Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73273 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2021, 09:39:45 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Last night was probably the final nail in the coffin for this Rangers season.

Guaranteed.  If they had swept the home/home vs the Isles, they may have had a chance of catching THEM instead of the Bruins.  No chance to catch either now.  Too bad, they've been red hot lately.  In 2-3 years, Rangers will be leading the Metro once all the stars in DC and Pitt age-out.

The cynic in me expects them to screw it up, but I’m trying to be optimistic about the future.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #772 on: April 30, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »
Just don't bring over Pierre McGuire.
They already did. No joke

Ah see... we're off to a bad start here.  What's next?  Red and blue streaks?

Nope... THIS is what's next!  :lolpalm:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tnt-botches-nhl-promotion-mistakes-andrew-ference-for-connor-mcdavid-154003252.html

The follow-up after that picture was Shaq trying to name three NHL teams.  I had a good laugh on that one.

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1387265461595742212

Now in all fairness, if you ask me to name three NBA players currently in the league outside of Curry and Lebron, I wouldn't know anyone.  In hindsight, a better question to test Shaq would have been to name three NHL players in the league.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:55:25 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »
Just don't bring over Pierre McGuire.
They already did. No joke

Ah see... we're off to a bad start here.  What's next?  Red and blue streaks?

Nope... THIS is what's next!  :lolpalm:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tnt-botches-nhl-promotion-mistakes-andrew-ference-for-connor-mcdavid-154003252.html

The follow-up after that picture was Shaq trying to name three NHL teams.  I had a good laugh on that one.

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1387265461595742212

Yeah, I saw that.  "California Kings".  FFS dude!!!  YOU PLAYED IN THE SAME FUCKING ARENA FOR 8 YEARS!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: May 01, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
As usual, the Blues are incapable of hitting an empty net when the other team has their goalie pulled, and naturally the Wild then score and tie it up.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #775 on: May 01, 2021, 08:38:09 PM »
And they lose in OT... :censored :censored

Oh well, I guess I can't be too unhappy since they got 5 out of a possible 6 points in the three games at Minnesota this week.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #776 on: May 01, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »
And they lose in OT... :censored :censored

Oh well, I guess I can't be too unhappy since they got 5 out of a possible 6 points in the three games at Minnesota this week.

They got dicked. That icing right before the Wild scored was not an icing. If the defenseman can play the puck it shouldn’t be an icing.

Either way...like you said.....5 of 6 points and we essentially outplayed the Wild this whole game as well. If that lucky tip in goal doesn’t go in that’s game over. Oh well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #777 on: May 01, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »
If the defenseman can play the puck it shouldn’t be an icing.

I had a rant on this last week. It's bullshit. The D-men don't even try and get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #778 on: May 01, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »
I like the automatic icing rule now, instead of the defensemen having to race back and touch it, but I hate how the officials just let the d-men get away too often with slowing up on pucks that shouldn't be icing and then whistle it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #779 on: May 01, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »
Right. I don't have a problem with the automatic icing, but back in the day, if the D-man showed no effort, they'd wave it off.

The other rule I hate is that if you go stick on stick on a guy, and he drops his stick, it's a penalty. WTF is "slashing the stick"? That was never a thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: May 01, 2021, 09:08:23 PM »
If the defenseman can play the puck it shouldn’t be an icing.

I had a rant on this last week. It's bullshit. The D-men don't even try and get it.

This instance tonight was pretty egregious. Blues clear the puck out of the zone killing a 6 on 5 and their D guy skates like a two year old and Lolly Gagged and the puck goes by him and they called icing. Pretty much BS. They tie it up while in the zone on off that face off. Maybe they score no matter what but the icing call was BS.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2021, 11:45:56 PM »
Well, the Kings lost badly against the Ducks today, 2-6.  Somehow, because of the way this season's schedule works, they faced that team four times this week.  Thank goodness, that season series is over with, but that's not the point I wanted to make here.

After the game was over, the entire team decided to give a handshake to Ducks' goalie, Ryan Miller, on a career well done in probably his last home game of his career.  Obviously, the main thing I recall from him was that he had a great run as USA's starting goalie in the Vancouver games in 2010.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1388714838982004736

I even forgot he was still playing.  Heck, there's a few other players on that roster I think some people forgot are on that Ducks roster.  David Backes (on the taxi squad) and Ryan Kesler on LTIR.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: May 02, 2021, 06:03:24 AM »
Naturally, every Canadian remembers he was the one in net for the golden goal.  However, here's an example that Canadians can be savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVgp7aip3w

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2021, 06:00:38 PM »
Typical Bruins Devils game tonight. B's outshoot them 17-4 in the 1st. They've had two 40 shot shutout losses against NJ this season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
A healthy Robert Thomas is such a joy to watch.  For the Blues to pull off a 1st round upset, they will need him healthy and playing like he did tonight.  Just need 4 points in the last six games to lock up the 4th spot in the West.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:38 AM »
A healthy Robert Thomas is such a joy to watch.  For the Blues to pull off a 1st round upset, they will need him healthy and playing like he did tonight.  Just need 4 points in the last six games to lock up the 4th spot in the West.

Yep. He has elite skill. Has had a heck of a time staying healthy this year though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
Tom Wilson could have killed Artemi Panarin. He should be suspended for the season, including playoffs, and don’t even think about asking to be reinstated until next year. There’s no place for that in the game.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »
Tom Wilson could have killed Artemi Panarin. He should be suspended for the season, including playoffs, and don’t even think about asking to be reinstated until next year. There’s no place for that in the game.
Yup. Wilson is real piece of shit. I would love to see him out of the league, and he doesn't even play in my conference so I don't have to put up with his garbage play.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #788 on: May 04, 2021, 09:44:20 AM »
Yup. Wilson is real piece of shit. I would love to see him out of the league, and he doesn't even play in my conference so I don't have to put up with his garbage play.

Sorry, but what am I missing?  The little punch he threw at the guy who was down on the ice was weak, but so was the punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2Ok4zQ0ho
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #789 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »

Sorry, but what am I missing?  The little punch he threw at the guy who was down on the ice was weak, but so was the punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2Ok4zQ0ho
You're missing the cross check to the neck on the original play, the punch to the back of the head after he goes down (from the cross check to the neck), and the body slam on Panarin that causes his head to ricochet off the ice. And don't forget about Wilson's loooong history of suspensions for being a complete, utter sack of shit (including 5+ games earlier this season).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #790 on: May 04, 2021, 10:09:49 AM »
Not defending Wilson or his history, but he didn't cross-check anyone (and certainly not Panarin) to the ice.  Buchnevich went down naturally as a result of the scrum for the puck.  I didn't miss the punch to the back of Buchnevich's head -- I expressly mentioned it in my prior post -- but like I said, it was a pretty weak punch (and, again, it doesn't have anything to do with Panarin, which was the objectionable part mentioned by TheCount).  After that, it's pretty much a standard scrum.  Is the objectionable part when Wilson picks up Panarin by the back of his shirt?  As someone who doesn't have much history watching Wilson (except for what I occasionally see on national highlights), this just doesn't look all that egregious.  It kinda looks like he's trying to pick up Panarin so that they can fight standing up, but (1) he doesn't have a great grip because he's still wearing his gloves, and (2) it looks like Panarin's skates slip, which causes him to fall back to the ice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #791 on: May 04, 2021, 10:21:50 AM »
Not defending Wilson or his history, but he didn't cross-check anyone (and certainly not Panarin) to the ice.  Buchnevich went down naturally as a result of the scrum for the puck.  I didn't miss the punch to the back of Buchnevich's head -- I expressly mentioned it in my prior post -- but like I said, it was a pretty weak punch (and, again, it doesn't have anything to do with Panarin, which was the objectionable part mentioned by TheCount).  After that, it's pretty much a standard scrum.  Is the objectionable part when Wilson picks up Panarin by the back of his shirt?  As someone who doesn't have much history watching Wilson (except for what I occasionally see on national highlights), this just doesn't look all that egregious.  It kinda looks like he's trying to pick up Panarin so that they can fight standing up, but (1) he doesn't have a great grip because he's still wearing his gloves, and (2) it looks like Panarin's skates slip, which causes him to fall back to the ice.

Considering Wilson’s history, you’re giving him way too much credit. He should have been out of the league years ago, and it’s time for the league to take action before he hurts someone more seriously.

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: May 04, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »
Really not sure how DPS thinks that was just a $5,000 (max under the CBA) fine.  If - especially given his history - that wasn't suspendible, I dunno what is.

Edit... what the Count said.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #793 on: May 04, 2021, 05:08:40 PM »
Takes a lot for me to agree with the Rangers, but don't blame them in the least for calling for George Parros' job. The NHL should take some of that new TV money and build a giant slingshot to launch Tom Wilson into the sun (and all the better if they make room for Brad Marchand while they're at it :lol)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #794 on: May 04, 2021, 05:24:33 PM »
^^ Oh, I see.  It's a public statement from the Rangers. From their Twitter.  I'm not expecting anything to be done about this, sadly.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #795 on: May 05, 2021, 01:14:57 PM »
This isn't a fun week if you are a Rangers fan.  Now, per Elliotte Friedman and other sources, the Rangers have fired John Davidson and Jeff Gorton.  Their President and GM.  With only three games left in their season.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1390015161080090627

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #796 on: May 05, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
As they are building this team into a winning team again.  Nolan is a cancer of an owner.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: May 05, 2021, 01:21:57 PM »
This isn't a fun week if you are a Rangers fan.  Now, per Elliotte Friedman and other sources, the Rangers have fired John Davidson and Jeff Gorton.  Their President and GM.  With only three games left in their season.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1390015161080090627

Wow... are you f'n kidding.  They'd be right in the playoff hunt in any other Division, and have a very bright future.  SMH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #798 on: May 05, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »
Good to see the Rangers went right after Tom Wilson from the start tonight, since the NHL was gutless and let him off the hook.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #799 on: May 05, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
In their eyes, justice demands retribution so I'm not surprised they are approaching today's game that way.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:20:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #800 on: May 05, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »
Well, may not be much coming down the stretch, but Kings won their final two games in the series against the Coyotes.  That's something.  All 4 Centers (Kopitar, Byfield, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan) got a point in today's game.  That's something.  Kopitar got his 1000th point in the NHL by winning a faceoff in their zone in the last minute that led to an empty net goal, that's also really something. 

I look at that 2005 Draft and I keep chucking and thinking to myself, "Sure, the draft is a crapshoot.  Some players that had a lot of potential didn't live up to it in the long run and other players with not a lot of buzz turned out to be amazing players."  At the same time, though, I also think thank goodness eight other teams (maybe nine depending on how you feel about Carey Price with the Habs) passed on Kopitar and the Kings nabbed him and now he's part of four guys that has scored 1000 points in a Kings' uniform.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #801 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:05 AM »
As they are building this team into a winning team again.  Nolan is a cancer of an owner.

James Dolan needs to sell both teams.

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: May 07, 2021, 06:26:18 AM »
Looks like the only thing to be decided is some seedings, and Nashville or Dallas.  Mathematically, the Flames or Canucks could catch Montreal, and the Kings could catch the Blues, but those ain't gonna happen.

Some seedings could change - Boston is on a fucking roll right now.  Then again, so is Pitt.  Isles and Caps should be worried.  Florida and Tampa could flip-flop, but I think they're guaranteed to be a 1st round matchup.  Ditto with Avs/Wild.  I'll be stunned if the Habs leapfrog the Jets.

Anyone else think that the the league might scrap the final 3 Van-Cgy games if (it's a foregone conclusion) they're both eliminated?  I mean fuck, they could even scrap the Edm game on the 15th as well if the playoff seeding is set in stone (which it likely will be), and thus wrap up the season for all four divisions on the 13th.  The Blues and Avs are the playoff bound teams with the most games to play, and they both wrap up on the 13th.  If the league can scrap Vancouver's games with Edm and the final 3 with Calgary, they could start the playoffs across the board by the weekend of the 15th.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #803 on: May 07, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »
I think the league plays them out.  What I'm more interested in seeing is how the league handles the conference finals and cup final with the border crossing that would need to happen.  Would it be weird if the Leafs win the Cup but had to play their home games in Buffalo?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #804 on: May 07, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »
I think they'll end up moving the Canadian team to the US for round 3. I just can't imagine our Feds allowing a pro sports team to fly in and out while covid is running rampant up here, and especially in Alberta and Ontario.