go album-by-album, track-by-track. Went though Van Halen, Metallica, and working our way through Pink Floyd now. I find it fun because it really makes me dig into and think about albums or songs I really haven't paid attention to before.

I'll be following your Pink Floyd casts, are you guys talking over Zoom?

Your boy's got it down for a starter, I've been doing it for a few month and I'm 100% scripted cause I'm solo but I can't imagine having this flow of his if I'm interviewing someone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »

Your boy's got it down for a starter, I've been doing it for a few month and I'm 100% scripted cause I'm solo but I can't imagine having this flow of his if I'm interviewing someone.

He does interviews for a living with professional athletes and he's a natural talker so even though he just started with the podcasts, I think his professional experience really helps and makes it easier for him.  Having said that, I don't think I could ever do these myself for the opposite reason.  I'm not a naturally good speaker AT ALL and would probably run out of things to say real quick in an interview.  For my youtube videos where I add commentary to my video games, I always script it and have to keep it short.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »

I'll be following your Pink Floyd casts, are you guys talking over Zoom?

Right now we're recording on Skype and then I edit and upload the audio. We're looking to start doing some sort of live component soon and are looking into the best solution. Hopefully we will be launching a website soon as well, just to make things a bit more professional.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 07:07:04 AM »
I have a regular rotation of the following:

Joe Rogan - Pick and choose who I listen to as there's a lot of guests I have no interest in. I usually skip forward whenever any sort of boxing or martial arts talks come on as I find it painfully boring to listen to.
Bill Bert Podcast - Bill Burr and Bert Kreischer talking about whatever, sometimes there's a guest
Blocked Party - Comedy podcast with two hosts and a weekly guest to discuss whatever is on their mind or in their social media feed that is amusing and the guest discusses how they were blocked by someone, usually a famous person
Your Kickstarter Sucks - A weekly breakdown of six different Kickstarter projects ranging from grifty to just insane and usually all of them very bad
Doughboys - Fairly well known but the two hosts and a guest discuss and rate fast food chains
Dumb People Town - Commentary on crazy and/or stupid news stories read by one of the hosts to the others and a guest who usually know nothing about the news story
The P.O.D. Kast - A monthly podcast reviewing and discussing nu-metal albums. This is definitely a nostalgia trip.

Occasionally I'll dabble into:
The Boogie Monster - Supernatural comedy podcast that goes into random banter and usually ends up with topics like UFOs, cryptozoology, ghosts and the like. One of the hosts sometimes ends with recipes that I really need to try because they sound damn good.
The Dollop - Probably the first podcast I ever got obsessed with. If you haven't heard of it one of the hosts reads a story from history (usually American history) to the other host who doesn't know anything about it and at it's peak is hilarious although over the last year or so every episode has some sort of political and social commentary spin that makes it a bit off turning. The earlier episodes where they were just going over rival daredevils, obscure baseball players, and in one case a drunk in the 1800s who refused to die are so much more entertaining.