Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73318 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #735 on: April 27, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »
Remember how I hated Minihane openly?  ;D

I have no idea what he thought about the Sox.

I do but the point is that it's 2 polar opposites from Tommy and Jack.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #736 on: April 27, 2021, 02:09:45 PM »
Well, you mentioned talk show hosts. If we stay on calling the games, I think Cedric Maxwell's schtick is ridiculous. He needs to tone down his act, because he's actually pretty good as a color guy when he's not acting like a clown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: April 27, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
I haven't listened to the radio in a long time but yeah. I'm not a fan of the Rem Mamba as well.  Never critical.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2021, 02:37:42 PM »
I actually think Scal is EXCELLENT as a color guy. He does a great job explaining the game and what's going on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »
I'm not hating like you would to Jack but I'd like to see him be a little more honest when they are playing bad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #740 on: April 27, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »
Pierre doesn't bother me like he does for you Chad.  We have Jack Edwards.  He can numb you to any other announcers. :lol

Regarding Jack Edwards, I've been meaning to ask you or TAC on how you guys feel about Jack Edwards as an announcer.  I've watched a few clips of Bruins games with him on the play by play and my main thought was, "if I was an opposing fan of the Bruins, I would avoid watching feeds with him as the play by play."  It's not that he's a homer for the Bruins (which is fine for the local sports feed), but the little things he say just gets me a little irked a bit.

For instance, this video.

GOTTA SEE IT: Penguins Botch 3-on-0 In Overtime Followed By Bruins' Game Winner

There were a couple points there that sounded like Will Ferrell's old SNL impersonation of Harry Carey.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #741 on: April 27, 2021, 05:00:08 PM »
Pierre doesn't bother me like he does for you Chad.  We have Jack Edwards.  He can numb you to any other announcers. :lol

Regarding Jack Edwards, I've been meaning to ask you or TAC on how you guys feel about Jack Edwards as an announcer.  I've watched a few clips of Bruins games with him on the play by play and my main thought was, "if I was an opposing fan of the Bruins, I would avoid watching feeds with him as the play by play."  It's not that he's a homer for the Bruins (which is fine for the local sports feed), but the little things he say just gets me a little irked a bit.

For instance, this video.

GOTTA SEE IT: Penguins Botch 3-on-0 In Overtime Followed By Bruins' Game Winner

There were a couple points there that sounded like Will Ferrell's old SNL impersonation of Harry Carey.

OMG, this so much!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #742 on: April 27, 2021, 07:38:54 PM »
I really need the Bruins to start losing. The Rangers have a legitimate shot at the playoffs, but that won’t happen if the B’s keep winning. It’s always Boston fucking things up for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
I really need the Bruins to start losing. The Rangers have a legitimate shot at the playoffs, but that won’t happen if the B’s keep winning. It’s always Boston fucking things up for me.

It's not going to happen, and I'm not being a homer. The only reason that the Bruins are in the spot in the standings they are is because Rask was hurt, and Halak threw up on himself in Rask's absence. Halak has just been passed by youngster Jeremy Swayman..

Charlie McAvoy played his best game in weeks tonight, as he is getting healthier. He's been battling an injury for most of the second half of the year.

Next two B's games are against Buffalo. If they don't play down to them, and that's a big IF, they should be all set.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: April 27, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
When the B's play physical they are a top notch team.  They need that intensity every game.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #745 on: April 28, 2021, 06:02:53 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31346196

NHL signs 7-year deal with Turner Sports, giving them 3 Stanley Cup Finals.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: April 28, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »

Join the fucking club!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: April 28, 2021, 06:29:35 AM »
Reading this pleases me.  LOL  B's looked sharp last night.  When they are engaged they play a physical game that's hard to beat.  The focus has not been there all year though. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #748 on: April 28, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »
Boston’s win against Pittsburgh more or less puts the playoffs out of reach for the Rangers. The Islanders and Bruins play two games each against the Sabres and Devils before finishing the season against each other. Those four games should get them the eight points needed to push them past the Rangers.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #749 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
Holy jumpin'!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #750 on: April 28, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Holy jumpin'!!

Please. For the love all of things holy.....don’t say that anymore. I loathe Pang at this point. Homer of all homers.....it was cute when he first got here but it’s about time for a refresh.

But yes......gutsy, awesome comeback to bear a red hot team.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: April 28, 2021, 07:55:36 PM »
Haha, he does overuse that phrase, but I still like Pang a lot.

Epic win.  I don't have a lot of hope that they can beat Vegas, who looks unstoppable lately, but this is a fun stretch.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #752 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
Panger!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: April 28, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
Haha, he does overuse that phrase, but I still like Pang a lot.

Epic win.  I don't have a lot of hope that they can beat Vegas, who looks unstoppable lately, but this is a fun stretch.

They’re playing well. If they stay in that 4th spot and keep playing like this I wouldn’t want to play them in the first round.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: April 29, 2021, 05:48:09 AM »
Saw the highlights last night.  Wow, that was a sweet W for the Blues.   :tup

Also saw an interesting stat .... the Leafs have been in 1st for 97 days - longer than any other division leader this year.  Looks like there's a good chance they'll end the season that way, and the Habs (certainly based on last night's play) don't look like a tough matchup.

The Oil on the other hand ....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: April 29, 2021, 07:14:11 AM »
Saw the highlights last night.  Wow, that was a sweet W for the Blues.   :tup

Also saw an interesting stat .... the Leafs have been in 1st for 97 days - longer than any other division leader this year.  Looks like there's a good chance they'll end the season that way, and the Habs (certainly based on last night's play) don't look like a tough matchup.

It's hard no to be excited about what the Leafs could do in the playoffs. They're a solid team and check all the boxes. It'll just come down to performance obviously. Gotta perform.

