Author Topic: Wanted: An iPod Classic  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Wanted: An iPod Classic
« on: November 13, 2020, 02:53:09 PM »
Needs to be 7th gen (so 160GB); I don't care if it's got a failing battery or a failing hard drive, but cosmetically it can't be too beat up. Not looking to make a mortgage payment for it, but a fair price given the condition.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Wanted: An iPod Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »
Stadler, would you be open to me asking on social media ("for a friend...") if you don't find something here? I have lots of friends who are music nuts, and maybe someone would be willing to sell theirs. Just a thought.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 03:19:14 PM »
There were a couple on Amazon for $300ish. that's pretty good. I bought a second one a few years ago for $400. If I only knew they were discontinuing them, I'd have bought at least a couple of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
I used to have a couple of iPod Classics. I think I still have them sitting around somewhere. I'll let you know.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
I used to have a couple of iPod Classics. I think I still have them sitting around somewhere. I'll let you know.

Filled with Black Metal, Stadler! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »

Haha, possibly. Actually I'm pretty sure there was some Opeth, Dream Theater, and Rush on one of them. As far as black metal (or black metal adjacent) maybe Agalloch and Moonsorrow?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 03:40:31 PM »
Gave mine to my wife.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »

Haha, possibly. Actually I'm pretty sure there was some Opeth, Dream Theater, and Rush on one of them. As far as black metal (or black metal adjacent) maybe Agalloch and Moonsorrow?

Fuck yeah!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Classic-7th-Generation-160GB-Silver-Model-A1238/124438543994?hash=item1cf91d7e7a:g:QoEAAOSw5EFfruhE

Already on my watch list!   :).

Hoping to buy a "broken" one for ~$50.
If I end up finding mine, I will just give it to you, if you want to pay for shipping.

Done.  PM me when you know more.   If it matters to you, they will not be resold or profited on.  This is for me and me alone. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Classic-7th-Generation-160GB-Silver-Model-A1238/124438543994?hash=item1cf91d7e7a:g:QoEAAOSw5EFfruhE

If I end up finding mine, I will just give it to you, if you want to pay for shipping.

Done.  PM me when you know more.   If it matters to you, they will not be resold or profited on.  This is for me and me alone.

I'll take the other one!!!!!!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »

I'll take the other one!!!!!!!
Only found the one at the moment. Still looking for the second one.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »
I like to have my music separate from my phone; I bought the latest IPod Touch 7 when it came out. But I would prefer it to just be music instead of having all of the iPhone aspects to it (oh well lol). But the iPod Touch is pretty much the last of the music portable music devices I believe. The employee said not many iPod Touches are being sold and this is likely the last of them. They weren’t even out on display.

With that being said, the iPod classic, IMO, was/is the best music device and still has a big cult following. If Apple released an updated/modern version of it I would likely get it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 07:10:55 PM »
I've fallen behind in the UFO thread.

Yeah, I noticed!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
I like to have my music separate from my phone; I bought the latest IPod Touch 7 when it came out. But I would prefer it to just be music instead of having all of the iPhone aspects to it (oh well lol). But the iPod Touch is pretty much the last of the music portable music devices I believe. The employee said not many iPod Touches are being sold and this is likely the last of them. They weren’t even out on display.

With that being said, the iPod classic, IMO, was/is the best music device and still has a big cult following. If Apple released an updated/modern version of it I would likely get it.

That's me; I bought a 256GB phone to basically have "one" device.  But with apps and what not, I'm full and I'm not even at 160GB of music (that got me to about Oasis), which was the size of my old iPod.  So I'm trying to work something out. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
Stadler, just be aware that the classic isn’t compatible with iTunes anymore.  And Tim, I’m still listening and following to UFO, I can give reviews of solid if you like lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 07:21:24 PM »
And Tim, I’m still listening and following to UFO, I can give reviews of solid if you like lol

Don't be a stranger.

Stadler, just be aware that the classic isn’t compatible with iTunes anymore.

:omg:

Both of mine still work.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 07:23:08 PM »
Interesting. I haven’t had a classic in years but people online said iTunes wouldn’t read the classic anymore

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 07:30:49 PM »
Interesting. I haven’t had a classic in years but people online said iTunes wouldn’t read the classic anymore
If I remember correctly, there is a way to manually drop mp3 files onto the Classic. I think that's what I was doing when I was still using it. I just remember hating iTunes with a passion.  :P
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
If I remember correctly, there is a way to manually drop mp3 files onto the Classic. I think that's what I was doing when I was still using it. I just remember hating iTunes with a passion.  :P

I remember being curious if the classic would still work with iTunes and looked into it. People said it wasn’t compatible and I remember reading a list of obsolete devices from Apple and iPod classic was on there. But I think I remember reading there was ways around it. Besides manually dropping, I’m assuming it didn’t work as is right?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »
I have a very old classic and I just don't upgrade iTunes.  I don't use iTunes for anything else though, so I don't need it to be compatible with an iphone or anything like that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 07:36:51 PM »
I have a very old classic and I just don't upgrade iTunes.  I don't use iTunes for anything else though, so I don't need it to be compatible with an iphone or anything like that.

Same here.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »

I remember being curious if the classic would still work with iTunes and looked into it. People said it wasn’t compatible and I remember reading a list of obsolete devices from Apple and iPod classic was on there. But I think I remember reading there was ways around it. Besides manually dropping, I’m assuming it didn’t work as is right?
I'm not sure if it works in iTunes currently. I do remember reading that it was made obsolete and no longer supported by Apple. Like Lethean said, though, if you can get your hands on an old version of iTunes it will still work. I'm sure there's an archive somewhere out there where you can download older versions of software.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 07:40:02 PM »
Maybe the secret is not to update iTunes; they seem to recommend an update every week. Just keep your iTunes locked into 2010 and the classic will work fine lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
I would find that odd that it won't support the Classic. I have a Video (5.5 Gen) upgraded to 256 GB and I sync it with the current version. It's slower than molasses to copy music to it due to the age of the USB interface. I mean, painfully slow. Even from my new rig.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
I still have a 160gb, but don’t use it too often. Works fine with iTunes - at least it did a few months ago the last time I synced it. It doesn’t get used very often though - I’ve got an old iPhone 6 that is 128gb that has ALMOST all of my library on it.  I put a new FiiO M6 on my birthday/Xmas list. I want a single device that’ll hold my whole library, AND play Spotify.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 07:16:09 AM »
I have a Nano that I still use on occasion (it's ridiculously small - 8 GB - so I only use it if I need something specific, like if I'm going to see Flying Colors, I'll put all the FC on there) and I'm still able to use it with iTunes, though I'm also not on the most recent version of iTunes.   The latest upgrade is whack, if you ask me, so while I'm still doing my ripping project (see other thread; I'm putting all my music in lossless format onto a separate hard drive) I'm going to keep the older version.   If and when I'm forced to upgrade I'll have to figure it out.   

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
Bad news TAC, I can't find that other iPod Classic I had anywhere. If I do come across is and you still want it, I'll let you know.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »
Wait, what, why are these so expensive?

And googling it even my dust collecting 30gb Creative Zen Vision M goes for a non-flea market price. Why?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Bad news TAC, I can't find that other iPod Classic I had anywhere. If I do come across is and you still want it, I'll let you know.

Cool, yes, keep me in mind! :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
Hey Stadler, your inbox is full.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 06:10:44 PM »
Hey Stadler, your inbox is full.

I'll take it, then!! ;D