Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72981 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1435 on: July 12, 2021, 04:25:03 PM »
Considering that the NHL has exactly zero personality, i have no issue whatsoever with the Kucherov presser. Listening to an intermission interview with an NHL player is like nails on a chalkboard

So I guess you are blocking that Duncan Keith trade to the Oilers out of your mind for the time being?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1436 on: July 12, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
Considering that the NHL has exactly zero personality, i have no issue whatsoever with the Kucherov presser. Listening to an intermission interview with an NHL player is like nails on a chalkboard

So I guess you are blocking that Duncan Keith trade to the Oilers out of your mind for the time being?

We don't talk about that around here.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1437 on: July 12, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »
It's being received about as well as the Lucic signing did.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1438 on: July 12, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
Or Hall for Larsen?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1439 on: July 12, 2021, 05:49:56 PM »
But...but...but...Duncan Keith is one of the 100 greatest players in the history of the NHL!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1440 on: July 12, 2021, 06:19:15 PM »
We don't talk about the Chiarelli years. Just more darkness there.

I don't actually mind loading Jones ( he's got some considerable off-ice baggage and an issue with the bottle). But Jones, and a pick, and full salary for a well over-ripe player? Ken Holland must have been high when he came up with this idea. I sure hope the reports are wrong, and Chicago is actually retaining half the salary

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1441 on: July 12, 2021, 06:44:48 PM »
^^ You also get a guy from the Blackhawks AHL roster as well (whose stats I'm seeing and yeah.......)  That's something, right......  That trade would make a little more sense (it would be somewhat similar to Carter being sent to Penguins with Kings retaining half salary) if Chicago was retaining half salary.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: July 12, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
We don't talk about the Chiarelli years. Just more darkness there.

I don't actually mind loading Jones ( he's got some considerable off-ice baggage and an issue with the bottle). But Jones, and a pick, and full salary for a well over-ripe player? Ken Holland must have been high when he came up with this idea. I sure hope the reports are wrong, and Chicago is actually retaining half the salary

But teams can only retain a max of 25% of AAV.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1443 on: July 12, 2021, 07:20:42 PM »
^^ I thought the max was 50%.  Otherwise, this number below that the Kings are getting a hit on would be around $1.3M instead of $2.6M if what you said was true.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: July 12, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
You’re right. It’s 50% of remaining AAV. I got mixed up as I was thinking about the 3-way trades that have happened recently.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1445 on: July 13, 2021, 08:11:57 AM »
Pekka Rinne Retires (Nashville goalie)

One of my favorite goalies to play the game. Sad to see him go and being one of the best, but not being able to hoist a Stanley Cup.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/pekka-rinne-nhl-hockey-nashville-predators-retirement-annoucement?fbclid=IwAR1xqG42-hb4SEqjkxb1KNign1S3gAjuaer9GN5lrhx0glc0iF110-9aqTg

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: July 13, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »
Damn... I thought he might transition into a tandem role somewhere.  Seems that's necessary to give the primary goalie enough rest thru the season, so they are fresh for playoffs.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1447 on: July 13, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »
Damn... I thought he might transition into a tandem role somewhere.  Seems that's necessary to give the primary goalie enough rest thru the season, so they are fresh for playoffs.

Hasn’t he been dealing with nagging injuries though the past couple seasons? Maybe he just figured it wasn’t worth the physical sacrifice?

When he was at top form he was a wall.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1448 on: July 13, 2021, 10:19:05 AM »
Looks like a normal season starting in October, usual divisions, 82 games, with protocols for both vaccinated and unvaccinated players. Still no agreement regarding the Olympics, so two versions of the schedule were briefed to GMs, one with and one without a break.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1449 on: July 13, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »

Hasn’t he been dealing with nagging injuries though the past couple seasons? Maybe he just figured it wasn’t worth the physical sacrifice?

When he was at top form he was a wall.
Could be that he's planning to play his twilight years back in Finland. And, you're absolutely correct: Rinne in top form was among the best for a decade

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1450 on: July 13, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
So I was watching a Hockey Guy Youtube video when he's going over the news around the league for the day and I noted this following information.  Holy f***,  Suter and Parise from the Wild both got bought out?  I know those long 13 year contracts was going to age horribly, but man, I didn't think the organization was going to resort to buying both out.  One maybe, and from what I heard Parise was a bit in the doghouse, but both?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:16:53 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: July 13, 2021, 11:00:48 AM »
Wonder what that does for their cap space?  No need.  Damn! Capfriendly is FAST!

Holy fuck this is going to hurt them - not as much this year, but $12M for '22/'23 and $14m for 2 years after that!?!?!   :omg: :omg:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1452 on: July 13, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »
Wonder what that does for their cap space?  No need.  Damn! Capfriendly is FAST!

Holy fuck this is going to hurt them - not as much this year, but $12M for '22/'23 and $14m for 2 years after that!?!?!   :omg: :omg:
$14M dead space?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: July 13, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »

$14M dead space?

It would seem so - https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/wild

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1454 on: July 13, 2021, 02:47:31 PM »

We don't talk about that around here.

As a Wings fan, I’m glad Ken Holland is someone else’s problem now.  And to think, if he had waited, he could have gotten Suter for a fraction of the cost of Keith, and not given up any assets.  :facepalm:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1455 on: July 15, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
Avs trade Ryan Graves to New Jersey for a left winger prospect and a 2nd round pick. Likely an expansion draft induced trade...Cracken going to snatch up players like Vegas did a couple of years ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1456 on: July 17, 2021, 05:38:02 PM »
Blues exposing Taresenko? Interesting, but I guess not surprising.

Price waives NMC. Wow!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:47:17 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1457 on: July 17, 2021, 07:25:05 PM »

My guess is they are getting bad offers for him, meaning they can do one of two things:

1) Trade Tarasenko for peanuts and then still have to expose a player (Dunn or Barbashev?), meaning they'd lose two players.

2) Expose Tarasenko and lose him to Seattle for nothing in return, but not lose anyone else in the draft, meaning they'd lose just Tarasenko.

My guess is that they value the player they do not want to expose instead of Tarasenko more than whatever teams are offering for Tarasenko.

By all accounts, the relationship between Tarasenko and the Blues is irreparable, so that is a factor as well.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1458 on: July 17, 2021, 07:26:35 PM »
Plus, they rid themselves of Tarasenko's salary completely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1459 on: July 17, 2021, 07:30:52 PM »
I believe that is correct.  Plus, the odds of Tarasenko ever being the player again that he was prior to the shoulder surgeries are pretty low, so they are gambling as well that he really is done as far as playing at an all-star level on a consistent basis.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1460 on: July 17, 2021, 08:19:43 PM »

My guess is they are getting bad offers for him, meaning they can do one of two things:

1) Trade Tarasenko for peanuts and then still have to expose a player (Dunn or Barbashev?), meaning they'd lose two players.

2) Expose Tarasenko and lose him to Seattle for nothing in return, but not lose anyone else in the draft, meaning they'd lose just Tarasenko.

My guess is that they value the player they do not want to expose instead of Tarasenko more than whatever teams are offering for Tarasenko.

By all accounts, the relationship between Tarasenko and the Blues is irreparable, so that is a factor as well.   

Armstrong has received several offers to take Tarasenko and his salary……but like you said Kev the Blues would have gotten nothing in return. I think Armstrong has to come to the realization that at this point draft pics are what you’re getting. Maybe a low tier player.

And Tarasenko has to realize he just isn’t all that valuable anymore.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: July 18, 2021, 06:16:26 AM »
Ryan Ellis for Nolan Patrick, and then Patrick to Vegas for Cody Glass. I think the Flyers got a good deal there!

It's really fascinating to see these 'expansion' moves that wouldn't have been done otherwise.

