Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73207 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2021, 06:06:18 AM »
OK, yes that makes sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:50 PM »
This game is too weird for me, sometimes.  Kings blew two 3-1 leads against the Wild, but managed to come back from 0-2 deficit against the Avs to win it?  I'll take these kinds of wins how they get them.  I just don't want to see this team think they are a team that's going to get run over for the entire season.  Make the top 3 West teams squirm a bit if the Kings are not a playoff contender.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2021, 09:20:29 AM »
This game is too weird for me, sometimes.  Kings blew two 3-1 leads against the Wild, but managed to come back from 0-2 deficit against the Avs to win it?  I'll take these kinds of wins how they get them.  I just don't want to see this team think they are a team that's going to get run over for the entire season.  Make the top 3 West teams squirm a bit if the Kings are not a playoff contender.

I kinda think that's who the Kings are going to be this season.  I'd say they did make Minnesota squirm (although they're not one of the top-3), and getting 4 points out of these first two games against Minnesota and two against Colorado is about as good as anyone could have hoped for.  Other than the five guys leftover from the two Cup runs, this is a ridiculously young team.  There's a lot of potential, but it's not going to happen this year, and I hope the five veterans can remain heavily invested in the development of the young guys (and that McClellan can stick around and provide consistency for them).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2021, 05:20:53 AM »
Now THAT was an entertaining game - and I don't just say that because the Leafs came out on top.  Lots of action (Oilers had 3 odd-man rushes in the first 4 minutes), great plays, excellent goaltending, plenty of shot attempts and SOGs from both sides.  The outcome could've gone either way. 

Calgary next should be entertaining.

Other tidbits
Rumours on Dubois are Wild, Montreal, or Winnipeg.
What the hell were those Capitals Russians thinking!?!?!
Is Dallas that good, or was Nashville that bad.  Sheesh... 5 ppg, and a shortie!
Duck and Coyotes with clear victories ... I'm tellin y'all, these "shit" teams are not going to be an easy out for anyone.  Vegas looked pretty sloppy defensively.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »
It’s official ... Jets trading Laine, Roslovic to Blue Jackets for Dubois

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-trading-laine-roslovic-blue-jackets-dubois-blockbuster/?template=basic
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2021, 09:12:14 AM »
Well, it seems like the natural course of action.  One guy in the Jets is disgruntled about his status on the team and wants out.  Another guy in the Blue Jackets is also not on the greatest of terms on the team and also wants out.  What do you do?  You do a trade with each other and fulfill the goal to move both of them out.  I would think in terms of value when it comes to cap hit, that Columbus would give more.  We'll see if it pans for both of them.  I don't know if Laine wants to stick around in Columbus for long.

Edit: Oh wait, Winnipeg retains salary?  I think this may be a case where Columbus could win in a trade for once?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:21:13 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »
I'm a little unclear why the Jets would retain 25% of Laine's salary AND give up Roslovic.  So under the premise that Laine-for-Dubois is a wash, the Jets give up an additional player (granted, one that is unsigned, they don't have room to sign, and doesn't want to be there), and lose cap space for this year, in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure that Dubois is that much better than Laine.  Plus, Dubois won't be able to play for 2 weeks.  I think the Jets come out a little behind on this deal.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »
Pretty sure Jets lose this trade, no question. Laine > Dubois , plus they throw in Rostival and Jets retain salary? I haven't read the article, but unless CBJ is sending more assets, then Jets got fleeced

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »
Pretty sure Jets lose this trade, no question. Laine > Dubois , plus they throw in Rostival and Jets retain salary? I haven't read the article, but unless CBJ is sending more assets, then Jets got fleeced

I dunno about "fleeced".  Obviously time will tell, but they get one more year of Dubois at $5M.  If Laine performs, he's gonna command $8M-ish with term.  I also think Dubois is more of a complete player than Laine.  Offensively, Laine can should be better, but as a 2-way player, Dubois should have the edge.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:57 PM »
It's getting really old watching the Oil blow leads like tonight's 3-1 lead. And there's no backup now that Smith is on IR. At least not a backup you'd want playing in an NHL game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2021, 09:11:14 PM »
He had a rough first season as a Blue, but I suspect Justin Faulk won over a lot of fans tonight.  Mark Stone of the Golden Knights committed a dirty penalty on Bozak, and he was barely out of the box after serving his 2 minutes before Faulk was dropping his gloves and fighting him.  :metal :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
Kings finally got a win over Wild and didn't blow a 3-1 lead.  Thankfully, they didn't have a 3-1 lead to blow anyway, but whatever.  This team is progressing nicely.  There are still some leaks in their overall game, but these kinds of games where they are not going to let the other team run over them is games I want to see more of, win or lose.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:04:10 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:46 PM »
He had a rough first season as a Blue, but I suspect Justin Faulk won over a lot of fans tonight.  Mark Stone of the Golden Knights committed a dirty penalty on Bozak, and he was barely out of the box after serving his 2 minutes before Faulk was dropping his gloves and fighting him.  :metal :metal

Yep. He’s coming into his own on this team. Best player in the bubble last year and he’s been great so far this season. You can see a change in his demeanor and confidence.

Was glad to see Berube finally go off on the officiating. That penalty they called on Scandella to give the Knights a 5 on 3 and essentially the game tying goal was horrid. Been like that all season.....not just against the Blues but across the league. Piss poor officiating.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2021, 05:32:27 AM »
The Leafs-Flames game last night was quite entertaining.  Thank god the Flames didn't start the game until the 2nd period.  Seriously, they looked like a scrimmage squad in the first.  But they pumelled the Leafs in the 2nd - Anderson made some really great saves, and was rock solid.  Luckily, the Leafs had an answer for every time Calgary did slip one past Freddie.  That game coulda gone either way.

@Schecter... Sucks that they are stuck in a bad situation with the goaltending. Leafs are in a bit of a bind now too with Campbell (who's terrific as a b/u goalie) injured for a couple of weeks.  I'll bet they wish they hadn't tried to put Dell on the Taxi Squad, cuz now the team is right back to the beginning of last season with Hutchinson as the backup - who can't stop a beachball.

Torts is somethin else.  Lambastes his team for being completely out-played from the drop of the puck.  Fuck pal... your team was 2 seconds from the win, if not for a lucky bunt by Hornqvist to tie it, and then seal it in a SO.  No wonder Dubois wanted out.  That guy may be a great coach, but he's a piece of shit leader.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
That guy may be a great coach, but he's a piece of shit leader.

ehh...I don't know if I'd use 'great'. He's 'good'.....but IMO he's all antics and soundbites. He's a personality that uses unorthodox methods to try and get the most out of his players. If he gets the right mix of players that buy in to his side show then it seems to work for a bit. But, it's not a sustainable way to coach. I'm entertained as all heck by the guy but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a 'great' coach.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2021, 09:00:16 AM »

ehh...I don't know if I'd use 'great'. He's 'good'.....but IMO he's all antics and soundbites. He's a personality that uses unorthodox methods to try and get the most out of his players. If he gets the right mix of players that buy in to his side show then it seems to work for a bit. But, it's not a sustainable way to coach. I'm entertained as all heck by the guy but I'm not sure I'd classify him as a 'great' coach.

Totally fair, and more accurate.  I'm just thinking about last year - to get what he got from that group of players was pretty remarkable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »

Totally fair, and more accurate.  I'm just thinking about last year - to get what he got from that group of players was pretty remarkable.

100% agree on that. I think that was the 'right time...right place' cocktail. His approach to coaching worked for that blend of players at that time. Which is true for a lot of teams. It's funny how fickle a coaches message and style can be. Some coaches can keep their teams 'bought in' for several seasons/years. Others have a short shelf life.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
Kings finally got a win over Wild and didn't blow a 3-1 lead.  Thankfully, they didn't have a 3-1 lead to blow anyway, but whatever.  This team is progressing nicely.  There are still some leaks in their overall game, but these kinds of games where they are not going to let the other team run over them is games I want to see more of, win or lose.

We'll see how they do tomorrow, but that kind of performance in a tight game was a big deal -- especially with the supposed goalie of the future in net.  Once Minnesota got the tying goal, I fully expected the Kings to fall apart, but the nutted up and got the second goal and held the lead against a very aggressive Wild.

Now I just need to learn who most of these kids are.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »

Yep. He’s coming into his own on this team. Best player in the bubble last year and he’s been great so far this season. You can see a change in his demeanor and confidence.

Was glad to see Berube finally go off on the officiating. That penalty they called on Scandella to give the Knights a 5 on 3 and essentially the game tying goal was horrid. Been like that all season.....not just against the Blues but across the league. Piss poor officiating.

Yeah, that was bad last night. It was like the refs came in pissed off and wanted to call anything and everything on both teams. It wasn't even lopsided. Both teams got called for penalties that weren't.

It is definitely great to see Faulk doing well, and Kyrou is impressing me more and more every time I see him, but they need to tighten up on defense. I know Vegas is loaded, but there is no excuse to get outshot that badly.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2021, 11:23:09 PM »
I was waiting anxiously for Alexis Lafrenière's first goal, and boy was it an awesome one. The first overall pick getting his first goal as an overtime winner...I mean you can't write it any better. The Rangers have tough road to the playoffs in an absolutely stacked East division, but for now I'll enjoy this victory and Lafrenière's official arrival.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2021, 03:56:13 AM »
Another entertaining Leafs game last night, with a positive outcome.  But holy shit were there some pussy penalty calls - against both teams - each had 1 ppg from an absolutely terrible call, so I guess it's even-steven in that regard.  Pretty bad officiating though.  It's nice to see the Leafs grinding out these 1-goal victories.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2021, 05:50:53 AM »
I'm actually surprised Leafs-Oilers was as close as it was. Koskinen looks exhausted 9 games in. Something needs to change with the tenders in Edmonton, or it will be a very long shortened season.

I am excited to see the oilers retro jerseys saturday, even if it's in what i imagine will be another loss.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2021, 07:08:38 AM »
Here come the thorn in the B's side.  The Capitals have always been a struggle for the B's.  Though the B's are hot right now and it sounds like Pasta is back for the game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »
I'm actually surprised Leafs-Oilers was as close as it was. Koskinen looks exhausted 9 games in. Something needs to change with the tenders in Edmonton, or it will be a very long shortened season.

Seems like there's always a softie or two that slip by him.  He did make some very good saves and wasn't terrible - except on that first goal by Spezza.  Can't fault him for the other 3.  Isn't Smith due back in the next week or so?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »

Seems like there's always a softie or two that slip by him.  He did make some very good saves and wasn't terrible - except on that first goal by Spezza.  Can't fault him for the other 3.  Isn't Smith due back in the next week or so?
Yeah, I think Smith is back next week. He's not exactly great though lol. Through the first 20-30 games last season he had like a 2-9 record backing up Koskinen (although I suppose he was probably  considered the starter in Tippet's mind given he started opening night).

Oilers have had trouble with soft goals for years. Talbot was good for at least one muffin each game, and Koskinen seems to be no different. In the Leafs-Oilers game last week, Matthews scored from behind the goal line. I get it that he's an elite shooter, but Koskinen is a 6'9" goalie or something ridiculous. You should be able to cover the corner when you're that big.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
I get that those kinds of situations, no goalie can form a perfect seal in the corner with their shoulder/neck.  Sneaking one in there from along the goal line is a 1-in-a-hundred kind of proposition, and 99% luck.  The kind like Koskinen let in last week was just sloppy on his part to not keep his arm tight against his torso.  Those are not lucky or skill related.  It's just sloppy technique on the goalie's part.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
Well Andersen just saved Muzzin a whole bunch of grief on the highlight reel tonight. Falling down and giving the opposition a 3-1 with 15s left in the 3rd of a tied game is a recipe for ridicule on the internet

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
Ovi with a laser to beat the B's in OT.

Loved the fight of the B's coming back from a 3-0 deficit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2021, 08:18:50 PM »
Ovi with a laser to beat the B's in OT.

That was a fucking rocket.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »
Sniper.   Can't give him space.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2021, 08:44:00 PM »
Blues score three goals in the first 2:06 tonight.  5th fastest ever.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2021, 06:06:22 AM »
Blues score three goals in the first 2:06 tonight.  5th fastest ever.

Well, it was the Ducks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2021, 07:38:46 AM »
Ducks or not, I will take it.  Jordan Kyrou continues to be a major breakout star for the Blues in 2021. :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »
Ducks or not, I will take it

I would too, tbh.