Poll

Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?

Yes
60 (95.2%)
No
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?  (Read 11101 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
Allergic to cats.

I'll take guitars, babies, and dogs.

I'll send you all the cats though Kotow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
Having a baby AND a dog in the same house would be a nightmare.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »

Aaaahhh, the sweet sounds of children crying and dawgs barking. How could you not want such a gift?  :biggrin:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
I want frogs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »
You spelled it incorrectly.   Does it sting that I pointed that out?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
*My best Russian voice*

*Stings like bull breathing in cold with no vodka*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2020, 07:03:17 PM »
No idea where that's from. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
Not from anything.  You git.

That insult was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2020, 07:12:35 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
 :lol

Love you too babe.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
I've got it in my head recently that I want a big family, like 7 kids. Anyone from that situation and know how to make it work?

I know a few large families like that in our extended homeschool network.  In all of them, one parent (usually, mom) stays home.  A common theme I have seen is a change in perspective that the life focus is on raising the family.  I don't think the income is all that high in any of those families, but they are just committed to making it work, which often means doing without some things and keeping on a strict budget.

As far as the Catholicism thing, as someone who grew up Catholic myself, I'll just say:  If you are into it because of the culture and all, or you take comfort in the ritualistic aspects of it, I get that.  But if the goal is to be part of a "form of Christianity," Catholicism is directly incompatible with what it means to be a Christian, so I don't get that.  But I'll just leave it at that for purposes of this thread.  If you want to further discuss, we can do that by PM or take it to P/R.

I'm going to leave the other thread alone because I don't really find those kind of discussions to be worthwhile, i.e., what counts as "real Christianity". Of course this puts me at odds with traditionalist Catholics too who seemed to like nothing better than calling everything they don't like "heresy". But the first part of this post is true, a lot of people are Catholics because it's what they were born into and they don't necessarily want to leave for somewhere else just because they might not like a few things about Catholicism, so I do think H2 will be a little bit disappointed upon converting especially if he realizes that most Catholics are much more practical than the hardline teachings would suggest.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2020, 01:37:47 AM »
Allergic to cats.

I'll take guitars, babies, and dogs.

I'll send you all the cats though Kotow.

Can I have some cats too?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2020, 04:15:20 AM »

Aaaahhh, the sweet sounds of children crying and dawgs barking. How could you not want such a gift?  :biggrin:
Where do you guys live if people don't teach dogs not to bark in the house there? :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2020, 04:37:08 AM »
Nobody gives a fuck around here.

Because " wE dOnT DeSeRve DoGsssssssssssssssssss"

People let their shitty dogs get away with everything

---

The funny thing is - the dog that goes apeshit when you walk past its house - if you got inside the house and approached it - that dog would SHIT ITSELF:D

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »
" wE dOnT DeSeRve DoGsssssssssssssssssss"
Oh man, I hate people who act like this. For two years we fostered puppies and had dog daycare/dog sitting business out of our home, which Covid basically killed. We had probably around 100 different dogs in our home at various times. Many of the dogs were great, but more of them were annoying little shits. Barking at everything, needing constant attention, pooping/peeing/puking on the floor, extreme separation anxiety, etc. Many of the dogs I felt were not worth the money we made off of them. Dog owners are more blind to their dogs annoying behavior than parents are for sure. All parents think their kids can be little shits at times. I've never heard a dog owner say anything but good things about their dogs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
You usually get out of dogs what you put into them (which is not the case with cats and children). That's why people don't complain about their dogs' annoying behavior, they're aware that it reflects badly on them. Like, yeah, there is a Cult of Dog on social media especially, but there is also a practical reason why people don't complain about their dogs, they're self aware enough not to do that.

If dealing with dogs' physiological and psychological needs in an unfamiliar situation is annoying, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that COVID killed that business? At least you don't have to do that anymore.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
Completely agree on getting out of data what you out into them. Honestly I think some dog owners want their dogs to be needy and dependent on them. It makes them feel wanted and important. I think you largely get out what you out into kids as well, but maybe a little less than with dogs.

Yeah, it was certainly a blessing that Covid killed our business. While the money was nice, we were burnt out on it and needed a break. We had a baby a few days ago and we're always planning on taking a few months off, but I think we're just completely done with it at this point.

Offline H2

« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
I've got it in my head recently that I want a big family, like 7 kids. Anyone from that situation and know how to make it work?

I know a few large families like that in our extended homeschool network.  In all of them, one parent (usually, mom) stays home.  A common theme I have seen is a change in perspective that the life focus is on raising the family.  I don't think the income is all that high in any of those families, but they are just committed to making it work, which often means doing without some things and keeping on a strict budget.

As far as the Catholicism thing, as someone who grew up Catholic myself, I'll just say:  If you are into it because of the culture and all, or you take comfort in the ritualistic aspects of it, I get that.  But if the goal is to be part of a "form of Christianity," Catholicism is directly incompatible with what it means to be a Christian, so I don't get that.  But I'll just leave it at that for purposes of this thread.  If you want to further discuss, we can do that by PM or take it to P/R.

I'm going to leave the other thread alone because I don't really find those kind of discussions to be worthwhile, i.e., what counts as "real Christianity". Of course this puts me at odds with traditionalist Catholics too who seemed to like nothing better than calling everything they don't like "heresy". But the first part of this post is true, a lot of people are Catholics because it's what they were born into and they don't necessarily want to leave for somewhere else just because they might not like a few things about Catholicism, so I do think H2 will be a little bit disappointed upon converting especially if he realizes that most Catholics are much more practical than the hardline teachings would suggest.
Thanks, I am certainly noticing the lack of concern for actual meaning of religious practice and belief amongst Catholics. This is not helped much by the fact that, judging from the parishes I've visited, there does not seem to be a strong attempt from the leadership to change this. Websites are incomplete, technological communication tools are shoddy (microphones, speaker systems), and the content of the homilies I've heard are platitudinous and passionless. This has not been ubiquitous in my experience of Catholic services, but it is prevalent. And lots of people there who are just there just because. It's as though teaching and understanding are secondary to the creation of a reverential vibe, which is backwards IMO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »

Thanks, I am certainly noticing the lack of concern for actual meaning of religious practice and belief amongst Catholics. This is not helped much by the fact that, judging from the parishes I've visited, there does not seem to be a strong attempt from the leadership to change this. Websites are incomplete, technological communication tools are shoddy (microphones, speaker systems), and the content of the homilies I've heard are platitudinous and passionless. This has not been ubiquitous in my experience of Catholic services, but it is prevalent. And lots of people there who are just there just because. It's as though teaching and understanding are secondary to the creation of a reverential vibe, which is backwards IMO.

Just as data point, not argument, but both of your experiences of Catholicism are somewhat different than mine (I feel like Kate McKinnon in that alien skit on SNL).   I don't argue with the "reverential vibe" - that seems to be slightly more prevalent than the "let's party" vibe that other sects sometimes try to adopt (presumably to respond to the youth and the social media age).   There are always people that reject things they don't like as "heresay", but that's not exclusive to Catholicism.   There IS ritual, though, and I think that gets mistaken as "platitudinous and passionless".   I can't speak for anyone else, but when I go into church, I'm not looking for a Youtube video, I'm looking for comfort, stability, reliability, commonality.  FOR ME (in caps, because I recognize I'm speaking only for me) I'm not looking for a spiritual explosion; I'm looking to get AWAY from a spiritual explosion and looking for some grounding.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »

That could be cause those who are a devout catholic, see Catholicism as their Identity and who they are. They understand, this is who I am, This is where my tree lies, and this is how I should live. They found their answer to the life-long question of "Who Am I?"

I know Who I Am...and Where I'm From....How many people can truly answer that question, with factual information like DNA and Ancestry. It's why these DNA sites exist, because people are wanting to know "Who Am I?"

" wE dOnT DeSeRve DoGsssssssssssssssssss"
Oh man, I hate people who act like this. For two years we fostered puppies and had dog daycare/dog sitting business out of our home, which Covid basically killed. We had probably around 100 different dogs in our home at various times. Many of the dogs were great, but more of them were annoying little shits. Barking at everything, needing constant attention, pooping/peeing/puking on the floor, extreme separation anxiety, etc. Many of the dogs I felt were not worth the money we made off of them. Dog owners are more blind to their dogs annoying behavior than parents are for sure. All parents think their kids can be little shits at times. I've never heard a dog owner say anything but good things about their dogs.

Haha, it's completely opposite on the Rez. We know our dogs are little shits, and get into things. We let our dogs roam free. They're known as Rez Dogs...

So...I am just sitting here completely laughing my ass off at the dog dicsussion.  :rollin

Don't even get me started on the people that say "Oh, my boy, my baby, my son, my daughter, my kids" when they're talking about their dog(s).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2020, 08:14:49 AM »
Completely agree on getting out of data what you out into them. Honestly I think some dog owners want their dogs to be needy and dependent on them. It makes them feel wanted and important. I think you largely get out what you out into kids as well, but maybe a little less than with dogs.

Yeah, it was certainly a blessing that Covid killed our business. While the money was nice, we were burnt out on it and needed a break. We had a baby a few days ago and we're always planning on taking a few months off, but I think we're just completely done with it at this point.

It's fascinating how some people don't even understand the concept of Animals and how they have their own brains and can think for themselves and act for themselves. Especially Wild Animals, people treat them like they're a pet. Then wonder why that animal charged at them, bit them, or you know, Shot it's Stink in your face. It's being completely unaware of Nature, and I find that a fascinating concept about People's Mindsets.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline H2

« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
BenJamin, just want to say you have a fascinating way of capitalizing different nouns.  :lol It's like reading the Founding Fathers.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
BenJamin, just want to say you have a fascinating way of capitalizing different nouns.  :lol It's like reading the Founding Fathers.

I don't why I do it, I guess it's an emphasis thing, instead of Bolding to highlight important words or phrases.  :lol

Could be because I have that train of thought and don't want to lose it.

I'll try and not do that as much, if it does bother some grammar people... :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
Don't even get me started on the people that say "Oh, my boy, my baby, my son, my daughter, my kids" when they're talking about their dog(s).
Big fucking pet peeve!!!!

First of all, the dog has a mother. Unless you found a litter of puppies, fed them through a bottle and taught them how to be dogs and you will keep them forever, you are not their mother or father or anything of the sort. Second of all, the language. "We found this little girl in the trash can!" My heart skips a beat. You found a little girl in the trash can? Picture of puppy. I'm still horrified, but now I am also annoyed, congratulations.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2020, 04:05:07 PM »
Just as data point, not argument, but both of your experiences of Catholicism are somewhat different than mine (I feel like Kate McKinnon in that alien skit on SNL).   I don't argue with the "reverential vibe" - that seems to be slightly more prevalent than the "let's party" vibe that other sects sometimes try to adopt (presumably to respond to the youth and the social media age).   There are always people that reject things they don't like as "heresay", but that's not exclusive to Catholicism.   There IS ritual, though, and I think that gets mistaken as "platitudinous and passionless".   I can't speak for anyone else, but when I go into church, I'm not looking for a Youtube video, I'm looking for comfort, stability, reliability, commonality.  FOR ME (in caps, because I recognize I'm speaking only for me) I'm not looking for a spiritual explosion; I'm looking to get AWAY from a spiritual explosion and looking for some grounding.

I like this and can totally see the appeal. As a British atheist, I love being in churches. I love the architecture and history, certainly, but the feel of the places is so calming too. Must be incredible to feel an existential peace too. I'm barely ever in services but I also feel we miss the sense of togetherness and community as people who don't actively attend temples.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
Literally every time I see a pile of dog shit on the pavement or hear a dog barking at nothing for several minutes - or see dogs go fucking apeshit for no reason

other than they saw each other - I always go  ::) We don't deserrrrrrrrve dogsssssss in a super sarcastic voice.

" Oh but we have guide dogs and sniffer dogs and bomb dogs - they are literal angelsssssssssssssss "

:loser: Were they born with these skills ? NO

Did WE teach them all these things ? YES.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
I love dogs, and animals in general, but I am happy none of my neighbors have that annoying barking dog that keeps the neighborhood awake. 

Growing up we had small dogs, the annoying barking type. I loved them, but I know they were still annoying af at times.  Personally, if I ever get a dog (never had one myself, always just the family pets growing up) I'd go for a bit of a bigger dog that has better temperament.

But I may just stick with cats, my cat can certainly be an ass, but he's pretty damn easy to deal with and shows plenty of affection.  Certainly won't ever bother anyone outside my home.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Another dog lover here.  Life-long owner of dogs.  I will never not have a dog, and in fact, we always have at least 2 dogs.  We love them dearly and they love us dearly and unconditionally and as we say here in New England, "it's pissah"  :biggrin: 

My son has 3 dogs and two very young children and his house is a wonderful mixture of chaos, fun and love. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »

First of all, the dog has a mother. Unless you found a litter of puppies, fed them through a bottle and taught them how to be dogs and you will keep them forever, you are not their mother or father or anything of the sort. Second of all, the language. "We found this little girl in the trash can!" My heart skips a beat. You found a little girl in the trash can? Picture of puppy. I'm still horrified, but now I am also annoyed, congratulations.

I'm going to disagree.  My wife and I tried to have children over a decade.  We even tried In Vitro 3 times.  We just couldn't have children.  So for us, our 2 cats are our children.  Harry & Sally are now 16 years old.  That's a long time in our lives.  They to us, are our children.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »

I'm going to disagree.  My wife and I tried to have children over a decade.  We even tried In Vitro 3 times.  We just couldn't have children.  So for us, our 2 cats are our children.  Harry & Sally are now 16 years old.  That's a long time in our lives.  They to us, are our children.

I did not have children with my current wife.  We've been married 20 years, we decided early on we weren't going to have any kids because we were both already almost 40 when we tied the knot.  I have a son from a 1 night stand in 1984 who I didn't have a relationship with at all until last year.  I also have two grandkids and they're great and I'm grateful to have managed to find a way to have a relationship with them, but our dogs are definitely very much like our children.  If someone finds that offensive I think it says more about where THEY are at in THEIR lives than it does about mine.   

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »
Dog is god spelled backwards. Some people have doggies, we have Goddies!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal