Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73107 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1155 on: June 04, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
And Ron Tugnut having a 73 save performance against the B's.

That was amazing. I remember watching that game on TV. They still replay it every now and then.

Yeah, that was a special performance.

As for things that scare me, I'm continually amazed that skate blades don't do more serious damage.  A 17-year old goalie for the Niagara Icedogs sliced an artery in his leg about a year and a half ago, and the pool of blood was almost the size of the crease.  He survived (thanks to a trainer squeezing the artery tight the entire ride to the hospital). 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1156 on: June 06, 2021, 06:23:05 PM »
edit: nevermind read the score wrong, lol I wasn't watching the game

anyway, go Habs

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1157 on: June 06, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »
Jebus, from being one loss away from getting a first-round exit to 6 straight wins in a row for the Habs and being 3-0 against the Jets.  Despite certain rough patches in the last half of the season, they certainly happy that now is the time for things to click.

On another note, is there any announcements on how the Canadian Gov't is going to handle travel of teams coming in and out of Canada?  The NHL sorta needs an answer pretty darn soon.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:57:34 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1158 on: June 06, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »
Didn't they just announce approval today?

I'm watching the Avs/Knights game and it's on the bottom crawl.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1159 on: June 06, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
Yeah, the Canadian gov is allowing an exemption for NHL travel.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: June 07, 2021, 04:44:08 AM »
Jebus, from being one loss away from getting a first-round exit to 6 straight wins in a row for the Habs and being 3-0 against the Jets.  Despite certain rough patches in the last half of the season, they certainly happy that now is the time for things to click.

Not just that, but 2 of those elimination games went to OT (I seem to recall the Leafs hitting a post in Game 6?).  Now they really do look like the 2nd coming of the '95 Devils.  Price with a .938 save percentage isn't hurting them either.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1161 on: June 07, 2021, 08:11:00 AM »
Montreal was the last Canadian team to win the Cup so it would make sense for them to be the team to break the curse. Do I want to see that happen, no, but it would be an interesting case of symmetry.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1162 on: June 07, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
Montreal was the last Canadian team to win the Cup so it would make sense for them to be the team to break the curse. Do I want to see that happen, no, but it would be an interesting case of symmetry.

SO many things would have to happen for ANY of the Canadian teams to win the cup this year. First one would be, the American teams don't show up......second would be a hot goaltender.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1163 on: June 07, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »

SO many things would have to happen for ANY of the Canadian teams to win the cup this year. First one would be, the American teams don't show up......second would be a hot goaltender.
So 1 of those 2 is already in place. Price is a beast right now. I still don't think they have the firepower to beat a Col, Bos, or TB, but it wouldn't surprise me either. If they can beat Toronto, they can probably beat any of the other eastern teams. Mind you, Toronto's top players didn't bother showing up, so maybe the Habs just got lucky on a hot goaltender.

I think the Avs are the team to beat these playoffs. They look like a complete squad. If it ends up being Vegas v. Montreal, I think the latter could pull the upset.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: June 07, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
I think the Avs are the team to beat these playoffs. They look like a complete squad. If it ends up being Vegas v. Montreal, I think the latter could pull the upset.

Not based on the last 7 periods of that series!  Vegas has bitch-slapped them since the end of Game 2.  Avs better get their heads out of their asses.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1165 on: June 07, 2021, 10:01:24 AM »

Not based on the last 7 periods of that series!  Vegas has bitch-slapped them since the end of Game 2.  Avs better get their heads out of their asses.
Minor setback. A speedbump, shall we say.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: June 07, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »

If not for that gift PP in OT the AVs could easily be down 2-1 instead of up 2-1. Vegas is no joke.

And I'm only teasing about a Canadian team being unable to win a cup this year. All it takes is the right group of guys buying in for one another and anything can happen. I 'think' the American teams remaining stack up better against the Canadian teams remaining....but, you have to play the games. Couple bounces, couple calls....hot goalie....someone gets hot and scores a bundle.....anything can happen.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1167 on: June 07, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »

If not for that gift PP in OT the AVs could easily be down 2-1 instead of up 2-1. Vegas is no joke.

And I'm only teasing about a Canadian team being unable to win a cup this year. All it takes is the right group of guys buying in for one another and anything can happen. I 'think' the American teams remaining stack up better against the Canadian teams remaining....but, you have to play the games. Couple bounces, couple calls....hot goalie....someone gets hot and scores a bundle.....anything can happen.
It's most likely the winner is an american team, not just because of the 3 to 1 advantage in numbers going into the next round. Honestly, had someone told me at the start of the season that Montreal would likely be in a conference final I'd have told them to pound sand....only in less kind terms.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: June 07, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
Yup... Montreal is proof of that.  They got dominated by the Leafs for 2 straight games, and their only victory after Game 4 was a close nail-biter, with the Leafs mentally down from losing Tavares.  The Leafs coasted in Game 5; the Habs got a massive emotional boost from having fans in attendance at long last; then the Leafs had the yips and Campbell let in his one-and-only bad goal.

They've gotten a bit of luck on their side - twice now getting an opponent's top-3 player off the ice for the bulk of the series, gel'd as a team to play suffocating defense, and have a hot goalie.  They can't count on all those things falling into place for four rounds.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: June 07, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »

I just realized that Vegas/AVs played last night....checked the highlights....... :omg:    I would say that momentum is definitely in favor of the Knights right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1170 on: June 07, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »
The refs are letting EVERYTHING go tonight! Holy crap!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1171 on: June 07, 2021, 06:23:32 PM »
B's dominating but down 2. A very frustrating game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1172 on: June 07, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »
Is the Tuukka Rask Era over in Boston?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: June 07, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
That 3rd period was nuts. The Bruins came at the Islanders for that entire 3rd period like a pack of wasps whose nest had been swatted.  I thought for sure they were going to tie it up.  That series is going 7.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1174 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:22 PM »
Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens for sneaking into the playoffs and taking care of business in the weakest division in hockey this year. Enjoy the sweep, and I’m sorry in advance for the beating either Colorado or Vegas is going to hand you.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: June 07, 2021, 09:12:59 PM »
They put their shit together, and took advantage of the tough breaks the Leafs and Jets had to deal with.  The latter two couldn’t find their game when they needed it, and the bottom of the lineup didn’t step up.

I’d hardly call the North the weakest Division tho. Each division had their share of shit-kicker teams. The Avs and Knights had the 3 Cali teams to beat up; Carolina and TB had Detroit and the Jackets; and let’s not forget the easy Ws everyone in the East had against Buffalo. Vancouver was in pretty good shape until the whole team was ravaged by COVID. 

Hard to say which was the weakest Division .... the bottom four in the West were the worst bottom four of all divisions.  I mean, we’re the Wild REALLY that good, or were the Cali teams and AZ just that bad?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1176 on: June 07, 2021, 09:54:05 PM »
Well, there were periods were Coyotes and Kings looked like, with enough oomph to it, they could have contended for that 4th spot and then they went into the buzzsaws that is Golden Knights and Avs.  I will argue in the case of the Wild that they probably would have fared well against teams like Canucks, Jets, and Flames and maybe the Oilers.  I'm not convinced that either of Canucks or Flames gets into the top 3 in the Pacific next season.  I'm thinking it will probably be Golden Knights, Oilers, and Kraken if they built a solid team.

The Sharks were bad (except when they faced the Kings for some reason.  Kings went 2-5-1 against the Sharks.  At least, two of those games the Kings were actually hammering the Sharks on shots and couldn't beat Martin Jones enough to win those games.  F***).  Ducks were terrible as well.  Kings had small moments of looking like they were going to be something and then they went back into being their 2018-2020 form of crappiness.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:08:47 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: June 08, 2021, 04:48:13 AM »
Well, there were periods were Coyotes and Kings looked like, with enough oomph to it, they could have contended for that 4th spot and then they went into the buzzsaws that is Golden Knights and Avs.  I will argue in the case of the Wild that they probably would have fared well against teams like Canucks, Jets, and Flames and maybe the Oilers.  I'm not convinced that either of Canucks or Flames gets into the top 3 in the Pacific next season.  I'm thinking it will probably be Golden Knights, Oilers, and Kraken if they built a solid team.

The Sharks were bad (except when they faced the Kings for some reason.  Kings went 2-5-1 against the Sharks.  At least, two of those games the Kings were actually hammering the Sharks on shots and couldn't beat Martin Jones enough to win those games.  F***).  Ducks were terrible as well.  Kings had small moments of looking like they were going to be something and then they went back into being their 2018-2020 form of crappiness.

I think that the Canucks might contend for that 3rd spot.  I think they'll lose Holtby to the expansion draft, or trade him before hand (Edmonton maybe??).  I think those bottom four teams benefited from a beat-down Blues lineup at times - especially the Coyotes.

It's semantics though ... I think all four divisions had their powerhouses (Wpg could've been, if not for their huge end-of-season slump), and their shit-kickers ... sandwiched between with some average/adequate lineups.  As for Montreal taking the North, they're reaping the benefits of clicking at the right time, and their opponents under-performing.  Montreal is definitely punching out of their weight-class, and very likely to get their clock cleaned by the Avs or Knights.  Who knows though - they might actually be the second coming of the '12 Kings!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: June 08, 2021, 05:33:44 AM »
Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens for sneaking into the playoffs and taking care of business in the weakest division in hockey this year. Enjoy the sweep, and I’m sorry in advance for the beating either Colorado or Vegas is going to hand you.

Never say never.  The winner of Avs/Vegas should thrash Montreal, but sports history is filled with losing teams that should have won a game or series.  A hot goalie like Price can be the wild card that flips everything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1179 on: June 08, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »
Fleury just completely shit the bed on that goal.  What a lackluster attempt. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: June 08, 2021, 08:06:00 PM »
Tampa looks like Juggernaught.

Bonehead save attempt by Flower with 1.8 seconds to go.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1181 on: June 09, 2021, 07:22:46 AM »
Huge win for Vegas, and now they have a chance to close out Colorado at home.

-MirrorMask

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1182 on: June 09, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
Vegas showing a lot of grit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1183 on: June 09, 2021, 08:07:29 AM »
Not that I want to see the Vegas fans get a Cup this quickly, but I will rejoice if they knock Kroenke's team out.  Avs gagged that away big time last night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: June 09, 2021, 09:37:10 AM »
Not that I want to see the Vegas fans get a Cup this quickly, but I will rejoice if they knock Kroenke's team out.  Avs gagged that away big time last night.

Yep. It won't break my heart if they happen to win it.....I just detest their coach but I can live with seeing Petrangelo winning another cup. Speaking of which....he's playing incredible which isn't surprising. It's that back end of the contract that's going to hurt but the first few years he will be and is worth every penny.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1185 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
A friend and I were texting back and forth about the COL/VEG game.  Basically trading expletives toward the end.  I wasn't watching the end of regulation or OT because my wife wanted to watch American Ninja Warrior, so I was following the game on the ESPN app.  Before I knew OT had even started, the game was final.  I'm so pissed that Colorado is gagging away this series.  Vegas winning the whole thing would be THE worst possible scenario (almost on par with Anaheim winning in '07).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: June 09, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »
Especially with the chance that the Avs had just 10 seconds in.  Saves are very easy to make when you shoot the puck right into the logo on the 'tender's jersey.  :facepalm:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1187 on: June 09, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
Man, I don't want to root for Montreal to beat the Golden Knights if it comes to that, but I hate the Golden Knights more at the moment, so there we go.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1188 on: June 09, 2021, 10:34:18 AM »
Especially with the chance that the Avs had just 10 seconds in.  Saves are very easy to make when you shoot the puck right into the logo on the 'tender's jersey.  :facepalm:

See Red Wings v. Ducks, 2003 first round series.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: June 09, 2021, 10:37:51 AM »

That game could have easily been 7-2 Colorado. From a handful of great saves by Fleury to a handful where Colorado just fired it into the breadbasket. Same could be said for Vegas though....they choked a couple scoring chances as well.

Bottom line is....you have to play the games and execute. Things happen in the game for both teams and it's how you respond that matters. And Vegas has responded in kind every since that weak penalty call on them that gave the AVs the PP and essentially the win in Game 2. It's been impressive.