Poll

Iron Maiden - S/T vs. Metallica - Kill 'em All?

Iron Maiden - S/T
30 (60%)
Metallica - Kill 'em All
20 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: POLL: Iron Maiden - S/T vs. Metallica - Kill 'em All?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: POLL: Iron Maiden - S/T vs. Metallica - Kill 'em All?
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
It's mystifying to me how someone could like Metallica and (presumably) DT, but then not like Iron Maiden.  ???
How?  Well, I like Metallica and DT, but I don't like Iron Maiden.

That's how.

OK. That's your personal taste.
But we probably wouldn't have Dream Theater without Iron Maiden.

So? We wouldn't have Iron Maiden without The Beatles and we wouldn't have the Beatles without Elvis or George Formby. Doesn't mean we should like Elvis or George Formby.

Yep, that's the way it is. You don't have to be a fan of all those acts but you should admit and respect their status in music history.

Don’t recall Hef saying he didn’t respect Iron Maiden’s role in music history.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
It's mystifying to me how someone could like Metallica and (presumably) DT, but then not like Iron Maiden.  ???
How?  Well, I like Metallica and DT, but I don't like Iron Maiden.

That's how.

OK. That's your personal taste.
But we probably wouldn't have Dream Theater without Iron Maiden.

So? We wouldn't have Iron Maiden without The Beatles and we wouldn't have the Beatles without Elvis or George Formby. Doesn't mean we should like Elvis or George Formby.

Yep, that's the way it is. You don't have to be a fan of all those acts but you should admit and respect their status in music history.
Did I disrespect Iron Maiden? 

I don't know about their status in music history, but whatever that is, I'm sure they've earned it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »

I love, love, love me some symphonic progressive rock, 70's style.  Really enjoy listening to Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, especially the early catalogs of both of those groups.  The first 6 Spock's Beard albums and the first....8 or 9 albums from The Flower Kings are prog gold to me.  Same with Transatlantic.  Now these bands ALL borrow very, very heavily from the styles, sounds and songwriting of 70's Yes, Genesis and ELP maybe even a bit of King Crimson.

So, you'd think that I would love or at least like Yes, Genesis, ELP and King Crimson right?  Wrong! I like about 1/2 of the early Genesis albums but rarely listen to them.  I can't name a single song by King Crimson, in fact.  Wait, I lied, is "Thrack" a song?  If so, it's the one song I can name from King Crimson.  As for Yes, I don't own a single album of theirs nor would I.  I find 95% of their material to be too tedious and I can only take so much of those elfen vocals by Jon Anderson.   I know and even enjoy a handful of Yes tracks but that's it: a handful at best and mostly the radio hits like Roundabout, Leave It and Owner of a Lonely Heart.  So, as a general principle I don't listen to any of those 4 bands, ever.  Even though I love Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, two bands who made a living by practically aping the Genesis and Yes early catalogs.

I love Dream Theater and Iron Maiden but have very little love for Metallica.  I enjoy a couple of their classic albums, but I find most of their lyrics sound like they were written by a 15-year-old introverted sociopath.

I get what you're saying.  A lot of Dream Theater fans do like Iron Maiden and Metallica, but there are plenty of people right here on this board that love Dream Theater but have little use for Iron Maiden.  They're really not as similar as they might seem at first glance, especially lyrically, but also musically.  There are similarities for sure, but I can definitely understand people liking Dream Theater but not liking Maiden or Metallica. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »

Metallica were my first love, and the first band I became obsessional over. Dream Theater were a band I discovered later, when my tastes broadened and just struck a chord with me. Maiden were a band I tried, after getting into other big metal bands, following Metallica.

However, for me I didn't like Bruce's vocals and just felt they just weren't that great. To me I always thought if it like this. Growing up I LOVED Star Wars (I still do). It was cool as shit. Han Solo? Cool. Darth Vader? Cool. Epic space battles? Cool. Soundtrack? Cool. My neighbour loved Star Trek and I just always thought it was lame and lacked that 'cool' factor. It was what what people who tucked their t-shirt into their trousers liked!

I, uh... hmm, I never did that.  That picture is misleading; it's not tucked in, you just can't see it.  ;)

Comparing Metallica to Maiden, as arguably the biggest two metal bands of all time, I just thought Maiden were lame. Compared to Metallica (especially Hetfield) who just oozed cool.

I think that is something I could never get past. I've tried Maiden many times and could honestly say I would be fine if I never heard a Maiden song ever again. I suppose I can understand why people like them, it's just not for me.

No argument, I respect your taste, but for me, a couple years earlier, it was the exact opposite.  Maiden was the first rock band I ever saw live, and I was BLOWN AWAY by Bruce Dickinson.  I was a singer in my high school band, and I saw him and it took the wind out of my sails (hahaha).   I lived and breathed Maiden for about four years.  I have no ink to this day, but if I was to get a tat, there's a decent shot it would be something from the Powerslave record, like the Eye Of Horus.  I still have my concert shirt and ticket from that first show.  When Metallica came out it was a little... not "comedic", but it just seemed sort of hard to take seriously.  The Cowardly Lion singing about lightning over these riffs that sound sped up?   Nah, pass.   I know now that's not what it is, but I never got on the thrash bandwagon, and to be blunt, I like Metallica more since they gently moved away from the thrash, James started actually singing rather than using that tinny yell that sounds like he's coming through a bullhorn.

(And I'm not being disrespectful with any of those comments.  I'm trying to be funny.  I actually do love James, and have repeatedly called him the coolest guy in metal right now.)

Hey I get it, it's fine. I believe in the multiverse. There are countless universes in which Maiden were the first metal band I discovered, hence became my favourite band. Hell, there are even universes out there in which I am IN Iron Maiden  :rollin

I think so much of what we hold dear about bands we love, and cherish as our favourites, comes down to random chaos. Our parents listened to certain music; we had an older sibling/relative who exposed us to bands our parents would never listen to; a friend at school recommended some band; there was a certain trend in music in our formative years (glam/thrash/grunge/nu-metal). It's all just chance and we all could have basically ended up big fans of bands we think suck, and vice versa. In countless universes that's exactly what happened.

*mic drop*

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
It's crazy to me how many times I've seen Hef take heat for not liking Iron Maiden. Not everybody is going to like every band!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 01:54:59 PM »

Hey I get it, it's fine. I believe in the multiverse. There are countless universes in which Maiden were the first metal band I discovered, hence became my favourite band. Hell, there are even universes out there in which I am IN Iron Maiden  :rollin

I think so much of what we hold dear about bands we love, and cherish as our favourites, comes down to random chaos. Our parents listened to certain music; we had an older sibling/relative who exposed us to bands our parents would never listen to; a friend at school recommended some band; there was a certain trend in music in our formative years (glam/thrash/grunge/nu-metal). It's all just chance and we all could have basically ended up big fans of bands we think suck, and vice versa. In countless universes that's exactly what happened.

*mic drop*

Haha, I love that.  I think you're 100% right on.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
Did I disrespect Iron Maiden? 

I don't know about their status in music history, but whatever that is, I'm sure they've earned it.

OK. I didn't mean that you disrespect IM, I didn't criticize you at all. I was just saying generally about people who tend to be disrespectful towards some historically significant and influential bands ("they suck ass" attitude) just because they don't like their music.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:44:09 PM by WildRanger »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 02:41:01 PM »
It's crazy to me how many times I've seen Hef take heat for not liking Iron Maiden. Not everybody is going to like every band!

Exactly.  Iron Maiden's place in metal history is pretty secure, but I can count on one hand the number of songs by them that I like. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »
There are similarities for sure, but I can definitely understand people liking Dream Theater but not liking Maiden or Metallica.

I can get that.
But generally (outside of their fandom and this board) Dream Theater is much more polarizing than both Iron Maiden and Metallica. Their music just can't have the same wide appeal as those two bands. I think there are a way more Maiden and Metallica fans who dislike (and even detest) Dream Theater than DT fans who detest IM and Metallica.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 03:38:00 PM »
Personally I prefer Meatallica

They're releasing a new EP with re-recorded classics like:

Enter Sandwich
For Ham The Bell Tolls
Buttery
Burn to Black

You heard it here first
 :xbones

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »
Maiden are my core thing and my favourite band ever.

But I voted KEA, even though I don't dig Metallica much anymore.

The highs are amazing on IM (Phantom, Transylvania, the 2 ballads) but there's meh (Prowler, Running) and some really bad (Charlotte, Iron Maiden).

KEA is all solid at minimum and most of it is really good. And it sounds good. Only the vocals are sub-standard. It's just a more accomplished work.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 05:04:12 PM »
Personally I prefer Meatallica

They're releasing a new EP with re-recorded classics like:

Enter Sandwich
For Ham The Bell Tolls
Buttery
Burn to Black

You heard it here first
 :xbones

New from the folks who brought you Mac Sabbath!   :lol :biggrin: :lol :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »
I think there are a way more Maiden and Metallica fans who dislike (and even detest) Dream Theater than DT fans who detest IM and Metallica.

This is not news.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol