Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73254 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1015 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:42 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call Leon Draisaitl, arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players on the planet, beer league calibre  ;)

I was being mostly facetious.  The team is 1/2 killer; 1/2 filler.

Goaltending is obviously an issue, but defense is a bigger problem. And having a top pair D man out all season (Klefbom) forced everyone else to play above their grade.

The reason Nurse ended up with some much ice time last night is because of the brutal play surrounding the Jets' tying goal. Ethan Bear gives it up on a terrible, dangerous pass, and, for whatever fucking reason, Slater Koekkoek decided to slide headfirst towards Wheeler (who promptly just side steps him). Those guys didn't play another shift, and Tippet basically went with 4 d the rest of the way.

My point exactly.  If you don't trust 1/3 of your defense for almost a full game's worth of time, that's on the GM.  Why didn't they make a (harder) move for Jamie Oleksiak?

Schecter... what's the word on them re-signing Barrie?  Is there desire (by either side) to?

Oh I'm sure the Oilers are very interested in re-signing Barrie, but I heard from a fairly reliable source last year that he never had any intention. Word is he wanted the 1-year deal in Edmonton to boost his next contract knowing he'd get tons of gravy points playing on the league's top power play unit (which turned out to be exactly what happened). I think I even saw an Edmonton Journal article a couple weeks ago saying he was going to market. I think he'd like to go to a contender, but I can't think of one that would have the cap space for him at $8M+.

In other Oilers news, it sounds like Darnell Nurse is looking for $8.5M. I sure hope that isn't true, otherwise this team will be in big cap trouble in the near future. Thankfully this season probably hurt Nugent-Hopkins chances of a pay raise contract from his current $6M.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1016 on: May 25, 2021, 12:10:07 PM »
UFA's are gonna be in for a rude awakening methinks.  2nd year in row of no cap increase means (at a macro level) everyone expecting a big pay raise is going to have to come at the expense of players getting a pay cut.  Most teams are right up against the cap.  So any raises will need a commensurate reduction through releases, retirements, buyouts, or older UFAs taking a pay cut.  FFS, only 8 teams are currently below the cap.  I guess one piece of good news is that the league-wide cap is going up by $81.5M with the addition of the Kraken.  Still, there's only so much money to go around on the "contenders".

Nurse at $8.5M.  I don't see it.  Barrie at $8M.  Don't see that either.  $8M for D puts you at the cusp of Top 10 in the league.  Barrie has played with the three teams that all have 1 or 2 of the top 10 players in the league.  Without PP1 time with those top guys (MacKinnon/Matthews/McDavid), what kind of player is he really?  You want to know - look at how he produced in Toronto when he wasn't on PP1, or the top pairing.  That's the kind of player he really is.  Anyone who gives him more than $6M AAV is going to instantly regret it.  Hell, I wouldn't even give him $5M.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1017 on: May 25, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
Thank goodness, the Kings don't need to worry too hard on RFA/UFAs this season since they already took care of extensions of Iafallo and Matt Roy during the season.  They will focus on Trevor Moore's extension.  Shouldn't be too hard in terms of AAV and term.  Maybe, they resign Andreas Athanasiou and/or Lias Andersson, but it's not big deal-breakers if they don't get resigned.  Rob Blake should look into trying to make risker moves and pick off the bones on those that's cap-strapped next season.  The main concern though is that in the 2021-2022 off-season, there will be five all right RFA guys that will need extensions.  Good news is that at the moment, I don't see anyone getting the amount that Iafallo has starting next season ($4M x 4 years), so that's something.

Edit: Oh wait, oh crap, Cal Petersen is a UFA that offseason in 2021-2022.  Ehhh, they'll figure that part out as the next season progresses.  Future them will take care of that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: May 25, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
The reason Nurse ended up with some much ice time last night is because of the brutal play surrounding the Jets' tying goal. Ethan Bear gives it up on a terrible, dangerous pass, and, for whatever fucking reason, Slater Koekkoek decided to slide headfirst towards Wheeler (who promptly just side steps him). Those guys didn't play another shift, and Tippet basically went with 4 d the rest of the way.

OMFG... I just checked the highlight of that (I went to bed at the 2nd intermission last night).  jingle.son and I laughed our assess off at that.  That was just fucking horrible.  And the SportsNet cut to McDavid's look of "you've got to be fucking kidding me" was priceless.

The Edmonton bench after that play:

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »
Ridiculous. Might as well have been a fish flopping around out of water. McDavid's look was one of complete, utter disbelief. Almost funny, if I weren't a fan terribly afraid we won't win a cup before McD's contract is up and he gets the hell out of town on the first available flight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1020 on: May 25, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »
Found the clip you guys are talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VvYXtIChg

Wow, what a bad goal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1021 on: May 25, 2021, 04:27:31 PM »
Does anyone else follow The Hockey Guy on Youtube?  Been watching his content in the last few weeks and I think he does a solid job summarizing all of the stuff going on in the league with not too heavy biases.   I also respect the amount of content he puts out on a daily basis and that he has hundreds of different kinds of jerseys and hats to wear depending on what team is making headlines.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1022 on: May 25, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »
Never heard of him. may have to check him out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1023 on: May 25, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »
^^ I'm surprised that you watch stuff on the regular on Youtube.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1024 on: May 25, 2021, 04:57:36 PM »
I'm usually browsing youtube most nights.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1025 on: May 25, 2021, 08:48:57 PM »
Chad, what are you hearing regarding the semifinals? Will Canada let the Lightning into Toronto?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1026 on: May 26, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
Was pleased to wake up and see that the Predators lost in heartbreaking fashion last night.  :coolio :coolio

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: May 26, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
Chad, what are you hearing regarding the semifinals? Will Canada let the Lightning into Toronto?

