Author Topic: 425's Roulette v4: Hiatus  (Read 18434 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
 :corn

Are you going from top to bottom or getting the easier choices out of the way first?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

I'm planning to go from top to bottom, so it's the TAC-Evermind (Witherfall-Soen) matchup next. But there's a chance that could change if I run into one that's really tough.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
hope you're enjoying the swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff

Offline 425

I think I must have missed the origin of the joke that... Soen is "swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff"?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline 425

And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
God that still gives me a big laugh whenever I see that line  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Round 1 Results v. Evermind versus TAC
« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »
Match 2 Result:

vs.

Evermind (Soen - Lykaia) vs. TAC (Witherfall - A Prelude to Sorrow)

Soen Impression: This one feels very, very consistent. Not currently finding any really high points, but everything is strong all the way through.

Witherfall Impression: This album really has its moments, but I’m not sure yet whether the whole thing comes together into something I enjoy.

There are several matchups this round that are going to prove somewhat challenging to judge. The previous one, no offense to Luke and TMV, wasn’t really among them. This one was significantly closer, and in a good way, in that I have a pretty favorable opinion of both albums.

Witherfall has a sound that has interested me since I first heard them a couple of years ago. They combine heavy prog metal elements with acoustic sections, but in a way that avoids being derivative of other bands fitting that description (most notably Opeth). Their heavy sections are a little more in the power metal style, which led me to jokingly label them in my notes as Symphony X Opeth, but in all seriousness, this is a fairly distinct sound, as far as I can tell.

Heavy, fast metal can be somewhat hit-or-miss with me. I don’t particularly enjoy sections that are fast and heavy seemingly at the expense of melody, just hitting the user with a barrage of sound. The presence of some sections that edge into that was my big hesitation with the previous Witherfall song I heard, and it’s still a point of some hesitation for me on this album, because I think there are some sections here that approach that territory. For example, the section after the first chorus on We Are Nothing. Fortunately, however, those sections are relatively infrequent, and they are something I am getting used to and having less of a problem with over time.

On the other hand, there are the more melodic sides of this album, which I like quite a bit more. The electric guitar player in this band knows how to play a nice solo over an acoustic section, as in the middle of We Are Nothing or on Maridian’s Visitation. There are also heavier sections that also have a pretty good melodic side, like much of the song Shadows, which is an undeniably awesome track. And the solo at the end of Vintage is absolutely fantastic.

Another weak point for me on this album is the vocalist. His style moves back and forth between two styles that are not my favorites: overly gruff singing, like later Russell Allen, and shrill high notes without a lot of warmth to them. There are times when he’s not in either of these territories, and during those times I’m happy with what he’s doing, especially since he sometimes has some pretty good melodies to work with, as on Maridian’s Visitation or the chorus of Shadows. But there are also points I don’t love. But while I’ll freely admit I’d probably like this band significantly better with a different singer, it’s also not at all a case where the singer ruins the album.

As I said in the impression, I think this is an album with several clear high points. We Are Nothing is a pretty good opening epic which is at its best during its instrumental sections, both the acoustic-driven one in the middle and the heavier one toward the end. The bridge in the middle of Shadows is a memorable vocal passage, even if I’m ambivalent toward the screams that end it. And its chorus is no slouch, either. Finally, Vintage is a good long track, with the last few minutes standing out as the high point of the entire album.

I’ll also add that this album is proving to be a genuine grower. On the first listen, I really was noticing a lot of the downsides I brought up earlier, such as the slightly-too-heavy-for-me sections and my lukewarm opinion of the vocalist. But each subsequent listen has brought my attention more and more to elements of this album that I really like.

The swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff jokes aside, the main thing I hear about Soen, and the main knock against them, is that they are derivative of other prog metal bands, mainly Tool and to a lesser extent Opeth. That was cause for me to be nervous, since I don’t really care for Tool, and find Opeth to be somewhat hit-or-miss in terms of my personal enjoyment.

But I don’t really see it. At least, whatever it is that I find unappealing in Tool is not something I find in Soen. I actually quite like their sound. Their specific brand of mid-tempo prog metal tends to be pretty enjoyable, with some nice melodies and a texture that I’d describe as “smooth.” This smoothness is present in the guitar parts, which are precise without being highly technical, and have a nice, warm tone; and in the singer’s voice.

As I suggest in the impression, this album performs very well on one metric I use to judge albums, which is consistency. There are no real weak points or dips in quality here. Every song is at least pretty good. There’s also a very cohesive sound, which can be a curse if that sound starts to get boring or overstays its welcome, but that’s not a major problem here. At 49 minutes, the album isn’t long enough to drag too much, and the mood is such an important part of the album’s strength that it would probably feel weird to suddenly have a very different song come in and interrupt the flow of the album. If I’m not in the mood for it, this album does drag a little bit, but when I’m able to get into the atmosphere, the cohesion works well at this runtime.

The negative side of the impression also still holds mostly true. There really aren’t many moments or sections on this album that stand out for me as unusually great. Lucidity has a noticeably beautiful chorus and the riff on the last vocal section of Stray is pretty nice. Paragon is probably my favorite overall track as a slow-burn type closer, and its guitar solo is probably the biggest individual moment on the album. But ideally I would like to hear more in the way of individual songs and parts that I can call out as particularly excellent. Instead, this is an album that enjoy listening to as a total, where everything is generally pretty good, but one that lacks exciting tracks or moments that I want to go back to on their own or am eager to get to when I’m listening to the whole album.

Thus, this is a contest between two albums that I generally like and will strongly consider owning one day (especially the winner), but that nonetheless have a few deficits and imperfections. There are several entries this round that either one of these albums could have beaten without much difficulty. But the contest between the two of them goes to Witherfall. I think there’s more on this album that I’m able to grab onto and find exciting, more parts that I can imagine myself coming back to on their own. And the album is just growing so well. The elements I didn’t like so much at first are growing on me—for example, I’m more at home with the singer’s style than I was on my first listen, even though it’s still not my favorite. I’m finding myself enjoying the high points more and more each time, as well. Just to given an idea of the progression, one listen in, I had Soen as the more likely winner. After two listens, I considered it dead even. And halfway through the third listen to it (I had already heard Lykaia the third time), I knew Witherfall would get the nod.

I wouldn’t consider this a definitive statement on whether an album with better highs and a few lows will always beat an album that’s consistent without major lows but also without as many highs. I could see it going either way depending on how I feel about each particular album. In this case, at the end of the day, I just enjoy A Prelude to Sorrow more.

Favorite songs from Witherfall: Shadows, Vintage, Maridian’s Visitation

Favorite songs from Soen: Paragon, Lucidity, Stray

Winner:

TAC with Witherfall - A Prelude to Sorrow
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 425's Roulette v4: Round 1 Results v. Evermind vs. TAC
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2020, 01:02:55 AM »
well. i was wrong about that one, wasn't i. huh!

Offline 425

« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2020, 01:13:28 AM »
Well, you were right that I wouldn't particularly like the vocals! Just didn't foresee that there would be a lot of stuff I did like.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2020, 02:41:20 AM »
well. i was wrong about that one, wasn't i. huh!

Genuinely surprised by this outcome. Oh well, if I lose the second match I'll begin throwing some random stuff at 425 in a few months.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2020, 05:11:41 AM »
Yay, I win another point!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2020, 07:41:02 AM »
We've been bamboozled
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
I am very happy at this turn of events
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »
425, the three current roulettes are FUCKING CRAWLING. Did I send for round 2 yet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
You have not sent yet. Barring unforeseen events, the round 1 results should be done by the end of the upcoming weekend. Match 3 today, nothing tomorrow because of Thanksgiving in the US, then 4, 5 and 6 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
425, the three current roulettes are FUCKING CRAWLING
THESE WOUNDS THAT WOULD NOT HEAL

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
425, the three current roulettes are FUCKING CRAWLING. Did I send for round 2 yet.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
You have not sent yet.

Ok thank you. I’ve lost track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
The fact that I'm a live album afficionado and this roulette is open for live albums is giving me trouble I must say, I have twice as many things to think about now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Round 1 Results v. Sacul vs. Puppies_On_Acid
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
The fact that I'm a live album afficionado and this roulette is open for live albums is giving me trouble I must say, I have twice as many things to think about now.

I'm a bit of a live album aficionado, too. Just as a hint and encouragement. ;)

Match 3 Result:

vs.

Sacul (Glen Hansard - This Wild Willing) vs. Puppies_On_Acid (Marillion - Marbles)

Glen Hansard Impression: The second half of the album is more like what I was expecting from this artist, and I liked it much better than the first half on the initial listen.

Marillion Impression: This album is darker than I thought it was going to be. It’s the kind of darkness that I’m likely to connect with, though, and the first half especially shows promise.

This is another contest that has been fairly close, between two albums that both feel to me like potential growers. On both these albums, there are definitely parts I like and others that I’m as yet unsure about, and a general sense that both of these will open up more if given even more time. It’s another contest that’s definitely close in a good way, since I do have a positive impression of both of these albums, and a sense that the impression could become even better.

The style of This Wild Willing was somewhat surprising to me, since, based on what I’d heard from this artist, I was expecting more of stripped-back folk style. Instead, I got something somewhat more claustrophobic and electronic-influenced, which is particularly pronounced on the tense opener, I’ll Be You, Be Me. My initial listen to this album consisted largely of being taken aback by this unexpected style and trying to get accustomed to what I was hearing on this album, though I did enjoy some of the later songs, which are a little less produced and more like what I was expecting.

But on subsequent listens, I’ve started to appreciate the strength of some of the songwriting more and more, and spend less time comparing what this album is to what I thought it would be. And the songwriting here is at times quite strong. For example, Don’t Settle is just a fantastic track, with compelling vocal melodies that never feel rote, instead always feeling like they’re saying something new. The chord progressions and building instrumentation only add to the experience. Good Life of Song is another really wonderful track, between Hansard’s melodic and powerful vocals and the scaled-back instrumentation. Also very lovely is the closer, Leave a Light, which excels at the more pared-back approach that I was anticipating from this artist. Again, I like hearing the powerful vocals on this track.

Unfortunately, not every track is excellent as these, though most of them at least have their moments. Some of them feel like they somewhat overstay their welcome in terms of duration, and sometimes I don’t love the instrumentation. The Eastern-sounding elements on some songs, like Race to the Bottom and The Closing Door, do not work for me when they appear, and some of the noisier stuff like the last parts of I’ll Be You, Be Me and Weight of the World are obnoxious.

And while I have generally gotten used to the style of this album, I do wish Hansard sang in a different style sometimes. For example, almost the entire song Race to the Bottom has him singing in this almost whispered style, where his vocal part just doesn’t soar even a little bit the way it does on songs like Brother’s Keeper. This song overall is a low point on the album, since I don’t like the vocal style and the instrumentation feels too busy.

I like this album, and I think there is promise on some of the tracks I haven’t fully gotten into yet. But I think there are still things I don’t love in terms of the overall sound and instrumentation. I think I’d like the album somewhat more if the whole thing was more in the vein of Don’t Settle, Good Life of Song and Leave a Light. Those three songs really made a very strong impression on me, and while some others are fairly good, like the opener, there are a lot of dips and valleys for me in between these highlights. The album as a whole is still good, but it’s not something that’s likely to become a major favorite of mine.

The Marillion album is quite long, at almost 100 minutes, and there’s a lot here that I just have not had the time to fully absorb, as that would take several more listens and thus draw out this round by a couple more weeks (were I to afford that time fairly to all albums). Thus, I am in a position of trying to judge how well I like this album before I’ve really taken it all fully in. Nevertheless, I do have some fairly specific thoughts.

First, I think I generally stand by my first impression that, though this album has a certain darkness to it, it’s a type of darkness that I can connect with and don’t find alienating. There’s a certain beauty to the melancholy expressed on many of the songs here.

My preference for the first half of the album has also been enduring in this case. The first disc here, from The Invisible Man through Ocean Cloud, has a really nice subtlety to it. The songs here take some time to develop, and they feel like they reward patience. The Invisible Man feels like a massive grower, especially because of how slowly it builds up over its 13-minute runtime. But this pattern holds for most of the shorter songs, too. There are also a lot of nice subtler moments in the instrumentation, particularly from Steve Rothery’s guitar.

Ocean Cloud plays out this style of song on a grand scale, and while I haven’t had time to fully map out its structure (which usually takes me a little while with longer songs), it’s a promising epic. The chorus is certainly one of the highlights of the whole album. I’m not quite sure how I feel about the heavy vocal section right in the middle yet, but at least it doesn’t spoil the whole thing.

It’s on the first disc where I’d really praise Steve Hogarth’s vocal performance. It’s relatively understated and subtle, but the emotions are all in the right places. The chorus of Fantastic Place, for example, is sung really nicely.

