Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73286 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #700 on: April 19, 2021, 06:28:21 PM »
I'm obviously not paying attention, mainly because I guess I assumed it would be a record that would never be broken, but tonight, Patrick Marleau  will be breaking Gordie Howe's record for games played. That's amazing!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:55:09 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #701 on: April 19, 2021, 07:15:22 PM »
Indeed. There are probably only a couple dozen unbeatable records.  I thought this one was as well.  Glad he’s doing it as a Shark
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: April 19, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »
Nice tribute to him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFHWJ0FQZw

Just too bad it was from Bettman!  Should've been from Jumbo.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: April 19, 2021, 08:38:54 PM »
Yeah, and man, does Bettman look old!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #704 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »

Take a look at this tweet.  Jumbo had a few words to say.  The video is even narrated by James Hetfield.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1384328699114401795

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2021, 08:49:02 PM »
I know fans give him a hard time, but I thought the league did a good enough job with the season last year after the shutdown to where I can give Bettman a break.  If we can still consider hockey one of the four major professional team sports in the U.S., he might be the best of the commissioners at this moment. That is not saying a lot, perhaps, but it's something.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »
I know fans give him a hard time, but I thought the league did a good enough job with the season last year after the shutdown to where I can give Bettman a break.  If we can still consider hockey one of the four major professional team sports in the U.S., he might be the best of the commissioners at this moment. That is not saying a lot, perhaps, but it's something.

Can't disagree with that, but he will always be the one responsible for 2005 in my mind.  He'll never do enough good to erase that stain.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #707 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »
I mean it's a tough pill to say Gary Bettman was all right when that guy was the commissioner for about two seasons worth of games lost (94-95, 04-05, and 12-13).  Ovi would have been a lot closer to Gretzky's goal record had he played those games in 04-05 and the games lost from 12-13.

Unpopular opinion, but I will say he probably made the right call to not give the ok for the NHL players to play at the Olympics in 2018 (then again, it came down to like three greedy corporate entities not getting along on the same page in all chipping what is needed to make that happen).

Speaking of Olympics, the NHL will be there for 2022 games right?  I haven't kept track of that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:02:35 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2021, 09:01:14 PM »

Can't disagree with that, but he will always be the one responsible for 2005 in my mind.  He'll never do enough good to erase that stain.

I get that.  And I am not saying I am a fan now or anything, just that recent history has made me want to cut him a little bit of slack.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2021, 09:06:34 PM »

I don't even remember 2005, nor do I give a shit.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #710 on: April 19, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
^^ Well, of course, you don't remember 2005 because nothing, relevant to our viewing interest, happened at all in the NHL in the first half of the year.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:38 AM »

Take a look at this tweet.  Jumbo had a few words to say.  The video is even narrated by James Hetfield.

Gotta love Twitter...first comment I saw on that post was, "Most amount of games without a Stanley Cup."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

Gotta love Twitter...first comment I saw on that post was, "Most amount of games without a Stanley Cup."

I think he only made the Stanley Cup Finals once.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #713 on: April 20, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
^^ Yep, once.  That was probably the last time Marleau made it past the 1st round of the playoffs in any team.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #714 on: April 20, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
^^ Yep, once.  That was probably the last time Marleau made it past the 1st round of the playoffs in any team.

Indeed.  Since making the finals in 2016, the Sharks made it to the second round and conference finals (in 2018 and 2019), but that was when Marleau was with the Leafs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: April 20, 2021, 10:05:34 PM »
Man, I thought losing in OT to the Covid Canucks was going to be the low point of the season.  Nice to see Big-Save Dave (who stole a Game from the Leafs earlier in the while a Flame) showed up as No-Save Dave.

What did I say a couple pages ago.... it's amazing how goalies who are otherwise crap turn into Vezina candidates when they play the Leafs.  Holtby had a 3.57GAA and sub .900 save %.  Then makes 35+ saves against the Leafs in both games.  The hockey Gods had it out for the Leafs on Sunday (4 times they hit the pipes), and Holtby was possessed by Hasek for at least one save.  Tonight's loss was all on Rittich, and to a lesser extent the D (three soft goals by the former; twice the Canucks had rebound tap-ins courtesy of bad play from the latter).

This season is not going to end well if this team can't find some consistency.  Since the end of Feb, they went on an 1-6 streak, followed by a 9-0-1 heater, now into an 0-3-2 slump.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #716 on: April 23, 2021, 07:11:28 AM »
Looks like the Red Wings/Capitals trade is working out for both teams so far.  Anthony Mantha had a goal in each of his first five games with the Caps, and Jakub Vrana now has 5 goals with the Wings thanks to a 4 goal night last night against the Stars. It's nice to see the "Yzer-Plan" come together!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: April 23, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
Solid W (in regular time) by the Leafs over the Jets last night.  Nice to see Helly actually look like a not-extraordinary goalie.

On the flipside, the Sens shut out the Covid Canucks?!?!?!  FFS, that angers me even more now that the Leafs could only must 1 point over 2 games against them.  Seems the Leafs far too often manage to play to the level of their competition.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:36 AM »
  Seems the Leafs far too often manage to play to the level of their competition.

The Bruins have the same problem. I wouldn't worry about it. The Bruins played up to and won 3 straight against the Isles and Caps, then sleptwalked through a win against Buffalo on Tuesday, and played like complete ass for two periods last night before deciding the play one period. I think that's why the B's have had so much trouble against NJ, but have had relative success against Washington.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #719 on: April 26, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
Blues with two huge wins over the Avs in the last three days.  :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2021, 09:07:17 PM »
Blues with two huge wins over the Avs in the last three days.  :tup :tup

Tonight’s game may have been the best 60 minutes of hockey they’ve played all year. Outside of that PP goal the AVs scored the Blues had them shut down
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #721 on: April 27, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
This appears to be the other half of the NHL's national TV deal:

Source:  NHL Facebook page.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #722 on: April 27, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
Wheeeee.  $225 million a year for the TNT/TBS package and $400 million for the ESPN deal.   Both for 7 years.  Plus, I think the games are going to be on a slightly bigger platform than the NBC networks as well.  Things are looking up for the league when it comes to the visibility of the game in the states.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #723 on: April 27, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
Agree.  Between ABC, ESPN(+), TBS, TNT, and HBO Max, I think the league will end up with FAR more exposure than it's gotten on NBC/NBCSN.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »
Just don't bring over Pierre McGuire.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #725 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
They already did. No joke

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: April 27, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
They already did. No joke

Ah see... we're off to a bad start here.  What's next?  Red and blue streaks?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #727 on: April 27, 2021, 11:48:18 AM »
Pierre doesn't bother me like he does for you Chad.  We have Jack Edwards.  He can numb you to any other announcers. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #728 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »
Pierre doesn't bother me like he does for you Chad.  We have Jack Edwards.  He can numb you to any other announcers. :lol
True. Edwards is among my least favorite

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #729 on: April 27, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »

Regarding Jack Edwards, I've been meaning to ask you or TAC on how you guys feel about Jack Edwards as an announcer.  I've watched a few clips of Bruins games with him on the play by play and my main thought was, "if I was an opposing fan of the Bruins, I would avoid watching feeds with him as the play by play."  It's not that he's a homer for the Bruins (which is fine for the local sports feed), but the little things he say just gets me a little irked a bit.

For instance, this video.

GOTTA SEE IT: Penguins Botch 3-on-0 In Overtime Followed By Bruins' Game Winner

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: April 27, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
But he is a big homer for the B's.  It works for a lunch pale fanbase that rabid for hockey like Boston is.  I completely understand how it can drive other fans batty having to listen to him but he really bring emotion for "Us homers." :lol

The balance it off with Andy Brickley.  Ex player who knows his gam.  Very straight forward.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #731 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:11 PM »
I'm done with Jack Edwards, honestly. We have Andy Brickley as a TV color guy and he's as good as they get. But he's got to put up with Jack, who blows.

When he got the gig, his quirkiness and homerism were kind of amusing. But he's just become a caricature of himself. He's actually an excellent play by play guy when he tones it down a bit. I think he tries too hard to be the Bruins' version of Tommy Heinsohn, and he comes off sounding goofy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:39 PM »
Andy Brickley is one of the best color guys I've ever heard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: April 27, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »
Tim funny how that works for TV but the radio pundits will never be homers.  Example Felger and Maz.  Remember how Minahane hated the Sox openly? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: April 27, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
Remember how I hated Minihane openly?  ;D

I have no idea what he thought about the Sox.