Author Topic: 425's Roulette v4: Hiatus  (Read 18432 times)

Offline 425

425's Roulette v4: Hiatus
« on: November 01, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
Welcome to my fourth roulette, which is also my first album roulette! I'm a bit surprised I'm already at my fourth roulette (fifth if you count the championship I judged in a few years ago), but I guess I just can't get enough of hearing what music DTF has to offer!

I'll get right to the details:

Rules:
The ruleset for this roulette was born out of two revelations.

One, I have been sent a lot of artists in roulette whose songs I’ve liked, but whose albums I’ve never really gotten into. Sometimes it’s because I tried an album once or twice and it didn’t immediately click with me and I forgot about it. Sometimes it’s because I get the impression that they’re more a singles artist and I won’t be into their albums. Sometimes it’s because I just haven’t gotten around to them yet.

Two, the thing I find hardest about running a roulette is translating the way I feel about a song into a specific numerical score. I think it’s a known thing among people who’ve played in my roulettes before that I’m too nice with my scoring. Some of that is born out of just not knowing what to do and erring on the side of a high score. Anyway, I am bad at numerical scores and trying to come up with them is my least favorite part of a roulette, and the part that makes them so time-consuming for me to run.

Thus, the rules.

First, this is a head-to-head album roulette. There will be four rounds. There will be an even number* of competitors. Each round, the competitors will be paired into one-on-one matchups. The matchups will be randomized and posted in advance, with the sole provision being that two people will not be matched up against each other twice. So you’ll face four different people, no matter what.

I think, for the sake of time, the total number of competitors will need to be capped at 12. That's already a lot of albums to work with, and I don't think it would be fair to try to do any more than that.

Each person will send an album. I will listen to the albums several times. I will decide which album I like better, and the person who sent that album will be the winner of that matchup. I’ll make a post with writeups describing my thoughts on both albums, and I’ll name the winner.

After four rounds, there will be a playoff with an as-yet-unspecific number of competitors (I’m sort of thinking four, but it depends on how many people play and how the win-loss records sort out). The competitors will be chosen by win-loss record. The playoff will then lead to a champion being crowned.

What about the albums? Here are the rules for those. First, you can always send an album that is <80 minutes—I consider this to be the maximum length for a “single” album. Even if it’s a <80 minute album that is for some reason split across two discs, you can send it. You can send a studio album or a live album. Once in the entire competition, you can send a double album. That’s an album in the 80-160 minute range. But, if you send a double album, your opponent will be told, and they will have an opportunity to change their submission if they want. You may not send an album longer than 160 minutes at any time.

Second, and this is where my backlog of artists from whom I’ve never checked out a full album comes in: In the second post, below the banned list, there is a long list of artists I’ve received in roulette before. Two out of your four submissions have to come from artists on this list. The list is long and generous, and includes some artists who aren’t mainline prog or metal, along with plenty who are. I realize that some people may not like this restriction or be able to accommodate it, but this is the sort of roulette I want to run this time, so while I understand if you don’t want to play, that’s the way it is. (You do not have to send any artists from this list in the playoff.)

I have divided the list into two sections, and the division is just a way for me to indicate which ones I think are likely to do pretty well and which ones are riskier. Feel free to ask me why any of the riskier ones are risky. Also, I indicate which previous roulette I received each artist in (RC = Roulette Championship), so you can go back and look what I said about whatever song(s) I have already heard.

All winning artists will be banned after being sent, while some losing artists will be at my sole discretion, depending on whether I liked them well enough to think sending another album from them would be more of a safe choice than a risky one.

As for format: I strongly prefer Spotify, so if your album is on there, please send that. If it’s not on Spotify, Amazon Music works, too. If neither of those work, then YouTube is acceptable.

*If we end up with an odd number, I’ll try to seek out one more person to join or ask if there’s someone who’s on the fence about staying in. I don’t want to have to exclude anybody, but we need to have an even number for this to work well. If we have to go to a last resort I’ll have everyone send one track off their first submission, and worst song will be out.

TL;DR on the rules, because I know many of you don't want to read that mammoth section:
  • Four rounds
  • Randomly selected head-to-head matchups
  • I choose which one I like better, that person wins
  • Playoff at the end featuring the best win-loss records
  • Send albums <80 minutes
  • Send an album 80-160 minutes once, but opponent will be told
  • Two of four albums must come from the required bands list below
  • Winning artists are banned. Some losing artists are banned, at my discretion.
  • Spotify preferred, Amazon Music good, YouTube if necessary

Tastes:
Even if you’ve played in my roulettes before, I recommend reading at least the last part of this, because I’ll say some things about my attitude toward albums that might be new information for you.

First, just the big-picture taste stuff. If I haven’t made it clear enough, I’m a prog person through-and-through, and I’ve been in an especially prog-heavy phase the last couple of years. That’s not to say non-prog can’t work. Pop, indie-type rock (so long as the granola vibe isn’t too heavy), certainly some types of non-prog metal, all have the potential to succeed here. But I do expect most of my favorite submissions will likely be prog. Either rock or metal.

Mood can be a factor for how well I like music. First, I don’t really like music that is, at its core, unserious. There are some artists out there, including in prog, who have some sort of comedy element. That’s fine. I don’t really like that. If you send me something that is trying in some way to be humorous, it’s probably going to lose. That also goes for albums where the lyrics are all obviously tongue-in-cheek or about rather frivolous topics. The sort of “hey isn’t partying fun” or “wow I like having random sex” lyrical themes are just… they’re going to turn me off. Don’t do it. Besides not liking unserious moods, I can offer only some general guidance. Depressing music is very hit-or-miss with me. If you send me a very sad album, especially if it’s the bleak kind of sad, there’s some chance that I just won’t like it very well. That’s not to say I don’t like any sad albums or even any bleak albums, I do, but I favor music that isn’t so relentlessly sad, or at least where there’s a little bit of hope.

Anything that makes significant use of dissonance is a massive, massive risk. I almost certainly won’t like it. For example, I think the end of Dream Theater’s Misunderstood nearly ruins the whole song.

The growl thing. I really don’t know what to say here at this stage. I’ll just put it this way: Sending any album where growls are more than an occasional accent is taking a risk. Maybe I’ll think the growls work and it’ll pay off, maybe I’ll hate them and it’ll bomb. It’s a risk. And it’s probably a bigger risk in an album roulette than in a song roulette, because I’ll get more annoyed at having to listen to bad growls for an hour than I would listening to them for 5-10 minutes. If I was playing strictly to win, I would send only cleans. But I know some people have other motivations, which is perfectly fine!

Here’s the album-specific part: Album flow, which I recognize can be something of a subjective thing, is important to me. If there’s a sense of sequence, I like that better than if it feels like just a collection of songs. Also, consistency in quality is really important to me. Other things being equal, I will rank an album where every song is a 7 or 8 higher than an album that has a 10 and a 9, but also a 3 and two 5s. This is especially an issue, I think, on older albums. It seems like many albums from the 70s and 80s include one or two lame tracks that are just there to fill up the album that the band sort of mailed in. I’m going to be harsher than most people on the album for having that mailed-in track. Even if the other songs are good. I want the whole thing to be good and there not to be some nonsense in the #6 slot, and I will resent that nonsense and resent it hard. You’ve been warned.

Album length is not a huge factor for me, so long as it’s good. But the sweet spot is probably around 50-65 minutes. If it’s a long one, it should be good and consistent. If it’s a short one, it should feel like it packs a lot in that shorter time. But length will never be an absolute deal-breaker. I love plenty of albums well outside that range.

As always, happy to answer any tastes questions you may still have.

Participants:
1. Evermind
2. Cyril
3. Puppies_On_Acid
4. MoraWintersoul
5. HOF
6. romdrums
7. Sacul
8. Buddyhunter1
9. Elite
10. twosuitsluke
11. The Walrus
12. TAC

Matchups:

Round 1:
twosuitsluke vs. MoraWintersoul
Evermind vs. TAC
Sacul vs. Puppies_On_Acid
romdrums vs. HOF
Elite vs. Cyril
Buddyhunter1 vs. The Walrus

Round 2:
Puppies_On_Acid vs. TAC
romdrums vs. Evermind
twosuitsluke vs. Elite
The Walrus vs. Sacul
Cyril vs. HOF
Buddyhunter1 vs. MoraWintersoul

Round 3:
Cyril vs. romdrums
The Walrus vs. Puppies_On_Acid
Buddyhunter1 vs. TAC
Evermind vs. Elite
twosuitsluke vs. Sacul
MoraWintersoul vs. HOF

Round 4:
twosuitsluke vs. Cyril
Evermind vs. HOF
TAC vs. Elite
Sacul vs. Buddyhunter1
romdrums vs. The Walrus
Puppies_On_Acid vs. MoraWintersoul

Helpful Links:
v1 Roulette
Roulette Championship
v2 Roulette
v3 Roulette
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:04:32 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline 425

Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Silver(?) Albums
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
Banned Artists:
Amorphis
Anabasis (note: not The Anabasis)
Anathema
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe
Anderson/Stolt
Angra
The Antlers
Arcane Roots
Arch/Matheos
Avantasia
Ayreon
Beyond the Bridge
Black Sabbath
Blaze Bayley
Blind Guardian
Bon Iver
Bruce Dickinson
Bruce Hornsby
Caligula’s Horse
Circus Maximus
Coheed and Cambria
Coldplay
David Maxim Micic
The Dear Hunter
Death Cab for Cutie
Delain
Devin Townsend (incl. Band/Project and Casualties of Cool, but not including Strapping Young Lad)
Dimension Act
Dio
Dire Straits
Don Henley
Dream Theater
Enchant
Eric Gillette
Fates Warning
Flaming Row
The Flower Kings
Flying Colors
Frameshift
Frost*
Genesis
The Gentle Storm
Green Carnation
Haken
Headspace
IQ
Iron Maiden
James LaBrie
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Karmakanic
Kino
Led Zeppelin
Leprous
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lorde
Markéta Irglová
Meat Loaf
Megadeth
Metallica
Mystery
Neal Morse (incl. Band)
Need
Nightwish
The Ocean
Oceans of Slumber
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Pattern-Seeking Animals
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution
Queensrÿche
Rainbow
Redemption
Rush
Seventh Wonder
Sleeping at Last
Sonata Arctica
Sons of Apollo
Spock’s Beard
Star One
Steve Harris
Steven Wilson
Sufjan Stevens
Sunburst
Susanne Sundfør
Symphony X
Taylor Swift
Tesseract
Thank You Scientist
Threshold
Thrice
Transatlantic
Tuomas Holopainen
Voices from the Fuselage
The Who
Wolverine
Yes

Required Artists (must send for two out of the first four submissions):

Recommended:
After Forever (v1)
Amadeus Awad (RC)
Aquaria (v2)
Arcane (RC)
Arena (v2)
Big Big Train (v2)
Billie Eilish (v3)
Borknagar (v3)
CHVRCHES (v2)
Darkwater (v3)
Daughter (v2)
David Gilmour (v1, RC)
David Gray (RC)
Daydream XI (v3)
Demons and Wizards (v3)
Distorted Harmony (RC, v2)
Dream the Electric Sheep (RC)
Echolyn (v2)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (except Tarkus) (v2)
Epica (except The Divine Conspiracy) (N/A)
Evergrey (v2)
Fair to Midland (v1)
Florence + The Machine (RC)
Galahad (RC)
Glen Hansard (RC)
Grayceon (v1)
Heart of Cygnus (RC)
Helloween (v2)
iamthemorning (v1)
Jethro Tull (v2)
Karnivool (v2)
Katatonia (v2)
Kevin Gilbert (v1)
Kingcrow (v1)
Lonely Robot (v2)
Lords of Black (v3)
M83 (v2)
Maestrick (v1)
Marillion (v1
Mew (v1)
Moon Safari (v2)
Muse (v2)
Myrath (RC)
Ostura (v2)
Pagan’s Mind (RC)
Pain of Salvation (v2)
Pathosray (v3)
Pendragon (v2)
Phideaux (v1)
Rishloo (RC)
Riverside (except ADHD and LFatTM) (v1)
Sieges Even (v2)
Soen (v3)
Stratovarius (except Polaris) (v2)
Styx (v1)
Subsignal (RC)
Teramaze (v3)
The Flaming Lips (v2)
This Day & Age (v1)
Toto (v2)
Triosphere (v3)
Vanden Plas (v1, v2)
VOLA (v2)
Voyager (v2)
Witherfall (v2)
Within Temptation (v3)

Have Reservations:
22 (v2)
A Novelist (v3)
Agalloch (v2)
Agent Fresco (v3)
Agents of Mercy (v2)
Alcest (v1)
Alt-J (RC)
Alter Bridge (RC)
Amendfoil (v3)
Amy Shark (v2)
Anciients (v2)
Anciients (v2)
Arcade Fire (v2)
Avenged Sevenfold (v2)
Baroness (RC)
Beach House (v1)
Beardfish (except Mammoth) (RC)
Bjørk (v3)
Bjørn Riis (v2)
Boston (v3)
Brand New (v1)
Breaking Orbit (v3)
Camel (v2)
Carly Rae Jepsen (v3)
Chris Squire (v2)
Christina Perri (v1)
Cloud Cult (v2)
Communic (v3)
Cynthesis (v2)
Cyril (v3)
Deep Purple (v2
DGM (v3)
dredg (v2)
East of the Wall (RC, v3)
Extreme (v1)
Frequency Drift (v2)
Frightened Rabbit (v2)
fun. (v1)
God is an Astronaut (except self-titled) (v1)
GUNSHIP (v2)
Half Moon Run (v1)
Hammock (RC)
Icefish (v2)
Ihsahn (v3)
Innerwish (v2)
Janelle Monae (v1)
Jon Lord (v1)
Kaddisfly (v2)
King Crimson (v2)
Lee Abraham (v2)
Low Roar (v1)
Mandroid Echostar (RC)
Mark Knopfler (v1)
Massive Attack (v1)
Mazzy Star (RC)
MGMT (v3)
My Chemical Romance (v2)
Nightingale (RC)
No-Man (v1)
North Atlantic Oscillation (v2)
Perihelion Ship (v3)
Periphery (v3)
Peter Gabriel (v3)
Portishead (v1)
Pretty Maids (v3)
Protest the Hero (v3)
Queen (v2)
Rhapsody of Fire (v2)
Rise Against (v1)
Sarah McLachlan (v2)
Sigur Rós (v2)
Skyharbor (v2)
Stevie Wonder (v2)
Talk Talk (v3)
Tallest Man on Earth (v1)
The Contortionist (v3)
The Hirsch Effekt (RC
The Lone Bellow (v1)
The Mars Volta (v2)
The Mayan Factor (v1)
The Night Flight Orchestra (v2)
The Pineapple Thief (v1, v2)
The Winery Dogs (v2)
Three (v2)
Toehider (v2)
Tom Waits (v3)
Tori Amos (v3)
Tower of Power (v1)
Twilight Force (v3)
Ulver (v2)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:57:53 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 03:33:22 PM »
I'm always in!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
I looked at the lists of second chance artists, and I could comfortably send at least ten albums just using the list. I'd like to apply for this roulette, hope you'll have me!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
I’d play if you’ll have me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Can we send for round 1 if we are ready? Or would you like us to wait.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 03:50:11 PM »
sent

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »
Puppies, :mora:, HOF, you're all in.

Cyril, you sent a banned artist.

And yes, you can send for Round 1 now if you want, although if you prefer to wait to see who you're matched up against that's perfectly reasonable.
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
 :lol Cyril failing right out of the gates.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
Sweet! It doesn’t appear the links to the previous roulettes came through in your original post BTW.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »
425, if i did, it's your fault for putting them in the wrong section then  :lol
i just doubled-checked and both artists i sent are still definitely in the "required artists" section and not the "banned artists" section

Offline 425

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
It was actually my fault; I had them on both lists by mistake, but definitely meant to have them on the banned list. Which they always were on. They were just also in the required one by accident.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
i'm assuming "have reservations" artists don't count for the required artists, also?

Offline 425

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
They do. Let me explain that here to be absolutely clear, even though it's also in the long block of text in the post:

The required list includes both the "recommended" and the "have reservations" lists. You can send your two from either of those lists. The reason I'm making a distinction is just to say that you should be cautious about the "have reservations" list. Not that I'm guaranteed not to like them, but that there's some reason to think I might not. There can be a variety of different reasons an artist would be in that list. Maybe I wasn't crazy about the vocals. Maybe they seem more like a singles artist than an album artist. Maybe I liked the song I heard but wasn't sure I would love a full album of the same. Etc.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
I was gonna join to send pretty much anything but prog so I'll sit this one out unfortunately
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
Sweet! It doesn’t appear the links to the previous roulettes came through in your original post BTW.

This should be fixed now.

I was gonna join to send pretty much anything but prog so I'll sit this one out unfortunately

Sorry to hear that, but it's understandable given the present direction of both of our tastes and what I'm trying to get out of this roulette.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline romdrums

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
I’m in if you’ll have me.

Round one sent, btw.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:41:46 PM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: 425's Roulette v4: Second Chances and Head-to-Head Albums
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
I think I've got enough for four rounds if you'll have me :corn

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »
I think I've got enough for four rounds if you'll have me :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
Great, you're all in!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
 :tup and sent!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »
Ahhh, I wish I could join, but sadly, my knowledge of the bands on the recommended list are non-existent except for Muse (which I only know the hits and their last two albums) and Within Temptation.  Oh well, sounds like a fun concept though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
Hell yeah!

I'll send something this evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »
Could I join too?

Interesting concept!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2020, 11:42:15 PM »
I'll take part dude, think I've got some good wiggle room.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 05:48:40 AM »
Actually let me in
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 07:23:21 AM »
Actually let me in

Finally noticed all the power metal in the required artists? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
Actually let me in

Literally yes  :lol finally gave the banned list a once over and was like oh well this will take zero effort

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »
Actually let me in

Literally yes  :lol finally gave the banned list a once over and was like oh well this will take zero effort
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
Sent one of the required artists :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
Oh by the way, can I wait until I know who am I up against and then send my album?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »
Oh by the way, can I wait until I know who am I up against and then send my album?
I'm voting against this as I think matchups should be kept blind until all albums are received

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2020, 10:49:23 AM »
I don't mind either way, but I'd argue if we're allowed to know who are we up against in advance it could lead to more fun because we basically all know each other's musical tastes pretty well.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Matchups:
(Will be posted once participant list is complete.)

I don't think I'll really change what I send depending on who I'm up against so I don't care much either way. I already sent for Round 1 and I don't know who I'm facing off with yet. :lol