Author Topic: 425's Roulette v4: Hiatus  (Read 18492 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums - v. R1 Hangman
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2020, 06:50:11 PM »
I hope Marbles goes over well then.....It's a bit of a rollercoaster ride lyrically. It isn't a concept album exactly, but it also kind of is.....sort of. Or more maybe thematic in nature. It does end on a more hopeful note with Neverland though.

Did you send the 1 disc version or the 2 disc version?  I have both, and I think the 2-disc version is miles better.  The added songs really complete the experience, and the revised running order puts a whole different spin on the whole thing.  Marbles is a masterpiece, and I think it's some of the most inspired work they've ever done.  I've never really thought of it as hopeless, because even in the darkest lyrics (Invisible Man, The Only Unforgivable Thing, Ocean Cloud) there is a ray of light.  It is an emotional rollercoaster, especially lyrically, but I think it pays off beautifully.
The 1 disc version doesn't exist.....change my mind... :biggrin:

No need.  ;D

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
I hope Marbles goes over well then.....It's a bit of a rollercoaster ride lyrically. It isn't a concept album exactly, but it also kind of is.....sort of. Or more maybe thematic in nature. It does end on a more hopeful note with Neverland though.

Did you send the 1 disc version or the 2 disc version?  I have both, and I think the 2-disc version is miles better.  The added songs really complete the experience, and the revised running order puts a whole different spin on the whole thing.  Marbles is a masterpiece, and I think it's some of the most inspired work they've ever done.  I've never really thought of it as hopeless, because even in the darkest lyrics (Invisible Man, The Only Unforgivable Thing, Ocean Cloud) there is a ray of light.  It is an emotional rollercoaster, especially lyrically, but I think it pays off beautifully.
The 1 disc version doesn't exist.....change my mind... :biggrin:

So this was my first experience of the album. While I will fully admit the two disc version is superior, there is a certain flow to the 1 disc album that I do enjoy. The Marbles I-IV sections sort of play a more prominent role, and I like how Fantastic Place is more of a dramatic high point, and more of a center piece rather than being close to the beginning. It really sort of takes on a different meaning when isolated from Genie, The Only Unforgettable Thing, and The Damage. It is more definitively just a love song rather than being part of that tale of infidelity. Same with Neverland I suppose.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #282 on: November 11, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »
Any updates? Just tell me my album's too depressing already! :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
Absolutely. I have some vaguely-worded impressions that I'll post tonight, and hopefully the first results will come tomorrow. I currently plan to go in the order that I listed the matchups, so that puts Luke and Mora on the hot seat first!

The second half of the album is more like what I was expecting from this artist, and I liked it much better than the first half on the initial listen.

There are several people this round who could potentially be facing some heartache that maybe could have been avoided by following the guidance of the tastes section of the OP. This is most true for person who sent this album, which has parts I enjoy but also leans heavily into all sorts of things I specifically tried to say I don’t like.

This album really has its moments, but I’m not sure yet whether the whole thing comes together into something I enjoy.

I really enjoy the depth of the instrumentation on this one. It feels like there’s so much to dig into.

I completely see why people would think this is a great album, but I’m pretty skeptical that it’s going to connect with me.

On first listen, most of this album was pleasant and enjoyable, but didn’t make a very strong impression, with the possible exception of the last song. We’ll see if that changes.

This album is darker than I thought it was going to be. It’s the kind of darkness that I’m likely to connect with, though, and the first half especially shows promise.

There’s a particular type of thing that keeps happening that I would like to have stop happening. There’s also stuff I like on this album, though. I really don’t know what I’ll end up thinking.

This one feels very, very consistent. Not currently finding any really high points, but everything is strong all the way through.

I was surprised by how emotional some of the songs were. Just wasn’t something I was expecting from this artist.

I really like the instrumentation of this album, the texture of its sound. Still need more time to see how much I enjoy the compositions as I dig into them.

This whole thing is just so nice. That’s really the best word for it. Especially the big, sweeping melodies that feature on many of the tracks.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »
There are several people this round who could potentially be facing some heartache that maybe could have been avoided by following the guidance of the tastes section of the OP. This is most true for person who sent this album, which has parts I enjoy but also leans heavily into all sorts of things I specifically tried to say I don’t like.
nah i actually don't really care if you hate the album because i send what i want without regrets & i'm gonna clean house in the other three rounds anyways so w/e

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums - v. R1 Impressions
« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2020, 04:46:56 AM »
I'm interested in the two impressions that mention instrumentation. Think those could be mine.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums - v. R1 Impressions
« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2020, 08:19:51 AM »
Plot twist, all the impressions are for Marbles. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #287 on: November 12, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »
Is mine the one about darkness

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
God I hope mine is the one about not reading the tastes section
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #289 on: November 12, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »

Doubtful since I sent the same artist.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #290 on: November 12, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »

I really like the instrumentation of this album, the texture of its sound. Still need more time to see how much I enjoy the compositions as I dig into them.

This whole thing is just so nice. That’s really the best word for it. Especially the big, sweeping melodies that feature on many of the tracks.[/i]

I’m thinking mine might be in here somewhere.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: November 12, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »

Please allow me to hate on myself  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #292 on: November 12, 2020, 02:34:14 PM »

Please allow me to hate on myself  :lol

:biggrin:

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums - v. R1 Result 1/6
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »
Okay, some personal issues delayed me a little bit, but here I am with the result of the first matchup. Hopefully I will have the second one done tomorrow (which puts TAC and Evermind on the hot seat).

Match 1 Result:

vs.

twosuitsluke (The Mars Volta - DeLoused in the Comatorium) vs. MoraWintersoul (Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars)

The Mars Volta Impression: I completely see why people would think this is a great album, but I’m pretty skeptical that it’s going to connect with me.

Sieges Even Impression: I really enjoy the depth of the instrumentation on this one. It feels like there’s so much to dig into.

This matchup was a contest between two albums from which I received a song in my second roulette—I received Son et lumière and Inertiatic ESP from The Mars Volta, and Unbreakable from Sieges Even. Neither of these songs scored particularly high, so it mattered a lot how well the rest of the albums performed and how good these songs were in the context of the album.

I warned Luke about the dangers of sending me The Mars Volta. While I liked Inertiatic ESP musically, I found its lyrics pretty repulsive, and was not keen on some dissonant noisy elements that came in at the end of the song. These are elements that can really turn me off. Nonetheless, he wanted me to hear this album anyway, in hopes that I’d nonetheless come around on it.

So, how did the full album come off? Honestly, my view of the album is very similar to my impression of its opening song. There is some genuinely strong material here, and I get why Luke might have thought this would be my thing. There’s sort of a Coheed thing here where this is proggy music with a post-hardcore edge. And I do genuinely like the parts of this album that lean into that, like the central parts of Roulette Dares, Eriatarka and Televators. There are a lot of strong, jagged riffs here and some powerful vocal melodies on songs like the former two. And I have nothing bad to say about Televators, which is my clear favorite on the album and one that I may well come back to as a stand-alone song someday.

But when I say I don’t like a certain kind of lyrics, and that it can hurt you if you send those lyrics anyway, that’s something I mean. So many of the lyrics here are pretty repellent to me, which leaves me feeling conflicted about the vocal lines that I do like. For example, I like the swagger of the chorus to Eriatarka, but it sours somewhat for me when I realize he’s singing about tapeworms and “cocooned meat” (?).

I also do not like the dissonant/noise stuff that shows up rather frequently on this album. That stuff is just obnoxious. It has no musical value in my eyes, and it only serves to annoy me and lower my opinion of the songwriter. There are bad instances of this throughout Drunkship of Lanterns, for example, and during the second half of Cicatriz ESP, cutting in half an instrumental section with a guitar part I enjoyed for several minutes of just utter amelodic nonsense. Also, the end of This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed, which is extremely obnoxious. Or right in the middle of Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt… I could go on.

The result is that this is an album that I have to acknowledge as having a lot of really strong elements, but one that I ultimately don’t find myself eager to return to. The parts I enjoy, I don’t enjoy enough to ignore those that I don’t. And the double whammy of gross-out, drug-related lyrics and interludes of noise is too much to take. I’ve been trying to say this as kindly as possible, but… look, in many cases, I’m outright telling you guys, “I do not like these particular things.” I’m telling you that for your benefit and for mine. And if you send those things anyway, you have to expect to lose.

I’m leaving The Mars Volta unbanned. I don’t think they are for me, but I’ll leave it open in case they have a later album where they totally drop the weird noise stuff and morbid lyrics that someone wants to risk sending. But I really advise against sending more of the same.

