Author Topic: Cool YouTube Videos  (Read 2018 times)

Offline pg1067

Cool YouTube Videos
« on: December 10, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »
Kinda surprised there isn't a thread for this (at least not that I could find).

This video popped up on the right side of the screen when I was watching something else:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPoymt3Jx4

In 1956, the last surviving witness to Abraham Lincoln's assassination appeared on a TV show called I've Got a Secret.  Celebrity panelists would ask questions to deduce the person's "secret."  In this clip, the first panelist, Bill Cullen, pretty much nailed it from the outset.

Anyway...kinda cool.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Cool YouTube Videos
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
Wintergartan Marble Machine

This guy's a madman. He crafted this thing by hand, and everything is triggered by falling marbles. His only musical involvement was pre-setting the pegs, controlling the speed, and fretting the bass as it plays (marbles hammer the strings). His current project is an upgraded version of it and he's switched from wood to metal. Seems he might be handy in a garage. The new one also has acoustic drums rather than samples.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »

This video popped up on the right side of the screen when I was watching something else:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPoymt3Jx4

In 1956, the last surviving witness to Abraham Lincoln's assassination appeared on a TV show called I've Got a Secret.  Celebrity panelists would ask questions to deduce the person's "secret."  In this clip, the first panelist, Bill Cullen, pretty much nailed it from the outset.

Anyway...kinda cool.

I've seen this video before, and it's so damn fascinating. A stark reminder that sometimes the past isn't as far back as it seems when reading about events out of a textbook.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:12:19 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:20:31 AM »
We do have a similar thread:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27010.msg1828742#msg1828742
I kind of intended that one for a different purpose. That was more for things that were amazingly filmed. This would be for things that are just particularly cool. Subtle difference, I suppose, but that was why I started the thread in GD.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
We do have a similar thread:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27010.msg1828742#msg1828742
I kind of intended that one for a different purpose. That was more for things that were amazingly filmed. This would be for things that are just particularly cool. Subtle difference, I suppose, but that was why I started the thread in GD.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »

This guy's a madman. He crafted this thing by hand, and everything is triggered by falling marbles. His only musical involvement was pre-setting the pegs, controlling the speed, and fretting the bass as it plays (marbles hammer the strings). His current project is an upgraded version of it and he's switched from wood to metal. Seems he might be handy in a garage. The new one also has acoustic drums rather than samples.

Holy crap, I can't even fathom the amount of planning and timing that goes into making something like that let alone compose music on it. That is just ridiculous.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »

That's freakin' insane (and a YT rabbit hole I really don't need to go down)!

Anyway...kinda cool.

I've seen this video before, and it's so damn fascinating. A stark reminder that sometimes the past isn't as far back as it seems when reading about events out of a textbook.

Exactly.  It's also the sort of thing that makes me regret never sitting down and talking with my mother about her early life.  She was born in 1923, got married to my father in 1944, right before he went into the Navy in WWII.  In 1945, his ship was hit by a kamikaze plane, and she traveled by train -- while pregnant with my brother -- to meet my father after in San Francisco.  Somewhere, there's a narrative of that journey that she wrote.  I need to find it because it's about all I have other than some photos of her as a child.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung