Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73305 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #980 on: May 21, 2021, 08:46:58 PM »
I always say that goalies should keep their butts in the crease most of the time.  Look at the OT goal the other night by Boston.  And that crap just now.  Oy.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #981 on: May 21, 2021, 09:12:51 PM »
I weep for you guys.  Nothing has gone the Blues' way in the 2nd, except for that short-handed goal just now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #982 on: May 21, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
Nope. I guess it's a bit of justice that the Blues scored a short-hander after the Avs got away with a subtle goalie interference to make it 3-0 (I have seen far less called goalie interference), but it's just delaying the inevitable. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #983 on: May 22, 2021, 07:29:49 AM »
Well, the officiating has been lopsided, but I am not making excuses.  My posts from earlier this month demonstrated that I thought the Blues would have a tough time beating the Avs, and that was when the hope was that they'd be healthy (not missing Perron, Faulk and Bortuzzo).  Without those guys, they literally have zero chance.  It would be nice to see these games called more evenly, but it is what it is.  Sometimes the calls go your way, and sometimes they do not.  I look forward to enjoying the rest of these playoffs with no stress.  :tup :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #984 on: May 23, 2021, 04:44:56 AM »
THAT was the Leafs team everyone was expecting.  As I said earlier, everything went well for the Habs in game 1, and they still only had a 2-1 win.  They were the better team in the 1st last night (holy crap their forecheck was amazing), but still came out of the period at 1-1.  The Leafs PP looked strong in game 1, but finally converted last night (first time since early March it scores 2 goals in one game).  What the hell was Ducharme thinking about challenging that goal??  The HNIC broadcast seemed to think it was Bergevin influenced the decision to make the call down to the bench.  Having to kill 4 penalties in one period sure will take a team out of it's gameplan.

Must-win for Edmonton tonight.

Even a bigger must-win for the Blues and Caps.

What's with that injury to Kuch??  Hardly looks like anything more than a love tap from Duclair.  Look, I really like Kuch as a player (he's exciting as hell to watch), and never want anyone to get injured ... but that would absolutely be karma to the team if he misses any time.  What the Bolts did to manipulate the cap thru his LTIR (it sure seemed like he was healthy and could've played before game 1 of the playoffs) is likely going to force the league to put some kind of provisions in place so that shit like that doesn't happen again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: May 23, 2021, 07:01:57 AM »
Yeah, the Leafs owned that game. Who has better hands that Auston Matthews?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: May 23, 2021, 07:06:25 AM »
Yeah, the Leafs owned that game. Who has better hands that Auston Matthews?

He was on a mission last night.  Best player on the ice by far.

I'm curious to see if Campbell will play both games 3 and 4, given they area back-to-back.  I have no doubt that Price will.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #987 on: May 23, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »
I didn't think that the Hurricanes/Predators series would be tied going into game 5, but the Predators have pushed their way back into this thing.  Winning their last two games at home in double OT in both games should be a huge confidence booster for them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #988 on: May 23, 2021, 05:44:05 PM »
Tim, you hate Jack on that pathetic call?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #989 on: May 23, 2021, 05:50:22 PM »
Not that it impacted the end result, but...

Krug gets high sticked in the face in the 3rd period.  No blood.  Two minute penalty.

MacKinnon gets high sticked in the face in the 3rd period. No blood.  Four minute penalty.

You can't make that up.  :lol :lol :lol :lol

The results won't show it, but the Blues fought to the end and did as well as could be expected considering they were missing three starting defensemen, their best PK and their top scorer.  They literally had no chance to win this series.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #990 on: May 23, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »

Krug gets high sticked in the face

A guy can't raise his stick above his knees without sticking Krug in the face. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #991 on: May 23, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »

I'm watching on USA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #992 on: May 23, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »

Krug gets high sticked in the face

A guy can't raise his stick above his knees without sticking Krug in the face. ;D

Pretty sure he took more high sticks this series than he scored goals all season.  :lol :facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: May 23, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »

I'm watching on USA.

I just found out it was in there. That was not a penalty.  The trip of OVI was for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #994 on: May 23, 2021, 06:40:58 PM »

I'm watching on USA.

I just found out it was in there. That was not a penalty.  The trip of OVI was for sure.

You talking about the Marchand penalty? That was right after Wilson tried to decapitate another guy!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: May 23, 2021, 07:07:04 PM »
Yeah. I've never seen a shoulder check from a short guy called roughing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #996 on: May 23, 2021, 07:44:49 PM »
AND THEY'RE SHAKING HANDS IN WASHINGTON!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: May 23, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »
Onto Pens/Isles!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #998 on: May 23, 2021, 07:49:57 PM »
Which of those two teams, Pens/Isles, do you guys feel most confident in the Bruins taking on?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: May 23, 2021, 07:58:23 PM »
Pens always scare me but early on this season the Isles owned us.

That changed late in the season so the Penns scare me.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1000 on: May 23, 2021, 08:01:54 PM »
The Oil have just blown a 3 goal, 3rd  period lead. If they get swept in this series, it's well deserved.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1001 on: May 23, 2021, 08:03:15 PM »
The B's were 3-3-2 against the Islanders.
They were 5-3 against the Pens.

They played better against Pittsburgh early in the year and not so much late.
They couldn't beat the Isles early but played much better against them down the stretch.

They've matched up pretty well against Pittsburgh over the last few years. But I'll be honest, the Jeff Carter addition scares me. I think I'd rather see the Isles, but I don't think it matters. I like their chances against either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1002 on: May 23, 2021, 08:04:58 PM »
The Oil have just blown a 3 goal, 3rd  period lead. If they get swept in this series, it's well deserved.

Switching over now. I checked in after the Bruins finished, and it looked out of hand lol, so I decided to watch the Bruins post game.

On what planet is Mike Smith a winning goalie?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1003 on: May 23, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »

Switching over now. I checked in after the Bruins finished, and it looked out of hand lol, so I decided to watch the Bruins post game.

The tying goal was brutal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1004 on: May 23, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »
The Caps never recovered from that crushing goal in OT in Game 3.  Boston's first goal tonight showed that the Caps were not all-in to try and win (no player should be able to make that move and go across the front of the crease and score in a playoff game with no resistance from the defensemen).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: May 24, 2021, 04:29:33 AM »

The tying goal was brutal

That game was pretty much a replica of '13 Leafs/Bruins Game 7.  This is why I feared Winnipeg... but I thought that the Oil would continue to own them like they did in the regular season.  The Oil just aren't deep enough, don't have a well-rounded defensive game, and, well... what Tim said above.

As Gorilla would say ... stick a fork in them, they're done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1006 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:16 PM »
Jarry just took the lead for most hideous turnover by a goalie in these playoffs in OT that led to the other team's GWG.  Oof.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:41 AM »
Wow.  No kidding.

Never would've thought the Oil would get swept.  They can try to take solace in the fact that 3 games were OT and could've gone either way, but given how Winnipeg was playing down the stretch, this has to be considered a big disappointment at best, and a failure at worst.  Can't exactly lay the blame on Smith, but they need a tier-1 goalie, and some more depth up front, and more meat on the blueline.  At least realignment (back to normal) should make it a fairly easy task to make the top-3 of the division.

Hard fought win by the Leafs - outshot 15-2 in the 3rd, with some very tense moments in the final minute.  Back at it tonight!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1008 on: May 25, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »
Re: Oilers, Kenny "Trades are hard!" Holland should've gone all in.  Mike Smith in goal was going to turn into a pumpkin at some point.  Should've traded for Bernier!  He put up respectable numbers behind a terrible Detroit defense, and kept them in games they had no business being in.  Oh well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1009 on: May 25, 2021, 05:42:44 AM »
Jarry just took the lead for most hideous turnover by a goalie in these playoffs in OT that led to the other team's GWG.  Oof.

No kidding.  That pass was right on the stick of Bailey.  What"s even more amazing is that he had a safe pass to a teammate available.  What a brain fart!  Islanders forecheck messed him up!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: May 25, 2021, 05:54:15 AM »
Re: Oilers, Kenny "Trades are hard!" Holland should've gone all in.  Mike Smith in goal was going to turn into a pumpkin at some point.  Should've traded for Bernier!  He put up respectable numbers behind a terrible Detroit defense, and kept them in games they had no business being in.  Oh well.

If they really want to screw up their cap, I'm sure Florida would love to unload Bobs - Chiarelli would've done it!   :lol

Florida's got a gem in Spencer Knight.  Amazing for a 20-year old to play that way!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1011 on: May 25, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »

If they really want to screw up their cap, I'm sure Florida would love to unload Bobs - Chiarelli would've done it!   :lol

Florida's got a gem in Spencer Knight.  Amazing for a 20-year old to play that way!

Chiarelli would have said, "you want Nugent-Hopkins for Bob?  I'll do you one better, how about Draisaitl?  And I'm not taking no for an answer!"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: May 25, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »

Chiarelli would have said, "you want Nugent-Hopkins for Bob?  I'll do you one better, how about Draisaitl?  And I'm not taking no for an answer!"

Plus an unconditional 1st round pick!  (which they promptly finish out of the playoffs, and the Panthers get a top 10 pick!)

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the Oil organization, they built this deck of cards.  Shows a lot of faith in your bottom d-pair when Nurse plays over an hour of on-ice minutes, and 15+ in the 1st overtime.  The Leafs finally 'got it' last year, and built a solid top-6.  Hell, Bagosian and Sandin (their bottom pairing) were on the ice defending the 6-on-5 at the end of the game.

I do have sympathy for their fans, and McDavid.

If you told me in 2015 that both McDavid and Eichel would hate their organization, and the fact their surrounding cast are practically a men's beer league ... I would've believed you.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1013 on: May 25, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call Leon Draisaitl, arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players on the planet, beer league calibre  ;)

Goaltending is obviously an issue, but defense is a bigger problem. And having a top pair D man out all season (Klefbom) forced everyone else to play above their grade.

The reason Nurse ended up with some much ice time last night is because of the brutal play surrounding the Jets' tying goal. Ethan Bear gives it up on a terrible, dangerous pass, and, for whatever fucking reason, Slater Koekkoek decided to slide headfirst towards Wheeler (who promptly just side steps him). Those guys didn't play another shift, and Tippet basically went with 4 d the rest of the way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: May 25, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call Leon Draisaitl, arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players on the planet, beer league calibre  ;)

I was being mostly facetious.  The team is 1/2 killer; 1/2 filler.

Goaltending is obviously an issue, but defense is a bigger problem. And having a top pair D man out all season (Klefbom) forced everyone else to play above their grade.

The reason Nurse ended up with some much ice time last night is because of the brutal play surrounding the Jets' tying goal. Ethan Bear gives it up on a terrible, dangerous pass, and, for whatever fucking reason, Slater Koekkoek decided to slide headfirst towards Wheeler (who promptly just side steps him). Those guys didn't play another shift, and Tippet basically went with 4 d the rest of the way.

My point exactly.  If you don't trust 1/3 of your defense for almost a full game's worth of time, that's on the GM.  Why didn't they make a (harder) move for Jamie Oleksiak?

Schecter... what's the word on them re-signing Barrie?  Is there desire (by either side) to?