Nothing official, but if I were a betting man, I'd take the "no".  The anti-lockdown audience would lose their shit if rules were bent just for hockey teams.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1028 on: May 26, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »

Nothing official, but if I were a betting man, I'd take the "no".  The anti-lockdown audience would lose their shit if rules were bent just for hockey teams.
Lose. Their. Shit.

Although, the vaccine roll out is humming along nicely, so who knows how this will shake out a couple weeks from now after the 2nd round wraps.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: May 26, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »

Lose. Their. Shit.

Although, the vaccine roll out is humming along nicely, so who knows how this will shake out a couple weeks from now after the 2nd round wraps.

Well, didn't Trudeau say he wasn't interested in opening the borders until 75% of Canadians were fully vaccinated?  ATM, only 60%-ish have their 1st shot.

I don't think they'd put "high-performance athletes" in the essential worker category.  Whatever the league needs to do, they're gonna have to figure it out fast.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1030 on: May 26, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
Dumb question that I'm sure I could google:  is it predetermined that the winner of the A division will play the winner of the B division and the winner of the X division will play the winner of the Z division (as it was under the old Smythe/Norris/Patrick/Adams system)?  Or will they reseed and determine the semifinal matchups based on record?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1031 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
They're reseeding based on regular season points.

The semis will be Bruins/Avs and Leafs/Bolts.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: May 26, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »

On this, we agree.

And both our teams are going down.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1033 on: May 26, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »

On this, we agree.

And both our teams are going down.

Amazing to think that 3 of those 4 teams are normally in the same division.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1034 on: May 26, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »
They're reseeding based on regular season points.

:tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1035 on: May 26, 2021, 07:21:11 PM »
That Islanders/Penguins game was nuts.  Having fans back at games makes such a difference. That Islanders crowd was wound up all night.  :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1036 on: May 26, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
Last hockey game I saw was at Nassau Coliseum.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1037 on: May 26, 2021, 07:25:35 PM »
Tonight is the first time the Islanders have won a playoff series on home ice since 1993.  Crazy.

Isn't that the last time the Leafs won A playoff series? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: May 27, 2021, 04:48:20 AM »
Tonight is the first time the Islanders have won a playoff series on home ice since 1993.  Crazy.

Isn't that the last time the Leafs won A playoff series? :lol

But yeah, that Isles crowd was loud af. Sounded like a capacity filled arena!

Online pg1067

« Reply #1039 on: May 27, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
Last hockey game I saw was at Nassau Coliseum.

Last one I went to was at Barclay's.   :lol

That's one of the teams I don't want to win out.  Let's hope Minnesota completes the comeback tomorrow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1040 on: May 27, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
That Islanders/Penguins game was nuts.  Having fans back at games makes such a difference. That Islanders crowd was wound up all night.  :metal :metal

That place was rocking last night!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1041 on: May 27, 2021, 10:50:00 AM »
I’d attended games at the coliseum since the late 70s and all through their 4-year cup run in the 80s. My Dad had gotten into a partial season plan back then. The seats were in the upper 300s but it was still awesome. The sight lines at the coliseum are perfect for hockey and when the Isles had good teams, there was no louder arena. There were times when you could literally feel the cement shaking under your feet. I’m gonna miss that place.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: May 27, 2021, 08:33:24 PM »
Well that was a shitty way to cap off what was looking like a nice comeback. Oh well, on to Saturday.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: May 27, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
Montreal to have 2500 fans at the game for the 1st time this season. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1044 on: May 27, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
Well that was a shitty way to cap off what was looking like a nice comeback. Oh well, on to Saturday.

Toronto is clearly the better team. They just didn't bring a killer instinct tonight, although Price kept Montreal in the game early.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: May 28, 2021, 04:25:13 AM »

Toronto is clearly the better team. They just didn't bring a killer instinct tonight, although Price kept Montreal in the game early.

Yeah... the way I see it (and I hope I'm not seeing it through a Homer lens), the Habs have to have outstanding goaltending from Price, and play at their absolute best at both ends of the ice.  They were clearly the better playing team for 2 periods, and still only had a 2-goal lead... then ended up in OT, and a brutal turnover gave them the victory.  It was kinda the same for their Game 1 win - EVERYthing has/had to go right for the Habs to win a game.  The Leafs just have to not have bone-head plays (both the 3rd and 4th goals were due to bad plays on their part), and play a solid game - Leafs "solid" > Habs "flawless".

Well, at least the Canes got 'er done.  jingle.son went to bed happy (they're his 2nd fave team).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1046 on: May 28, 2021, 07:35:28 AM »
Well, at least the Canes got 'er done.  jingle.son went to bed happy (they're his 2nd fave team).

Yeah, that was nice to watch the Preds lose in front of their fans. That fan base irks me to no end.....and that being my brother in laws team makes it that much sweeter that they lost at home.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: May 28, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »

Yeah, that was nice to watch the Preds lose in front of their fans. That fan base irks me to no end.....and that being my brother in laws team makes it that much sweeter that they lost at home.

The real reason. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1048 on: May 28, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »
I think the Wild 'upset' the Knights tonight. They're playing better and have the mojo.....the pressure is on the Knights, not the Wild. It's going to be a fun game to watch for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: May 28, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »

The real reason. :lol

Rite??  I'm sure there wasn't a text or anything offering false condolences.   :D ;)