I'm not sure the logic behind the Goodrow trade to the Rangers.  Why trade for a pending UFA?  Unless you plan/want to offer an 8-year deal ... but to a 28-year old 3rd liner?

Heiskanen cashed in.  I think $8.5M x 8 years will be a good deal for the Stars.  That kid is gonna be a stud.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1462 on: July 18, 2021, 06:55:23 AM »
Heiskanen cashed in.  I think $8.5M x 8 years will be a good deal for the Stars.  That kid is gonna be a stud.

It is?

I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, he'll only be 29 when it expires so they do have him in his prime.

Charlie McAvoy is smiling somewhere. No way the Bruins give him anything close to that.

Very disappointed at the lack of list leaks last night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1463 on: July 18, 2021, 07:29:49 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out a scenario where a team protects 8-1 as opposed to 7-3-1.

Maybe if you're looking to expose some salary, or if you're more afraid of losing your 8th best forward than your 3rd best D?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: July 18, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out a scenario where a team protects 8-1 as opposed to 7-3-1.

Maybe if you're looking to expose some salary, or if you're more afraid of losing your 8th best forward than your 3rd best D?

Nashville might've been in that spot, but not now with the trade of Ellis.  Perhaps there are teams that don't have enough forwards to expose (that meet the required criteria)?

I'm really stunned at the Price move.  Both Mtl and Price are playing chicken with Seattle - jingle.son is 100% convinced they'll take him.  I still think they'll take Holtby or Lehner, and my other bet would be Georgiev or whoever Columbus exposes.  I personally think Murray is over-rated.  Ironic now that he's exposed, and Flower (likely) is protected.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1465 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »

Nashville might've been in that spot, but not now with the trade of Ellis.  Perhaps there are teams that don't have enough forwards to expose (that meet the required criteria)?

I'm really stunned at the Price move.  Both Mtl and Price are playing chicken with Seattle - jingle.son is 100% convinced they'll take him.  I still think they'll take Holtby or Lehner, and my other bet would be Georgiev or whoever Columbus exposes.  I personally think Murray is over-rated.  Ironic now that he's exposed, and Flower (likely) is protected.

I've been following the twitters (yeah you read that right, bitches) of the TSN guys since last night. Freidman thinks the Leafs went 8-1.
Chris Johnson said that Price is due am $11m bonus in September. Definitely a game of chicken. Why would the Habs even take the chance just to protect Jake Allen? I hope they get burned.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1466 on: July 18, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »

Vegas is exempted from the expansion draft.  They don't need to expose anyone.

From the looks of Lisa Dillman of the Athletic and various insiders regarding the Kings, this looks like this is their protected list.

Fwds - L. Andersson, Arvidsson, Brown, Iafallo, Kempe, Kopitar, Moore

Def - Doughty, Roy, Walker

Goalie - Petersen

https://twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/1416764772511490051

I'm not surprised at all about the players listed except for one guy.  I'm surprised if they decide to protect Brown.  Mid-30s, one year left at $5.9M, best days clearly behind him (although he can still be very useful in certain situations and has played much better in the back half of his contract).  He wasn't even protected in the Vegas draft (Kings went 4-4-1), but then again, his last three years prior to the Vegas draft was not very good (I'm sure some people thought at the time that contract was going to be bought out at some point in time, but the Kings will just let it ride to the end at this point).

Somehow, prior to Carey Price being exposed, apparently hockey Twitter was shocked that Quick was exposed.  Yeah, apparently, the Kings should have protect their mid-30s goalie and let the mid-20s up-and-coming get exposed and Seattle picks him.  Right.  So whose their next starter after Quick is done with the contract in two years???  Answer that question, you morons (not you guys here, you are all awesome, just the Twitter morons).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:06:21 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1467 on: July 18, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1468 on: July 18, 2021, 08:42:48 AM »
Cripes, I can't open that page.  I guess everyone is clicking on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1469 on: July 18, 2021, 08:53:29 AM »
It opened for me. It just took a bit.