I must confess, though, that I don’t have as favorable an opinion of the second disc. This part of the album seems to go in more for an alt-rock sound, which does not do as much for me as the subtlety of the first disc. I don’t dislike it, but it’s just mostly a step down from the very good first disc, and thus a bit of a disappointment when listening through. Among the shorter songs, I like Don’t Hurt Yourself best, particularly for Trewavas’s excellent bassline. You’re Gone is also solid. Angelina is more in the style of the first disc, but I’m not as much a fan of it. Don’t really like the sexual undercurrent in the lyrics, and the chorus melody just doesn’t work for me.

Of course, Neverland is an exception to my attitude to the second disc. This is a song I had previously received in roulette and enjoyed, and I still enjoy it quite a lot here. It feels grand and emotionally powerful at the same time.

Somewhat tangentially: I want to give all the songs here more time to settle in, but I’m honestly somewhat tempted to say I’d like this album better as a single-disc album. This thought, of course, led me to look up what the actual 1CD release of this album looked like, and… what a travesty! Why those songs? Why no Ocean Cloud, why no The Only Unforgiveable Thing, why no Genie? I’m in no way ready to make my own definitive 1CD version of this album, but I would be inclined to include the entire first disc plus Neverland, which would all fit with room for another song or two from the second disc.

I feel like both of these albums have more to offer than I’ve had the chance to fully discover; both of them have genuinely excellent tracks (Don’t Settle, Neverland) as well as some tracks I could do without (Race to the Bottom, Angelina). I’ve gone back and forth on which one I like better, but ultimately I’m going to choose Marbles as the winner. It’s grown on me a little better, with songs like Ocean Cloud and Fantastic Place showing really significant promise. It’s an album I could see growing into something I listen to with some frequency, while the Hansard album seems like something I would enjoy more on occasion, or pull individual tracks from.

Favorite songs from Glen Hansard: Don’t Settle, Good Life of Song, Leave a Light

Favorite songs from Marillion: Neverland, Fantastic Place, Ocean Cloud

Winner:

Puppies_On_Acid with Marillion - Marbles
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
I gotta listen to that Glen Hansard album because all I've heard from him has destroyed me emotionally. Marbles is an incredible record though.

Offline 425

« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »
There are definitely some emotionally powerful moments on that album. Some of the songs I will probably keep coming back to for a long time, it's just that some of the others didn't do as much for me. There's a good chance the album as a whole is a bit more your thing than it is mine.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Your assessment of Marbles is basically how I felt after first hearing the album. The first disc was amazing and the second had some less than stellar songs. However after years of revisiting the album the second disc has fully opened up for me and I couldn't do without it. Granted you don't have the time in a roulette to listen to an album over several years, so your thoughts are understandable. Just don't give up on the second disc quite yet. Give it time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »
Hell yes Marbles! Wish I'd sent that.

Among the shorter songs, I like Don’t Hurt Yourself best

Big yes. One of my favourite Marillion songs actually.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #340 on: November 26, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »
Pretty fair comments, I think you'd enjoy Glen's previous work a lot more, like Rhythm and Repose, which is where Bird of Sorrow comes from. Well played, Puppies.

Offline HOF

« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »
The thing about the Marbles one-disc version is it was intended to be more commercial, almost like an extended single. It only existed as a way to get the album into retail stores. So they weren’t going to put Ocean Cloud on it and make it like a 6 song release, and they also kind of avoided the story arc of Genie>Fantastic Place>The Only Unforgettable Thing>The Damage. So the rest of the track list kind of makes sense when you realize the ones they cut were all parts of that little suite plus the epic length Ocean Cloud.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
yeah that one i thought would be close but i'm not super surprised it went to marillion in the end

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Round 1 Results v. romdrums vs. HOF
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »
Pretty fair comments, I think you'd enjoy Glen's previous work a lot more, like Rhythm and Repose, which is where Bird of Sorrow comes from. Well played, Puppies.

I will check out that album at some point!

Your assessment of Marbles is basically how I felt after first hearing the album. The first disc was amazing and the second had some less than stellar songs. However after years of revisiting the album the second disc has fully opened up for me and I couldn't do without it. Granted you don't have the time in a roulette to listen to an album over several years, so your thoughts are understandable. Just don't give up on the second disc quite yet. Give it time.

Huh, interesting to hear that you had such a similar experience, and then had the second disc open up later. I won't give up on it, then!

Here's the next matchup, romdrums vs. HOF. I'm also going to try to come right back in a few more hours with the results for the Elite vs. Cyril matchup, as well. Ideally I'll be able to post the last results, Buddyhunter vs. The Walrus, tomorrow night. So it's probably time to start thinking about sending for round 2, although I understand if you want to see the rest of these results, first.

It's on the first page of the thread, but as a convenient reminder, here are the next matchups:

Puppies_On_Acid vs. TAC
romdrums vs. Evermind
twosuitsluke vs. Elite
The Walrus vs. Sacul
Cyril vs. HOF
Buddyhunter1 vs. MoraWintersoul

Match 4 Result:

vs.

romdrums (Voyager - Colours in the Sun) vs. HOF (Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard)

Voyager Impression: On first listen, most of this album was pleasant and enjoyable, but didn’t make a very strong impression, with the possible exception of the last song. We’ll see if that changes.

Big Big Train Impression: I really like the instrumentation of this album, the texture of its sound. Still need more time to see how much I enjoy the compositions as I dig into them.

If I were to rank all the matchups this round in terms of overall quality, I think this is likely the one I would call the strongest. Both of these albums are easily in the top half of the round, and it really, really is a shame that one of them has to lose.

Voyager is a band that I almost feel like shouldn’t be able to get away with what they’re trying to do. Combining djent-tinged prog metal with 80s pop just seems like something that shouldn’t work, or perhaps should be a fun gimmick for an album or two before quickly getting old. No comment yet on consistency across multiple albums, but here on their seventh album, this conceit seems to be going pretty strong.

One potential pitfall for me on pop or pop-oriented albums is the songs feeling too similar to one another, with the result that I might pick out a favorite two or three songs and forget the rest, finding the overall album experience too monotonous. I think this album avoids this trap pretty well. Even though all the songs are pretty much within the same stylistic bounds, most of them seem to have their own identities. And they don’t just have hooks, although the hooks are, of course, important. There are strong riffs, good rhythm playing, and even a nice keyboard solo on the closing track, Runaway.

The vocalist is a really good fit for this style of music. His voice is strong enough to compete with the heavy riffs, but melodic enough to carry the pop sensibility of this album. I’d also be remiss if I mentioned the vocals without noting the guest spot from Einar Solberg on Entropy, whose distinct touch adds to that chorus.

Another good point for this album is that it doesn’t fall off later in its runtime—the last three songs are among the stronger ones on the album, especially the closer, Runaway, which is my favorite song here.

This is absolutely an album in a style I like pretty well that I enjoy all the way through. As one might suspect based on my recent writeups and on the style of the album, I think the main drawback is that it doesn’t have that killer song that just stands out as superb and really memorable by itself.

The Big Big Train album is in the opposite direction from radio-friendly pop-prog. This is prog at its most unapologetically prog. Long songs, unconventional instrumentation, not even an attempt at mainstream appeal… and I love it.

Sometimes, I get roulette entries that almost feel to me like cheating because of how good they are and how well-suited for my tastes. Of course, it’s not cheating to just send a good entry, and I know my own tastes so much better than anyone sending such an entry could possibly have. But sometimes it just is absolutely the right entry for me. This is not the most extreme case of this in my roulette history, but it definitely is an instance.

Put simply, this album is just full of nice, intricately structured compositions with wonderfully warm instrumentation. All the brass and flutes and other instrumentation really give this album a lovely texture, as I said in the impression. I don’t feel I have come close to fully exploring most of these songs, and look forward to continuing to come back to this album over and over to get more and more of them. This is especially true of Victorian Brickwork, a complex song with an absolutely beautiful vocal refrain (“The love you never meant to hide’), and, of course, the epic title track, which I am only beginning to map out.

I have already once this round called out an album specifically for having lyrics I really dislike, and I will do so again before the weekend is over, so I also want to take an opportunity to point to an album whose lyrics I really do *like.* I haven’t intricately examined all the lyrics on this album, but what I have heard and read clearly takes life very seriously and focuses on issues of genuine human importance. I want to especially praise The Underfall Yard, which I take to be a celebration of a bygone era of immense scientific progress, and a lament of the downfall of reason. It’s a celebration of precisely one of my favorite periods in history, and it speaks to issues that I find profoundly important. I was surprised to encounter a song that deals so directly with these subjects, and it’s nice that I also enjoy the song quite a bit musically. Also, Winchester Diver taught me a really interesting story from history that I never knew about before: the story of William Walker, who spent years diving into the groundwater to shore up the foundation of Winchester Cathedral to keep it from collapsing.

I like Colours in the Sun, and I don’t think I’m done listening to it. But if you’ve been reading straight through, I don’t think it will come as a huge surprise that The Underfall Yard is my favorite entry of the round, and thus the winner of this matchup.

Favorite songs from Voyager: Runaway, Colours, Severomance

Favorite songs from Big Big Train: The Underfall Yard, Victorian Brickwork, Evening Star

Winner:

HOF with Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline HOF

« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »
Oh, you are going to love Big Big Train if you are a fan of history and that period in particular. Their next several albums would revisit those themes frequently. You pretty much summed up my feelings about BBT when I first heard them. In my view, they are the premier modern prog act. The songwriting, instrumentation, and production are on another level. And Victorian Brickwork is probably their crowning achievement. It has everything I love about this band. You should also love English Electric (the two disc version), and don’t skip the wonderful EP Far Skies Deep Time (a companion of sorts to The Underfall Yard).

Offline 425

« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
That is good to know! Thank you for the guide.

It seems like their albums from TUY onward have been very well-received, while there are few reviews for the pre-TUY ones. Are those also worth looking into down the road?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
1 Voyager loss :corn

Offline HOF

« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2020, 07:49:20 PM »

It seems like their albums from TUY onward have been very well-received, while there are few reviews for the pre-TUY ones. Are those also worth looking into down the road?

So TUY was the first album with singer David Longdon, as well as Dave Gregory on guitar, and they kind of took the band to another level (Nick D’Virgilio first appeared on the prior album The Difference Machine, but he also was a big part of the band’s transformation). They went from kind of a hobby project to a more serious band at that point. So there is a jump in the caliber of playing from the early albums.

But I love the first four albums too. They have a unique quality about them, and ultimately still feature the songwriting of Greg Spawton, the one constant in the band’s history. Original singer Martin Reed’s voice had a frail but really emotive quality that I really like. The debut, Goodbye to the Age of Steam is a well written but somewhat awkwardly produced album with some dated keyboard sounds. However, the next one, English Boy Wonders, is one of my favorite BBT albums altogether. It’s probably their most personal album lyric-wise.

The next two with Sean Filkins singing are really good too. Gathering Speed is sort of a concept album about the Battle of Britain, and The Difference Machine is more of a sci-fi themed concept album, but it has some really cool material. It featured NDV, Dave Meros, and Pete Trewevas, so the playing on that one is of a high quality. I’d say the production improved from album to album with each of the first four.

So I guess I’d say dig into the Longdon era first, but there is a lot to like about the early albums too, and I’d definitely recommend them.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2020, 07:58:27 PM »

So TUY was the first album with singer David Longdon, as well as Dave Gregory on guitar, and they kind of took the band to another level (Nick D’Virgilio first appeared on the prior album The Difference Machine, but he also was a big part of the band’s transformation). They went from kind of a hobby project to a more serious band at that point. So there is a jump in the caliber of playing from the early albums.

But I love the first four albums too. They have a unique quality about them, and ultimately still feature the songwriting of Greg Spawton, the one constant in the band’s history. Original singer Martin Reed’s voice had a frail but really emotive quality that I really like. The debut, Goodbye to the Age of Steam is a well written but somewhat awkwardly produced album with some dated keyboard sounds. However, the next one, English Boy Wonders, is one of my favorite BBT albums altogether. It’s probably their most personal album lyric-wise.

The next two with Sean Filkins singing are really good too. Gathering Speed is sort of a concept album about the Battle of Britain, and The Difference Machine is more of a sci-fi themed concept album, but it has some really cool material. It featured NDV, Dave Meros, and Pete Trewevas, so the playing on that one is of a high quality. I’d say the production improved from album to album with each of the first four.

So I guess I’d say dig into the Longdon era first, but there is a lot to like about the early albums too, and I’d definitely recommend them.
Big Big Train didn't really click for me until Gathering Speed. Although English Boy Wonders has some good stuff on it. Bard did nothing for me though. Goodbye to the Age of Steam was kind of meh to me. Everything since Gathering Speed has been good to excellent though!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2020, 08:05:55 PM »
fuq