News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Anniversary Editions? Remixes and Remasters?

Started by Skeever, October 28, 2020, 10:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeever

Given that some of DT's most famous albums are over two decades old, do we think we'll ever see them giving any of the treatment that other bands have done, such as remixes/remasters and new prints with bonus tracks/discs? I think several of the albums would be interesting to hear fresh mixes of, and there's so much bonus content from the early days that has yet to see official release (though some has always been floating around out there on official bootlegs, fanclub CDs, etc). Just thinking about a re-issue of Images and Words with a refreshed mix and bonus tracks from that era...

Blu-Ray re-releases and expansions of Live in Tokyo/5 Years in a Livetime, Live Scenes, Budokan, and Score would also be nice. Would love if the band one day decided to do a re-release of Budokan or Score with some new special features and commentary, for instance.

Setlist Scotty

Would love to see this happen, but honestly I don't expect it will even for their biggest albums (IaW and SFaM) let alone all the other albums. MP was the one that was more into that sort of thing than any of the other guys. And of course, he has the vast archive from which material could be pulled and yet will not since he split from the band. On top of that, a lot of the stuff that could be included in such releases has already been released, especially via the official bootlegs.

I think just the fact that, aside from the 2013 Xmas/Fan Club release, the band has done *nothing* with regards to official bootlegs, fan club releases or anything else outside studio albums and live releases. So I doubt any of them would care to invest the time or effort into reworking old releases for anniversary editions. Nevermind the debate on how successful such releases would be - would they sell enough copies and make enough profit for them to do all that work. DT does have a worldwide following, but I don't know if there's enough of a fanbase for something like that.

In 2006, I proposed doing a Dream Theater-ized version of Monopoly, and while MP liked the idea and put me in contact with Frank Solomon (the band's manager), ultimately I would have had to take on the full project by myself - Frank didn't see it as being a viable product worth pursuing that would turn a profit - so it never happened. Admittedly, things are definitely different now than 14 years ago. Now the band does produce box sets for each studio album when they first are released, and now one of the key ways to get fans to make physical purchases is to include a bunch of tangible things that can't be streamed via Spotify. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank said it wasn't worth the effort to do these re-releases. After all, IaW is now 28 years old, and if it (or any other album) was to be reissued, I would have expected it to already have happened as we have seen with countless other bands.

I'd love to be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

devieira73

I'm rooting for a ten year anniversary edition of aDToE next year, remixed and with re-recorded drums. Is it too much to ask for? :coolio

Skeever

Interesting thoughts, Setlist Scotty.

While the Official Bootlegs are nice, they hardly feel "official" anymore in the year 2020. Even in 2002 or whenever it was launched, I think most of us fans were used to buying the band's material online anyway, but these days it feels a bit archaic to have to go to MP's website and then wait generally quite awhile for a physical order to be filled. I also always found the quality a bit suspect - not a knock on MP or anything, and I've got all the files on a hard-drive somewhere, but I wonder how the CDs were pressed and if they'll even be readable when I dig them out of storage some day.  Even a ytsejam bandcamp page where you could at least download the digital files while you wait for the physical stuff to arrive would be an improvement.

Anyway, I'm thinking of something like this - Images and Words 30th Anniversary

Disc One - Original Album, remastered
Disc Two - "B Sides", remixes, live recordings
Disc Three - Images and Words "Official Bootleg" Re-release
Expanded Linear Notes and Artwork/Tour/Studio Photos

I have rarely bought a CD in the last 5 years, but I would buy that!

Cool Chris

I get why these are popular with fans, but I have never bought the same album twice just to have the remastered/remixed album. Using the aforementioned example, I've owned the same Images and Words CD since 1992/3, it has been one of my favorite albums ever since, and one that helped shape my musical development. And I cannot imagine buying a remastered/remixed version. I would think listening to a new version would sound strange after all these years.

TAC

I would never buy an anniversary or remastered edition. I mean, I have the original album. I would only make an execption if the band included a full concert from that time period.
I did buy the Pyromania on with the LA show.

It just seems the way old bands can make a sale.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

HOF

I think if DT could do what Marillion has done with their re-mix/re-issues it would add significant value for fans. I don't care about 5.1, but even the remixes themselves of those albums generally sound great (Brave didn't do much for me oddly enough). A good mixer could probably do wonders for WDADU and I&W at least. Not sure the others would benefit too much (I wouldn't touch Awake, but maybe the newer albums would benefit I guess).

I also imagine there are a good number of fans who don't have all the Ytsejam stuff or things like Cleaning Out The Closet. There is probably a market for re-issues with extra tracks I would imagine.

gzarruk

Quote from: HOF on October 28, 2020, 09:28:06 PM
I think if DT could do what Marillion has done with their re-mix/re-issues it would add significant value for fans. I don't care about 5.1, but even the remixes themselves of those albums generally sound great (Brave didn't do much for me oddly enough). A good mixer could probably do wonders for WDADU and I&W at least. Not sure the others would benefit too much (I wouldn't touch Awake, but maybe the newer albums would benefit I guess).

I also imagine there are a good number of fans who don't have all the Ytsejam stuff or things like Cleaning Out The Closet. There is probably a market for re-issues with extra tracks I would imagine.

The thing with WDADU is that they don't own the rights to the original recordings (don't know who owns them, but that limited edition remaster that was released a while ago had no band involvement at all) so if they ever want to do anything with it they'd have to buy them back (I think this wouldn't be too easy) or just te re record everything. I'd buy the re recorded version and would love to see them do this with the Majesty demos as well, but I don't think they have any interest in doing so.

As for IAW, there's actually 3 remixes tracks that appeared on their compilation album in 2007, they were remixed by Kevin Shirley and sound really good, but I just can't listen to these songs sounding like that, it feels weird.
I imagine that the bonus tracks that could be included in an extended version of IAW would be. DLPM, TLF and Eve maybe.

HOF

Quote from: gzarruk on October 28, 2020, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: HOF on October 28, 2020, 09:28:06 PM

The thing with WDADU is that they don't own the rights to the original recordings (don't know who owns them, but that limited edition remaster that was released a while ago had no band involvement at all) so if they ever want to do anything with it they'd have to buy them back (I think this wouldn't be too easy) or just te re record everything. I'd buy the re recorded version and would love to see them do this with the Majesty demos as well, but I don't think they have any interest in doing so.

As for IAW, there's actually 3 remixes tracks that appeared on their compilation album in 2007, they were remixed by Kevin Shirley and sound really good, but I just can't listen to these songs sounding like that, it feels weird.
I imagine that the bonus tracks that could be included in an extended version of IAW would be. DLPM, TLF and Eve maybe.

I had forgotten about WDADU being owned by some random label. I remember way back when that remaster came out the band talking about how they didn't have anything to do with it now. I guess it's possible the original tapes are gone at this point.

I was listening to the Greatest Hit tracks earlier actually (inspired by this thread). The I&W tracks do sound interesting if not exactly better. I actually think a remix could improve the original, but it feels a bit like Shirley mailed those ones in. I also don't think I'd want them to go all the way with replacing the original drum sounds. At least I think you have to fit the drum sound into the rest of the recording a little better than what they did for that Greatest Hit release.

Stadler

I dunno; I've got to believe that every has - or can have - official versions of any of the b-sides or known unreleased tracks.   I would go for a live show from the era (that we haven't heard officially before), but I'm not going to buy a repackaged version of what I already have.  A remix wouldn't be enough for me (I'm not as hard-over on the mix as some people are).   I think the only thing that's really a "holy grail" for me at this point would be the full show of the Ronnie Scott's show, as well as the two shows that make up Once In A Livetime/Five Years In A Livetime sets (Paris and Rotterdam). 

gzarruk

Quote from: devieira73 on October 28, 2020, 01:03:41 PM
I'm rooting for a ten year anniversary edition of aDToE next year, remixed and with re-recorded drums. Is it too much to ask for? :coolio

Why would they need to re-record drums for ADTOE? You just have to make them a bit louder in the mix.

Quote from: HOF on October 28, 2020, 10:54:23 PM
I had forgotten about WDADU being owned by some random label. I remember way back when that remaster came out the band talking about how they didn't have anything to do with it now. I guess it's possible the original tapes are gone at this point.

I was listening to the Greatest Hit tracks earlier actually (inspired by this thread). The I&W tracks do sound interesting if not exactly better. I actually think a remix could improve the original, but it feels a bit like Shirley mailed those ones in. I also don't think I'd want them to go all the way with replacing the original drum sounds. At least I think you have to fit the drum sound into the rest of the recording a little better than what they did for that Greatest Hit release.

I really wanted them to release a re-recorded version of WDADU with the current lineup for its 30th anniversary last year, but that obviously didn't happen. I think we shouldn't expect anything new for that album anytime soon.

As for the 2007 IAW remixes, I think the problem was that they tried to make them sound like current/modern DT (for 2007)  instead of making a better sounding IAW.

cramx3

I have no interest in remixes or remasters.  And I feel like all the bonus type stuff has already been released.  Also, I wonder if re-releasing older stuff would need to have MP onboard in some capacity.

gzarruk

Quote from: cramx3 on October 29, 2020, 09:16:18 AM
I have no interest in remixes or remasters.  And I feel like all the bonus type stuff has already been released.  Also, I wonder if re-releasing older stuff would need to have MP onboard in some capacity.

I don't think so, they re-released LAB in blu-ray without his involvement at all.

WilliamMunny

As a rule, I tend to avoid 'remasters' as I typically find them to be inferior.

The issue, of course, becomes complicated by extra material.

Case in point: Soundgarden's Superunknown.

The original release, in my opinion, is perfect, and the remaster is unfortunately a brick-walled, muddy mess. BUT, there's unreleased material included, so in that case, I found myself purchasing a record for the extras.

With DT, there's less in the way of b-sides and such, so I have no plans on re-purchasing any of their albums. Awake, for instance, is perfect in my book. Hard to imagine how any remaster could improve upon that album, and I have no interest in hearing a brick walled, dynamic-less "Voices."

cramx3

Quote from: gzarruk on October 29, 2020, 09:17:59 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on October 29, 2020, 09:16:18 AM

I don't think so, they re-released LAB in blu-ray without his involvement at all.

I dont even think the band was involved in that  :lol But yea, I dont know who owns the rights and has control.  Its very possible MP won't be involved at all, I just don't know if that adds an extra layer or complications or not.

Dublagent66

With their touring schedule on hold/significantly reduced, I would think this is as good a time as any to occupy their time.  I would love to have remastered Blu-Ray versions of all their previously released live catalog.

cramx3

Quote from: Dublagent66 on October 29, 2020, 09:22:50 AM
With their touring schedule on hold/significantly reduced, I would think this is as good a time as any to occupy their time.  I would love to have remastered Blu-Ray versions of all their previously released live catalog.

A Score blu-ray would be much desired by myself.  That's an awesome concert but the video quality can seriously be improved with a blu-ray.  That concert needed the blu-ray moreso than LAB IMO.

pg1067

Quote from: Cool Chris on October 28, 2020, 06:23:55 PM
I get why these are popular with fans, but I have never bought the same album twice just to have the remastered/remixed album. Using the aforementioned example, I've owned the same Images and Words CD since 1992/3, it has been one of my favorite albums ever since, and one that helped shape my musical development. And I cannot imagine buying a remastered/remixed version. I would think listening to a new version would sound strange after all these years.

About the only album I'd consider buying a remastered version would be Vapor Trails by Rush.  However, I've never felt motivated to do that, although I did buy the remastered Earthshine on iTunes.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single album that I'd want remixed (although I can't say I wouldn't be interested in DT stuff with more prominent bass).  I, however, did buy the remixed PMU from the Greatest Hit album via iTunes (almost no noticeable difference other than the bass in the intro section).

Anniversary editions?  I bought A Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves, and I've commented more than once about my annoyance that the super deluxe versions with all the swag requires the purchase of pointless vinyl.  I also bought a couple of the Yes albums that have bonus tracks, although they were kind of duds because the studio run-throughs were little different than the original released versions, and some of the "extras" I already had from the Yesyears box set.

Quote from: gzarruk on October 29, 2020, 08:53:57 AM
I really wanted them to release a re-recorded version of WDADU with the current lineup for its 30th anniversary last year, but that obviously didn't happen. I think we shouldn't expect anything new for that album anytime soon.

It always baffles me when folks mention this.  Why would any band want to re-record a 30-year old album?  For starters, why would the 60% of the band who weren't on that album want to do it?  And can you really see JM and JP having any interest in doing this?  The only person who ever might have had interest in this would've been MP, but I'm pretty sure he said at some point that even he would have no interest (maybe it was in the commentary track for WDADRu?).  And what would be the point?  They would never spend the resources to put a full modern production on it.  They could conceivably say, "eh...why not?" and knock it out "live" in the studio in a day or two, but that wouldn't be much different than WDADRu.  I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it or that it wouldn't be kinda cool, but it really puzzles me that anyone would think this is or ever was a realistic possibility.

gzarruk

Quote from: pg1067 on October 29, 2020, 09:51:12 AM
Quote from: gzarruk on October 29, 2020, 08:53:57 AM

It always baffles me when folks mention this.  Why would any band want to re-record a 30-year old album?  For starters, why would the 60% of the band who weren't on that album want to do it?  And can you really see JM and JP having any interest in doing this?  The only person who ever might have had interest in this would've been MP, but I'm pretty sure he said at some point that even he would have no interest (maybe it was in the commentary track for WDADRu?).  And what would be the point?  They would never spend the resources to put a full modern production on it.  They could conceivably say, "eh...why not?" and knock it out "live" in the studio in a day or two, but that wouldn't be much different than WDADRu.  I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it or that it wouldn't be kinda cool, but it really puzzles me that anyone would think this is or ever was a realistic possibility.

It was their debut album, an album that has been mostly ignored by a great portion of the fanbase because it has a different singer and the sound isn't too good anyway. They can't use the original recordings for anything, so why not offer a more modern twist on the album for that milestone anniversary? They had already built their own studio and just needed to tackle those songs, just for fun. Like you said, it could've even been a live in the studio thing and it would've worked well. Most importantly, I think it could've been an interesting opportinity to get some *extra money from it.

WDADR was kinda cool, but not really a proper re-recording of the album, and I don't like what they did with TKH.

Anyway, it's not happening :lol

Setlist Scotty

I could envision them doing a re-recording of WDaDU and/or the Majesty demos for a big box set compilation of their entire history, just to give the fan base added reason to pick it up, but I could never see them being put out as a stand alone release.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on October 29, 2020, 09:51:12 AM
I bought A Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves, and I've commented more than once about my annoyance that the super deluxe versions with all the swag requires the purchase of pointless vinyl.

Brother, I am with you on that.   I wanted the 30 Years Of The Blizzard DVD (from Ozzy) but the only way to get it is with the package that has the vinyl, and the vinyl seems - in my limited experience - to drive up the price (which is, I guess, why they do it).   But I don't "have" to get a cassette or CD when I by the vinyl, so why the opposite??

I'm with you EXCEPT for the ownership point; I kind of thought it would be in MP's wheel-house to outsmart the old label by devaluing the original tapes by putting out superior, newer versions.  Def Leppard and Kiss both did this (I'm sure others have too).   

HOF

Quote from: Stadler on October 29, 2020, 08:05:27 AM
I dunno; I've got to believe that every has - or can have - official versions of any of the b-sides or known unreleased tracks.   I would go for a live show from the era (that we haven't heard officially before), but I'm not going to buy a repackaged version of what I already have.  A remix wouldn't be enough for me (I'm not as hard-over on the mix as some people are).   I think the only thing that's really a "holy grail" for me at this point would be the full show of the Ronnie Scott's show, as well as the two shows that make up Once In A Livetime/Five Years In A Livetime sets (Paris and Rotterdam).

Well, I actually don't have most of that stuff, because well, it's not available anywhere. Surely there are new fans of the band who weren't around back when Ytsejam was still a thing, or who weren't fan club members way back in the day.

I would love for them to release the whole Ronnie Scott's gig. Also the Rotterdam show would be great to have on CD.

Dublagent66

Quote from: cramx3 on October 29, 2020, 09:24:12 AM
Quote from: Dublagent66 on October 29, 2020, 09:22:50 AM

A Score blu-ray would be much desired by myself.  That's an awesome concert but the video quality can seriously be improved with a blu-ray.  That concert needed the blu-ray moreso than LAB IMO.

Totally agree.  That show is probably still my favorite and L@B isn't too far behind.  :hefdaddy :2metal:

fischermasamune

True, but I believe the subject has been brought up and Portnoy argued that despite the interest they couldn't do it because they didn't have the show in a higher definition than the DVD release (contrary to Live At Budokan where the cameras captured the show in a higher quality than the original DVD release).

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: fischermasamune on October 29, 2020, 10:22:19 PM
True, but I believe the subject has been brought up and Portnoy argued that despite the interest they couldn't do it because they didn't have the show in a higher definition than the DVD release (contrary to Live At Budokan where the cameras captured the show in a higher quality than the original DVD release).
I believe you're getting the video releases mixed up. The MP quote you're thinking of is likely regarding 5YiaL, or perhaps CiM. I know for a fact that Score was all shot in HD, and if I'm not mistaken, when BobS (a forumer here) worked on all the post-production, it was all done in HD. So it would be very easy for Score to be reissued on Blu-ray. Why it has not remains a mystery, but not for the reason you're suggesting.

Cool Chris

I am torn on the WDaDU re-recording. As a rule I generally like to think of works of art as static products of their time. Yeah, you had a singer not suited to your material, you had limited time in the studio and for the mix, but that's the product you released at the time, and that is how it should stand. You don't get to add elements to the Mos Eisley scene and re-release your product because CGI technology wasn't available at the time. Ok, so you called it the "Special Edition" do at least you acknowledged it wasn't the original product. But then you tried to bury the original product at say this was the "official" version. Nope. So maybe if DT released WDaDU "Special Edition" recognizing that's what it was, and the original album was still out acknowledged, I could maybe live with that. I might even buy it.

darkshade

Quote from: Cool Chris on October 30, 2020, 08:37:01 PM
I am torn on the WDaDU re-recording. As a rule I generally like to think of works of art as static products of their time. Yeah, you had a singer not suited to your material, you had limited time in the studio and for the mix, but that's the product you released at the time, and that is how it should stand. You don't get to add elements to the Mos Eisley scene and re-release your product because CGI technology wasn't available at the time. Ok, so you called it the "Special Edition" do at least you acknowledged it wasn't the original product. But then you tried to bury the original product at say this was the "official" version. Nope. So maybe if DT released WDaDU "Special Edition" recognizing that's what it was, and the original album was still out acknowledged, I could maybe live with that. I might even buy it.

Sounds like you're describing the first Star Wars movie.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: darkshade on October 31, 2020, 03:59:31 AM
Wasn't that obvious given that he mentioned the Pos Eisley scene?

Cool Chris

I wasn't trying to be subtle.  :police: I know it is the most egregious example, but I didn't know how else to make my point. 

HOF

I wouldn't have any problem with a re-recorded WDADU. There's no rules saying an artist can't redo a work if they want. And they often do redo things (how many bands have done re-recordings, various versions of songs/albums, etc.). It's also not as if they would be redoing some beloved, landmark album. We're not talking about re-recording Dark Side of the Moon (which would be more analogous to changing Star Wars).

darkshade

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on October 31, 2020, 10:16:15 AM
Quote from: darkshade on October 31, 2020, 03:59:31 AM
Wasn't that obvious given that he mentioned the Pos Eisley scene?

No. I'm not super knowledgeable about Star Wars or anything, I didn't remember that Mos Eisley is the name of the spaceport in episode 4. Had to search engine it. But I did remember that the original Star Wars movie hasn't been technically released on a mainstream medium and everything anyone has is a George Lucas re-imagining.

OT: I wouldn't have minded a WDaDU re-recording, but I would have wanted it when MP and KM were in the band, more importantly, with I&W or Awake era JLB vocals. I wouldn't mind a 21st Century remix of the original album, like they did with those Greatest Hit remixes of the 90s album tracks, beef up the sound as best as possible. But they would need the rights to the music.

pg1067

I am torn on the WDaDU re-recording.

I'm not 'cause it just plain ain't happening.

Quote from: darkshade on October 31, 2020, 11:47:39 AM
I wouldn't have minded a WDaDU re-recording, but I would have wanted it when MP and KM were in the band, more importantly, with I&W or Awake era JLB vocals.

I agree with this, but that never could have happened because of circumstances and, when it didn't happen (and also didn't happen with DS, which would've been ok), any realistic chance of it happening disappeared.

Quote from: darkshade on October 31, 2020, 11:47:39 AM
I wouldn't mind a 21st Century remix of the original album, like they did with those Greatest Hit remixes of the 90s album tracks, beef up the sound as best as possible. But they would need the rights to the music.

They have the rights to the music.  What they don't have are the 2" 24-track tapes on which the album was recorded (who knows if they even still exist?), and those are obviously needed for a re-mix (even if they had the master tapes, they wouldn't be able to do a re-mix).  Also, IMO, the only thing that a "modern" re-mix would likely accomplish would be burying the bass, which would ruin one of the best things about WDADU.

darkshade

It's cool either way. I'm of the belief that albums should be left alone as they were recorded. You can "update" them all you want, give them a special release away from the original, just don't replace the originals as they were.

Cool Chris

Quote from: pg1067 on October 31, 2020, 03:03:25 PM

:) It's not like I am losing any sleep over it. I can't say the thought ever occurred to me. But since it was brought up, and I was considering it for the first time, I realized I didn't know how I felt about it. In the end, I wouldn't buy it, regardless, so it is more a philosophical issue for me I guess.

pg1067

Quote from: Cool Chris on November 01, 2020, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on October 31, 2020, 03:03:25 PM

:) It's not like I am losing any sleep over it. I can't say the thought ever occurred to me. But since it was brought up, and I was considering it for the first time, I realized I didn't know how I felt about it. In the end, I wouldn't buy it, regardless, so it is more a philosophical issue for me I guess.

Interesting.  Despite what I've written here, I absolutely would buy it.