Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73069 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #805 on: May 07, 2021, 08:32:56 AM »
Also, with McDavid chasing 100pts they won't cut his season short just because Calgary and Vancouver are dumpster fires

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: May 07, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »
I think they'll end up moving the Canadian team to the US for round 3. I just can't imagine our Feds allowing a pro sports team to fly in and out while covid is running rampant up here, and especially in Alberta and Ontario.

Well, that's still a month away.  A lot can change in a month.

Another issue is whether US teams/organizations would want to come into Canada as a measure of (un)safety.  Frankly the bigger risk is already *in* Canada, not bringing something in from the US.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: May 07, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
Also, with McDavid chasing 100pts they won't cut his season short just because Calgary and Vancouver are dumpster fires

Fair... so they don't scrap the Edm game.  And jingle.daughter made a good point - the playoffs could start even with the final 3 Van/Cgy games still to play.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #808 on: May 07, 2021, 10:23:56 AM »
Yeah Chad.  I agree on the B's.  They are firing on all cylinders right now. Rask seems healthy and playing well and the rookie Swayman has been excellent.  Hall has played well with Krejci.  Their weakness is last 2 lines.  Not as strong as it has been in the past.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #809 on: May 07, 2021, 02:56:21 PM »
I think they'll end up moving the Canadian team to the US for round 3. I just can't imagine our Feds allowing a pro sports team to fly in and out while covid is running rampant up here, and especially in Alberta and Ontario.

Well, that's still a month away.  A lot can change in a month.

Another issue is whether US teams/organizations would want to come into Canada as a measure of (un)safety.  Frankly the bigger risk is already *in* Canada, not bringing something in from the US.
Oh I'm well aware that the bigger issue with covid is on our side of the border right now. I live in fucking 'berta. The only place on the planet with more covid than us is India.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #810 on: May 09, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »
I am setting the Over/Under on how many playoff games the Blues will win at 1.5.

And I'd probably take the Under.

They might squeeze out one win against Vegas in the first round, but that's it.  Yeah, yeah, "just get into the playoffs and anything can happen," but I've seen enough out of this team to know that they are going to be a quick out later this month.

Time to watch 2019 clips again on YT, I guess... :lol :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: May 09, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »
While a few things could technically change, I think the playoff seedings are all but set.  I don't see the Avs catching the Knights (or the Wild catching the Avs for that matter); same with Isles/Bruins.  If anything, the Jets could drop below Montreal, which would be very disappointing.  I'm always fearful of a team on a slump, and Helly is the kind of goalie that can steal a game or two over the course of a series.

Predictions in a few days.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: May 09, 2021, 09:38:02 AM »
Does anyone have a definitive source as to how the Conference finals will go?  I found one site that illustrated a bracket showing the North and East winners will face each other, and the West/Central in the other final.  Is that for sure, or is the league re-ranking?

Also, Leafs players are getting their first vaccine shots today.  Hopefully they're all right by Wednesday.  Not that these two games mean anything.  I'm kinda hoping they give Anderson both starts, so that he can get back into NHL level gameplay.  I got a feeling he's going to be the backup to Campbell out of the gate.  No reason NOT to give Jack the starting role.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #813 on: May 09, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »
I am setting the Over/Under on how many playoff games the Blues will win at 1.5.

And I'd probably take the Under.

They might squeeze out one win against Vegas in the first round, but that's it.  Yeah, yeah, "just get into the playoffs and anything can happen," but I've seen enough out of this team to know that they are going to be a quick out later this month.

Time to watch 2019 clips again on YT, I guess... :lol :lol

Im not as pessimistic. I think that the Championship experience the Blues have will of not produce an ‘upset’ it will take Vegas to 7 games.

The games that Vegas has beat us in the past few years....outside of one this season when we were in a funk.....have all been close games.

I think it’ll be a hard fought series and that the Blues have every chance to win it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: May 09, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »
Does anyone have a definitive source as to how the Conference finals will go?  I found one site that illustrated a bracket showing the North and East winners will face each other, and the West/Central in the other final.  Is that for sure, or is the league re-ranking?

The league is ranking the final 4 teams by regular season point totals.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/nhl-nhlpa-season-start-agreement/c-319846262
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: May 09, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

The league is ranking the final 4 teams by regular season point totals.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/nhl-nhlpa-season-start-agreement/c-319846262

There ya go!  I think that's the right way, since there are no "conferences", only divisions with this year's alignment.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: May 09, 2021, 01:33:00 PM »
That didn’t take long. Both Tocchet and Torts are not getting renewed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: May 09, 2021, 01:46:44 PM »

I didn't think there was anyway Torts was coming back. That team had way too much drama and never played well enough.

How/why did they let Josh Anderson go?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: May 09, 2021, 02:05:06 PM »

Probably just switch teams. I could see Torts taking over Arizona

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: May 10, 2021, 05:02:31 AM »

Probably just switch teams. I could see Torts taking over Arizona

Agree on the latter.  I don't see Tocchet landing anywhere - he just doesn't strike me as an NHL-caliber coach (yet).  As for Anderson, I think he needed a change of scene.  Jarmo got the losing end on both his 'big' deals.  Domi has been a big disappointment, and Anderson is the #2 goal-scorer in Mtl.  Laine (other than a handful of excellent plays) has been a steaming turd.  For a 'pure' goal scorer, he didn't score that much - 1 goals, and a brutal -29 with the Jackets.  The latter is worst on the team - by a large margin (ironically, over Domi  :lol)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »
Apparently, when it came to Laine, Torts had a different idea of how he wants to utilized Laine than how Laine was utilized effectively with the Jets.  I think a lot of people knew that when this trade happened, Torts and Laine was not going to be on the same page with a lot of stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: May 10, 2021, 11:51:36 AM »
There's been a bit of a disconnect between myself and the organization. It's been tough at times. Right now, for me, the most important thing now is to try to get healthy, figure out a way to be available to play hockey next year, wherever that might be.

-- Jack Eichel

So, where's he gonna land next year?  Who needs that kind of player, and has the right assets/cap space to give up?  Disregarding the latter for the moment (cuz I have no idea the machinations that would need to be involved), San Jose sure as shit needs some offense.  He could be a missing link that REALLY puts the Rangers over the top.  Isles could use a marquee name.  So could Ottawa, and they've got a ton of young talent (NHL and minors) that could be offered up if Buffalo wants to rebuild.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »
The Kings have the prospects/picks/expandable roster players/cap space to get Eichel.  I wouldn't want them to do it though.  Although, if they can sucker punch Buffalo into retaining some cap space, and the Kings give up whatever minor pieces and still end up keeping Byfield/Vilardi, it may be tempting.

Eichel is probably going to the Rangers if he gets traded.  They do not look like they are horribly locked into some bad contracts long-term (unlike the Sharks) and have the assets needed to get it done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #823 on: May 10, 2021, 07:47:33 PM »
Taylor Hall (2 goals tonight) scored a sick goal in OT. Highlight reel!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #824 on: May 11, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »

It certainly was.  Unreal goal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: May 11, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »

It certainly was.  Unreal goal.

Yeah, that one was filthy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: May 11, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »
Interesting and opposite approaches by the B's and Caps in tonight's season finale. They're meeting each other in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Tonight the B's are sitting everyone,. They're basically the Providence Bruins and the Caps, other than Oshie, appear to be playing all of their regulars.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #827 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:09 PM »
Interesting and opposite approaches by the B's and Caps in tonight's season finale. They're meeting each other in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Tonight the B's are sitting everyone,. They're basically the Providence Bruins and the Caps, other than Oshie, appear to be playing all of their regulars.

Nothing like having to face Chara in the 1st round, eh? ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #828 on: May 12, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
Here's your future trivia question answer:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #829 on: May 12, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »
Well, looking at the scoreboards today.  Yeesshhhh, the Kings and Sharks got both slaughtered by the Avs and Golden Knights.  Both games ended 6-0.  I think both Sharks and Kings are done for the season, mentally.  Well, the Sharks are officially done.  The Kings still have to go through one more game against the Avs.  I think no matter what, based on standings by slim margins, the Kings have reclaimed the best team in California title (which has horrifyingly depreciated in value over the last few years).  Just let me have this one. 

There were some ok moments in that season, which included a 6 game winning streak and Kopitar making it to 1000 points in the NHL, but yeah...., not much gelling as a team.  There was a lot of shuffling in the bottom nine lines when it was mainly Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown for the most part of the season as a constant first line.  Hopefully, some solid moves can be made in the offseason and hopefully, the team can have some solid lines that can stick well, and hopefully, some of those promising AHL forward prospects can do well enough at training camp to crack a roster spot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:10:52 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #830 on: May 13, 2021, 06:55:49 AM »
Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m rooting for LA tonight. I quite like Vegas and it would be cool to see a team win the President’s Trophy in its fourth season. Keep setting the bar higher for expansion teams.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: May 13, 2021, 07:01:02 AM »
Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m rooting for LA tonight. I quite like Vegas and it would be cool to see a team win the President’s Trophy in its fourth season. Keep setting the bar higher for expansion teams.

Nah. Vegas’ coach Pete Debore is a massive cry baby who whines about everything. I’d hate to see him get such an honor. It’ll be fitting for him to tie for the lead then lose out by a tie break.

As a Blues fan....I don’t care which team they play because they’ve been playing great the last few weeks and it’ll be a fun series to ‘upset’ someone.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #832 on: May 13, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »

Nah. Vegas’ coach Pete Debore is a massive cry baby who whines about everything. I’d hate to see him get such an honor. It’ll be fitting for him to tie for the lead then lose out by a tie break.

As a Blues fan....I don’t care which team they play because they’ve been playing great the last few weeks and it’ll be a fun series to ‘upset’ someone.

All I’m gonna say is be careful what you wish for, although odds are the road to the SCF for the Blues goes through both Vegas and Denver.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: May 13, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »

All I’m gonna say is be careful what you wish for, although odds are the road to the SCF for the Blues goes through both Vegas and Denver.

Well of course. The AVs and Vegas are really good teams. But then again, take a look at all the first round match ups and literally any one of the teams could win them. Especially in this format of the top 4 teams playing....there are no guarantees or 'easy' teams. These are all going to be hard fought series across the board. People said that the covid tournament last year was the 'toughest' cup to win.....I'd wager this one is WAY more tough given the format and the skill of the teams that are in it. That covid tournament was what it was.....a league scratching it's way anyway it could to get a product out....but I don't think it was the 'toughest' cup to win.

I'll take my chances with whomever the Blues play. They've played both teams well this season with most of the games being one goal losses. I like the experience of the Blues in the playoff situation . Of course then it comes down to who's goalie is going to make the saves they shouldn't AND make all the saves they should. So, it'll be interesting for sure.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: May 13, 2021, 08:14:06 AM »
Just reading that the AVs are resting a lot of players tonight. I’d rather play Minnesota than the Blues as well. Curious to see their effort tonight.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #835 on: May 13, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »
^^ Oh swell, that probably means they will only win 3-2 instead of 6-0 against the Kings today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #836 on: May 13, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »
Yep, the Avs will likely tank tonight to ensure playing the Wild in the first round.

Gary, you are far more optimistic about the Blues chances than I am. Let's hope I am wrong and you are correct.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: May 13, 2021, 09:17:58 AM »
Yep, the Avs will likely tank tonight to ensure playing the Wild in the first round.

Gary, you are far more optimistic about the Blues chances than I am. Let's hope I am wrong and you are correct.

I just like the way certain players have been playing heading into the playoffs. It was a brutal season given all the injuries we had but they have managed to right the ship and are playing a team game right now. With the Championship experience they have and the right guys playing well....all I know is I wouldn’t be excited about drawing them the first round. It’s not going to be an easy series to win against them.

Vegas and Colorado have really good teams. But you still have to execute when it counts. If they do then they’ll be tough to beat. But if their butts pucker and they start feeling the pressure then we will see what their made of. The majority of the Blues squad has proven they can handle the pressure of the Cup run. I think that’s just as valuable as anything else.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: May 13, 2021, 09:24:58 AM »
I really don't have faith in any of the 4th-seeded teams.  Other than the Isles, they are all (on a points basis) a case of the 'cream of the crap' of their division.  On the other hand, all of the 2-3 matchups look very close (assuming the Jets can get their heads out of their collective asses).

I'd hate to be a Calgary or Vancouver fan or player.  Four absolutely lame-duck games in the next week.  I can't see anyone putting out a full/intense effort - no one's gonna want to get hurt or injured.

Vegas and Colorado have really good teams. But you still have to execute when it counts. If they do then they’ll be tough to beat. But if their butts pucker and they start feeling the pressure then we will see what their made of. The majority of the Blues squad has proven they can handle the pressure of the Cup run. I think that’s just as valuable as anything else.

Not every great team is like the '14 or '15 Blues.  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: May 13, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »
Kinda pissed at the NHL for not starting the North series' until next Wed/Thu, and then forcing a back-to-back for both between games 3 and 4.  Why the fuck don't they just start them sooner, since the Van/Cgy games have NO IMPACT OR BEARING on the playoffs.  I can only think it has to do with TV revenue.