Poll

Hurt: Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash?

Nine Inch Nails
12 (54.5%)
Johnny Cash
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Hurt: Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash?  (Read 834 times)

Offline WildRanger

Hurt: Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash?
« on: November 03, 2020, 07:04:41 AM »
Which version of this song do you prefer?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Hurt: Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
The original by NiN.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
The original.   I'm a HUGE Johnny Cash fan, but there was a little whiff of "hipster" in the American Recordings.  I rarely bother with that kind of stuff, but I was a little cheesed at the hipster reaction to Cash (his playing the Viper Room to whoops and hollers by people that I guaran-fucking-tee you have never heard "Live At Folsom Prison" (album), or "Five Feet High And Rising" (song)).   "Hurt" embodies that; I much prefer his version of Sting's "I Hung My Head" if you want legendary country singers playing modern pop star songs. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »
Really love the Johnny Cash version, but the original is something else.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
I like both. Probably would be more likely to listen to the Cash version at this point but the NIN has a lot of nostalgia associated with it. One of those songs at a certain time growing up.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
Cash version. The video made the song even more powerful.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »
I could never get into Nine Inch Nails. Also, I am not a huge Johnny Cash fan. BUT Johnny Cash turned that song into at beautiful, timeless piece of music. As he did with several other songs. If you guys haven't checked out Johnny's AMERICAN RECORDINGS, I recommend that you immediately do so. Those albums are just utterly beautiful.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
I could never get into Nine Inch Nails. Also, I am not a huge Johnny Cash fan. BUT Johnny Cash turned that song into at beautiful, timeless piece of music. As he did with several other songs. If you guys haven't checked out Johnny's AMERICAN RECORDINGS, I recommend that you immediately do so. Those albums are just utterly beautiful.

Agreed on the American Recordings albums. I have them all plus the Unearthed box. Add to that the Prison concerts and a multi-disc box set of his classic material from '55 to '83.

I hate country music, but I love The Man In Black.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Very tough choice, as I love both versions dearly. Today I choose the original one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »

Agreed on the American Recordings albums. I have them all plus the Unearthed box. Add to that the Prison concerts and a multi-disc box set of his classic material from '55 to '83.

I hate country music, but I love The Man In Black.

Haha, that's exactly what I have.   All the American Recordings, the Unearthed box, both expanded concerts (Folsom and San Quentin) and The Essential Johnny Cash, a 3CD box.  Huh. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
NIN version is far superior but that's not to say the JC version is not without merit. It's a different interpretation.

The cover versions I can't stand is when they take literally just the words - and everything else is completely different.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
I had not heard the song till I saw a quote from it in the opening of The Dark Tower bk 7. It was attributed to Trent Reznor without the song title, so I had to hunt down what it was from. Ended up listening to the song, thought it was alright, but could never get in to NiN. Found out later there was a Cash cover, thought it was cool as well, but not something I'd make a point to listen to again.

So for me it is a bit of a push. If I had to listen to one, I'd take Cash's version.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NoFred

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
Music is an end of album track not much to improve - wash
Performances are both A+ - wash
Tie goes to the originator- NIN

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
No Sad Kermit option?