Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72576 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2021, 08:38:52 PM »
Corey Crawford retires.
Yeah.... You're about 3 posts behind lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »
 :facepalm:

I read Bill's post and thought he was talking about Corey Schneider.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
All right, in light of the people that either retired (Doc. Emrick) or got fired (Roenick and Milbury), NBC Sports has injected some fresh blood to their NHL Commentary/Analysis team.  Surprisingly, they got Mike Babcock as a studio analyst.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/01/11/nbc-sports-announces-nhl-game-and-studio-commentators-for-2020-21-season/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:24:18 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
All right, in light of the people that either retired (Doc. Emrick) or got fired (Roenick and Milbury), NBC Sports has injected some fresh blood to their NHL Commentary/Analysis team.  Surprisingly, they got Mike Babcock as a studio analyst.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/01/11/nbc-sports-announces-nhl-game-and-studio-commentators-for-2020-21-season/

You can have him.  He's a good coach, but he doesn't quite have the voice or the charisma for being part of a broadcast crew... imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
Why can't they just fire Pierre McGuire? They got rid of Milbury which is a good step 1, but McGuire ruins telecasts. I can't stand him.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:48 PM »

You can have him.  He's a good coach, but he doesn't quite have the voice or the charisma for being part of a broadcast crew... imo.

Babcock can barely string together 2 coherent sentences without mumbling or sounding drunk. He likely got the job because NBC doesn't know what the fuck they're doing, and just recognized a famous hockey name. Not a big fan of Tim and Sid, but this is a well crafted tweet.

https://twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/status/1348661357734981636

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »
No Doc Emrick is gonna be rough.  He is on my Mount Rushmore of national sports announcers (leaving local ones out of the equation).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:54 PM »

Babcock can barely string together 2 coherent sentences without mumbling or sounding drunk. He likely got the job because NBC doesn't know what the fuck they're doing, and just recognized a famous hockey name. Not a big fan of Tim and Sid, but this is a well crafted tweet.

https://twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/status/1348661357734981636

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:31 PM »
No Doc Emrick is gonna be rough.  He is on my Mount Rushmore of national sports announcers (leaving local ones out of the equation).

I fuckimg hated him. My family knew that. I mocked him doing replay in a Gumshoe voice that my sister in law hated

It was poetic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2021, 08:54:19 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »
I just read that Evander Kane filed for bankruptcy lol. He's making $7M per season, has earned $53M in his career so far, but he's $90,000 short each month cause of debt.... And apparently $1.5M in gambling losses the last 2 months. 2 fucking months haha. I feel no sympathy for him whatsoever

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2021, 04:15:09 AM »
I was never much a fan of his, but wow.  That's some terrible money management.  Seems he's got a bit of an addiction problem.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2021, 06:44:17 AM »
Just fucking hire Gary Thorne and Bill Clement and bring back the National Hockey Night crew....PLLEEEAAASE!!!

Also, no celebrity who earns that much money and still goes bankrupt deserves sympathy unless he/she were abused, conned, or otherwise robbed. That's ridiculous.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2021, 06:46:32 AM »
Just fucking hire Gary Thorne and Bill Clement and bring back the National Hockey Night crew....PLLEEEAAASE!!!

I can totally get in board with this.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »
I'm ready for some hockey.  Though, it's gonna feel (and probably look) more like pre-season games for the next couple of weeks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Bring it on!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2021, 10:59:30 AM »
Super 16: Lightning edge Avalanche to open season No. 1 in power rankings

1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Vegas Golden Knights
4. St. Louis Blues
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Washington Capitals
7. Dallas Stars
8. Boston Bruins
9. Toronto Maple Leafs
10. Carolina Hurricanes
11. Vancouver Canucks
12. New York Islanders
13. Pittsburgh Penguins
14. Edmonton Oilers
15. Montreal Canadiens
16. Columbus Blue Jackets

No time to read it now, but I'm really surprised at a lot of things:
- how high Vegas and Washington are
- how low Carolina is
- that Montreal and CBJ made it
- that the Rangers didn't make it

I'm not surprised that TB and Colorado are 1-2.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
Super 16: Lightning edge Avalanche to open season No. 1 in power rankings

1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Vegas Golden Knights
4. St. Louis Blues
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Washington Capitals
7. Dallas Stars
8. Boston Bruins
9. Toronto Maple Leafs
10. Carolina Hurricanes
11. Vancouver Canucks
12. New York Islanders
13. Pittsburgh Penguins
14. Edmonton Oilers
15. Montreal Canadiens
16. Columbus Blue Jackets

No time to read it now, but I'm really surprised at a lot of things:
- how high Vegas and Washington are
- how low Carolina is
- that Montreal and CBJ made it
- that the Rangers didn't make it

I'm not surprised that TB and Colorado are 1-2.

Especially Colorado. I get it.....they've got talent out the wahzoo....but, even last year pre-covid heading into the Playoffs they were in trouble. Covid saved them and Dallas from embarrassing first round losses in the playoffs. It's one of those deals where somewhere Colorado has been anointed and they're the new 'it' team. They have an utter super star in McKinnon which it's understandable....but you have to produce when it counts and they haven't.

Vegas will be interesting to watch because there were a ton of stories before, during and after Petro was signed that the players were ticked that they were shuffling and changing things around to land Petro. They'll all say the right things but it'll be interesting to see how they play together. Petro is not a very animated leader or a person who is loud in the locker room. He's very soft spoken. The knock on him in StL in the locker room was that he was just 'boring'  He never went out with the guys.....he's a big family man and if he wasn't playing hockey he was at home. Vegas is another team with a ton of pressure to produce....lets see if they can live up to the hype.

I personally love the lack of 'respect' or whatever it is that StL gets and is getting in all the pre season stuff. I get it. Petro's gone and we brought in new guys but IMO StL got better...not worse...by passing on Petro and picking up Krug, Clifford and Hoffman. It's a new look team that's going to have some spunk and attitude. Binnington will be fine.....remember....he won 30 games last season and was playing extremely well heading into the playoffs. The covid tournament was just that....a tournament that you can't put a whole heck of a lot of stock into as far as judging where players are at. It's go time now so we shall see how this all unfolds.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm not expecting much out of the Kings.  Plenty of young guys that needs some more games at the big levels like Gabe Vilardi and the likes.  They made some low-risk, and could bring high upside moves that won't hurt this team much if it goes terribly.  It's like there are three teams that easily makes the playoffs in the West and 5 teams that are nicely craptastic where one of them got to get in.  It could be the Kings, but that's not highly.  That 4th spot probably goes to the Wilds (because they are always on the bubble kind of team that gets turfed in the first round anyway) or the Sharks (if they bounce back.  The Evander Kane going bankrupt situation is looking pretty ugly though).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:23:46 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2021, 08:04:22 PM »

Especially Colorado. I get it.....they've got talent out the wahzoo....but, even last year pre-covid heading into the Playoffs they were in trouble. Covid saved them and Dallas from embarrassing first round losses in the playoffs. It's one of those deals where somewhere Colorado has been anointed and they're the new 'it' team. They have an utter super star in McKinnon which it's understandable....but you have to produce when it counts and they haven't.

Vegas will be interesting to watch because there were a ton of stories before, during and after Petro was signed that the players were ticked that they were shuffling and changing things around to land Petro. They'll all say the right things but it'll be interesting to see how they play together. Petro is not a very animated leader or a person who is loud in the locker room. He's very soft spoken. The knock on him in StL in the locker room was that he was just 'boring'  He never went out with the guys.....he's a big family man and if he wasn't playing hockey he was at home. Vegas is another team with a ton of pressure to produce....lets see if they can live up to the hype.

I personally love the lack of 'respect' or whatever it is that StL gets and is getting in all the pre season stuff. I get it. Petro's gone and we brought in new guys but IMO StL got better...not worse...by passing on Petro and picking up Krug, Clifford and Hoffman. It's a new look team that's going to have some spunk and attitude. Binnington will be fine.....remember....he won 30 games last season and was playing extremely well heading into the playoffs. The covid tournament was just that....a tournament that you can't put a whole heck of a lot of stock into as far as judging where players are at. It's go time now so we shall see how this all unfolds.

I get what you are saying, but I guess the Cup win took a lot of that chip off my shoulder about lack of respect.  Besides, we are still ranked pretty high and are one of the Vegas favorites, so I am not going to quibble about a few teams being ahead of us. ;)

I agree about Petro.  It felt like O'Reilly was ready to take over anyway, so I think their leadership will be just fine going forward.  Binnington I worry about simply because he is a goalie, and goalies by their very nature are fragile.  They can go from being a stud to being a clown who can't stop a beach ball in the blink of an eye.  I have no clue when Tarasenko will be back, or if he ever will, but I am anxious to see how the team does this year.  They were a juggernaut again last season before the shutdown, so we'll see if some of these personnel changes make them fall back to the pack.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2021, 08:17:45 PM »
I personally love the lack of 'respect' or whatever it is that StL gets and is getting in all the pre season stuff.

NHL.com has them #4
ESPN has them #4
Bleacher Report has them #6

Is that really disrespectful?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
I personally love the lack of 'respect' or whatever it is that StL gets and is getting in all the pre season stuff.

NHL.com has them #4
ESPN has them #4
Bleacher Report has them #6

Is that really disrespectful?

Respect probably isn’t the word. Thats why I said ‘or whatever’. They’re just easily dismissed it seems. Listen, you have to play the games. They may get toasted this year......who knows. I’m more annoyed by the anointing other teams like Colorado get while they’ve really done nothing the past few seasons. Exciting players and all but haven’t broken through yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Do you predict the Blues to have a better season than the Avs?

I would say the Bruins are getting too much love.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »

I get what you are saying, but I guess the Cup win took a lot of that chip off my shoulder about lack of respect.  Besides, we are still ranked pretty high and are one of the Vegas favorites, so I am not going to quibble about a few teams being ahead of us. ;)

I agree about Petro.  It felt like O'Reilly was ready to take over anyway, so I think their leadership will be just fine going forward.  Binnington I worry about simply because he is a goalie, and goalies by their very nature are fragile.  They can go from being a stud to being a clown who can't stop a beach ball in the blink of an eye.  I have no clue when Tarasenko will be back, or if he ever will, but I am anxious to see how the team does this year.  They were a juggernaut again last season before the shutdown, so we'll see if some of these personnel changes make them fall back to the pack.

Don’t forget that Husso was always going to be Allen’s successor in net. If he wouldn’t have been hurt Binnington doesn’t get that call up.....it’d have been him. Husso is a huge, athletic goalie who has always performed well. He’s put in his time and is probably more talented than Binnington when you get down to it. So, if Binnington fumbles at all I think it’ll be alright. But Binnington won 30 games last season and was sharper than ever heading into the playoffs. I don’t really put much stock in any players bubble performance......good or bad. It was a unique....odd situation that generally sucked all around.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

Yes. I think the Blues will win this division.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »

Yes. I think the Blues will win this division.

Alrighty then. Game 1 tonight! :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2021, 04:12:11 AM »
Gritty OTW for the Leafs last night.  Lots of sloppy play.  It was really weird to watch the amount of intensity (at times)  for what would normally have been a pre-season kind of game.  Lots of sloppy play too, and the conditioning of the players was clearly not what it would normally be.  Habs were definitely the better team for the first half minutes, but the Leafs clawed their way back.  Anderson looked kinda ordinary, but made a couple of big saves in OT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »

Don’t forget that Husso was always going to be Allen’s successor in net. If he wouldn’t have been hurt Binnington doesn’t get that call up.....it’d have been him. Husso is a huge, athletic goalie who has always performed well. He’s put in his time and is probably more talented than Binnington when you get down to it. So, if Binnington fumbles at all I think it’ll be alright. But Binnington won 30 games last season and was sharper than ever heading into the playoffs. I don’t really put much stock in any players bubble performance......good or bad. It was a unique....odd situation that generally sucked all around.

Very true.  :tup :tup

And wait, the Blues won last night?  How could they possibly defeat the juggernaut otherwise known as the Avalanche?? :P

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2021, 08:36:35 PM »
Took all of 2 games for McDavid to get his first hat trick of the season. Ridiculous

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2021, 06:55:20 AM »
Poor Thatcher Demko... gets thrown to the Oilers who just got the 'Torts' treatment from their coach (albeit a little toned down).

I hadn't really thought about it until the Leafs/Habs broadcast crew mentioned it, but given the format of the league this year, EVERY game matters.  EVERY game is a 4-point swing against an opponent that will fighting for the same playoff spot you're fighting for.  No one is really out of contention until the very end.  A 4-5 game streak (winning or losing) will make a huge impact - at anypoint in the season.  And anyone who goes on an 8-10 game streak (again, win or lose) is gonna be in great/shit shape because of it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »

I hadn't really thought about it until the Leafs/Habs broadcast crew mentioned it, but given the format of the league this year, EVERY game matters.  EVERY game is a 4-point swing against an opponent that will fighting for the same playoff spot you're fighting for.  No one is really out of contention until the very end.  A 4-5 game streak (winning or losing) will make a huge impact - at anypoint in the season.  And anyone who goes on an 8-10 game streak (again, win or lose) is gonna be in great/shit shape because of it.

I was talking to some buddies about this. It’s going to make for an exciting season. Basically playoff style hockey every game.....even the bottom tier teams know they can steal a playoff spot by cranking it up a notch.

If you lose 5-6 in a row I think your toast. Consistency is going to be the key.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
Similar to the 48 game season. Chicago went something like 24-1 to start and had the division clinched by the halfway point.

The division-only games are going to make it crazier though, no doubt. And I don't think a 5 game losing streak will tank anyone unless it happens late in the season (or is followed up with another losing streak soon after).

Anyone know what the plan is for playoffs? I can't imagine the border is open by May, so what do they do about the cross overs and the semi's?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
Similar to the 48 game season. Chicago went something like 24-1 to start and had the division clinched by the halfway point.

The division-only games are going to make it crazier though, no doubt. And I don't think a 5 game losing streak will tank anyone unless it happens late in the season (or is followed up with another losing streak soon after).

Anyone know what the plan is for playoffs? I can't imagine the border is open by May, so what do they do about the cross overs and the semi's?

Well, I mean.  At least, Canada is ok for the first two rounds since the final 4 is structured where 1 Canadian team will make the final 4 since it will be those that made it out of their division playoffs.  I imagine when they go down to 4, they probably will have another bubble that would lasts roughly 2-3 weeks, since the previous bubble worked so well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »
Kaprizov may be a budding star for The Wild.

How much that helps them win? remains to be seen.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
If you lose 5-6 in a row I think your toast. Consistency is going to be the key.

One good/bad streak won't make or break anyone.  A 2nd good/bad streak will.  Remember, Buffalo went 8-1-1 to start the season last year, but then had two 6-game winless streaks (and iirc, multiple big streaks in 2018/19).

As for the final-4, that's gonna be tricky.  One bubble might be ideal (playing the semis on off-setting nights), but I think the league is hoping the situation as a whole with the pandemic would not have tight restrictions on travel, cros--country or not... and maybe even allow for fans-in-stands.  The semis aren't until what, June timeframe???  so between all the vaccinations (hopefully) across both countries by then, one would think (hope) the situation is a better as a whole.