Author Topic: Your favorite band/artist whom you wish you followed since their inception  (Read 1621 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Your favorite band/artist whom you wish you followed since their inception
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »
Very easy answer for me. IQ without hesitation. How these guys went under my radar for 30 years is inexcusable and criminal.

I will always have Cool Chris to thank for that. He insisted I find Frequency and it was love at first listen. But even then, only having heard one album I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the price tag for Road of Bones. But then my friend Sean from Odd Logic said it was his album of the year, so I bought it and loved it. Then I decided to start from the beginning and get Tales from the Lush Attic...which took some getting used to, but then I fell in love with that too. After that I pretty much went all in. I now own every album, love nearly every single note (the exception being a couple of the poppier songs from Nomzamo) and they have shot into my all time top 5 bands.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:50 PM »
Someday I’ll have to give IQ another shot. I’ve tried before and couldn’t get past the singer’s voice (and usually I’m pretty accepting of unusual voices). I suppose it’s possible they have had more than one?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 11:26:59 PM »
Someday I’ll have to give IQ another shot. I’ve tried before and couldn’t get past the singer’s voice (and usually I’m pretty accepting of unusual voices). I suppose it’s possible they have had more than one?

They had a different singer for the poppier sounding 3rd and 4th albums (Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably respectively) but other than that it’s always been the same guy. However, I will say that it sounds to me like he took vocal lessons between his departure after album two (The Wake) and his return on album five (Ever...my favorite). But he’s started to become even richer on his low range in his old age IMO.  Check out his opening on the title track from Frequency. I think his voice is absolutely butter on this. Goosebumps

https://youtu.be/gNA-6JqKsVQ

The vocals start at 2:10 after a beautiful intro.

Online HOF

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 09:25:21 AM »

They had a different singer for the poppier sounding 3rd and 4th albums (Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably respectively) but other than that it’s always been the same guy. However, I will say that it sounds to me like he took vocal lessons between his departure after album two (The Wake) and his return on album five (Ever...my favorite). But he’s started to become even richer on his low range in his old age IMO.  Check out his opening on the title track from Frequency. I think his voice is absolutely butter on this. Goosebumps

https://youtu.be/gNA-6JqKsVQ

The vocals start at 2:10 after a beautiful intro.

Ever was the one I tried to get into. I liked the music well enough, and Martin Orford has done some other stuff I like (Jadis, The Old Road), so I don’t see why I shouldn’t like IQ. The voice on Frequency isn’t so bad. I’ll check that album out sometime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 10:17:27 AM »
Very easy answer for me. IQ without hesitation. How these guys went under my radar for 30 years is inexcusable and criminal.

I will always have Cool Chris to thank for that.

Wasn't me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:47 PM »

Wasn't me.

I thought you were the one I ran into at the Transatlantic show on Super Bowl night?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
I became a fan of THERAPY? in 1993 around the release of SCREAMAGER and latterly the Troublegum album in 1994.

Been a fan ever since and they are currently writing album number 16.

Troublegum was their second major label album and 4th overall after their debut and two indie mini-albums.

I was a fan of OASIS from Supersonic until they split and I saw them live twice.

Been a fan of GREEN DAY since Dookie and was a fan of the band MANSUN whom I loved from their debut single until they split.

I'd love to have been a fan of Metallica since 1981 - but i would have been 2 years old in 81  ;D

Offline dparrott

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »

I was a fan of OASIS from Supersonic until they split and I saw them live twice.

Been a fan of GREEN DAY since Dookie and was a fan of the band MANSUN whom I loved from their debut single until they split.

Same with me, except only saw Oasis live once with the Black Crowes and I was a fan of Mansun since the first album, not single.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »

Wasn't me.

I thought you were the one I ran into at the Transatlantic show on Super Bowl night?

No, sorry, we've never met (despite being locals)  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
Ok....I even thought you would confirmed it over in the IQ thread when I first started getting into them. But I obviously have you mixed up with somebody else who’s hanging around here somewhere.

EDIT - it was Chris Hinton. Another Chris....thus the confusion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:32:12 PM by jammindude »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
Dada. When their debut,  Puzzle came out I was hooked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 07:15:15 AM »

Same with me, except only saw Oasis live once with the Black Crowes and I was a fan of Mansun since the first album, not single.

I saw Noel solo, and Liam solo, but never Oasis.   The WEEK I moved into my house in Philly, they played in Camdem - I could see the venue from the roof of my house, it was so close - and didn't go.  Kick myself to this day. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
In this case I'm happy I was never a fan of Oasis, because they split up literally before the italian date in Milan. If not before that, the italian concert was very nigh anyway. I can only imagine what it must have been like for people actually wanting to go to count the days for a concert, and then read that Liam and Noel had another fight and broke up the band over it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!