Author Topic: Dream Theater Day...plus!  (Read 1915 times)

Offline geeeemo

Dream Theater Day...plus!
« on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
I have been a fan for nearly 5 years now. Been to 7 shows, including one of the London shows where they filmed the new live release. But 1 year ago today was the Best. Day. Ever. I hosted a DT USA preshow meetup, VIP, front row and after-show with the band. I took my son and it was  something I will never forget.
But to top it off, today I realized my best girlfriend has fallen in love with DT.
Now I have tried to get so many people turned on to Dream Theater. My husband, he can take it or leave it. My son, who really likes DT but likes other bands more. And random people I meet and talk music with.

This past summer, my best girlfriend came to visit. We had not seen each other for 9 years. We met when I needed a babysitter, we both had 1 year olds and were pregnant with our 2nd. It was an instant best friendship. Unfortunately, United Airlines where we worked filed for bankruptcy (911) and they move to PA, and we to NV.

She came to Reno this summer and we did a road trip to the northern CA coast. The night she arrived, she says to me, "Do you have any Dream Theater videos?". I was sure because she is so sweet and had seen how much I had posted and talked about DT.

Now we have never had a relationship with music as part of it. It was kids, family, God. I am pretty sure she does not like metal.

So I think, "what to show her?"  I decided to show her the Mike Mangini audition documentary. She really liked it and the next day, when we got in the car said, play some Dream Theater. Well! Of course! I played a variety and we enjoyed our weekend so much.
At one point I played PBD, and gave her the background on the song. She then told me how she remembered a Friends episode where Pheobe and Rachel were going to get tattos. Pheobe chickens out, Rachel chastises her so Pheobe says she will get a blue dot and it will be like her mom looking down from heaven... My friend says, "we should get pale blue dot tattoos to remember our weekend and how awesome it was!"
Now neither of us have tats. We are old and just aren't interested. We contemplated it, but never did as we didnt have time really.
The thing is, we  have been texting each other every morning am for about 2 years and our texts now include the sign off:
pbd. And a blue heart emoji.

I didnt think much of all this until when JP's new record came out and I told her and she shared that she was listening to it a lot a work. She is a church secretary. Soon I discovered she had been listening to DT quite a bit. Had some favorites..Goodnight Kiss and Nightmare. I really didnt beleive she was a fan until she texted me yesterday and said. "Ugh! Politics is stressing me out and so I am listening to DT!. Oh and Train of thought sounds good how they sing and I like Vacant. Oh and my husband got me a DT tshirt for Christmas!".

So not only did I finally turn on someone to DT, buy it is my best friend, and she's all in!.
I really hope for more concerts, because I am going to show her the best time! :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Dream Theater Day...plus!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »
Yeeees, that feels so good  :hefdaddy the older I get, the more I just want new friends I can talk music with, or to talk new music with old friend :metal it's a really good feeling.

In my experience, you're actually more likely to get people outside of the metal/prog universe into DT, because they don't have those preconceptions.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
That's awesome about your experience! Here's hoping it keeps going!  :tup

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
That's a cool experience! And another Northern Nevada local?!?  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »

Yup. Reno. You??

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »

Yup. Reno. You??
Gardnerville. So not too far south of you.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »
Aww im in reno too. Off mayberry.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »
Aww im in reno too. Off mayberry.

Well, that's close. I am off Aveneda De Landa - above the temple

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »
That's super cool!  It's nice to share great music with someone who appreciates it instead of finding fault. Dream Theater music has a lot of depth and doesn't fly well for those with short attention spans. I've  managed to get a few people into DT over the years.
Just about a week or two ago,  I loaded up my truck for a dump run and drove twenty miles west to the transfer station. After I unloaded, one of the workers there recognized me but I didn't recognize him right away. He was wearing a mask, sunglasses, and hard hat. He told me his name and said he worked with me briefly on a commercial landscape job about fourteen years ago. He said I got him into DT and he's been hooked ever since. I vaguely  remember that but I'm glad that I rambled about DT when I worked with him.  :lol

Another time this young lady who was a friend of a friend came over to our house a few times and I played Octavarium when she was there and she loved it.  I ran into her three years later at the Systematic Chaos (Progressive Nation) tour in Seattle. She said I got her into DT,  so I bought her a shirt right then and there out of appreciation.   Always nice to have experiences like that.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP