Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73366 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »
Just watched the highlights of that one. Lot of greasy goals, and terrible defense - on both sides.

It was a train wreck for sure.....but I'll take the win in those train wreck games. Blues lost ANOTHER forward two minutes into the game, De Larose, to add to the injury list. Rumor is that both Paryako and Schwartz's injuries are far more serious than originally thought and both may miss the entire rest of this season. Which, if Paryako is gone then that's pretty much that. Blues can't make any type of run in the playoffs (should they make it) without him on D

Krug is going through what Faulk went through last season. He looks horrible trying to adjust to a different team/style. I'm not worried long term but right now he's a mess.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »
Loving the Wild/Kings unis tonight.

It looked like Mardi Gras on ice.

And that goal with 0.3 second left in OT really made me want to break something.  Just fucking awful!

Losing to the Wild this season is so much more frustrating than losing to any other team in the West right now, because of how the loses happened.

The Kings blew 3-1 leads against them, twice, and lose in OT (one of them was with less than 10 seconds in OT)
Another loss was when the Kings lost two defensemen in that game and lost two more guys after the game to COVID protocol.
This current road trip where the Wild ran off to a 3-0 lead in both games and guess what?  They won in those games.

That series will probably be a difference maker between making it to post-season and not. I mean I know this Kings' team wasn't going to be favorites to make it going into this season, anyway, but so were four other teams in the West.  This kind of series with Wild will be a difference maker on who gets that 4th spot.

On a side note, holy crap indeed at that 7-6 game between Blues and Sharks.  Looking at that scoreboard, I'm surprised it ended in regulation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:09:48 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »
WTF happened to Kelly Nash? Yikes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
Nick is slacking at keeping the thread title current.  :P

Curious... who is the biggest surprise so far, now that we're most teams are about 1/3 of the way thru their season?  On the good side, I think the Leafs are a (pleasant) surprise they are playing as well as they are (despite a couple of bad-beats at the hands of the Sens).  Same with the Wild, Panthers and Blackhawks.  Disappointments have to include the Stars, Avs, and Canucks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
The fact that the Leafs are leading the North division is not a surprise Chad. Homer.  ;D

They’ve been the best Canadian team for a few years now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: March 01, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
The fact that the Leafs are leading the North division is not a surprise Chad. Homer.  ;D

The fact they are leading the LEAGUE (both in total points, and points %), *is*.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
But they’re playing bantams.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
But they’re playing bantams.

That's quite a word there.  Accurate though.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »
Disappointments have to include the Stars, Avs, and Canucks.

While I'm disappointed with the Blues I am not very upset about it given it's apparently our turn this year to have the injury bug just decimate our team. I like the fight they're putting up but have drastically altered my expectations for this season. I'd be happy with a playoff berth.....thrilled with a second round appearance.

But I will say that I'm not surprised by the Avs and Stars lack of 'next level' play. You can go back through my comments and see that I've been skeptical all along. The one thing the 'experts' forget is you have to play the games and while those two teams have some players who are really good....they've not proven that they can get the job done. The league and the powers that be 'want' those three teams you mentioned to be in that elite tier but it's just not there yet. Gotta earn it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
Disappointments have to include the Stars, Avs, and Canucks.

While I'm disappointed with the Blues I am not very upset about it given it's apparently our turn this year to have the injury bug just decimate our team. I like the fight they're putting up but have drastically altered my expectations for this season. I'd be happy with a playoff berth.....thrilled with a second round appearance.

But I will say that I'm not surprised by the Avs and Stars lack of 'next level' play. You can go back through my comments and see that I've been skeptical all along. The one thing the 'experts' forget is you have to play the games and while those two teams have some players who are really good....they've not proven that they can get the job done. The league and the powers that be 'want' those three teams you mentioned to be in that elite tier but it's just not there yet. Gotta earn it.

I can't say I disagree with you... but given the talent (Avs) and results last year (Stars), expectations (realistic or not) were very high for both.  Avs ... I'm not convinced on Grubauer as a starter, and their defense isn't anything special.  Add to that, it seems MacKinnon is taking a step backwards.  Stars are old af (and looking like it), and Bishop's best years are in the rearview mirror.  Plus, they are in a tough division - especially with the Hawks playing well.

As for the North, I think the Leafs over-performance can be linked with the Canucks and Habs significant under-performance (despite the latter starting like a bat out of hell).  Flames to some extent as well.  The Leafs have only played the Jets once so far, so the 3 games they have coming up there will be a little telling.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
I can't say I disagree with you... but given the talent (Avs) and results last year (Stars), expectations (realistic or not) were very high for both.  Avs ... I'm not convinced on Grubauer as a starter, and their defense isn't anything special.  Add to that, it seems MacKinnon is taking a step backwards.  Stars are old af (and looking like it), and Bishop's best years are in the rearview mirror.  Plus, they are in a tough division - especially with the Hawks playing well.

As for the North, I think the Leafs over-performance can be linked with the Canucks and Habs significant under-performance (despite the latter starting like a bat out of hell).  Flames to some extent as well.  The Leafs have only played the Jets once so far, so the 3 games they have coming up there will be a little telling.

MacKinnon is a stud....plain and simple but HE is the main cog in that machine. Some of the parts there work ok when he's not on his game or in the line up but for the most part he's the one driving that team/offense. He just makes people better and leads with a great style of play. If he's off or out then they're lost. Agree about Grubauer and their D as well.

The Stars....ehh....if not for Covid they don't even make the playoffs last year...or if they did limp in they were all injured and on a spiraling path downward. They and the AV's were the two teams that benefited the most from that Covid 'pause'. With not having to play them this season I haven't seen hardly any of their games but I doubt my opinion of them would change. Middle of the pack team that I guess could catch fire and make a go of it but I'm not impressed with their players as a whole.

As far as the Leaf's they're playing with the hand dealt to them and getting the job done.  A couple hiccups here and there but they're throwing points up consistently and doing what they have to do. It'll just come down to the playoffs and if they are ready to take that next step or not as a group of guys. Just takes the right group of guys to 'buy in'...play for one another and make a run at it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: March 01, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »
My surprises are Florida and Chicago. Maybe Minnesota too. But everyone seems pretty much slotted about right. Yeah, I guess the Aves could be look at as disappointing. But there's a long way to go.

Is there any word on Jonathan Toews? What's the deal?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2021, 06:09:31 PM »
My surprises are Florida and Chicago. Maybe Minnesota too. But everyone seems pretty much slotted about right. Yeah, I guess the Aves could be look at as disappointing. But there's a long way to go.

Well, before the season began, he sat out for the season due to undisclosed illness.  Not much of a timetable on when he will be back.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30617824/chicago-blackhawks-jonathan-toews-indefinitely-illness

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2021, 06:10:46 PM »

Well, before the season began, he sat out for the season due to undisclosed illness.  Not much of a timetable on when he will be back.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30617824/chicago-blackhawks-jonathan-toews-indefinitely-illness

I know that! I guess I was asking if there were any updates or leaks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »
^^ I see.  Still the same picture.  Here's what Stan Bowman said regarding Toews last February.

"His status is the same as it was the last time we spoke of it, but nothing has changed as far as all these crazy things you're hearing or speculating," Bowman said. "That's not the case. But I think the important thing that we've tried to communicate to Jonathan is that just take your time, take care of yourself, when you're ready, you're ready. We'd love to welcome him back whenever that is, but until that happens we're just going to let him ... he's on his own timeline.

"We're not trying to call him daily to ask him how he's feeling, I think it's better to let him ... we know how much he loves being the leader of the team and when he's ready, he's going to be back here. We're not going to have to pull him back. So until that happens, we wish him the best and we know he'll be back when he's ready."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/blackhawks-stan-bowman-provides-updates-kirby-dach-brent-seabrook-jonathan-toews

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »
@ Chad..

The Oilers seemed to take some liberties with Marner the other night. I hope someone on the Leafs holds them accountable tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »
Those golden helmets for Vegas are fucking evil!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »
Big 3 game set between the Oil and Leafs starting tomorrow. If Toronto ends up sweeping, that might put them out of reach. In the division. It would put them 9pts up with games in hand.

I'm optimistic about the Oilers' play lately, so I'm wagering they go 2-1

I fucking deserve the beatings the Oilers just got these last 2 games

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2021, 05:25:09 AM »
@ Chad..

The Oilers seemed to take some liberties with Marner the other night. I hope someone on the Leafs holds them accountable tonight.

Haha... good one.  Without Simmonds, there isn't anyone on the roster to do that.  Though, tbh... I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary.

Gotta say, looks like this team finally 'gets it' defensively.  To shut out a team as dangerous as the Oil with the backup, and the backup's backup is very impressive.  AND without Matthews.  AND holding the PP off the board.  Complete and total team effort from the entire lineup - everyone played their part magnificently.

It's too bad the Atlantic wasn't intact - would love to see these Leafs going up against the Bs, Bolts, and Panthers.  Those games would be something to behold.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »
I just perused last night's scores... Man, the Blues nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!  That was close!  Given how banged up they are, every W and point is going to count right now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2021, 09:56:47 AM »
I just perused last night's scores... Man, the Blues nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!  That was close!  Given how banged up they are, every W and point is going to count right now.

Yeah....that game was over and in hand and then it got too close for comfort. But like you said....I'll take every point we can get right now no matter how ugly.

The Blues had a rookie called up playing last night, Dakota Joshua, and he scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Kid was ear to ear smiling on the bench. It was cool to see.

Marco Scandella gets his two front teeth knocked out by a stick on a follow through shot......and doesn't miss a shift!! Dude was right back out there!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
Scandella has been taken some punishment lately.  He got hit in the face with the puck against the Kings last Wednesday off a deflected shot from the glass by Sean Walker (who also recently got hit in the face with the puck and missed a few weeks).  Left the game bloodied (I think.  I can't recall the visuals, but I think I did see some color).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
Scandella has been taken some punishment lately.  He got hit in the face with the puck against the Kings last Wednesday off a deflected shot to the glass by Sean Walker (who also recently got hit in the face with the puck and missed a few weeks).  Left the game bloodied (I think.  I can't recall the visuals, but I think I did see some color).

yeah....he got his nose busted open. Then, came back the next game and scored two goals  :lol  His first two goals with the Blues and first ever two goal game. During quarantine last season they did this digital interview with him where he basically isolated at some property he had and his workout was just walking his property chopping down trees with an Ax.  :lol 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: March 04, 2021, 04:38:08 AM »
I feel like I should send a condolences card, Schecter  :lol.  Man, I really don't know if the Leafs were really THAT good during the mini-series, or Edmonton (partly) shat the bed... it's probably a bit of both.  The Oil's weaknesses were fully exposed (weak G; lack of depth at D).

Jason Spezza is 4 points from cracking the Top 100 scorers of all time list.  Man, he's having a terrific season.  The way this team is playing, I hope it's not gonna disrupt them when Simmonds is healed and ready to get into the lineup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2021, 06:00:53 AM »
Bruins lost in a shootout against Washington last night. It might've been the best game of the year that I've watched. It was a playoff game big time.  The intensity was incredible.

@ Gary...I saw the beginning of the Blues game last night and it looked like Krug assisted on the first two goals. But he looks really out of place.
They interviewed him on NBC talking and he really seemed like he was trying to convince himself while talking about the Blues.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #410 on: March 04, 2021, 06:38:56 AM »
I feel like I should send a condolences card, Schecter  :lol.  Man, I really don't know if the Leafs were really THAT good during the mini-series, or Edmonton (partly) shat the bed... it's probably a bit of both.  The Oil's weaknesses were fully exposed (weak G; lack of depth at D).

Jason Spezza is 4 points from cracking the Top 100 scorers of all time list.  Man, he's having a terrific season.  The way this team is playing, I hope it's not gonna disrupt them when Simmonds is healed and ready to get into the lineup.
Yeah, that was as bad a 3 game stretch the Oil have put up in a long time. And that's really saying something considering how bad this team has been in the last 10 years. I'm just glad it wasn't another shutout. I have to imagine that 3 consecutive shutouts against the same team would have been an NHL record

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: March 04, 2021, 08:07:47 AM »

Yeah, that was as bad a 3 game stretch the Oil have put up in a long time. And that's really saying something considering how bad this team has been in the last 10 years. I'm just glad it wasn't another shutout. I have to imagine that 3 consecutive shutouts against the same team would have been an NHL record

With 3 different goalies!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
Bruins lost in a shootout against Washington last night. It might've been the best game of the year that I've watched. It was a playoff game big time.  The intensity was incredible.

@ Gary...I saw the beginning of the Blues game last night and it looked like Krug assisted on the first two goals. But he looks really out of place.
They interviewed him on NBC talking and he really seemed like he was trying to convince himself while talking about the Blues.

Yeah Tim.....he’s not doing ‘bad’......has a good plus/minus......but you can tell he’s not comfortable yet. The Blues don’t have the amount of skilled players Boston had so a lot of his plays/ideas for moving the puck and generating offense cause more issues than help. I’m not worried long term.....he will get there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »
RIP to Walter.  Greatest Hockey Dad of all-time.  He was as much an icon in Canada as the Great One.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #414 on: March 05, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
^^ Yep.  RIP, indeed.  From what I've read, he was darn approachable as a person and, obviously, he was very proud of the accomplishments that Wayne made and taught Wayne on how to approach the game that Wayne excelled in huge portions.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #415 on: March 05, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
Yeah, Walter always seemed like a decent guy.

Darryl Sutter replaces Geoff Ward in Calgary.

Geoff Ward is a Cup winning Assistant and he did a great job taking over the Flames with adversity around them. Perhaps he's just not meant to be a head coach and that's ok. He won't be unemployed for long.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #416 on: March 05, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
So Sutter has now come back to Calgary as a coach.  His last tenure in Calgary was a GM, right?  During that time before he went to the Kings and be their coach.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:32:31 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2021, 03:30:25 PM »

Yeah....that game was over and in hand and then it got too close for comfort. But like you said....I'll take every point we can get right now no matter how ugly.

The Blues had a rookie called up playing last night, Dakota Joshua, and he scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Kid was ear to ear smiling on the bench. It was cool to see.

Marco Scandella gets his two front teeth knocked out by a stick on a follow through shot......and doesn't miss a shift!! Dude was right back out there!!!

Blues looked like they were in a freefall and then lost some veterans to injury...and now are on a winning streak. Crazy. Maybe it took getting a few young players in there to light a fire.  And there was some chatter about some of the vets loafing it, so the injuries may have been a short term blessing in disguise.  91 should be back any time, supposedly.  Can't wait to see how he looks and how his shoulder holds up. That would be huge.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »
Blues looked like they were in a freefall and then lost some veterans to injury...and now are on a winning streak. Crazy. Maybe it took getting a few young players in there to light a fire.  And there was some chatter about some of the vets loafing it, so the injuries may have been a short term blessing in disguise.  91 should be back any time, supposedly.  Can't wait to see how he looks and how his shoulder holds up. That would be huge.

Here's the thing though.....prior to that crazy 7 games in a row against Arizona they'd beaten Vegas and Colorado and were playing great.....Vegas gets the preferential treatment from the league and gets to get a game postponed due to one guy on covid (let's not talk about Stone getting off scott free for concussing Bozak....who is STILL out) and they were looking good.

Then that series against Arizona hits and it was just crazy all around. Lost a couple one goal games and Arizona was playing good...so, it looked bad and we missed out on some points. Got in a bit of a rut for a few games....losing a couple one goal games....but....IF they can get healthy and scratch their way into the playoffs I'd say that'd be the team you wouldn't want to have to play. Binningtons win/loss doesn't look good but he's been playing rock solid. I think it's something like 5 losses this year by a goal....including two in his recent three game losing streak.

Still not excited about how many important players we have injured that aren't anywhere near coming back but and thrilled that Mikkoloa and Kyrou are 'regulars' (as they should be) and that we have some players really stepping up and filling the gaps. When Tarasenko gets back we'll be that much better. An 80% Tarasenko is better than half the players in the leagues 100% so I'll take it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns