Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73534 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1225 on: June 11, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
Yeah jingle, Marner getting paid center money as a winger is ridiculous.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1226 on: June 11, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Yeah jingle, Marner getting paid center money as a winger is ridiculous.

I'm not so stuffed about that, but tying up almost 1/2 the cap in four guys - ALL AT FORWARD - is what's killing them, and will continue to kill them. With only $40M for the remaining 19 players, the only thing they can afford for the rest of the forwards is a couple of decent $3M-$4M guys, and then a bunch of league-minimum contracts - which means one of three things - A) young kids still on ELCs, and hoping they can step up; B) old fuck's that have already made their money, and hope they can keep up; C) players that should not be NHL starters.  They'll never be able to afford a Top 15 / stud defenceman, and have to hope they can fill a goaltending tandem for under $5M combined.

I said it when it happened, there was no need to sign Tavares with the talent they already had in Matthews/Marner/Nylander.  JT's best years are behind him, and the Leafs are paying him like he's still got a few 100-point and/or 50-goal seasons in him.  Spoiler alert - he doesn't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1227 on: June 11, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
I said it when it happened, there was no need to sign Tavares with the talent they already had in Matthews/Marner/Nylander. JT's best years are behind him, and the Leafs are paying him like he's still got a few 100-point and/or 50-goal seasons in him.  Spoiler alert - he doesn't.

I thought the same thing when it happened.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: June 11, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »
Petro with the game winner as well. I'm enjoying the fact that he's playing incredibly well right now, I like it as a little F U to the Blues and particularly Armstrong...... I really wish there had been a way for him to remain a Blue and retire with them, but there was no way they could have pulled the trigger on that contract he wanted. He's 'worth' every penny right now and maybe for the next two....three years.....but man, that's a brutal contract past that point.

I totally get this, and I think last year I was on the "do not pay Petro that much money" bandwagon, but in hindsight it now feels like letting him go slammed their Stanley Cup window shut.  Gotta take advantage of chances to win it all when they are there, and they now seem light years away from being good enough to actually make a run any time soon and win it again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1229 on: June 12, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »
This post is in no way meant to needle Joe and Tim (honest!!), but two years ago today, the Blues won their first Stanley Cup!!! :coolio :coolio

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1230 on: June 12, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »
This post is in no way meant to needle Joe and Tim (honest!!), but two years ago today, the Blues won their first Stanley Cup!!! :coolio :coolio

Let’s be honest here, between the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, the sports gods have been pretty kind to Boston sports fans in the 21st century. Throw in three Cup Finals appearances with one win for the Bruins, and I don’t think there’s anything to complain about if you’re a fan of Boston sports.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1231 on: June 12, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »

Let’s be honest here, between the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, the sports gods have been pretty kind to Boston sports fans in the 21st century. Throw in three Cup Finals appearances with one win for the Bruins, and I don’t think there’s anything to complain about if you’re a fan of Boston sports.

True. but Joe and Tim are good guys, and I don't want them to think I am rubbing their noses in this since the Blues win came over the Bruins.  I am just celebrating the anniversary!  :metal :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1232 on: June 12, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »

:metal   What a fun couple months that was!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1233 on: June 12, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »

:metal   What a fun couple months that was!

Fun, stressful, yeah. :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1234 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:30 AM »
Well, found another Youtube video from Urinatingtree about more hockey history.  This one involving the Expansion Draft of the Senators in 1992 which is timely given the upcoming Seattle Draft.  Expansion rules back then were different and the price to pay to get a team was a hella lot smaller as well. $45 million compared to like the $500+ million that Vegas and Seattle paid for their teams.  On top of that, holy crap, did the Senators screw up how they drafted that day.  Apparently, they stored their notes on a early version laptop and did not charge the battery or found an outlet to charge it or had any hard copies of those notes.  As a result, they ended up picking players that were not eligible to be drafted to the Senators for various reasons and had to repick which involved the GM saying "Ottawa apologizes."  As a result, naturally, they had the worst season in the league, winning only 10 games and letting in almost an average of 5 goals a game. 

The Tampa Bay Lightning was also born that year along with the Senators and they weren't as craptastic (but still had the struggles of an expansion team back in the 90s).  It's funny on the paths that those two teams have despite being created at the same time.  The Bolts would have their two cups and in the hunt of a 3rd one now, while the Senators are nowhere near that hunt and had like two great years of deep playoff runs in history.

Heritage: The 1992 Ottawa Senators Expansion Draft
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:47:16 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1235 on: June 12, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »

Losing in the Stanley Cup Finals will make you appreciate every previous early round exit. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1236 on: June 14, 2021, 07:16:27 PM »
Watching tonight's game with my fiance and heard Pierre say something to the effect of: "DeBoer has so much experience in the playoffs".

I immediately said: "Yeah, but most of that experience is choking with the Sharks, peak DeBoer would be beating the Avs in 6 only to lose to the Canadiens in 5."
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1237 on: June 15, 2021, 05:24:11 AM »

I'm more hurt you don't like Lawrence Gowan.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1238 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:53 AM »
Who in the hell is Lawrence Gowen?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1239 on: June 15, 2021, 06:10:45 AM »
That man masquerading as Dennis DeYoung in the current incarnation known as Styx. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1240 on: June 15, 2021, 06:36:23 AM »
That man masquerading as Dennis DeYoung in the current incarnation known as Styx. :P

:lol

See!  Kev cuts to the bone.  LOLOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1241 on: June 18, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
Montreal Canadiens head coach tested positive for Covid-19,  wtf  :facepalm:

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-dominique-ducharme-covid-19-game-3-1.1656737

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1242 on: June 18, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »
What an absolutely horrible muff by the future HOF goalie!  Go Habs!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1243 on: June 18, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »
Fleury turning into Osgood in these playoffs, letting in some horrid goals.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1244 on: June 18, 2021, 09:20:14 PM »
Holy f***.  Fleury flubbed his end that led to the tying goal.  Then there was a no-call even though Corey Perry clearly got high-sticked and was clearly busted.  Then the Habs got the winning goal.  Jebus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1245 on: June 18, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »
Wait, the refs can look at an OT goal after the fact to see if a puck was knocked down by a high stick, but they couldn't look at the OT goal two years ago to see if the Sharks made an illegal hand pass in the offensive zone that led to the winning goal?  :lol :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: June 19, 2021, 04:44:56 AM »
Wait, the refs can look at an OT goal after the fact to see if a puck was knocked down by a high stick, but they couldn't look at the OT goal two years ago to see if the Sharks made an illegal hand pass in the offensive zone that led to the winning goal?  :lol :lol :lol

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1247 on: June 19, 2021, 09:11:17 PM »
Wow, what an incredible finish tonight.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1248 on: June 20, 2021, 08:04:58 PM »
I'm curious, my twitter and facebook bubble of french canadians are all screaming at the officials tonight(even though the Habs are leading 1-0 at the moment),  what's the american perspective?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1249 on: June 20, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
edit: double post

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1250 on: June 20, 2021, 08:07:23 PM »
I'm curious, my twitter and facebook bubble of french canadians are all screaming at the officials tonight(even though the Habs are leading 1-0 at the moment),  what's the american perspective?

That they're always screaming at the officials.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1251 on: June 20, 2021, 08:08:17 PM »
Looks like the refs are letting them play, but I know that Habs fans are out of their minds thinking there is a conspiracy to tilt the calls in favor of Vegas, but I think it's just a combination of incompetence (like missing that slash to the face in OT of the last game) and letting a lot go.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1252 on: June 20, 2021, 08:47:11 PM »
Despite what's going on with the refs and whatever, I'm thoroughly enjoying both series.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1254 on: June 21, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
Awards finalists are coming out now.  Vasilevskiy, Grubauer, and Fleury for the Vezina.  No surprise there.  I'd give it to Grubauer.

My predictions:
Hart - McDavid, Matthews, Rantanen
Norris - Fox, Makar, Hamilton
Adams - Quennville, Brind'Amour, Evason
Calder - Kaprizov, Robertson, Nedeljkovic
Selke - Eriksson Ek, Markus Foligno, O'Reilly

Nailed the Adams.  Not so much on the Calder or Selke.  We'll see about the other three.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: June 22, 2021, 04:56:19 AM »
Huh?  Those were the 3 Calder finalists, and I got 2/3 for the Norris (missed Headman over Hamilton).  Selke... I was way off.  I don't see that they've announced the Calder winner yet.

I hope that pounding that Tampa laid on the Isles last night doesn't come back to haunt them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2021, 09:38:02 AM »
Never mind...my bad.  I was looking at the wrong year for the Calder (and was only looking at the winner).  Calder winner hasn't been announced yet, so I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1257 on: June 23, 2021, 05:43:49 AM »
No clue why Vegas keeps swapping their goalies, but I can't help but wonder if that has affected the team's psyche.  They should not be losing to this Montreal team.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2021, 08:44:07 AM »
No clue why Vegas keeps swapping their goalies, but I can't help but wonder if that has affected the team's psyche.  They should not be losing to this Montreal team.

Said every Winnipeg and Toronto player, coach and fan.

As Babs would constantly say, will beats skill.

But yeah... why they went away from Lehner baffles me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
I would think that Vegas thought what happened in Game 3 with Fleury was a rare mental lapse and think after resting him for four days, he would be fine.  Although, if the guy that came in on Game 4 won and made solid saves, you would think they would ride that wave on Game 5.  Now they put themselves in this tough decision in an elimination game.