Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73290 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #665 on: April 12, 2021, 05:02:23 PM »
Apparently I'm not paying attention, but is Anthony Mantha that good? I mean, he must be for the Caps to give up on Vrana and give up a first round pick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
I'd put this in the Irritating Thread, but I'll post it here...

As much as I hate ESPN, I do like their website for NHL and MLB. The Standings and Stats are easy to view/use. Buy my irritation is that every fucking article on the site is an ESPN+ article. WTF??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:45:26 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm not paying for that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
If you’re a sports nut and don’t have THE ATHLETIC you’re missing out. It’s subscription based but the content blows away conventional reporting.

I’ve had it for three years and don’t utilize it nearly as much as I could and still feel like it’s a steal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
I'm with you guys.  I go to espn.com to look at standings and schedules, but almost never click on articles anymore since it seems like most are ones you have to pay for, and there is no chance they are getting my money.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
I should consider giving The Athletic a try.  They are doing a starter deal offer where the first 6 months is $1.00 a month, then $8.00 a month onwards.  They pretty much have, from what I hear, good reporters with a fair view most of the time on all the things (all the teams, all the events, etc.) that's going on in sports.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »
Between TSN, Sportsnet, and the NHL app, I'm covered.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
Yeah, me too. I'm not paying for sports journalism.

We have two excellent sports radio stations in Boston, each with their own website. There's two major sports TV networks, again, each with their own websites.

I also visit https://www.tsn.ca/nhl  everyday.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »
Between TSN, Sportsnet, and the NHL app, I'm covered.
This.

Although i won't be at all surprised when they follow suit

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
I should consider giving The Athletic a try.  They are doing a starter deal offer where the first 6 months is $1.00 a month, then $8.00 a month onwards.  They pretty much have, from what I hear, good reporters with a fair view most of the time on all the things (all the teams, all the events, etc.) that's going on in sports.

I can’t endorse it enough. The articles and content a far and away superior to what you’ll find elsewhere. And like I said, I only view and use a minuscule percentage of what is available. If you’re in to multiple sports it’s a haven for information.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #675 on: April 13, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
As much as I hate ESPN, I do like their website for NHL and MLB. The Standings and Stats are easy to view/use. Buy my irritation is that every fucking article on the site is an ESPN+ article. WTF??

Agree with the first part of this -- plus, they have standings going back 20 years.  They even have attendance data (although I've only ever found it with a Google search).  As far as ESPN+, I have the bundle that gives me Disney+, ESPN+ and I think Hulu.  All of that content is worth the money (I have access to ever 30 for 30 episode, which I'm planning on digging into one of these days), so it also allows me access to the pay articles the two times a year I want to look at them.  If I didn't have the bundle, though, there's no way I'd pay for it (or any other sports journalism).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: April 13, 2021, 10:31:26 AM »
I have no need for Disney +. My kids long outgrew Disney. And I don’t even know what Hulu is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: April 13, 2021, 10:48:38 AM »
I have no need for Disney +. My kids long outgrew Disney. And I don’t even know what Hulu is.

Disney is more than princess cartoon movies.  I'm not surprised at your latter comment, but it is still facepalm-worthy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #678 on: April 13, 2021, 01:25:42 PM »

Disney is more than princess cartoon movies.  I'm not surprised at your latter comment, but it is still facepalm-worthy.

Yeah...Hulu is essentially the same thing as Netflix, but with more of a TV focus.  And the reason I got the bundle is because half of the folks in my house wanted to watch The Mandalorian (episodic show set in the Star Wars universe).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #679 on: April 13, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
Apparently I'm not paying attention, but is Anthony Mantha that good? I mean, he must be for the Caps to give up on Vrana and give up a first round pick.

He was a first round pick and the only 50 goal scorer in his draft year.  He’s put up decent numbers with the Wings, and his advanced stats are among the best in the league.  Now that he doesn’t have to be the man for offense and can be part of what looks like is going to be the best top 6 going into the postseason, I expect him to do quite well in Washington.  He was inches away from a 3 point night tonight against the Flyers, and seemed to gel pretty quickly with Backstrom and Oshie.  He was on the ice for three, maybe four of Caps goals tonight.  I’m excited to see what he can do with the Caps.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #680 on: April 14, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »
Blues fall just short with a 3rd period comeback vs the Avs.  No points for a loss like that, but the team would have tucked their tails and quit down 4-1 in a game two weeks ago, so it's good to see them showing fight like that.  Still feels like their upside is limited, but it is what it is.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: April 14, 2021, 08:51:57 PM »
Blues fall just short with a 3rd period comeback vs the Avs.  No points for a loss like that, but the team would have tucked their tails and quit down 4-1 in a game two weeks ago, so it's good to see them showing fight like that.  Still feels like their upside is limited, but it is what it is.

Yeah. It was good to see them not give up and make it a game. You can’t let a team like Colorado go up 4-1. Their 3 goals in the 2nd period were all due to bad mistakes from the Blues. Oh well.....

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #682 on: April 14, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
It really felt like the Blues were going to shock the Avalanche and take the game to overtime because they pretty much dominated the entire third period, and have been exceptional this season when it comes to empty net heroics. It sucks to once again lose to Colorado by a single goal in regulation, but all in all it wasn't a bad night for the Blues because Arizona and Los Angeles both lost their games decisively and San Jose is currently down 0-3 against the worst team in the division.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »
After the last couple games, I'm starting to hate Vegas more than I hate the Ducks....  What a waste of a season this has been for the Kings.  No energy, very little effort, no teamwork.  And, of course, my Facebook "Memories" section is full of posts from the 2012 & 2014 Cup runs.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #684 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:18 AM »
After the last couple games, I'm starting to hate Vegas more than I hate the Ducks....  What a waste of a season this has been for the Kings.  No energy, very little effort, no teamwork.  And, of course, my Facebook "Memories" section is full of posts from the 2012 & 2014 Cup runs.

I think the future for the Kings is pretty bright though.  They have what could be the best prospect pool in the league, and the idea of Quentin Byfield and Alex Turcotte learning the center position from Anze Kopitar is going to put the Kings in a really good position in a few years time.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #685 on: April 15, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
^^ Yeah, in a few years time, just not right now in this current present.

They do get a lot of cap space back though.  $9 million gets freed up from buyouts after this season and Brown's contract (at around $5.9M) and the other half of Carter's retained contract is freed up in the season after.  That would be the part where Rob Blake will need to try to make sure more riskier moves with that cap space.  They got Iafallo signed for $4M x 4 years so that's solid support.  These next steps afterwards will be key.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:54:23 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #686 on: April 15, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »

I think the future for the Kings is pretty bright though.  They have what could be the best prospect pool in the league, and the idea of Quentin Byfield and Alex Turcotte learning the center position from Anze Kopitar is going to put the Kings in a really good position in a few years time.

I felt that way earlier in the season.  They had energy and a lot of team speed and were competitive -- even when they weren't winning.  The last couple weeks have been tough to watch.  Completely agree about Byfield and Turcotte, though, so we'll see.

My other concern is that the NHL is about to create Vegas 2.0 in Seattle.  Being stuck in a division with two teams that are less than five years old, but which are dominant because of the expansion draft process that created them, is going to suck.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: April 15, 2021, 10:58:48 AM »
My other concern is that the NHL is about to create Vegas 2.0 in Seattle.  Being stuck in a division with two teams that are less than five years old, but which are dominant because of the expansion draft process that created them, is going to suck.

After the raping that most teams took with the Vegas expansion draft, most GMs got smart about their signings.  At least, Dubas did.  The Leafs have something like 11 UFAs coming up.  Given what they're allowed to protect, there (at the moment) is literally only one contracted player that the Kraken could choose - Justin Holl (5th D-man).  They only have 7 forwards under contract at the end of the season.

I don't see a repeat of what Vegas was able to pull off.  They captured lightning in a bottle from a bunch of different angles.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #688 on: April 15, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »
Agreed, I don’t see the Kraken gettin’ crackin’ like Vegas did. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #689 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »

After the raping that most teams took with the Vegas expansion draft, most GMs got smart about their signings.  At least, Dubas did.  The Leafs have something like 11 UFAs coming up.  Given what they're allowed to protect, there (at the moment) is literally only one contracted player that the Kraken could choose - Justin Holl (5th D-man).  They only have 7 forwards under contract at the end of the season.

I don't see a repeat of what Vegas was able to pull off.  They captured lightning in a bottle from a bunch of different angles.

I hope you're right.

From what I've read, the Kings are likely to go with the 1 goalie plus 8 skaters plan.  They'll definitely protect Cal Petersen and have to protect Drew Doughty.  They'll also protect Anze Kopitar.  Jonathan Quick and probably Dustin Brown will be available.  The Kings also have a ton of young talent with varying degrees of NHL experience that would probably be exposed (Carl Grundstrom, Martin Frk, Trevor Moore, Blake Lizotte, etc.) along with guys like Andreas Athanasiou and Olli Maatta.  Hopefully, Seattle decides Kurtis MacDermid needs to be an original Krakhead.   :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #690 on: April 15, 2021, 12:14:39 PM »
^^ If Seattle picks Kurtis MacDermid, watch him turn into the next Ryan Reaves with them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #691 on: April 15, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »
^^ If Seattle picks Kurtis MacDermid, watch him turn into the next Ryan Reaves with them.

Or Quick into the next Fleury.   :facepalm:

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #692 on: April 15, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »
Speaking of which, out of the goalies that would be potentially exposed for Seattle to pick, who else would be their best choice?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: April 15, 2021, 12:53:38 PM »
Speaking of which, out of the goalies that would be potentially exposed for Seattle to pick, who else would be their best choice?

The backup in Florada has been pretty fucking solid this year.  Rangers also have a very good/young tandem.  Holtby will also be exposed - if he isn't traded first.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #694 on: April 15, 2021, 04:05:36 PM »

An SI/THN mock draft from before the season started suggested:  Braden Holtby, Anton Khudobin and Ville Husso.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: April 15, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
You know what I hate is that back in the day, they used to call off icing if the linesman thought the D-man was dogging it back. Now the D man can make no attempt to retrieve the puck, and they still call icing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #696 on: April 15, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
Wow the Bruins finally beat the Islanders this year.

I really like Mike Reilly, the young d-man they got from the Sens. He was their best d-man tonight.

Taylor Hall scored his first goal tonight. He looked way more comfortable tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: April 16, 2021, 05:07:00 AM »
You know what I hate is that back in the day, they used to call off icing if the linesman thought the D-man was dogging it back. Now the D man can make no attempt to retrieve the puck, and they still call icing.

Tell me about it.  Watching old games from the 80s is great, and I yearn for the days when Linesmen look for reasons NOT to call icing, vs nowadays it seems like it's the exact opposite.

Leafs are in a funk ... again.  2-46 on their PP over the last I dunno, 18ish games I think (since they had a 7 game winless streak).  Freddie being on LTIR is now catching up (Campbell let in 2 really soft ones last night; Rittich's goal against was  a terrible play on his - and Marner's - part), Matthews hurt again, Nylander on COVID (he's done it now), and won't have their trade acquisitions until after the weekend.  Their games against Vancouver are going to be rescheduled, so they'll at least have a bit of rest to hopefully get their shit together.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2021, 08:59:16 AM »
Last night's game

Bruins Trade deadline-3
Islabders-0

Mike Reilly-primary assist on Pasta's goal
Taylor Hall-Goal (2nd in two games...has doubled his goal output since the trade)
Curtis Lazar-Goal (EN)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »
Gotta say, with all of the ups and downs this season, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Rangers kick the shit out of the Devils all week.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask