Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 72585 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2020, 08:08:18 PM »
They already have a new CBA in place, so the players can just say'no, thank you' and get full salary. It just wouldn't be in their best interest. As Bettman recently put it, the players can choose whether they want to pay for their share of the pandemic impact now or later.

I think it's less likely the season goes ahead because covid is running rampant in both countries. Although, maybe with vaccines soon arriving the NHL might just gamble. The NFL is more or less print on a clinic of what not to do. Hopefully the NHL takes notes

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »
I don't know if the NFL is a clinic of what not to do, but the NHL and NBA can surely take lessons from the NFL.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
So a Wayne Gretzky rookie card sold today for 1.29 million. Apparently it's one of 2 cards that have the highest quality grade.

I have one that I can find and it's in excellent condition. But I have no idea how to sell it.

I see there's one on EBay for 50k. Who does that? I'd never send any money to anyone on Ebay, much less 50k.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
You have an honest to goodness authentic Great One rookie card? Holly shit! If it's in quality condition i.e been encased the whole time, you could try to sell it through an auction house. That's where all the big collectibles are sold, like rare comics, etc. You'd be paying a commission but who the fuck cares unless you're a collector

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2020, 05:50:22 AM »
My hockey cards are long gone.  And I'm kick the crap out of myself for "selling" a box of comics when I was 17, for $40.  All were in sleeves, in mint condition.  As I recall, I had some fairly rare ones - Punisher #1 comes to mind - as well as some full collections (like the original Secret Wars).  I suspect they'd be worth quite a bit now.

TAC, that'd be f'n cool if it was worth 5 or 6 figures.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
You have an honest to goodness authentic Great One rookie card? Holly shit! If it's in quality condition i.e been encased the whole time, you could try to sell it through an auction house. That's where all the big collectibles are sold, like rare comics, etc. You'd be paying a commission but who the fuck cares unless you're a collector

Yes I have one.

It has not been encased, but is actually in pretty good shape. The I included a pic of the card showing the four WHA teams that joined the NHL that year. There were only four Oilers that had cards that year.

Goalie Dave Dryden
Lee Fogilin
Cam Conner (whoever the hell he is)
Wayne Gretzky

Of course I have FIVE Cam Conners! :facepalm:

I do have a bunch of cards of the following year.

I have a couple of French versions because my hockey team played in Quebec that year and I bought a bunch of hockey cards up there.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
All right, guys.  It's official.  January 13th is the start date of the new season.  56 games, like it's been rumored to have gone.  All games are going to be play against their respective division rivals.  Top four of each division gets in the playoffs.  Here are the alignments.

It's going to be an ugly scrap for the bottom 5 teams of the West to get that 4th spot to qualify for the playoffs.  Going to be hard to determine an edge on that one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2020, 03:07:16 PM »
They're doing what they can to get another season in but I'm not overly thrilled that StL is in the West. Not because of the competition, I think StL will be fine on that aspect.....but because of the Fn game start times now. I do think it's a bit silly for them to be in that division being that you couldn't have a more 'central' Fn city.....Dallas the Wild and Blues were all on the hook to get F'd by this but it is what it is.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
Yep, we definitely got the shaft, but it is what it is.  The NHL did the best they could given the circumstances.

With the C and two A's from the Cup-winning team of 18 months ago now gone, should be interesting to see how the Blues do.  O'Reilly will do fine as the captain once the inevitable happens, but others will need to step up and help with the leadership void.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
Oh, did they make O'Reilly Captain? Makes sense.

That totally blows about the game times. Tough for the kids, Gary.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
This is gonna be interesting .... Ontario is rumoured to be going in to a hard 28 day lockdown as of Friday. Hard to see how the NHL is going to be considered an “essential service”.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2020, 10:07:24 PM »
This is gonna be interesting .... Ontario is rumoured to be going in to a hard 28 day lockdown as of Friday. Hard to see how the NHL is going to be considered an “essential service”.

Doesn't sound like the BC government is going to allow the NHL an exemption, either, for players entering the province from the other Canadian markets. This season may yet get scrapped.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2020, 10:22:29 PM »
On top of that, I'm reading word that the Sharks is going to hold training camp in Arizona?  May not bode well for Kings and Ducks as well for them playing at home.  Well, I expect there to be roadblocks when every team location has different policies when it comes to this stuff.  On the other end of the spectrum, I'm also reading that Dallas and Florida may allow fans in (albeit in limited capacity and following social distancing rules)?  Although, Stars did do watch parties at their arena during the Cup run and I don't think they had any issues with it so, for them, this is the next step.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:14 AM »
On top of that, I'm reading word that the Sharks is going to hold training camp in Arizona?  May not bode well for Kings and Ducks as well for them playing at home.  Well, I expect there to be roadblocks when every team location has different policies when it comes to this stuff.  On the other end of the spectrum, I'm also reading that Dallas and Florida may allow fans in (albeit in limited capacity and following social distancing rules)?  Although, Stars did do watch parties at their arena during the Cup run and I don't think they had any issues with it so, for them, this is the next step.

Texas and Florida the first to announce they will allow fans in attendance:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
The Stars and Blues should be switched. Keep the Wild/Stars rivalry and Blues/Blackhawks rivalry intact.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
The Stars and Blues should be switched. Keep the Wild/Stars rivalry and Blues/Blackhawks rivalry intact.

