Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72555 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1190 on: June 09, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
Man, I don't want to root for Montreal to beat the Golden Knights if it comes to that, but I hate the Golden Knights more at the moment, so there we go.

I'm not sure which team I loathe more.  As a Canadian, I should be cheering for the Canadiens, but I really don't see that happening.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1191 on: June 09, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
why so much hate for the Canadiens? I live in Habs country so it’s sometimes hard to see how they are perceived elsewhere. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1192 on: June 09, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »
I can't speak for Chad but I'm a Bruins fan so I think you can understand that one.  LOL  Though this years team is not hateable like in the past.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1193 on: June 09, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »
why so much hate for the Canadiens? I live in Habs country so it’s sometimes hard to see how they are perceived elsewhere.
You're new to this thread, so I'll fill you in: jingle.boy=Leafs fan.

If you need more explanation than that, you're lying about where you live and your knowledge of NHL fandom in the region.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1194 on: June 09, 2021, 02:19:15 PM »
You're new to this thread, so I'll fill you in: jingle.boy=Leafs fan.

If you need more explanation than that, you're lying about where you live and your knowledge of NHL fandom in the region.

right, that makes sense , lol  :D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1195 on: June 09, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
As an Albertan, I don't really care if the Habs win or lose. Part of me doesn't want them to win just so we don't have to hear form Habs fans about how no other canadian  team can win except the Habs. Honestly though, I'd rather them win than the Flames, Leafs,  or Canucks, in that order.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1196 on: June 09, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »
As an Islander fan, during the lean years of the 2000s, I remember Habs fans scooping up dirt cheap discount Isles tickets and descending on the coliseum in busloads. At times, they actually outnumbered the isles fans in the building, cheering and serenading in French. It was galling to some of the die hards. In the end, I realized it was a great excuse for Canadians to make a road trip to NYC without having to pay for exorbitantly priced Rangers tix at corporate-dominated MSG.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: June 09, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
In the end, I realized it was a great excuse for Canadians to make a road trip to NYC without having to pay for exorbitantly priced Rangers tix at corporate-dominated MSG.

Or for Bostonians to do the same thing. That's why we went last year. For the price of four tickets at the Garden (the Boston one..), we were able to see them on Long Island, AND pay for a night at the Hampton Inn. Plus, spend a nice Sunday afternoon in the city..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: June 09, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »
That's why it's nice to have Sabres seasons tickets.  I'd never spend my own coin to go see a game at the Scotiabank Arena.  My company has a box there, so I did see 2 or 3 games a couple years back.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1199 on: June 09, 2021, 03:37:50 PM »
As you might expect, the Kings have always drawn a fair number of visiting fans.  It was particularly obnoxious in the 2000s when, for the most part, the Kings were awful.  At game 4 of the 2000 playoffs, some asshole Red Wings fan made a piss poor effort to chuck an octopus on the ice and it (or part of it) hit me instead.  Had I been able to figure out who did it, I'd have done some serious violence.  I despised the Wings for the next 10-15 years as a result.  Anyway...

In 2010, I went to a Kings v. Habs game.  We were in the lower bowl, and directly above us, in the upper bowl, was a large contingent of Habs fans.  This was not long after Canada had beaten the U.S. in the Gold Medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.  As a result, and instead of getting choruses of whatever Habs fans normally chant, we got, "SILver MEdal...SILver MEdal...SILver MEdal!"  Yeah...seriously.  I really wished I had had some way of communicating to these dumbasses that, at that time, the Kings actually had more Canadian players than did the Canadiens.  Oh well...

Nonetheless, I would have no problems with the Habs winning the Cup.

BY THE WAY...

How will they decide who gets the Clarence Campbell Bowl and who gets the Prince of Wales Trophy?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1200 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »
In the end, I realized it was a great excuse for Canadians to make a road trip to NYC without having to pay for exorbitantly priced Rangers tix at corporate-dominated MSG.

Or for Bostonians to do the same thing. That's why we went last year. For the price of four tickets at the Garden (the Boston one..), we were able to see them on Long Island, AND pay for a night at the Hampton Inn. Plus, spend a nice Sunday afternoon in the city..

Nice. Can’t beat that.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1201 on: June 09, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »

Bottom line is....you have to play the games and execute. Things happen in the game for both teams and it's how you respond that matters. And Vegas has responded in kind every since that weak penalty call on them that gave the AVs the PP and essentially the win in Game 2. It's been impressive.

Vegas looks like a scrappy team. They just keep fighting and fighting.  The Avs look like a fighter that doesn't know quite how to react when they get punched hard.  A bit of a frontrunner.  We'll see how they react tomorrow night when facing elimination.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1202 on: June 09, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
I know the Avs are capable of pushing to get a series to 7.  They did it in 2019 against the Sharks before losing the series and they were down 3-1 against the Stars last year (with an Avs roster that was pretty darn injured).  We'll see on how they respond against this legit Vegas team.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: June 09, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »

In 2010, I went to a Kings v. Habs game.  We were in the lower bowl, and directly above us, in the upper bowl, was a large contingent of Habs fans.  This was not long after Canada had beaten the U.S. in the Gold Medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.  As a result, and instead of getting choruses of whatever Habs fans normally chant, we got, "SILver MEdal...SILver MEdal...SILver MEdal!"  Yeah...seriously.  I really wished I had had some way of communicating to these dumbasses that, at that time, the Kings actually had more Canadian players than did the Canadiens.  Oh well...

It was absolutely savage when Jets fans did it specifically to Ryan Miller.  Ooof.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: June 09, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
Whelp. T minus 10 minutes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
Oof.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1206 on: June 09, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
Sorry, Joe and Tim, but as a hockey fan, I am marveling at this game.  That crowd is so wound up and loud, and it's a reminder of how great it is to have fans at the games again.  Boston crowd was the same way in the 3rd period the other night.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: June 09, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »
They are winning in every facet of this game. Just got to tip the hat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1208 on: June 09, 2021, 07:57:45 PM »
What can you say...Barry Trotz  :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: June 09, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »
No shots in 13 minutes for the B's. The Isles were smothering. 

Tip of the hat to them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: June 09, 2021, 08:08:56 PM »
That shift with about 2 and change left told the tale of that 3rd period. They played keep-away with the puck for a good 40 seconds. 

Islanders/Lightning should be great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1211 on: June 09, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »
GO Isles!!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1212 on: June 09, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »
Nice pics Tim!

The oldest arena in the NHL. Rock the Barn!!
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1213 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
It’s frightening to think what the Bruins might’ve looked like had they not passed on Matt Barzal... THREE STRAIGHT TIMES.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1214 on: June 09, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
It’s frightening to think what the Bruins might’ve looked like had they not passed on Matt Barzal... THREE STRAIGHT TIMES.

And Beauvillier!

The three pick AFTER the Bruins' three picks?
Matt Barzal
Kyle Connor
Thomas Chabot

Not to mention Joel Erikson Ek, Brock Boeser, or Travis Konecny.

They did get Brandon Carlo in the second round though and he was a good pick. Jeremy Lauzon too, who finally found regular playing time this season.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: June 10, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
Barry Trotz is probably without question the best coach of the last 5 years, maybe more.  THAT is how you defend a lead.  Now, can they do it against the $98M Tampa Bay Lightning.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1216 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »
Jebus, nicely done, Golden Knights.  I was rooting for that series to go to 7.  The travel for Montreal/Vegas is going to be harsh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1217 on: June 10, 2021, 09:56:00 PM »
Bye bye to Kroenke's team.  :tup :tup

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1218 on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:36 PM »
Let’s Go Vegas!!!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1219 on: June 10, 2021, 10:03:05 PM »

The semis will be Bruins/Avs and Leafs/Bolts.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: June 11, 2021, 05:02:20 AM »
That's why they play the games.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1221 on: June 11, 2021, 05:06:08 AM »

The semis will be Bruins/Avs and Leafs/Bolts.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Maxwell Smart FTW!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1222 on: June 11, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
Petro with the game winner as well. I'm enjoying the fact that he's playing incredibly well right now, I like it as a little F U to the Blues and particularly Armstrong...... I really wish there had been a way for him to remain a Blue and retire with them, but there was no way they could have pulled the trigger on that contract he wanted. He's 'worth' every penny right now and maybe for the next two....three years.....but man, that's a brutal contract past that point.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1223 on: June 11, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »
^^ Well, if Vegas wins the cup now, they don't really care about how bad Petro's contract will be 3-4 years later.  It's just a big price to pay to get to the top.  Winning cups can soften a lot of blows to bad contracts down the line or justify giving out big contracts (which turned out to be bad years later) to certain players after they win it (which is something cup-winning GMs probably should avoid, but it's hard to say).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:13:10 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: June 11, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
People have short memories.  If/when the team is hobbled because of this contract in its final two/three years, he and the management will surely take a beating.  It's not like he's the second coming of Nik Lidstrom.  That's the only way I see him and management not under a microscope in 3-4 years.

Chicago and LA sure aren't terribly happy with their 'bad' contracts (Toews/Kane/Keith; Kopitar/Doughty - sure they're all still top players and largely producing, but they've done squat in the playoffs since winning).  Leafs fans are already questioning their three massive contracts, AND THAT TEAM HASN'T WON JACK SHIT!!!