Poll

Which act does your favorite version of this song? (Choose one)

David Bowie
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
The Wallflowers
Other (feel free to elaborate)

Author Topic: Favorite version of “Heroes”  (Read 1308 times)

Offline HOF

Favorite version of “Heroes”
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
So I’ve never really liked the Bowie version of this song to be honest, but at least two of the three covers I listed are amazing and the third is better than the original (IMO, I’ll let you guess which is which). There are probably others I’m not aware of though. Seems kind of like Hallelujah as far as everyone covering it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Favorite version of “Heroes”
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:05:52 PM »
David Bowie's is my fav, but the Wallflowers one is pretty close.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
The cover that John Mitchell did was pretty spectacular IMO.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »

-Marc.

Hadn’t heard that before. So it’s a cover of the Gabriel cover! Nice rendition.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:02 PM »

-Marc.

Hadn’t heard that before. So it’s a cover of the Gabriel cover! Nice rendition.

Indeed! I was pleasantly surprised by it, and the video, while simple, was quite effective. John has such a warm voice that suits the song quite well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 12:27:38 AM »
Definitely the Peter Gabriel version. Scratch My Back is PG's best album in my opinion (yes that's right) and 'Heroes' as the opener is just perfect. Fades in and fades out. It's like a sunrise.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 04:41:02 AM »
Definitely the Peter Gabriel version. Scratch My Back is PG's best album in my opinion (yes that's right) and 'Heroes' as the opener is just perfect. Fades in and fades out. It's like a sunrise.
I love all his albums, but yes.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
I just listened to all those other ones, but the David Bowie version is still my favorite. The KC version was pretty good as well, the wallflowers version was just OK, I didn't quite enjoy the Gabriel version, but I really liked the John Mitchell one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
So I spent way too long last night on YouTube trying to find a clip of the Def Leppard VH1 Storytellers episode where they went into Heroes briefly from the outro of Hysteria. I remember thinking it was really cool how they flowed together. Doesn’t appear to be on YouTube though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
Motorhead!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:19 AM »
The Oasis version is excellent (it's the b-side of the "D'you Know What I Mean" single) and Blondie has a live version with Fripp playing on it that is KILLER (that's a b-side as well; I have it on their "Blonde and Beyond" compilation). 

Those are my two favorites, with Bowie next, then Gabriel.   Never heard the Wallflowers version or the John Mitchell version.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
Bowie's version is a timeless classic and untouchable.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »

Yup.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »

Yep.

Others have done very respectable versions of this song, but none have eclipsed the original. PG probably comes the closest.

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »
The Oasis version is excellent (it's the b-side of the "D'you Know What I Mean" single) and Blondie has a live version with Fripp playing on it that is KILLER (that's a b-side as well; I have it on their "Blonde and Beyond" compilation). 

Those are my two favorites, with Bowie next, then Gabriel.   Never heard the Wallflowers version or the John Mitchell version.

Just checked out the Oasis cover. That’s a good one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »
The Blondie one... I don’t hate it but she’s very much the female David Bowie so I don’t love it either. Fripp is going off on it though so that’s cool.

Offline HOF

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:38 PM »
So I spent way too long last night on YouTube trying to find a clip of the Def Leppard VH1 Storytellers episode where they went into Heroes briefly from the outro of Hysteria. I remember thinking it was really cool how they flowed together. Doesn’t appear to be on YouTube though.

Ah, here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nvpscasbos

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
I remember once upon a time, I suggested that I might like the KC cover better than the original, and the disappointment that VG expressed in me for that sticks with me to this day...

Anyway, which KC version are we referring to? The pseudo-single from the 2016 lineup?  Or as they played it on the TCoL tour?  Of those two, I prefer the latter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3fc6zjmVLY&ab_channel=KingCrimson-Topic

I think the Blondie & PG covers bring the most to the table, but in the end I'm voting for the original.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
I always think of this scene whenever I think of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FDSXSG5RM

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
I remember once upon a time, I suggested that I might like the KC cover better than the original, and the disappointment that VG expressed in me for that sticks with me to this day...

Anyway, which KC version are we referring to? The pseudo-single from the 2016 lineup?  Or as they played it on the TCoL tour?  Of those two, I prefer the latter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3fc6zjmVLY&ab_channel=KingCrimson-Topic

I think the Blondie & PG covers bring the most to the table, but in the end I'm voting for the original.

I had in mind the more recent single version with the current lineup. I wasn’t even aware of the 2000 version! They also do it on their Live in Chicago release from a few years back, and that’s actually the one I’m most familiar with.

Technically I should have been more specific, but I didn’t want to gum up the poll with a bunch of different versions (even the original has an album version and a shorter single version, and I imagine there are live versions by Bowie as well).

Offline dparrott

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
Glad someone mentioned the Oasis version.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline HOF

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:12 PM »
Neil Finn gave it a noble effort!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZ19PHzk8I

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 02:02:37 PM »
Never heard the Wallflowers version
Pretty impressive, considering it's one of the most played (overplayed?) songs I can think of among pop bands.

How did you escape it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
There should be a "none of the above" option here.

I don't think I've heard this song before today.  I listened to about half of the Bowie version, and the droning instrument (keyboard of some sort, I assume) was just awful.  I tried to listen to the Gabriel version.  It was different, but not in a good way.  Then I tried the Wallflowers.  It was the best of the three, but I still wouldn't call it good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »

I don't think I've heard this song before today.  I listened to about half of the Bowie version, and the droning instrument (keyboard of some sort, I assume) was just awful.  I tried to listen to the Gabriel version.  It was different, but not in a good way.  Then I tried the Wallflowers.  It was the best of the three, but I still wouldn't call it good.

Did you try the King Crimson version?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »

I think the "droning instrument" you heard is Robert Fripp's sustained guitar lead.

-Marc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 06:14:41 PM »
I quite like the OASIS ( Noel On Vocals ) Cover ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtpxzQ-KxI

I've never liked Bowie's vocals.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:09 AM »

You could try the John Mitchel version. It's more like the Gabriel version but better.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »

Did you try the King Crimson version?

Three strikes and it's out.  Also, I've never thought much of KC, so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »

You could try the John Mitchel version. It's more like the Gabriel version but better.

Cannot agree with this more. I like the PG version well enough, but John Mitchell just knocks it out of the park. Definitely my go-to version of the song.

I did listen to the Wallflowers version last night, for some Godzilla music video, and it was OK. Definitely a product of its time, though I might like it less than the Bowie and KC versions.

-Marc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
I thought I had heard Bowie's version, but when I checked it out, I felt like I had never heard it before. And now, 4 minutes later, I wish that was the case.

Never heard the Wallflowers version
Pretty impressive, considering it's one of the most played (overplayed?) songs I can think of among pop bands.

How did you escape it?

No kidding!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'