Yeah. The more I look at it....it’s a pretty crappy deal for StL. Hawks and Preds are two big rivalries that are squashed this season now. Not to mention geographically Dallas is several hundred miles further West that StL.

I get it......none of its ideal but this seems like a pretty big miss by the NHL.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
Nikita Kucherov to miss regular season following hip surgery.

https://www.tsn.ca/nikita-kucherov-to-have-surgery-miss-regular-season-1.1568138

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2020, 10:05:33 PM »

https://www.tsn.ca/nikita-kucherov-to-have-surgery-miss-regular-season-1.1568138

Ooof. Now I'm really ticked off about not being in the Central Division.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2020, 06:39:15 AM »

Oh, c'mon.... being in the division that has the Kings, Sharks, Ducks ain't so bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »
I thought an article I saw on this summed it up well: it's good for the Blues (being in the division with a lot of potential bad teams) and bad for Blues fans (a lot of late games on the west coast games).  I did see that there are at least three weekends where the Blues have back to backs on Friday and Saturday night on the west coast, so, as M-F worker, I like that.  Staying up late on the weekends is a little bit easier.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
You certainly are a MFer.  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »

Oh, c'mon.... being in the division that has the Kings, Sharks, Ducks ain't so bad.

True. But I’d rather be playing the Hawks, Preds and Red Wings......just for rivalry sake. Those games would be intense.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »

True. But I’d rather be playing the Hawks, Preds and Red Wings......just for rivalry sake. Those games would be intense.

I was really hoping for an old Norris Division reunion tour as well.  Those rivalries were way more satisfying than playing Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal since the Wings went East.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »
You certainly are a MFer.  ;D

:lol :lol

*golf clap*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
I'll bet the Blackhawks regret letting Dach go to the World Juniors now.

And the Rangers are screaming "SEE!!!!"   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2020, 08:38:37 PM »
TSN reporting Bill Daly thinks the Canadian government will approve the teams moving from province to province.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
I'll bet the Blackhawks regret letting Dach go to the World Juniors now.

And the Rangers are screaming "SEE!!!!"   :lol

On the other hand, I think the Kings are fine having Byfield, Turcotte, etc. going there and try to see what they have and what they can improve on before being ready to play in the big time.  I don't think the organization is going to have them play too many games in majors, this season, but maybe near the end of the season where if they have no shot of playoffs (very highly) and want to experiment with the line-up a bit and mix around with prospects playing games?  I don't know.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2020, 10:24:44 PM »
TSN reporting Bill Daly thinks the Canadian government will approve the teams moving from province to province.

I heard that, too, but the feds are only half the equation. The provinces themselves have authority over public health orders, so if the Premier of BC id adamant he doesn't want inter-provinvial NHL travel, it won't happen. Here in Alberta our Premier is on board, but Edmonton city Council might not be if the WJHC blows up. Hell, our council voted to make masks mandatory all the way through 2021, so i wouldn't be surprised if they don't allow NHL games in the city.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2020, 04:32:51 AM »
Word is Ontario is good to go.  There was a provision in the lockdown that allowed for facilities for "high performance athletes" to remain open - which is the avenue I think that gives the NHL a path to operate practices and games.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »

I heard that, too, but the feds are only half the equation. The provinces themselves have authority over public health orders, so if the Premier of BC id adamant he doesn't want inter-provinvial NHL travel, it won't happen. Here in Alberta our Premier is on board, but Edmonton city Council might not be if the WJHC blows up. Hell, our council voted to make masks mandatory all the way through 2021, so i wouldn't be surprised if they don't allow NHL games in the city.

Right, I understand that. I used "government" loosely. My point was the nhl seemed confident they had an understanding with the provinces. Seemed they just had to produce more protocols.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2020, 06:54:57 AM »
Blues sign Mike Hoffman to a PTO. That's a steal, no? I'm shocked the guy couldn't get a guaranteed contract.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2020, 08:58:58 AM »
Blues sign Mike Hoffman to a PTO. That's a steal, no? I'm shocked the guy couldn't get a guaranteed contract.

They're waiting for the 'technical' season to start so they can officially place Tarasenko and Steen on LTIR. Steen is retiring and Tarasenko won't be back until February at best.....so it's just cap maneuvering. It's being reported an agreement is in place for one year at $4 million.

I mean, the guy can play but I've heard there's baggage that comes with him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »

They're waiting for the 'technical' season to start so they can officially place Tarasenko and Steen on LTIR. Steen is retiring and Tarasenko won't be back until February at best.....so it's just cap maneuvering. It's being reported an agreement is in place for one year at $4 million.

Yes that’s right. LTIR. I heard that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »

Long Term Injured Reserve. If a player is on it their salary does not count against the cap hit. BUT....when they come off of it their salary is then added back in. So, you can play around with it but in the case of Tarasenko.....his $7.5million hit will come back this season at some point. Steens will not because he's retiring.....but even that is weird the way they're doing it so he gets his full salary but the Blues only take like a $3million hit instead of his full $5.75 mil.

Yes that’s right. LTIR. I heard that.