Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73274 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #875 on: May 16, 2021, 01:04:59 PM »
Currently watching NY and Pitt and I keep shaking my head, dayum, there is nothing in sports like playoff hockey.  :metal

Except maybe Olympic hockey.  :hat

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »
Kyle Palmieri finally showed up. I’ll take it.

JG Pageau was a beast.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
Perron placed in COVID status two days before playoffs.  :censored  If this isn’t a false positive then I will amend my optimism. Outside of Oreily.....he’s the most important forward we have. He finished over a point a game and has been playing great.

He’s the third Blues to hit COVID protocol in the past week. Hope this isn’t an outbreak. I doubt the league postpones the playoffs for the Blues. I believe they would if it were a couple of the darling teams but have no doubt they’ll make the Blues play the games with beer vendors and equipment managers.

Losing Perron will be brutal.

He is out for at least Game 1.  Ugh.  That is a HUGE loss. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #878 on: May 16, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »
Perron placed in COVID status two days before playoffs.  :censored  If this isn’t a false positive then I will amend my optimism. Outside of Oreily.....he’s the most important forward we have. He finished over a point a game and has been playing great.

He’s the third Blues to hit COVID protocol in the past week. Hope this isn’t an outbreak. I doubt the league postpones the playoffs for the Blues. I believe they would if it were a couple of the darling teams but have no doubt they’ll make the Blues play the games with beer vendors and equipment managers.

Losing Perron will be brutal.

He is out for at least Game 1.  Ugh.  That is a HUGE loss.

Little or no shot at winning the series if he misses the whole thing. The Blues are already down too many key guys to now have their leading scorer and heart and soul of the team plus the guy who makes the PP click gone. Not to mention his forecheck and ability to draw penalties. Just a brutal loss.

If his last name was MacKinnon, Ovechkin or Matthew’s we’d have a postponed series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #879 on: May 16, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
If his last name was MacKinnon, Ovechkin or Matthew’s we’d have a postponed series.

Your series hasn't even started and you're already talking crazy. The Caps have their #1 goalie out on Covid protocol and that series stared first.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: May 16, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »

Your series hasn't even started and you're already talking crazy. The Caps have their #1 goalie out on Covid protocol and that series stared first.

It’s the playoffs Tim. Crazy talk doesn’t wait for the puck to drop.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #881 on: May 16, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
We know Gary.  All too well.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #882 on: May 17, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »
I was all set for a 4th straight playoff game going to OT last night and then TB had to score with a minute and change left to ruin it.  :censored :censored

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #883 on: May 17, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
I was all set for a 4th straight playoff game going to OT last night and then TB had to score with a minute and change left to ruin it.  :censored :censored

I felt like that game was being played in fast-forward.  Dunnow if it was a function of the low camera angle they have in that arena, or if those two teams were just fucking flying.  Probably a bit of both, but damn that was an exciting game.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #884 on: May 17, 2021, 01:19:41 PM »

I felt like that game was being played in fast-forward.  Dunnow if it was a function of the low camera angle they have in that arena, or if those two teams were just fucking flying.  Probably a bit of both, but damn that was an exciting game.

Next game, Florida might want to cover Kucherov at the circle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: May 17, 2021, 01:53:31 PM »

Next game, Florida might want to cover Kucherov at the circle.

People have been saying that about Ovi for 15 years, and yet he still scores from there.  If it was easy, everyone would do it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #886 on: May 17, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »
Ugh, Avs get a goal on the PP minutes after one of their players got away with instigating a fight with Schenn.  Gotta love losing one of our key forwards for five minutes because the opponent instigated a fight and the officials didn't even give him an instigator penalty.

Whew, just getting that out of the way before Gary had the chance...;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #887 on: May 17, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »
Ugh, Avs get a goal on the PP minutes after one of their players got away with instigating a fight with Schenn.  Gotta love losing one of our key forwards for five minutes because the opponent instigated a fight and the officials didn't even give him an instigator penalty.

Whew, just getting that out of the way before Gary had the chance...;)

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:51 PM »
There is no "c" in Shmev, Sherlock. :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #889 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »
Silliness aside, the Avs really are a juggernaut this year.  The Blues came out with fire and had some great early chances, but once both teams settled in, the Avs dominated and the Blues were on their heels for most of the rest of the period. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
Silliness aside, the Avs really are a juggernaut this year.  The Blues came out with fire and had some great early chances, but once both teams settled in, the Avs dominated and the Blues were on their heels for most of the rest of the period.

Well....they got handed the momentum with the dive from MacKinnon. I’m more ticked at that that than the obvious instigator not being called. The AVs thrive in the PP so I’m not surprised they were handed an early PP.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #891 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:15 PM »
After two periods, this game is reminding me a lot of Game 1 between the Blues and Wild in 2017, when Jake Allen made 51 saves and the Blues managed to steal it in overtime. Colorado is clearly the superior team tonight but Binnington is absolutely on fire! Hopefully the Blues can stay out of the penalty box and Perron can make a surprise appearance and announce that he's Covid-free and ready to play!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: May 17, 2021, 10:27:59 PM »
Binnington has been incredible. He’s the only reason this game isn’t 10-1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: May 18, 2021, 05:50:54 AM »
I can't remember the last time I saw an instigator penalty for someone starting a fight after a big hit - especially one that is a borderline penalty.  Sure, Rantanen came straight across the blueline, and deserved to get nailed, but I know that you guys know how the NHL operates, and if it was the other way around (eg, O'Reilly starting a fight for Schenn getting that kind of hit), neither of you would think for one second that he should been assessed 2+5+game for that.

C'mon guys, tone down the homer-rhetoric - it's only the 1st game of the playoffs.  :lol

I tell ya, watching the North games is gonna be weird ... fan-less and all.  Having seen a few games now with 25%-50% of fans in attendance, going back to an empty arena will be bizarre.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: May 18, 2021, 06:05:25 AM »
Binnington has been incredible. He’s the only reason this game isn’t 10-1

I couldn't stay awake for the 3rd period (which looks like a good thing), but it being 1-1 after two was a minor miracle.  Binnington played out of his mind; that save on the 2 on none was an all-timer. And it was all for naught.  :(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: May 18, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »
C'mon guys, tone down the homer-rhetoric - it's only the 1st game of the playoffs.  :lol

I only have three more games left to spout it though  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:17 AM »

Well, at least we know you still have a firm grasp on reality!  Nah, I think Binnington will steal one, and/or maybe the Avs will lay a turd.  I don't think it'll be a sweep.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: May 18, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »

Well, at least we know you still have a firm grasp on reality!  Nah, I think Binnington will steal one, and/or maybe the Avs will lay a turd.  I don't think it'll be a sweep.

The Blues were already having to overcome the loss of a couple key players......add in Perron being out who drives the PP, forecheck and led the team in scoring it's just the straw that broke the camels back IMO.

I think they'll give as good as effort as they can and make it a tough series for the AVs....I just don't see how they can beat them. We HAVE to capitalize on the chances we get and Tarasenko hits the post on a wide open side from 5 foot and Hoffman drags his feet on an open net allowing the D to block his tuck attempt. You gotta bury your chances and the Blues don't have players that can do that.

Binnington was awesome but when you face 52 shots as high as caliber as he was facing two or three are going to go in.

As far as the complaining about the refs....I was happy to listen to an analyst on NHL Today confirm what I was complaining about. The call when MacKinnon flopped when he was touched was BS.....and ticky tack or not that should have been instigating. He basically said what I was thinking....it's going to be tough to beat the AVs and the refs so hopefully the officiating evens out a bit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: May 18, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »
Blaming the refs is the hall-mark of every great team and coach.  ::)   Gary, you know I love you like a brother ... but you slay me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #899 on: May 18, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
Fast forward a couple of nights... :lol

I can't believe that bullshit call on Matthews.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: May 18, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
Blaming the refs is the hall-mark of every great team and coach.  ::)   Gary, you know I love you like a brother ... but you slay me.

Thankfully the pro's don't use the excuse.....well the majority of them.

At this point I feel like it's my responsibility to the NHL thread and all mankind to bring up the obvious bias in the NHL officiating.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #901 on: May 18, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »
You're performing a service.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #902 on: May 18, 2021, 03:40:20 PM »
Missed calls happen, and I do think some officials have the tendency to try to even it out, like if one team has had three penalties in a row, they are more likely to call something ticky-tack on the other team to try and even it out, but I doubt any go into a game thinking, "I want to screw/help team X."

That said, those clowns who blew it two years ago and allowed the Sharks OT goal after the hand pass to stand can still burn in hell.  :biggrin: :biggrin: (My ire for that would still be 100 times worse had the Blues ended up losing that series)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #903 on: May 18, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »

Well, honestly, a great team and a coach can't blame the refs if they have been rightfully wronged, or else, they get risked being fined.  Here's one example from last year below.  Heck, the Rangers got fined $250k for making their public statement on Twitter regarding the Department of Safety after the recent Tom Wilson incident.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29648419/hurricanes-rod-brindamour-fined-25k-criticizing-officials-game-1-loss

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: May 18, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »
Fast forward a couple of nights... :lol

I can't believe that bullshit call on Matthews.

Your point?

Thankfully the pro's don't use the excuse.....well the majority of them.

At this point I feel like it's my responsibility to the NHL thread and all mankind to bring up the obvious bias in the NHL officiating.  :biggrin:

Not all heroes wear capes.

Missed calls happen, and I do think some officials have the tendency to try to even it out, like if one team has had three penalties in a row, they are more likely to call something ticky-tack on the other team to try and even it out, but I doubt any go into a game thinking, "I want to screw/help team X."

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #905 on: May 18, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »
Which is no way to call a game. If one team is taking more liberties,  then they should be penalized more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #906 on: May 18, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
^^ Yep, I agree, but for some reason, the refs don't see it that way more often than not, it seems, and then you got that Tim Peel controversy.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: May 19, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
I want to amend my stance, as my brain went in a different direction.  I don't think refs should be trying to call an "equal" amount of penalties, but they should be "equitable".  For instance, if they realize they fucked up a penalty call, then I don't have an issue giving an 'even up' penalty on a marginal call.  If one team gets one or two penalties in OT, you know the other team is going to be under a microscope, and the refs are more apt to not let something borderline slide.

At the end of it all, the stripes don't want to be the ones under the microscope themselves, and be seen as the deciding factor in any game.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #908 on: May 19, 2021, 08:01:08 AM »
Which is no way to call a game. If one team is taking more liberties,  then they should be penalized more.
Agreed. I remember back in the Vancouver-Boston cup final where Dave Nonis came out at a presser after a game to bitch about the differences in penalties between the 2 teams. The answer is pretty simple: don't take penalties!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: May 19, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
Did the entire North Division get a first round bye?? When are the playoffs starting up there? Jeesh!