Author Topic: Anniversary Editions? Remixes and Remasters?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anniversary Editions? Remixes and Remasters?
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
I might consider it I guess. But I would buy it on the album alone, I doubt any special features like demos or live performances would sway my opinion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
I bought A Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves, and I've commented more than once about my annoyance that the super deluxe versions with all the swag requires the purchase of pointless vinyl.

Brother, I am with you on that.   I wanted the 30 Years Of The Blizzard DVD (from Ozzy) but the only way to get it is with the package that has the vinyl, and the vinyl seems - in my limited experience - to drive up the price (which is, I guess, why they do it).   But I don't "have" to get a cassette or CD when I by the vinyl, so why the opposite??

It always baffles me when folks mention this.  Why would any band want to re-record a 30-year old album?  For starters, why would the 60% of the band who weren't on that album want to do it?  And can you really see JM and JP having any interest in doing this?  The only person who ever might have had interest in this would've been MP, but I'm pretty sure he said at some point that even he would have no interest (maybe it was in the commentary track for WDADRu?).  And what would be the point?  They would never spend the resources to put a full modern production on it.  They could conceivably say, "eh...why not?" and knock it out "live" in the studio in a day or two, but that wouldn't be much different than WDADRu.  I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it or that it wouldn't be kinda cool, but it really puzzles me that anyone would think this is or ever was a realistic possibility.

I'm with you EXCEPT for the ownership point; I kind of thought it would be in MP's wheel-house to outsmart the old label by devaluing the original tapes by putting out superior, newer versions.  Def Leppard and Kiss both did this (I'm sure others have too).

Disagree about the devaluation. The original music was made in a moment in time so by recording something that far out of context  don't necessarily make it superior in my view. Might be nice to have another version out there, but the artist ultimately has to decide if it's worth the effort. Can't see a forward looking band like Dream Theater doing this especially if John likes to follow the Rush model.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2020, 03:55:01 AM »
I'd be happy for them to do a deluxe version of the older albums very much like the Marillion ones - they look great on the shelf. I wouldn't need them, but they'd be nice. Re-mixes by Stephen Wilson? He seems to have a good ear.

Would they be essential? No, but it'd be nice to have.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2020, 11:45:40 AM »
A Score blu-ray would be much desired by myself.  That's an awesome concert but the video quality can seriously be improved with a blu-ray.  That concert needed the blu-ray moreso than LAB IMO.
True, but I believe the subject has been brought up and Portnoy argued that despite the interest they couldn't do it because they didn't have the show in a higher definition than the DVD release (contrary to Live At Budokan where the cameras captured the show in a higher quality than the original DVD release).
I believe you're getting the video releases mixed up. The MP quote you're thinking of is likely regarding 5YiaL, or perhaps CiM. I know for a fact that Score was all shot in HD, and if I'm not mistaken, when BobS (a forumer here) worked on all the post-production, it was all done in HD. So it would be very easy for Score to be reissued on Blu-ray. Why it has not remains a mystery, but not for the reason you're suggesting.

Having BluRays of this would be worth it for if they included "full" unedited shows (mostly just for the cover show and the acoustic show, and perhaps as a bonus, as to not interfere with the original "classic" feel).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
Having BluRays of this would be worth it for if they included "full" unedited shows (mostly just for the cover show and the acoustic show, and perhaps as a bonus, as to not interfere with the original "classic" feel).
Reissues would be nice for full unedited shows anyway. The question is, are the shows recorded on film or video tape. I'm pretty sure for the LiT show, it was film, so it would make sense to do a Blu-ray/HD reissue. But I'm pretty sure that at least some of the source material for 5YiaL and CiM were shot using standard definition video tape. So in those cases, it wouldn't make sense to reissue them - whether segmented as on the original release or as full, standalone shows on Blu-ray/HD since there won't be any benefit.

For the 1998 shows in Rotterdam and Paris, I believe they were shot on film, and if so, it would make sense to reissue them on Blu-ray/HD. But in both cases, I know there were some botched performances that couldn't be salvaged by minor post-production in the studio, and knowing what a stickler JP is for perfect performances, I can't imagine he'd ever sign off on either of those shows being released in their entirety.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
I'd be happy for them to do a deluxe version of the older albums very much like the Marillion ones - they look great on the shelf. I wouldn't need them, but they'd be nice. Re-mixes by Stephen Wilson? He seems to have a good ear.

Would they be essential? No, but it'd be nice to have.

Would SW agree to remix DT records?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
One advantage of doing a re-record of WDaDU:  It could finally be on Spotify.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
Reissues would be nice for full unedited shows anyway. The question is, are the shows recorded on film or video tape. I'm pretty sure for the LiT show, it was film, so it would make sense to do a Blu-ray/HD reissue. But I'm pretty sure that at least some of the source material for 5YiaL and CiM were shot using standard definition video tape. So in those cases, it wouldn't make sense to reissue them - whether segmented as on the original release or as full, standalone shows on Blu-ray/HD since there won't be any benefit.

For the 1998 shows in Rotterdam and Paris, I believe they were shot on film, and if so, it would make sense to reissue them on Blu-ray/HD. But in both cases, I know there were some botched performances that couldn't be salvaged by minor post-production in the studio, and knowing what a stickler JP is for perfect performances, I can't imagine he'd ever sign off on either of those shows being released in their entirety.

I was thinking it would need to be BluRay just to fit all that video on there, regardless of definition. But I do agree, otherwise.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
I'd probably buy a re-recorded version of When Dream And Day Unite.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!