So The Mars Volta gets a mixed review in which I emphasized the negative elements. It wasn’t an album I hated, but it also wasn’t an album I have unmixed positive feelings about. It should be pretty clear, then, that this was Mora’s match to lose. Did Sieges Even do what they needed to do?

This album is a perfect proof of the limits of song roulettes. Unbreakable did not make much of an impression on me when I listened to it on its own, without the rest of the album, in a fairly large round with a bunch of other songs. I really feel like I gave this song the short shrift years ago when I heard it on its own, because hearing it now, in the context of the album, it feels really deep and rich.

That description is pretty fitting for most of the album. There really feels like a lot going on here between a pretty impressive rhythm section, including basslines that always feel like they’re going somewhere interesting, and guitar parts that vary from smooth acoustic sections, like on Blue Wide Open, to some heavier, low riffs. These compositions really feel like they reward repeated listenings, and I’ve gotten more out of them the more I’ve listened to this album.

Another strong point of this album is that it feels quite cohesive, structurally, and it feels like it tends to get stronger as it goes along. Ultimately it doesn’t matter too much whether an album’s strongest songs are at the beginning or the end, but it is nice to feel like an album is picking up steam as it goes along, like this one does. The early songs certainly have their moments, but the album really hits its stride about halfway through with Stigmata, and peaks on the wonderful climactic combination of Lighthouse and Styx.

Particularly in comparing these two albums, another strong point for the Sieges Even album is that its emotional tone resonates pretty well with me. I’m including this point in part to help those who are trying to get a sense of what I’m looking for in an album’s mood. This is not an overwhelmingly joyful album; in fact, there is a strong sense of sadness on a lot of the tracks. But it is a sadness that is imbued with a sense that life has meaning and beauty. That’s going to do a lot better where I’m concerned than an album that seems to focusing on ugliness, depravity or nihilism.

This album, I should say, is not an instant top favorite of mine. It’s an album I like a lot, but not one that has totally bowled me over. That’s not really a problem; few albums absolutely bowl me over, especially on the first few listens. I just don’t want to give the impression that this is the absolute ideal album and that one can do no better. I wouldn’t say I know this album deeply enough to be able to confidently say where I find it particularly weak, but I will say that one area an album could potentially do better than this one is to have an absolute knock-out song that impresses me as a standalone piece. Styx comes somewhat close, and it’s a song that I’ve appreciated significantly more on each listen, but it hasn’t quite gotten there so far. But all that said, this really is an album I like quite a bit.

I think the winner here is quite clear from the writeup. Mora gets off to a strong 1-0 start with Sieges Even. Luke falls to 0-1 after taking a chance on The Mars Volta.

Favorite songs from The Mars Volta: Televators, Inertiatic ESP, Eriatarka

Favorite songs from Sieges Even: Sequence VIII: Styx, Sequence VII: Lighthouse, Sequence IV: Stigmata

Winner:

MoraWintersoul with Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums - v. R1 Result 1/6
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2020, 12:12:26 AM »
Sieges Even would be my favorite of those two as well. :metal

:corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2020, 12:23:45 AM »
Yeah I think everyone saw that coming. Well, at least I've got my prediction correct!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
Sacul was the only one who predicted The Mars Volta would win. Presumably Luke at least hoped it would.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2020, 12:38:04 AM »
completely unsurprising... I'd say give Amputechture a chance some day because it's the one TMV album that doesn't screw around with long noise interludes and it's also the best but I still don't think you'll like it regardless. i'm definitely not gonna send it myself, anyways  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2020, 02:56:38 AM »
I can't say that I've ever really paid much attention to the lyrics with TMV, my ear is just taking in all that is going on musically, first and foremost. But I can understand that being a deal breaker.

I'm cool with that. Literally the point of this roulette is to try and sell you on bands that you have seen potential in, with past roulettes.

I'm going to take an even greater risk with my next choice and send something I don't think anyone would expect from me. I might even send all of my submissions from the list, I'm not sure yet.

I can't remember who I'm up against next but congratulations  :lol

Congrats to Mora  :tup

I'm also listening to Marbles by Marillion as we speak, to see what all the fuss is about.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »
Wow, what a great detailed write-up!

I like The Mars Volta myself, for their ‘wackiness’, so to say. I don’t think Deloused is their best work, that would be Frances the Mute for me, but that one isn’t devoid of random noises and contains quite some strange lyrics as well, so I don’t think that would be for you. I’ve never really been bothered by the lyrics and song-titles. They’re nonsense and to me serve no other goal than to be there. There’s probably a meaning or a story in there, but to me it’s just part of the band. Strange lyrics fits strange music well.

I must say the band’s musicianship is amazing though, especially on the last track of the aforementioned album, Cassandra Gemini. If there’s one song you want to try to give this band another chance, it should be this one. It’s hands-down my favourite by the band and one of my favourite pieces of music ever.

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »
I'm glad this album hit you exactly where it hit me, emotionally speaking. Markus Steffen is one of my favorite lyricists, one of the few who can talk pure philosophy without boring me because he always brings it back to earth, and the music perfectly complements that, because it is fairly cerebral and instrumentally complex prog that has a lot of lightness and playfulness (but not comedic playfulness, which you said you didn't like) in it. It's not the safest prog album to recommend to everyone, but I hoped it would be a good one for you.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »
That Sieges album is so f'ing good

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »
You're welcome  :) :corn :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

Too bad Spotify removed it right after you sent it to me LOL. One of these days I'll buy the CD.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2020, 12:10:16 PM »

Too bad Spotify removed it right after you sent it to me LOL. One of these days I'll buy the CD.

Is this album better than anything from Subsignal?  Because I bought The Beacons of Somewhere Sometime and I thought it was absolutely awful.  The mix is terrible, and the songwriting was 70 plus minutes of aimless "meh".  And, given that Subsignal seems to be the successor band to Sieges Even, it doesn't make me want to check them out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »

Is this album better than anything from Subsignal?  Because I bought The Beacons of Somewhere Sometime and I thought it was absolutely awful.  The mix is terrible, and the songwriting was 70 plus minutes of aimless "meh".  And, given that Subsignal seems to be the successor band to Sieges Even, it doesn't make me want to check them out.
I enjoy Subsignal to some extent, but they are really just a poor imitation of Sieges Even.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
They're similar, for sure, but I would say Navigating is better than most Subsignal, except maaaybe La Muerta imo. Subsignal RULED at progpower last year. They were one of my favorite sets by far.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
The standout Subsignal albums are Touchstones and Paraiso, Beacons was too neo-prog and I didn't vibe with La Muerta. I wouldn't call them "a poor copy", given that they just changed their name after they changed the rhythm section and added keyboards, the songwriting core of the band is the same. In fact, whenever someone says "I wish bands would just change their name when they change the sound/the members", I always think of the momentum the name change cost Sieges Even/Subsignal, who arguably didn't even change that much but they started fresh anyway.

But yeah, they were on some special juice while writing that album. Touchstones is my favorite Subsignal album and it comes pretty close, so I'd recommend it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
Aww you don't like La Muerta, Mora? Every Able Hand and Even Though The Stars Don't Shine are my favorite songs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
I should probably revisit it seeing how my taste in music was really shifting at the time and I haven't heard it since the month it came out, but yeah. It just didn't have that special something.

I'm guessing Beacons aged worse than it, because I just went through the tracklists and I couldn't sing back one chorus from Beacons.

Offline 425

« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2020, 12:04:40 AM »
Hey guys, quick update. Unfortunately, a loved one is going through a serious (though hopefully no longer life-threatening) medical crisis, and I might need to slow down roulette activities. Hopefully not too much or for too long, but I just thought I'd explain myself up front in case things take a bit longer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:16:15 AM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2020, 12:08:19 AM »
no worries, it's uuhhhhh

that kind of year  :-[

Offline HOF

« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2020, 06:49:31 AM »
Hey guys, quick update. Unfortunately, a loved one is going through a serious (though hopefully no longer life-threatening) medical crisis, and I might need to slow down roulette activities. Hopefully not too much or for too long, but I just thought I'd explain myself up front in case things take a bit longer.

Hope everything is ok. No worries about the roulette.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2020, 07:05:54 AM »
Hoping for the best buddy, no worries if things slow down. Thinking of ya. :hug:

Offline 425

« Reply #314 on: November 24, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
I really appreciate the well-wishes. This has been a scary and difficult week and a half. Fortunately, everybody is okay, but only after a lot of worrying.

My life is now back to something resembling normalcy, and so I am now back to listening to roulette albums, and will hopefully have results for the second matchup tonight.
And if spirit's a sign,