Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72582 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #840 on: May 13, 2021, 10:05:45 AM »
I think . . . [the] Kings are done for the season, mentally.

Ya think?!  Did you see or read about McLellan's press conference after the game?

This has been such an awful season, although that made it easy for me to forego going through all the rigmarole and cost of going to a game.

It'll be interesting to see which of the core four are with the team to begin next year.  They have over $32M in cap space tied up with Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick (plus $2.6M of Carter's salary and just over $1M for Dion Phaneuf).  Kopitar and Doughty aren't going anywhere.  I'd like to see Brown and Quick retire as Kings.  Brown could stick around for his final year, but I don't see how they keep Quick on the roster for two more years.

Just reading that the AVs are resting a lot of players tonight. I’d rather play Minnesota than the Blues as well. Curious to see their effort tonight.

Well...the Kings are starting Troy Grosenick in net, so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: May 13, 2021, 03:59:37 PM »
Yep, the Avs will likely tank tonight to ensure playing the Wild in the first round.

Gary, you are far more optimistic about the Blues chances than I am. Let's hope I am wrong and you are correct.

I just like the way certain players have been playing heading into the playoffs. It was a brutal season given all the injuries we had but they have managed to right the ship and are playing a team game right now. With the Championship experience they have and the right guys playing well....all I know is I wouldn’t be excited about drawing them the first round. It’s not going to be an easy series to win against them.

Vegas and Colorado have really good teams. But you still have to execute when it counts. If they do then they’ll be tough to beat. But if their butts pucker and they start feeling the pressure then we will see what their made of. The majority of the Blues squad has proven they can handle the pressure of the Cup run. I think that’s just as valuable as anything else.

Very true, but Binnington will need to be on his game almost every night.  He can't pull this "mediocre one game, awesome the next" routine that he pulls far too often.  Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and I give him the most credit for the G7 win over the Bruins (he played out of his mind in the 1st period before the rest of the team pulled their heads out of their asses), but a little more consistency sometimes would be nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #842 on: May 13, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
Guys, isn't Vegas banged up going into the playoffs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #843 on: May 13, 2021, 04:13:48 PM »

I certainly hope so.  Vegas is one of only 3-4 of the playoff teams that I absolutely do NOT want to see win the Cup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #844 on: May 13, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »
Yep, the Avs will likely tank tonight to ensure playing the Wild in the first round.

Gary, you are far more optimistic about the Blues chances than I am. Let's hope I am wrong and you are correct.

I just like the way certain players have been playing heading into the playoffs. It was a brutal season given all the injuries we had but they have managed to right the ship and are playing a team game right now. With the Championship experience they have and the right guys playing well....all I know is I wouldn’t be excited about drawing them the first round. It’s not going to be an easy series to win against them.

Vegas and Colorado have really good teams. But you still have to execute when it counts. If they do then they’ll be tough to beat. But if their butts pucker and they start feeling the pressure then we will see what their made of. The majority of the Blues squad has proven they can handle the pressure of the Cup run. I think that’s just as valuable as anything else.

Very true, but Binnington will need to be on his game almost every night.  He can't pull this "mediocre one game, awesome the next" routine that he pulls far too often.  Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and I give him the most credit for the G7 win over the Bruins (he played out of his mind in the 1st period before the rest of the team pulled their heads out of their asses), but a little more consistency sometimes would be nice.

I agree. But, Ever since his “we’re coming” comment he’s been on his game. I forgot the stats but he’s been near the top of them for the past month or so. If he gains some momentum it’s good news.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #845 on: May 13, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »

I certainly hope so.  Vegas is one of only 3-4 of the playoff teams that I absolutely do NOT want to see win the Cup.

This, so much. They’re my number 2 least liked after the Bruins.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #846 on: May 13, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »

I agree. But, Ever since his “we’re coming” comment he’s been on his game. I forgot the stats but he’s been near the top of them for the past month or so. If he gains some momentum it’s good news.

For sure.

And we gets the Avs in Round 1. Should be interesting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: May 13, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »

For sure.

Yes it should. We beat them opening night 4-1 then got stomped 8-0 then next night then:

Lost 3-2
Lost 2-1
Lost 4-3
Lost 4-2 (empty net goal...was 3-2)
Won 5-3
Won 4-1

Outside of the second game of the year we've played right with them in every game and even in a couple of those losses outplayed them but they found ways to win like good teams do. The last two games we beat them was after the Blues finally started looking like the Blues should. So, while they are a very intimidating team for sure....I'm not one of the ones who is convinced that Colorado is going to wipe the floor with us. You gotta play the games and earn it. Like I mentioned earlier....I like having that Championship run experience sitting on our bench. I'll take the 'underdog' role in this one. It'll be a fun series to watch.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: May 14, 2021, 04:11:30 AM »
One of my rules of life is "Never deprive anyone of hope; it might be all they have".   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: May 14, 2021, 06:27:56 AM »
One of my rules of life is "Never deprive anyone of hope; it might be all they have".   :lol

:lol   I could be blinded in this moment. Who knows? We will know in a couple weeks

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #850 on: May 14, 2021, 06:43:24 AM »

For sure.

Yes it should. We beat them opening night 4-1 then got stomped 8-0 then next night then:

Lost 3-2
Lost 2-1
Lost 4-3
Lost 4-2 (empty net goal...was 3-2)
Won 5-3
Won 4-1

Outside of the second game of the year we've played right with them in every game and even in a couple of those losses outplayed them but they found ways to win like good teams do. The last two games we beat them was after the Blues finally started looking like the Blues should. So, while they are a very intimidating team for sure....I'm not one of the ones who is convinced that Colorado is going to wipe the floor with us. You gotta play the games and earn it. Like I mentioned earlier....I like having that Championship run experience sitting on our bench. I'll take the 'underdog' role in this one. It'll be a fun series to watch.

If the bolded part isn't optimism, I don't know what is. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: May 14, 2021, 07:37:09 AM »
I think he's trying to say that (other than the 8-0 ass-raping) all of the Blues' losses to them this season were essentially 1-goal games.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: May 14, 2021, 07:49:41 AM »
I think he's trying to say that (other than the 8-0 ass-raping) all of the Blues' losses to them this season were essentially 1-goal games.

Yeah I know.  Still trying to be positive. Sounds like Kev isn't.  Honestly, I don't know what to think.  Our division the 4 teams in the playoffs all possible to get to the cup.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #853 on: May 14, 2021, 08:36:11 AM »
Well, the President's Cup winner hasn't made it past the 2nd round since 2015, so let's hope that trend continues and the Avs go down in the 1st round.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »
The Golden Knights are a scary team too.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: May 14, 2021, 09:15:59 AM »
I think I get where Kev is coming from as well. The Championship run of 2019 I and most Blues fans never had much doubt they'd win it all. Everything fell into place and they were just playing SO confident and well as a team and as fans there was never a sense of worry or that they weren't going to pull it out. It really was a 'magical' run and experience. It's tough to explain.....

That feeling was a once in a lifetime deal I think. There's certainly not that feeling surrounding this incarnation of the Blues given the season they've had. Where my optimism falls is just leaning on the experience that they have from that run and the fact that they are just now over the past few weeks starting to play as a team and have a good team game going. Will it be enough to be able to beat two juggernaut teams in a row? Who knows? But I don't think they're in danger of getting slaughtered 4-1 or anything like that. I can easily see a 7 game series happening given how well they've played against Colorado. Anyway.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: May 14, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »
Predictions:
East:
Penguins v Isles
Caps v Bruins

Central
Canes v Preds
Panthers v Lightning

North
Leafs v Habs
Oil v Jets

West
Avs v Blues
Knights v Wild

Division Finals
Penguins v Bruins
Canes v Lightning
Leafs v Oil (yes, this is a homer pick)
Avs v Knights

Stanley Cup Semi-Final
Leafs v Lightning
Avs v Bruins

Stanley Cup
Avs v Lightning

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #857 on: May 14, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Prediction time! And just like every year, I’m sure the team I pick to win it all will be eliminated by the second round.

East

Penguins vs Islanders
Capitals vs Bruins

Penguins vs Bruins

Central

Hurricanes vs Predators
Panthers vs Lightning

Hurricanes vs Panthers

West

Avalanche vs Blues
Golden Knights vs Wild

Golden Knights vs Blues

North

Maple Leafs vs Canadiens
Oilers vs Jets

Maple Leafs vs Oilers

Semi-Finals

Golden Knights vs Oilers
Panthers vs Penguins

Finals

Oilers vs Panthers
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
Finals

Oilers vs Panthers

Prediction time! And just like every year, I’m sure the team I pick to win it all will be eliminated by the second round.

I hope so!!!   :biggrin:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #859 on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
Well I'm done with hockey for a few months.  Hopefully the Kraken can give me a winning team.  California sure ain't doin it.  ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #860 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
I think I get where Kev is coming from as well. The Championship run of 2019 I and most Blues fans never had much doubt they'd win it all. Everything fell into place and they were just playing SO confident and well as a team and as fans there was never a sense of worry or that they weren't going to pull it out. It really was a 'magical' run and experience. It's tough to explain.....

That feeling was a once in a lifetime deal I think. There's certainly not that feeling surrounding this incarnation of the Blues given the season they've had. Where my optimism falls is just leaning on the experience that they have from that run and the fact that they are just now over the past few weeks starting to play as a team and have a good team game going. Will it be enough to be able to beat two juggernaut teams in a row? Who knows? But I don't think they're in danger of getting slaughtered 4-1 or anything like that. I can easily see a 7 game series happening given how well they've played against Colorado. Anyway.....

It really was.  While guys like Tarasenko, O'Reilly and Petro were/are all really, really good players, it's pretty hard to repeat as champs and/or get a dynasty in hockey without at least one or two true superstars, and the Blues didn't really have one.  That is why that run did have that lightning in a bottle feeling. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #861 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »
East

Penguins vs Islanders
Capitals vs Bruins

Penguins vs Caps

Central

Hurricanes vs Predators
Panthers vs Lightning

Hurricanes vs Lightning

West

Avalanche vs Blues
Golden Knights vs Wild

Avalanche vs Golden Knights

North

Maple Leafs vs Canadiens
Oilers vs Jets

Maple Leafs vs Oilers

Semi-Finals

Golden Knights vs Lightning
Maple Leafs vs Penguins

Finals

Golden Knights vs Maple Leafs

The Bruins have a BETTER team now than they did in 2019 and they are likely out in the first round this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: May 15, 2021, 05:35:32 AM »
I like the cut of your jib there, but it ain't gonna happen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #863 on: May 15, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »

The Bruins have a BETTER team now than they did in 2019 and they are likely out in the first round this year.

It's crazy how that happens sometimes.  Heck, looking at baseball, the Cardinals were awesome in '04 and '05, but didn't win the World Series either year, and then won it in '06 with a team not nearly as good as the two prior ones.  Or take your Patriots in football where the best team of the Brady/Belichick dynasty ('07) didn't win it.  Just goes to show ya that it matters most how you are playing come postseason time, which I guess harkens back to Gary's point about the Blues, who probably are playing their best hockey lately.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: May 15, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
Yup and a hard road to play the Caps, then either the Penguins or Islanders. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: May 15, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
The East looks to have the closest matchups.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: May 15, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »

I like the Leafs to take it, Chad. I really do.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: May 15, 2021, 08:27:44 PM »

I like the Leafs to take it, Chad. I really do.

That' makes one of us.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #868 on: May 15, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
I correctly predicted a Caps OT win today, although I said it's be 4-3..

Bruins found themselves in an OT game despite playing pretty unengaged hockey tonight. They're going to need to pick it up big time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: May 15, 2021, 09:01:37 PM »

Bruins found themselves in an OT game despite playing pretty unengaged hockey tonight. They're going to need to pick it up big time.

I only watched the OT, but Anderson has only played what ... 2 games all year.  They should've been crashing the net and throwing the puck at him at every opportunity.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: May 15, 2021, 09:13:57 PM »
Why are the North games not starting until Thursday?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #871 on: May 15, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »
They start Wednesday. Why? Who the fuck knows. They likely had to wait due to Calgary and Vancouver still playing regular season games.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: May 15, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »
They start Wednesday. Why? Who the fuck knows. They likely had to wait due to Calgary and Vancouver still playing regular season games.

With them both out, I still fail to understand why the North playoffs could start as early as tomorrow (Tor/Mtl) and Monday (Edm/Wpg).  It makes no sense to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: May 15, 2021, 09:39:20 PM »

I only watched the OT, but Anderson has only played what ... 2 games all year.  They should've been crashing the net and throwing the puck at him at every opportunity.

B's not hitting the net enough. Then crash the net.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: May 15, 2021, 10:31:15 PM »
Perron placed in COVID status two days before playoffs.  :censored  If this isn’t a false positive then I will amend my optimism. Outside of Oreily.....he’s the most important forward we have. He finished over a point a game and has been playing great.

He’s the third Blues to hit COVID protocol in the past week. Hope this isn’t an outbreak. I doubt the league postpones the playoffs for the Blues. I believe they would if it were a couple of the darling teams but have no doubt they’ll make the Blues play the games with beer vendors and equipment managers.

Losing Perron will be brutal.