As far as the Blues, they've looked pretty solid....even in a couple losses.....as of late. Binnington has looked pretty sharp and is back to making more than the saves than a goalie 'should' make, and he was even missing those early on. The key has been the 'star' players (and I do use that term loosely) have been scoring which of course makes it easier. Anyway, I'm certainly not assuming they'll make the playoffs due to the teams we have left on the schedule but it's encouraging to see good hockey again.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #756 on: April 29, 2021, 07:59:42 AM »

Yeah they're humming along nicely. If Smith can maintain this form into the playoffs, Edmonton will be a force. And they've had the Jets' number all season (6 or 7 straight wins now). I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are secretly hoping Montreal catches them in the standings so they can face the Leafs instead. Barring an upset, it's looking like Leafs v Edmonton in the second round.

McDavid needs another 16pts in the remaining 9 games to crack 100 this season. He's been on a ridiculous streak lately, and I think he can hit the mark if he just keeps doing what he does. He's had at least 3pts per game the last 5 games. I guess this hasn't happened since the 80s (as per Louie Debrusk on last night's broadcast....but he's allegedly a raging alcoholic, so who knows)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: April 29, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »

Yeah they're humming along nicely. If Smith can maintain this form into the playoffs, Edmonton will be a force. And they've had the Jets' number all season (6 or 7 straight wins now). I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are secretly hoping Montreal catches them in the standings so they can face the Leafs instead. Barring an upset, it's looking like Leafs v Edmonton in the second round.

McDavid needs another 16pts in the remaining 9 games to crack 100 this season. He's been on a ridiculous streak lately, and I think he can hit the mark if he just keeps doing what he does. He's had at least 3pts per game the last 5 games. I guess this hasn't happened since the 80s (as per Louie Debrusk on last night's broadcast....but he's allegedly a raging alcoholic, so who knows)

Jets problem has been Hellebucyk looking less than extraordinary, weak/inexperienced D, and the 'stars' slumping (and now Ehlers injured).  They're faltering at the wrong time of the year.

And this seems to be the year where (because of playing teams 8-9 times) a strong offense has the edge over a strong defense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #758 on: April 29, 2021, 08:34:24 PM »
This bull shit is like the bizarro world of last night's game.  :facepalm: :facepalm:   Oh well, at least we will get at least a point out of it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: April 29, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
This bull shit is like the bizarro world of last night's game.  :facepalm: :facepalm:   Oh well, at least we will get at least a point out of it.

You mean two points  :tup

4 in a row against the AVs and the Wild. It was nice to get that game tonight with our backup in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: April 30, 2021, 04:26:41 AM »
Seems the Blues are separating from the Coyotes, and destined to get dusted by the Knights.  :biggrin:

Vancouver absolutely mailed it in last night.  They've clearly tapped out.  Leafs should be able to put it in cruise control, and still not blow their 9-point lead over the Oil to finish 1st.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:57 AM »
Seems the Blues are separating from the Coyotes, and destined to get dusted by the Knights.  :biggrin:

Two weeks ago I'd have thought the same thing. I will say though, they've been playing pretty sharp lately and look to be hitting their stride at the right time. If they keep this focus throughout the rest of the season and enter the playoffs playing like this.....I think that series would go 7 games and not be the slaughter I'd have thought it'd be a couple weeks ago. This is where you cannot discount the playoff championship experience that they'll bring to the plate....especially if they're playing confident hockey like they are now. It'd be a brutal and tough series to play but I don't think they'll get 'dusted' by any means.

Since 4/1 the Blues have the #1 PP....have score a PP goal in 9 straight. They were #3 last year, so....if that stays clicking it's a part of the game that immediately gets you back into a game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: April 30, 2021, 07:20:35 AM »
Speaking of the Knights.  How is an expansion team that good out of the gates and they've kept that great play every year?  I have a friend who has season tickets to them.  He's out there a lot because he became a professional card player and we talk about the Knights all the time.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #763 on: April 30, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
Speaking of the Knights.  How is an expansion team that good out of the gates and they've kept that great play every year?  I have a friend who has season tickets to them.  He's out there a lot because he became a professional card player and we talk about the Knights all the time.
The expansion draft rules helped a whole lot, I'd say. But I'm definitely surprised they've been able to maintain that success for 3 years now. I think these new draft rules were a good thing for new a new franchise. It's hard to build a fanbase out of the gate if your team is an bottom feeder for most of a decade.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: April 30, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »
The expansion draft rules helped a whole lot, I'd say. But I'm definitely surprised they've been able to maintain that success for 3 years now. I think these new draft rules were a good thing for new a new franchise. It's hard to build a fanbase out of the gate if your team is an bottom feeder for most of a decade.

Yeah.....they fleeced the league in that original expansion draft. They were set up to succeed right off the bat. Plus, they're a 'destination' team.....no state income tax.....players just want to do there also.

It won't last forever for them but it's certainly been a good start.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: April 30, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
Plus, the resurgence of Fleury.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: April 30, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »

Totally. I don't think anyone can honestly say that they believed he'd be playing at the level that he is? If so, Pitt would have never gotten rid of him.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #767 on: April 30, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
Last night was probably the final nail in the coffin for this Rangers season.

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: April 30, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »

Totally. I don't think anyone can honestly say that they believed he'd be playing at the level that he is? If so, Pitt would have never gotten rid of him.

If you look at that backups they've been good or better as well.  They've got great structure for a young team as well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: April 30, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
Last night was probably the final nail in the coffin for this Rangers season.

Guaranteed.  If they had swept the home/home vs the Isles, they may have had a chance of catching THEM instead of the Bruins.  No chance to catch either now.  Too bad, they've been red hot lately.  In 2-3 years, Rangers will be leading the Metro once all the stars in DC and Pitt age-out.