Poll

Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?

Yes
60 (95.2%)
No
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?  (Read 11078 times)

Offline WildRanger

« on: October 28, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
What do you think? Is it acceptable to you or not?
And do you personally know some couples who wanted to be children-free?

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Is it OK if some people don't want to have kids?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
Of course it's more than acceptable and frankly, it's about time that mankind accepts this simple truth.

Some people - be them women, or couples - don't want to have kids. That's fine. There will always be other couples who will want to have kids, we won't become extinct anytime soon.

"But kids are the greatest joy in life"... yeah, but some people don't want to have kids. "But you will regret it..." maybe, but some people don't want to have kids. "But how can you not want..." SOME - PEOPLE - DON'T - WANT - TO - HAVE - KIDS. Accept it and move on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:46:05 AM »
yes

/thread
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »
God yes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »
I'd like to know the opinion of the person voting no.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »
The answer is yes, but to expand on that.  While having children is a great joy to see their smiles and all, there's a form of responsibility that parents has to hold to and there are just plenty of people out there that do not want that responsibility in that moment they do not want kids and that's ok.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:58:09 AM »
The answer is yes, but to expand on that.  While having children is a great joy to see their smiles and all, there's a form of responsibility that parents has to hold to and there are just plenty of people out there that do not want that responsibility in that moment they do not want kids and that's ok.

I'll double on this and add that TOO MANY PEOPLE sadly don't understand they're not fit to take on that responsability.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »
Anyone ever see the movie Idiocracy?  The basis is that the smart people realize they don't want kids but the dumb people keep producing so the world changes to become really really stupid.  It often feels like reality where many stupid people don't realize how hard it is to raise kids and they are the ones who have the most. 

Here's the opening scene that explains the premise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA   :lol it's a really funny movie

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
Anyone ever see the movie Idiocracy?  The basis is that the smart people realize they don't want kids but the dumb people keep producing so the world changes to become really really stupid.  It often feels like reality where many stupid people don't realize how hard it is to raise kids and they are the ones who have the most. 

Here's the opening scene that explains the premise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA   :lol it's a really funny movie

Might seem this way, but it's impossible to have more than one kid and not realize how hard they are. Those parents probably aren't stupid, it just looks like that from the outside as the childrearing has likely fried their brains.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »

Correction: it WAS a funny movie. Now it's just a eerie reminder of where our society is headed.

But President Camacho would have been a better one than #45 - he actually sought an expert in times of crisis and listened to his advice  :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »

Seconded.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 12:30:18 PM »
Why would my opinion on somebody's own choice even matter?

so:

yes

/thread
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »

Might seem this way, but it's impossible to have more than one kid and not realize how hard they are. Those parents probably aren't stupid, it just looks like that from the outside as the childrearing has likely fried their brains.

Sure if you are committed to the family, but lots of people sadly are not which is more of what I was referring to as the "dumb people" because they have babies and don't live up to the commitment of being a father, but will go off and do it again.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
OK, my answer on this may seem a little weird, but yes, of course it's perfectly fine if someone doesn't want to have children.  I have a 33-year-old son and two grandchildren but if I'd had my way he wouldn't exist.  I was a much, much different person back then and I was in no shape to handle being a parent.  And, in the end, I never really was a parent to him because I was not a part of his life until he became an adult.  Why and how that all unfolded the way it did is a story for another day.  Now, today, as a 56 year old grandpa I am thrilled that I have a son and a granddaughter and a grandson, but they exist only because the rubber broke and that's no joke.  That's how she got knocked up and no matter how hard I tried to talk her into ending the pregnancy she wanted to keep it so that's what she did.  She raised him, I supported him financially until he was 23 and he joined the Navy.  He got out of the Navy and now he's a parole officer.  :lol   What are the odds?  :rollin

I think a lot of people who have no business having kids are mostly the ones having kids, unfortunately.  Kids having kids.  I have a 30 year old niece who has a 17 year old daughter.  Nope, that's not a typo.  Like I said, kids having kids.  That's never a good idea and it almost always ends in a maladjusted, dysfunctional kid who grows up to be a terrible parent and the cycle just keeps on going.  I'm now watching the 3rd generation of my wife's extended family kill themselves with heroin and meth.  All we can do is watch it unfold and pick up the pieces when they eventually go to jail.   The "pieces" being all of my great nieces and nephews whose completely fucked-up parents would rather smoke crack and spend the night crawling around on the carpet doing the pebble patrol than you know, like, feeding their kids. 

I see way too much of this up close and it's tragic.  I think you should have to get a license or something to become a parent. Seriously. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
What the hell kind of question is this?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
What do you think? Is it acceptable to you or not?
And do you personally know some couples who wanted to be children-free?

This is utterly absurd.  Of course it's acceptable for folks not to want to have kids.  In fact, there are lots of people who are too damn stupid to procreate.

I've known a guy who, since high school, hasn't wanted to have kids.  He got a vasectomy in his early 20s.  I'm not terribly close with him, but I see no indication that he regrets that decision.

+1
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline emtee

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »

+1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »
I think you should have to get a license or something to become a parent. Seriously.

I fully support the general and abstract concept of monitoring who is fit to be a parent and who is not. The problem is that there isn't, and there will never, ever, ever be, a just, rational, fair and humane method to determine that. So it's impossible to implement any kind of "license" about it. But it would be nice to have one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »

See, Freewill is those who don't want kids.

Red Barchetta is made to transport a family of 4. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
I think you should have to get a license or something to become a parent. Seriously.

I fully support the general and abstract concept of monitoring who is fit to be a parent and who is not. The problem is that there isn't, and there will never, ever, ever be, a just, rational, fair and humane method to determine that. So it's impossible to implement any kind of "license" about it. But it would be nice to have one.

Yea, it's a nice idea but backfires in the face of my belief in personal freedoms.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »

Yup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 01:29:37 PM »
Is it acceptable to you or not?

By the way: 'acceptable' !? What the fuck? Are you even serious? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline H2

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
Sure it's OK. I used to think this would be my path. Now I want to have many kids (maybe seven minimum). I do think people can "know" they never want kids one year, then "know" they want kids the next.

Also, the govt should stay the f--- out of people's personal family decisions (whom to marry, how many kids to have, how many people to marry, everything!).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »
I take offence at this thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »

Yes have seen it and sadly I think it's slowly becoming a reality.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »

I want it clear it was NOT me.  :) :) :)

I do maintain though that for better or worse it's the person's prerogative to decide.  If they can have an abortion, they can decide to keep it, too.   I don't support any government intervention in that.  If you can vote, you can fuck, is how I see it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »

Absolutely.  If this were the case, there would be a LOT less people in the world.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
I wanted kids on principle, but as life went on I saw how much easier it is to be kid free.  Saves A LOT less money and hassle.  I've been a cat daddy for many years, that's fine with me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
Yes, of course.  Why wouldn't it be ok and who has the right to say no it's not ok?  I think the OP just likes to post meaningless crap in order to sit back and watch the fallout of annoyed forum members.  :\

Yeah, me too.  It's probably someone who should not have reproduced.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
I wanted kids on principle, but as life went on I saw how much easier it is to be kid free.  Saves A LOT less money and hassle.  I've been a cat daddy for many years, that's fine with me.

Cat Daddies unite!  Almost all my friends have a child or two now.  They all say it's the best thing in the world.  Yet, they also say they are jealous of my single life at the same time.  I don't think there's a right or wrong here, just got to be yourself and if that means having children, so be it, and if that means no kids, so be it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
My outlook on life is pretty twisted and bleak, but I just really would feel horrible and selfish bringing life into this cruel, fucked up, cesspool of a world.  It just wouldn't be fair.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
My outlook on life is pretty twisted and bleak, but I just really would feel horrible and selfish bringing life into this cruel, fucked up, cesspool of a world.  It just wouldn't be fair.

100% the same, buddy. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my friends who are now raising babies or have kids going into school... but fuck, man. The world is screwed up in so many ways, and there's just no way I could bring a kid into it, personally. More power to those that can.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
Is it okay? Frankly it should be encouraged. I consider myself pretty eco minded, and while I take recycling home from work to make sure it is recycled properly, buy my power from a company that deals in 100% wind energy, and then power an electric car with some of that energy none of that has nearly the same environmental impact as our decision not to have children.

I'm not saying this to come out against those who have kids or want them, but as a society in our laws (via benefits for having kids throughout multiple areas) and just in general we need to stop glorifying and rewarding having children. We're centuries past the point where the primal reasons for that desire needs to be reflected in everything for our survival.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »

100% the same, buddy. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my friends who are now raising babies or have kids going into school... but fuck, man. The world is screwed up in so many ways, and there's just no way I could bring a kid into it, personally. More power to those that can.

It's good to know there's others out there with the same outlook.  The world is getting worse so if I had a kid and when they turn my age, who knows how much worse this place will be. 

The sacrifice for it though has been as you say, all old friends of mine have kids also so as time goes by, we don't connect as much.  I knows others do as their kids go to the same school or if they are younger have play dates and shit and unfortunately it feels like I have less in common because I don't have kids.  Still not something I'd change my decision for but I guess there's pros and cons of both sides.  The amount of money I've saved and the easy lifestyle I live, others with kids would fucking kill for.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »

THIS IS NOT ARGUMENT.   

But I'd love to talk that over sometime.  I get the concept/idea, but I'm of two minds.  I know for me, it was purely selfish, I wanted to pass on my stellar genes it wasn't really conscious.  I waited until I was 33 before I had my daughter, and it was all those things that you hear - best thing ever, changed my life, etc. etc. - but I also lived enough as an adult that I totally see the opposite.   SO MUCH of my life would be different if I didn't have a kid.  I'd've lived overseas for sure, I would have moved more for work, I would have been divorced a LOT earlier, I'd be significantly more wealthy, etc.     But FOR ME, I am a more compassionate, understanding person, I'm a better man and partner, and I'm a more SOBER man for having a kid.  At the end of the day, I am proud of how my daughter, even at the tender age of 19, is doing her part to make the world a better place than how she found it. 

Again, don't take this for argument; I get you, and I support your position 1000% (the right to have it).   I'm really just offering a point of view and with that, suggesting pretty strongly that it IS a personal decision, and the rationale, at the end of the day, doesn't really matter and neither point of view really ought to be "encouraged" except to equalize them.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 02:45:01 PM by Stadler »