Author Topic: Kyros v. Mannequin (OUT NOW)  (Read 1367 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Kyros v. Mannequin (OUT NOW)
« on: April 20, 2020, 06:07:29 AM »
I'm just gonna dive in and start a thread for this band, who are one of my favourite discoveries of recent years. Kyros announced their 3rd album Celexa Dreams is released June 19th.

https://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2020/04/16/exclusive-premiere-a-rumour-tells-me-this-new-kyros-track-is-great/

The band were initially known as Synaesthesia. They released an eponymous album in 2014 before changing to Kyros and releasing the epic double Vox Humana in 2016.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:14:11 AM by RoeDent »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Kyros
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 06:10:56 AM »
Adam wanted to go for an 80's style prog sound to this album ala Rush - Power Windows.

I'm interested in the dynamics with Joey Frevola as the only guitarist in the band now..
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »
Yay another fan! Or at least another person who's aware of them!

I'd been aware of Kyros since Synaesthesia came out, but it took last year for me to finally buy both albums. Vox Humana is a brilliant album! Cloudburst grabbed me immediately, and the disc 2 epic The Human Voice is utterly spectacular! I hope the new album wins them more fans. One of the most exciting young prog bands out there, imo.

And as you mentioned him, I recently discovered Joey Frevola's other band Edge of Reality. My reaction to them is similar to that when I first heard Haken. They are everything that thrills me about progressive metal. I hope to get their albums eventually too.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »
I've listened to the Synaesthesia album when it came out and I really liked it! I've fallen behind on discovering new music in the last few years so I didn't know they changed their name, but now I will probably check this album out when it releases. I'll try the Vox Humana album tomorrow, too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kyros v. Celexa Dreams (out June 19th)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »
You'll like Vox Humana.

Thanks to Nick I've hung out with the band a few times. Great guys. I love the 80's influence so far. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
I saw them live under both names at Rosfest. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »
Another fan here, and I've gotten to know Adam in particular reasonably well (and Robin to a lesser extent). Really nice guys.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
I saw them live under both names at Rosfest. 

Speaking of RoSfest, at last year's festival Adam did let me listen to a 5-ish minute track, as well as 5 or so minutes from a longer epic, and I have to say I loved what I heard. They said it during yesterday's discord chat, but even back then it was super obvious that Peter's bass is going to play a much bigger role on this album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:27:27 AM »
Nice!  Any band is better off with the bass up in the mix.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
Has anyone heard the new album yet? Or are we waiting for the physical release on August 14th.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
Has anyone heard the new album yet? Or are we waiting for the physical release on August 14th.

It's fantastic.  Bright, fun, a tip of the hat to the 80's.  Worth the download.

Offline RoeDent

Re: Kyros v. Celexa Dreams (out now digitally; physical release August 14th)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
Finally got my hands on the Celexa Dreams CD this week. Holy cow, this is a HUGE sounding album. Stunning! It's funny, one of the sounds that got my attention on Vox Humana was the drum machine toms at one point during the instrumental second part of The Human Voice (movement title currently escapes me). For this album, they took that particular element and went full-on 80s. And it's magnificent!

One of my favourite things to appear during these times has been Kyros' series of "Isolation Gigs". They've made a few of them, available on their Youtube channel. The latest one was a covers show, and they've released some songs from it onto the Tube of You, including this cover of Behind the Lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sls6SSnO0k

Offline romdrums

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
Got the CD of this a few weeks back as well. Really digging it so far.  I'll have to go back and get their earlier albums.  To me, it feels like Affinity Part Two, which I'm perfectly okay with.  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 10:18:13 PM »

Offline RoeDent

Re: Kyros v. Mannequin (OUT NOW)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 11:15:19 AM »
Kyros' fourth studio album Mannequin is released today! And it's bloody brilliant!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2rAyUXtbKSpTeVT3rFVxkT?si=WCmM39pOSnqJiiqrI34zDA

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 12:44:20 PM »
So damn catchy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 02:23:42 PM »
Gave it a spin while running errands, really upbeat, catchy, and fun with groove for days.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2024, 08:37:31 AM »
The album is really good. I missed all the marketing for it and heard "The End in Mind" for the first time this weekend. That a masterpiece.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 03:26:35 PM »
The album has annoying short silences between tracks that segue into each other. Always just a fraction of a second but enough to kill the flow. Too.bad that nobody noticed in time to fix it  :'(