Author Topic: Employers(bosses) and pregnant women  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Employers(bosses) and pregnant women
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 08:06:39 AM »
Also so does what jobs pay as well. I see it in my company.  Same job pays more in the Northeast because is costs more to live there.

One of my good friend's salary changed by $35K simply because he moved. Nothing changed about his role or job with the company. He just moved.

What else changed?

Nothing at all. He works remote (has for the last 7 or 8 years) and moved from Marina Del Ray in LA to Queens. He still has more disposable income despite the lower salary. His job is 100% unchanged.

That's where I was going.   Are properties the same? Taxes (income and sales)?   Food?  Gasoline?  I know when I moved to North Carolina, it was like hitting the f------g lottery compared to Connecticut.  I'm here because of family, but it's a conscious commitment to additional expense.   

I'm with you on this. He wasn't pissed about the decrease in pay. He can do math. His rent alone was something like $1800 a month less, and while Queens isn't exactly cheap, it's no Marina Del Ray in terms of day-to-day expenses. I remember visiting out there when he first moved to LA, and his parking space two blocks away was $550 a month.

Online Skeever

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
The hard part in America now is that capitalism has forced most to be a working family with no one home to guide the children.

It's our own fault. We all wanted our own bedrooms with our own TV's ect...

Couldn't agree more. The thing is no matter how hard people try to defend the current way society is ordered, almost nobody is happy with where the automatic incentives of capitalism have taken society. This goes for hardcore christians just as much as it goes for "the left" even if they attribute it differently. Things like family and child-rearing increasingly are inconveniences in our driven capitalist society with our consumerist mindsets, to the point where it never "makes sense" for anyone to do it at all. So that's where we're at today, everyone knows this sucks and is fed up with it, but nobody knows what to do about it. Certainly we've seen how countries like South Korea have had to mandate "shorter" work weeks to try and get people interesting in dating and starting families again. Corporations as a mechanism exist to get the maximum amount from resources as efficiently as possible so that said value can be transfered to the fewest amount of hands. You cannot believe in anything else if you believe so wholeheartedly in capitalism because there is simply no room for the artificial limits that would be placed by other values on the mechanism.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
The hard part in America now is that capitalism has forced most to be a working family with no one home to guide the children.

It's our own fault. We all wanted our own bedrooms with our own TV's ect...

Couldn't agree more. The thing is no matter how hard people try to defend the current way society is ordered, almost nobody is happy with where the automatic incentives of capitalism have taken society. This goes for hardcore christians just as much as it goes for "the left" even if they attribute it differently. Things like family and child-rearing increasingly are inconveniences in our driven capitalist society with our consumerist mindsets, to the point where it never "makes sense" for anyone to do it at all. So that's where we're at today, everyone knows this sucks and is fed up with it, but nobody knows what to do about it. Certainly we've seen how countries like South Korea have had to mandate "shorter" work weeks to try and get people interesting in dating and starting families again. Corporations as a mechanism exist to get the maximum amount from resources as efficiently as possible so that said value can be transfered to the fewest amount of hands. You cannot believe in anything else if you believe so wholeheartedly in capitalism because there is simply no room for the artificial limits that would be placed by other values on the mechanism.

Oh there's a way. The leaders of the world just don't want to implement it, nor listen to it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
Maybe one of the reasons why some women don't want to have children is because they are afraid of getting fired from the job by their bosses (pricks). During the job interviews some employers ask the women a very personal and unfair question: "Do they plan to have children?"
What are your thoughts about this issue? Is this a common thing to your knowledge? And why is this happening?

Any employer in the United States asking a question like that in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty probably ain't going to be an "employer" for very long.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2020, 10:04:40 PM »
Things like family and child-rearing increasingly are inconveniences in our driven capitalist society with our consumerist mindsets, to the point where it never "makes sense" for anyone to do it at all.

There are many things about being parenting and family that inconvenience me. But I would never consider being a father or a husband an inconvenience. Nor would I say it "never makes sense" for people to do it. For me and Mrs. Cool, it made all the sense in the world, and I would bet a large percentage of parents would feel the same.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 04:31:48 AM »
Things like family and child-rearing increasingly are inconveniences in our driven capitalist society with our consumerist mindsets, to the point where it never "makes sense" for anyone to do it at all.

There are many things about being parenting and family that inconvenience me. But I would never consider being a father or a husband an inconvenience. Nor would I say it "never makes sense" for people to do it. For me and Mrs. Cool, it made all the sense in the world, and I would bet a large percentage of parents would feel the same.
Absolutely. I you're going into parenthood with the mindset of having to be completely ready (career, financially, emotionally, relationally, etc) you would never be fully ready. There's always a logical reason why you should wait a few more months or years until X situation is resolved. But for many people, this is balanced by an intense desire to be a parent.

Online Skeever

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2020, 06:28:46 AM »

I agree with you, and feel the same. But think of a 22 year old today. Our society increasingly stigmatizes anything but putting the most of one's self into one's career. The same goes for women as for men. Fewer and fewer people grow up thinking that starting their own family should be a priority in their life, because there is nothing socially driving that message any longer. In fact you often hear the opposite, people being judgmental towards those who have children too soon at the expense of their careers or when they're not perceived as being well-off enough. People constantly say that "life is over" when you have kids, and they are talking about your ability to focus on your career, hang out in bars and clubs, spend lavishly on yourself,  etc., very rarely do you hear someone saying that life begins when you have kids, which is more or less the way I felt about it once it happened for me, at least in terms of how it's changed my life and perspectives.

My point with regards to the OP was to say that if we, as a society, value the continuation of our species while also simultaneously being totally unwilling to let go of this driven, capitalist-consumerist way in which society is ordered, there have to be some support measures so that people can do both. We've seen what's happened in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, among many other places, when those support measures do not exist. Employers not discriminating against those who have or would like families is one possibility that I'm sure has kept a lot of us employed when we wouldn't be otherwise under some more cynical system that does not value at all the continuation of life, and there are many more support measures worthy of consideration.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2020, 07:33:25 AM »

Absolutely. I you're going into parenthood with the mindset of having to be completely ready (career, financially, emotionally, relationally, etc) you would never be fully ready. There's always a logical reason why you should wait a few more months or years until X situation is resolved. But for many people, this is balanced by an intense desire to be a parent.

Really, at the end of the day, it's like anything else though: the more honest - I mean really honest - with yourself you are, the better you will be.   I know for me, I wasn't "100%  there" when I had my daughter, but it was a process, and I'm 100% convinced I'm a better man - man, father, husband, friend - for having her in my life.   I'm good not great with money, but now when thinking "hmm, let me stop and get a 12-pack of Guinness to have on hand", maybe I won't do that.   "Hey, f--- it, I don't want to cook; Big Mac's here I come!", maybe I don't do that.   I'm not saying have a kid for your sobriety/cholesterol, but your dynamic changes in ways that I know I couldn't forecast or foresee.