Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72551 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1470 on: July 18, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
I don't think it's that much of a gamble to expose Price. That's a declining asset with a cap hit that would cripple an expansion team.  There's no way they'll take him above any number of other goalies that cost a fraction. And even if Seattle fucks this up and does take Price, i think Montreal would be totally fine with clearing that boat anchor contract (not to mention being off the hook for that signing bonus).

I think a team would go with the 8-1 route if they feel the need to keep their top 4 D for some reason. I can't think of a team in that case though. Chicago in 2010 would be a situation where you might want to keep your D (Seabrook, Keith, Leddy, Hjalmarsson). Then again, they traded away Leddy and Hjalmarsson shortly after, so what the fuck do i know

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1471 on: July 18, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
Heiskanen cashed in.  I think $8.5M x 8 years will be a good deal for the Stars.  That kid is gonna be a stud.

It is?

I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, he'll only be 29 when it expires so they do have him in his prime.

Charlie McAvoy is smiling somewhere. No way the Bruins give him anything close to that.

Very disappointed at the lack of list leaks last night.
I'm in the same camp on the Heiskanen contact. When i first read the headline, my reaction was who the hell is this kid earning 8M per season. That's Norris candidate money. If Heiskanen is worth 8+ then the Oilers will need to shell out well over 10M per season to keep Darnell Nurse

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1472 on: July 18, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
Vegas is exempted from the expansion draft.  They don't need to expose anyone.

This is such a load of bullshit.  The Vegas expansion draft was designed to allow them to become immediately competitive (and they were), so there is ZERO reason to exempt them now.

I'm not surprised at all about the players listed except for one guy.  I'm surprised if they decide to protect Brown.  Mid-30s, one year left at $5.9M, best days clearly behind him (although he can still be very useful in certain situations and has played much better in the back half of his contract).  He wasn't even protected in the Vegas draft (Kings went 4-4-1), but then again, his last three years prior to the Vegas draft was not very good (I'm sure some people thought at the time that contract was going to be bought out at some point in time, but the Kings will just let it ride to the end at this point).

Somehow, prior to Carey Price being exposed, apparently hockey Twitter was shocked that Quick was exposed.  Yeah, apparently, the Kings should have protect their mid-30s goalie and let the mid-20s up-and-coming get exposed and Seattle picks him.  Right.  So whose their next starter after Quick is done with the contract in two years???  Answer that question, you morons (not you guys here, you are all awesome, just the Twitter morons).

Yeah...protecting Peterson over Quick was a no-brainer, and anyone expressing shock about that obviously had no clue what he/she was talking about.  Protecting Brown is a surprise, and I wonder if the Kings and Seattle have worked out some sort of deal behind the scenes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1473 on: July 18, 2021, 02:31:41 PM »
I mean the owners are ok with Vegas being exempt since Vegas don’t get a slice of the expansion fee.  All very stupid for the sake of money, but here we are.

The Kings should not make a deal at all with Seattle, unless they give the Kings a roster player of need in exchange for x, y, z.  I look at the exposed list and I’m like, “all right, pick whoever and good luck to you.  Probably win a fair amount of games against the Kings regardless of who you pick.”
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:52:45 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1474 on: July 18, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
Leafs went the 8-1 route, choosing to protect Holl over Kerfoot.  I think they're hoping Seattle will take Kerfoot.  Even though he's on a pretty good contract ($3.5M AAV), the Leafs need every dollar they can get.  Considering Holl is one of their shut-down D-men, and they had a very good year defensively, I can understand why they did that.  I don't think there's any chance of losing Simmonds or Spezza (the latter has said he'll retire before he reports anywhere else), so it's an understandable choice.

And yeah, I keep forgetting the Knights are exempt.  That is a pant-load of BS though.  It made sense with the 2000 draft for Atlanta/Nashville to be exempt, as they were only 1 and 2 years old respectively.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1475 on: July 18, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
Seems Price's wife is from Washington.

Pierre Lebrun is reporting that the Kracken are seriously thinking about taking Price which means..
1. they want him, or
2. they're driving up the price for Montreal to keep him
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1476 on: July 18, 2021, 06:39:20 PM »
Here's an interesting wrench regarding Carey Price.  Apparently, he may need surgery and could be out for a good portion of the season.  Price and Weber takes up a combined $18M of cap space and the Habs depending on the state of when those guys are healthy (if they are healthy at all to play a game in the regular season) could spend that much trying to fill the void.  This is why we have a LTIR system and teams could choose to exercise it to the max if it suits them.  Oh well.  Tampa did it.  Montreal could do the same (and probably can make it look like it's a play to get Seattle to not take Price).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: July 19, 2021, 02:06:22 PM »
I just skimmed through the lists finally.  Preds, Leafs and Bolts were the only ones to protect 8 skaters, and Nashville protected 5 defencemen  :omg:  The Leafs had so many of their starting forwards as UFAs, I can understand it (as I mentioned above).  Tampa basically knows they're going to lose one of their better forwards (amongst Palat, Killorn, Johnson and Gourde), and clearly figured that saw Cernak as a harder to replace - and I think that too is a smart move.  They are going to HAVE to lose one or two (or three??) of those four forwards regardless.  The can probably still keep Cernak - a big / tough / gritty blueliner.

The Nashville move surprises me.  They clearly don't have a lot of confidence in their existing frontline.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1478 on: July 19, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
Flames leave Giordano exposed? Is he a UFA?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1479 on: July 19, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
He still has 1 year left, and a no trade clause which he must have waived. That's a head scratcher

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: July 19, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
Flames need to revamp. They also need his cap space to do that, and probably weren’t going to extend or re-sign him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1481 on: July 20, 2021, 02:58:11 PM »
Whatever the Kraken are doing is airtight. Following the TSN guys' twitters and it's silence.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1482 on: July 20, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
I saw a retweet somewhere that it was leaked that something was being filmed from a fish market at Pike Place Market (which I actually spent a little bit of time walking around that area when I was in Seattle before the world shut down last year.  it's an all right place.)  I think it was leaked of someone chucking a fish that had a piece of paper attached to it and the guy that caught it, read the paper, and announced that Seattle's pick from the Leafs was going to be Kerfoot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: July 20, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
You beat me by 10 minutes.  jingle.son found this earlier.  Ooof.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehockeynews/status/1417507862247612420

Apparently the dude tried to negotiate a jersey to not post the video, but the Kraken didn't respond.

No biggie... that was the name pretty much everyone was expecting for the past few months.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1484 on: July 20, 2021, 05:05:56 PM »
Wow! Weeksie!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1485 on: July 21, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
Flames need to revamp. They also need his cap space to do that, and probably weren’t going to extend or re-sign him.

Pierre Lebrun is that the Kraken grabbed Giordano, and passed on Price. I wonder if there was a side deal they made with the Habs to not take him.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1486 on: July 21, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »

Pierre Lebrun is that the Kraken grabbed Giordano, and passed on Price. I wonder if there was a side deal they made with the Habs to not take him.
Apparently they signed Adam Larsson, too, so that would give them a solid 2nd pair if Giordano's legs can keep up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: July 21, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
I still think taking Price would be stupid - $10.5 for the next 5 years, when there are just as capable and better long-term (and younger) options out there.  Think about it this way, if the Leafs hadn't choked away that 3-1 lead, would this even be a conversation?  Too many people are still in the afterglow of the playoff run.  This is a one-time event ... I don't see that being his consistent level of play for the next 5 years.

Larsen and Giordano give them a solid 1-2 on the blueline.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1488 on: July 21, 2021, 12:10:19 PM »
Per SportingNews.com, here's what's being reported at the moment:

Anaheim Ducks - Haydn Fleury - D
Arizona Coyotes - Tyler Pitlick - RW
Boston Bruins - Jeremy Lauzon - D
Buffalo Sabres - Will Borgen - D
Calgary Flames - Mark Giordano - D
Carolina Hurricanes - Morgan Geekie - C/W
Chicago Blackhawks - ??
Colorado Avalanche - Joonas Donskoi - RW
Columbus Blue Jackets - Gavin Bayreuther - D
Dallas Stars - Jamie Oleksiak - D
Detroit Red Wings - ??
Edmonton Oilers - Adam Larsson - D
Florida Panthers - Chris Driedger - G
Los Angeles Kings - Kurtis MacDermid - D
Minnesota Wild - Carson Soucy - D
Montreal Canadiens - Cale Fleury - D
Nashville Predators - Calle Jarnkrok - C/W
New Jersey Devils - Nathan Bastian - RW
New York Islanders - Jordan Eberle - RW
New York Rangers - Colin Blackwell - C/W
Ottawa Senators - Joey Daccord - G
Philadelphia Flyers - Carsen Twarynski - LW
Pittsburgh Penguins - Brandon Tanev - LW
San Jose Sharks    - Alexander True - C
St. Louis Blues - Vince Dunn - D
Tampa Bay Lightning - Yanni Gourde - C
Toronto Maple Leafs - Jared McCann - C/W
Vancouver Canucks - Kole Lind - RW
Washington Capitals - Vitek Vanecek  - G
Winnipeg Jets - Mason Appleton - RW
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1489 on: July 21, 2021, 12:25:27 PM »
Huh.  Kurtis MacDermid.  All right.  There was like 3-4 other names from the Kings I thought Seattle would pick thinking that they could thrive a lot better in Seattle than in LA.  Kurtis MacDermid does not seem like one of them.  However, if he somehow becomes a very effective player with the Kraken, well, I can't say I wouldn't see that coming given the Kings' luck at times.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: July 21, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
Shall be interesting to see how accurate this is.  Wonder if they signed Driedger?  They're putting a lot of faith in him to be the #1 guy (unless there is another plan).  Quite surprised they didn't take a goalie with some more experience - all three of those netminders are 3 (or more) down the depth chart on their current teams.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1491 on: July 21, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
Huh.  Kurtis MacDermid.  All right.  There was like 3-4 other names from the Kings I thought Seattle would pick thinking that they could thrive a lot better in Seattle than in LA.  Kurtis MacDermid does not seem like one of them.  However, if he somehow becomes a very effective player with the Kraken, well, I can't say I wouldn't see that coming given the Kings' luck at times.

I figured they would target Austin Wagner but will be happy if, in fact, they take MacDermid.

BTW, the source for the MacDermid pick is Frank Seravalli.  Never heard of him, so I don't know the extent to which he's a good source.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: July 21, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
I'd say he's a top 5 insider.  The Big 5 insiders (Cdn) would be him, Lebrun, Friedman, and Dreger, and Johnston.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1493 on: July 21, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »
Man, I find it hilarious that Kenny Holland traded for Duncan Keith and left Adam Larsson exposed.  Again, glad he's no longer Detroit's problem!!  Speaking of the Wings, I love the fact that the Red Wings are the only team that hasn't leaked.  Yzerman is a vault.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1494 on: July 21, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »
Shall be interesting to see how accurate this is.  Wonder if they signed Driedger?  They're putting a lot of faith in him to be the #1 guy (unless there is another plan).  Quite surprised they didn't take a goalie with some more experience - all three of those netminders are 3 (or more) down the depth chart on their current teams.

Without looking it up, I thought Vanecek played quite a bit this year.

Man, I find it hilarious that Kenny Holland traded for Duncan Keith and left Adam Larsson exposed.  Again, glad he's no longer Detroit's problem!!  Speaking of the Wings, I love the fact that the Red Wings are the only team that hasn't leaked.  Yzerman is a vault.

But he would've had to have signed Larsson first, right? I suppose all teams took that chance with their UFA's. Maybe talks had broken down between them?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1495 on: July 21, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
Larsson was a pending UFA, so it wouldn't make sense to sign and protect him. It was clearly a gamble that Larsson wanted to stay in Edmonton, but kudos to Seattle for making the most of their advanced window to pitch woo at UFA's. On the bright side, most folks in town thought it was going to be an easy pick for Seattle to take Tyler Benson. He's a pretty high potential prospect on the cusp of being an NHL regular.

The Keith trade is still fucking stupid though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: July 21, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
Larsson being left exposed was a risk for sure, same with Oleksiak I guess (though, to protect him, they would've had to go the 8 skater route).

Without looking it up, I thought Vanecek played quite a bit this year.

I did just look it up, and yeah... I guess he was a pretty admirable #2 guy backfilling for Samsonov's injuries.

Keith trade is stupid on all kinds of levels.  Meet the new boss... same as the old boss

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1497 on: July 21, 2021, 09:29:07 PM »
Man….that roster is rough. I’m assuming Francis is going to try and flip some of those D men? Seems like a lot 

I know people said the Knights roster was rough and they proved them wrong but the Kraken roster is pretty tame. IMO not one player in there you can get real excited about? Maybe that’s just me?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: July 22, 2021, 04:55:31 AM »
Man….that roster is rough. I’m assuming Francis is going to try and flip some of those D men? Seems like a lot 

I know people said the Knights roster was rough and they proved them wrong but the Kraken roster is pretty tame. IMO not one player in there you can get real excited about? Maybe that’s just me?

I like their D - Giordano, Dunn, Oleksiak and Larsson are a solid Top 4.  But yeah, the forwards are pretty weak if Gourde, Eberle and Donskoi* is your #1 line.

With their cap only JUST over the minimum (I think I saw they are at $49.6M ... with 7 RFAs), I can't help but think they're going to go after a few UFAs.  Also, I've heard a rumour that Eichel might be a target.

* Kemp's pronunciation was the best part of the whole draft.  Also, now we know where Kemp's been all these years - keeping Barkley company at the buffet line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1499 on: July 22, 2021, 06:21:31 AM »
I was fine with the Blues losing Dunn.  Seemed like he was one of those offensive defensemen who rarely scored, and if you are going to be that much of a defensive liability on the back end, you had better be scoring some goals, and he just wasn't coming through in that regard.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1500 on: July 22, 2021, 06:57:14 AM »

A lot of people (read: those I have bothered to research) feel pretty positively towards how Yzerman is setting Detroit up for the coming years. He did an excellent job in Tampa and has always had a tremendous hockey sense, so I think he has a solid blueprint and strategy that he is implementing. It's really good to see him putting his signature on the team, apart from the simple joy of him being "where he belongs." It'll continue to be a rough several years, record-wise, but I think the team will grow.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1501 on: July 22, 2021, 07:33:27 AM »

A lot of people (read: those I have bothered to research) feel pretty positively towards how Yzerman is setting Detroit up for the coming years. He did an excellent job in Tampa and has always had a tremendous hockey sense, so I think he has a solid blueprint and strategy that he is implementing. It's really good to see him putting his signature on the team, apart from the simple joy of him being "where he belongs." It'll continue to be a rough several years, record-wise, but I think the team will grow.

What's interesting to me is that I don't think he's simply duplicating what worked for him in Tampa.  When he joined Tampa, they already had Stamkos and Hedman, which gave him the ability to fill in the rest of the roster around those two cornerstone pieces.  It also helps that he turned the first round pick he got from the Wings in the Kyle Quincey trade into Andrei Vasilevsky!  The Moritz Seider pick was a head scratcher when he made it, but he looks like a genius now.  I'm very excited to see who he takes with their picks this year.  I have the feeling, with so many of the Wings prospects playing in Europe this past season, that the Wings draft will be Euro heavy, both of European born skaters and North American kids who played overseas this year.  Then again, Yzerman is a vault when it comes to giving away information, so who knows?  I trust in the Yzer-Plan.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1502 on: July 22, 2021, 09:34:56 AM »
I like their D - Giordano, Dunn, Oleksiak and Larsson are a solid Top 4.  But yeah, the forwards are pretty weak if Gourde, Eberle and Donskoi* is your #1 line.

With their cap only JUST over the minimum (I think I saw they are at $49.6M ... with 7 RFAs), I can't help but think they're going to go after a few UFAs.  Also, I've heard a rumour that Eichel might be a target.

They will have a pretty decent top four D corps....that's for sure. And good point about the Cap space. I would have thought that they'd try to make a splash or some sort of exciting grab on the first day to get fans pumped up. Maybe Francis has a plan and didn't/doesn't care about the spectacle. I have to think some trades/signings are coming in the next week or two.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1503 on: July 22, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1504 on: July 23, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
Rangers trade Buchnevich, because life has lost all meaning for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask