Poll

Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?

Yes
60 (95.2%)
No
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?  (Read 11021 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
If Family A had a net income of $100k with a working spouse and a SAH spouse, and Family B had a net income of $100k with both spouses working and balancing homemaking/caretaking duties, I would think generally speaking Family B would be a lot more stressed out.

Not so sure about this - it assumes that full-time childcare is more stressful than a full-time corporate job. I would say that having to watch over even one child full-time all day is arguably more stressful than the average corporate job.

I'm not a parent so I really have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'd trade my job for any of your children  :lol

More fun and fulfilling =/= less exhausting and stressful

Exhausting and stressful isn't what bothers me. It's my line of work (boring is an understatement) and the overall corporate structure that I find miserable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2020, 11:41:25 AM »
I have 3 nephews. 5 nieces. 2 foster brothers and a half-brother.

Their ages range from one year old all the way up to 17 years old.

I've got enough kids around me. I don't need any of my own thanks.

I'm going to get fly-swatted on this, for sure, but IN MY EXPERIENCE, there is certain truth in the notion that "your kid" is not the same as "others' kids".    It's a running joke in my house that "I hate kids".   And I do, when they're those little wise-cracking, singing, dancing kids on TV.  Or they are the brats running around Wal-Mart wiping boogers on everything.  I can't name one time that I hated or regretted being a dad.  Frustrated, tired, scared, yes, but regretful?  Nope.

Well, on the other hand, I love the kids. And one of the things I love about them is that they aren't mine  :lol I can enjoy their company, their absolute adorable cuteness when they're small and interacting with them when they're starting to grow up, but when they're moody or they don't want to sleep at night or they shit their pants, well, not my problem  :lol

Depends also on the kid, at least once per year with the family we visit my father's sister who is by now grandma to two siblings, a girl born in 2012 and a boy born in.... 2014 I guess? well, each time I visit, I'd gladly take the girl back home with me, 'cause she's adorable, and at the same time I can't wait to get rid of that annoying brat of his little brother  :biggrin: but they told me he grew up this year and now he's nicer, I hope I get a chance to actually visit them given the situation.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
Kids and dogs both present the same problems. They're loud, they make messes, they drool, are constantly putting things in their mouths they should not be putting in their mouths. The only thing in the baby's favor is that they don't eat their own crap. Unless there's a Florida Man story I'm missing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »
We're at TWO no's!   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
Kids and dogs both present the same problems. They're loud, they make messes, they drool, are constantly putting things in their mouths they should not be putting in their mouths. The only thing in the baby's favor is that they don't eat their own crap. Unless there's a Florida Man story I'm missing.

Eh, close enough.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/14/florida-man-accused-of-forcing-toddler-to-eat-feces/21713941/

https://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2007/nov/05/drug_scare_kids_florida_are_gett
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
I agree with the bulk of comments here and I voted yes it's OK.

But I would like for people who voted no to chime in. I'm curious as to why but my guess is that it's religion related.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2020, 12:06:08 PM »

Eh, close enough.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/14/florida-man-accused-of-forcing-toddler-to-eat-feces/21713941/

https://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2007/nov/05/drug_scare_kids_florida_are_gett

Nooooooo  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2020, 02:11:35 PM »
I've got it in my head recently that I want a big family, like 7 kids. Anyone from that situation and know how to make it work?

I know a few large families like that in our extended homeschool network.  In all of them, one parent (usually, mom) stays home.  A common theme I have seen is a change in perspective that the life focus is on raising the family.  I don't think the income is all that high in any of those families, but they are just committed to making it work, which often means doing without some things and keeping on a strict budget.

As far as the Catholicism thing, as someone who grew up Catholic myself, I'll just say:  If you are into it because of the culture and all, or you take comfort in the ritualistic aspects of it, I get that.  But if the goal is to be part of a "form of Christianity," Catholicism is directly incompatible with what it means to be a Christian, so I don't get that.  But I'll just leave it at that for purposes of this thread.  If you want to further discuss, we can do that by PM or take it to P/R.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
To the original question.....of course it's OK if some people don't want kids. In fact, I like that less people aren't having kids just to have them because they think that's what they're 'supposed' to do.

Wouldn't this come down to basic understanding of Responsibility? If you know you can't be responsible for the child, why not abstain, from the act of Reproduction? (I could say it in dirtier terms, but I don't want to Frighten the children... :biggrin: )

I believe, there are no such things as accidents. We all know how Reproduction works, right. It's also why I consider, Males whom Rape Females, as evil and sinister. That's the dark side of Nature.

I want to say, I have no problem, nor do I don't care at all, whether someone decides to have a child or not. I'd be infringing on your Natural Human Rights, if I were to give a shit, but that's how I feel.

I am just presenting reasons, from what I have been reading and understand, for why people are deciding not to have kids. And one area I would suggest to look into is when the concept of using Gold, as the payout for services, started. When the concept of paying for services and goods, shifted from paying with Services and goods, Bartering, (I'll give you 5 Pumpkins, for that Buffalo Fur). I mention this because, It seems all this discussion and the reasons why people don't want kids, is they can't afford the responsibility. Why is it, in todays society, we can't afford the responsibility it takes to provide basic necessities for a child?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
I've seen some fucked up parenting in the store throughout the years.

I'd rather drop these kids in Kade's or Michael's laps because I know they'd do a better job. They're good people.

Having kids or not having kids, well its just a different thing. I know I could've gone without them. Now I couldn't.

I'll tell you, if I knew how much I was going to worry, I might've taken a pass.

Thanks mate.  I have no doubt I'd be a great father, I just have no desire too.

I've seen some sights coming through my joints too with parenting.  Parents don't even watch their kids around water, it's diabolical.  I see so many people daily that shouldn't have had children.  My profession the last 15 years has kind of cermented my viewpoint in all honesty.
Sorry I just got reminded of John Wayne teaching a kid how to swim.  :lol It dosen't resonate that well in todays society. I'm not a parent but I imagine the John Wayne way is a pretty efficient and easy way though.  :rollin

No, parents still use this technique today, trust me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »
I've got it in my head recently that I want a big family, like 7 kids. Anyone from that situation and know how to make it work?

I know a few large families like that in our extended homeschool network.  In all of them, one parent (usually, mom) stays home.  A common theme I have seen is a change in perspective that the life focus is on raising the family.  I don't think the income is all that high in any of those families, but they are just committed to making it work, which often means doing without some things and keeping on a strict budget.

As far as the Catholicism thing, as someone who grew up Catholic myself, I'll just say:  If you are into it because of the culture and all, or you take comfort in the ritualistic aspects of it, I get that.  But if the goal is to be part of a "form of Christianity," Catholicism is directly incompatible with what it means to be a Christian, so I don't get that.  But I'll just leave it at that for purposes of this thread.  If you want to further discuss, we can do that by PM or take it to P/R.

Well, I am a former Catholic indoctrinated in Catholicism as a young child - i.e. I didn't have a choice - but quickly fled from it as a teenager. But bringing it back to this thread, the Catholic religion requires that newly married couples have children. In fact, if your a young couple and tell the priest that you don't plan on having children, they may refuse to marry you.

So in the Catholic religion the answer would be no - it is not OK not to have children.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a personal attack or whatever but how can you think that I wouldn't understand or believe my own viewpoint without knowing a thing about me?

I don't really want to get into it. You can think the world is too cruel and heartless to bring new life into all you want, but I'm sure you find all sorts of reasons to go on living, and hopefully aren't interested in dying anytime soon yourself. But in case you are and it's not just some edgy rationale, I hope you do seek out some help. People who are battling severe depression should definitely consider trying to get that under control before having kids.

That fact is totally invalid on the justification to have or not have children.  I'm in this world now and you're right, people can change that but more often than not they don't.  Regardless one would rather live than die doesn't mean their viewpoints on society aren't a valid enough factor in the decision not to have kids.  I feel you're not open to my and Michaels viewpoint at all truthfully.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

Well, I am a former Catholic indoctrinated in Catholicism as a young child - i.e. I didn't have a choice - but quickly fled from it as a teenager. But bringing it back to this thread, the Catholic religion requires that newly married couples have children. In fact, if your a young couple and tell the priest that you don't plan on having children, they may refuse to marry you.

So in the Catholic religion the answer would be no - it is not OK not to have children.

Granted, it's been a while, but I've never heard that ever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »

I'd be interested to hear more about that.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »
My outlook on life is pretty twisted and bleak, but I just really would feel horrible and selfish bringing life into this cruel, fucked up, cesspool of a world.  It just wouldn't be fair.

That too.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
I believe, there are no such things as accidents. We all know how Reproduction works, right.

I always liked that image floating around the web that said "A child is never a surprise or a mistake. You had unprotected sex, what did you expect? a DVD player?"  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a personal attack or whatever but how can you think that I wouldn't understand or believe my own viewpoint without knowing a thing about me?

I don't really want to get into it. You can think the world is too cruel and heartless to bring new life into all you want, but I'm sure you find all sorts of reasons to go on living, and hopefully aren't interested in dying anytime soon yourself. But in case you are and it's not just some edgy rationale, I hope you do seek out some help. People who are battling severe depression should definitely consider trying to get that under control before having kids.

That fact is totally invalid on the justification to have or not have children.  I'm in this world now and you're right, people can change that but more often than not they don't.  Regardless one would rather live than die doesn't mean their viewpoints on society aren't a valid enough factor in the decision not to have kids.  I feel you're not open to my and Michaels viewpoint at all truthfully.

He isn't, he's just trying to justify his judgment of others because he can't comprehend our position. Telling people to get help. GTFO

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

He isn't, he's just trying to justify his judgment of others because he can't comprehend our position. Telling people to get help. GTFO

I'm glad I'm not the only one that took offence at him telling people to get help.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2020, 04:55:58 AM »
Well, on the other hand, I love the kids. And one of the things I love about them is that they aren't mine  :lol I can enjoy their company, their absolute adorable cuteness when they're small and interacting with them when they're starting to grow up, but when they're moody or they don't want to sleep at night or they shit their pants, well, not my problem  :lol
These are some points I was thinking about as a dog owner. People are always like "ha ha I love dogs and I get the benefit of dogs by just being around them and then I leave them to their owners who have to deal with taking them out in the morning, random vomiting at 3AM and taking them to the vet", and all I can think of is, you don't even get 5% of the cool stuff when you're not that dog's owner. Not even close. And the crappy parts are pretty marginal in comparison. So if you actually like spending time with dogs, you should get one and just deal with the crap (literally) as it comes. Yeah, it sucked every time my dog woke me up by dropping a wet rubber chew toy on my forehead, but now it's a cute party story.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »
That brings up...

Do people who can't have kids get a pet, as it's human nature to nurture?

This stems from the modern society of Personifying Pets. Putting clothes on them, calling them their kids, etc...

That's why it's good to give kids, something to take care off, especially a living thing, like a plant or something similar, to teach them how to nurture and be responsible for the life you're caring for.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
I'd say yes.  We have 2 cats that are our children.  My wife and I tried for so long to have children including 3 times using in vitro fertilization.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
These are some points I was thinking about as a dog owner. People are always like "ha ha I love dogs and I get the benefit of dogs by just being around them and then I leave them to their owners who have to deal with taking them out in the morning, random vomiting at 3AM and taking them to the vet", and all I can think of is, you don't even get 5% of the cool stuff when you're not that dog's owner. Not even close. And the crappy parts are pretty marginal in comparison. So if you actually like spending time with dogs, you should get one and just deal with the crap (literally) as it comes. Yeah, it sucked every time my dog woke me up by dropping a wet rubber chew toy on my forehead, but now it's a cute party story.

And it absolutely did NOT suck every time they jumped up on the couch or the bed and curled up next to you when it was cold.

I was petrified of dogs up through college (I was attacked by a Weimaraner when I was like three) but for whatever reason they LOVE me.   A neighbors German shepherd - easily a 70lb dog - would try to curl up on my lap as I sat on the stoop in Philly.  My stepson's 50lb part pit bull, part boxer, part Lab, who had to be segregated from other dogs and most humans (my daughter and father-in-law wouldn't be in the same room with her) would literally climb up and grab my hand with her paw.

All this is to say, I think your dog analogy is spot on.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »

Yep - it's a thing. Now I'm sure it will vary from parish to parish but my nephew and his wife were going through counseling through the church before their marriage and the priest indicated he couldn't marry them if they weren't planning on having children. They fully intended on having kids so it wasn't an issue but they were quite taken aback by the comment. I knew a couple once where the church wouldn't marry them because one of them would not convert to catholicism. Weird shit man......

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
I fess up to having placed the original 'no' vote just to screw with people because I'm a mischievous imp

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »

Yep - it's a thing. Now I'm sure it will vary from parish to parish but my nephew and his wife were going through counseling through the church before their marriage and the priest indicated he couldn't marry them if they weren't planning on having children. They fully intended on having kids so it wasn't an issue but they were quite taken aback by the comment. I knew a couple once where the church wouldn't marry them because one of them would not convert to catholicism. Weird shit man......

I've heard of the latter, and I have no problem with that.    That's like saying "Chick-fil-A wouldn't sell them a hamburger.  Weird shit man.......".   The church is, after all, the church, and while I would expect some leniency on the strictness with which you PROACTIVELY follow the tenets of the church, I don't find it unusual or weird to have the CHURCH require that you actually be part of the the CHURCH. 

Offline H2

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »
So married people have to at least try to have children under Catholicism.

But single people have no obligation to get married. So a single Catholic who doesn't want kids just shouldn't get married. So, even on Catholicism, it's still true that it's OK if some people (e.g., single people) don't want to have kids.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2020, 12:06:27 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that took offence at him telling people to get help.

To be fair, the "get help" part was about wanting to die...I think. I wouldn't worry about it much. I (and you other mangs) don't need to justify to anyone why I don't want kids. I just don't  :metal

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »
So married people have to at least try to have children under Catholicism.

But single people have no obligation to get married. So a single Catholic who doesn't want kids just shouldn't get married. So, even on Catholicism, it's still true that it's OK if some people (e.g., single people) don't want to have kids.

Moo point..... :natalieportman:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2020, 03:38:12 PM »

To be fair, the "get help" part was about wanting to die...I think. I wouldn't worry about it much. I (and you other mangs) don't need to justify to anyone why I don't want kids. I just don't :metal

You just summed it up really.  One can think it's the human evolution to have kids, but exactly, we don't need to justify to anyone our decision, simple.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
Forget kids.

Have cats.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2020, 03:40:19 PM »
Or guitars :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2020, 03:41:35 PM »
Cats and guitars

But Absolutely Positively ZERO kids or Dogs.

:angry:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM »
Cats and guitars

But Absolutely Positively ZERO kids or Dogs.

:angry:

I wouldn't mind a dawg.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!