Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73224 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »
If Edmonton can keep playing consistently, i think they make the playoffs. I don't think they have the pedigree to win a round, and definitely not 2 or 3

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2021, 09:45:29 AM »
There's a reason the 2 friends i used to share season tickets with call me the Anti-fan

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2021, 11:24:39 AM »
There's a reason the 2 friends i used to share season tickets with call me the Anti-fan

You can be a fan and also a realist. I’m a New York sports fan, and my city has been coasting on the success of the Yankees and Giants for the better part of a century. My Jets and Rangers are nowhere near championship contenders, but just because I can admit that doesn’t mean I’m not gonna root for them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
Realist is the exact reply i use. And i call them homers, for good measure

Offline pg1067

« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
Kings suck again.

Not so fast there.  Starting to put things together (as they did WAY too late in the 19-20 season), currently in a playoff spot, and only 5 points behind STL.  If they can keep things going against STL and MIN over the next seven days, then this could become a very interesting season for this very young team.  My biggest concern is Cal Peterson.  I haven't been terribly impressed with him as the supposed heir apparent to Jonathan Quick.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #355 on: February 21, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
^^ I think Petersen is doing fine on his end.  I'm not expecting him to rob someone of a goal like Quick did in his peak, as much, but Petersen should be ok.  I hope he's going to do fine on his end, because from what I hear, the Reign goalies in the AHL are not going be better......  Then again, they are only 20-21.  It's when a goalie is like 25 where things should be clicking right?

On a side note, the scenery of today's outdoor game looks nice with the sun setting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:43:28 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »
Sorry, Jingle, but I want to bring this up.  So, it's been one year since the infamous emergency backup goalie that happens to be a Zamboni driver that stepped in and happened to get a W for the Hurricanes against the Leafs.  Where were you guys when this happened?

I was in San Francisco getting ready for the 1st of four Alter Bridge shows in the West Coast (which happened to be the last concerts I've seen as of now) and I was looking at my Twitter feed in bed about it and various forums like here reading about it.  That moment made a lot of waves and Steve Dangle freaked out about it in glorious fashion.  The discussion with his podcast buddies also was ok as well.  They compared it to how the losing team in Air Bud felt when they lost to a dog at basketball.

LFR13 - Game 63 - THEY LOST TO A ZAMBONI DRIVER

You Lost To Your OWN Zamboni Driver! | The Steve Dangle Podcast

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
An embarrassment for sure, but I hate the narrative of him being a "Zamboni Driver".  He was the Marlies (AHL affiliate) practice goalie, and often practiced with the Leafs squad as well.  It's not like he wasn't a legitimate "emergency" goalie like Scott Foster in Chicago a couple years back.

Dangle is fun sometimes, but he's whole schtick is to be outrageously outrageous.

Oh, and I was watching the game in my living room... shouting at the TV.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
Agree about the "emergency goalie" concept. The Oilers' e-goalie is the starter for the university hockey team. You don't want these guys starting a string of NHL games, but they know how to stop pucks.

Not sure exactly where i was, but Strava says i was out riding trails on my bike at the time lol. I figured there was a good chance Strava would have a record of my whereabouts any given day (which is also terrifying)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2021, 08:36:25 PM »
Kings suck again.

Not so fast there.  Starting to put things together (as they did WAY too late in the 19-20 season), currently in a playoff spot, and only 5 points behind STL.  If they can keep things going against STL and MIN over the next seven days, then this could become a very interesting season for this very young team.  My biggest concern is Cal Peterson.  I haven't been terribly impressed with him as the supposed heir apparent to Jonathan Quick.

That was a solid as fuck game against the Blues.  Quick has looked great in his last couple games.  GKG!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »
Quick stole that game. But at the same time Blues are reeling. So many injured players and just added another one tonight in Gunnarson. It’s been a tough stretch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2021, 05:21:07 AM »
Calgary pulled their shit together last night, Leafs just didn't have it ... injuries to their four 'scrappy' players (Thornton, Hyman, Muzzin - and Simmonds already out) didn't help. Plus, Anderson with an undisclosed injury as well.  Hopefully Thornton and Hyman are just bumps and they're back this week.  Muzzin took a stick to the face on Saturday, and broke some bones - unsure how long he'll be out for.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
Quick stole that game. But at the same time Blues are reeling. So many injured players and just added another one tonight in Gunnarson. It’s been a tough stretch.

Bodes well for Wednesday!   :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
Man....it's been brutal for the Blues this season. It's our turn for the injury bug. Lots of players out, and pretty 'key' players.

Jaden Schwartz - Lower Body - Week to Week  (missed two weeks now)
Robert Thomas - Broken Thumb - Re-evaluated in 4 to 6 Weeks (missed about two weeks now)
Vladimir Tarasenko - Shoulder - Week to Week (coming off offseason surgery....been skating with team)
Ivan Barbachev - Ankle - Re-evaluated in 6 weeks (injured three games ago)
Tyler Bozak - Upper Body (concussion) - Day to Day (cheap shot from Stone in Vegas   49 second mark    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvYc6wXhm4                       Stone got nothing for it)
Alexander Steen - Back - Out for Season
Colton Paryako - Back - Out Indefinitely
Carl Gunnarson - Knee - Out for Season
Marco Scandella - Took a Puck to Face - Day to Day

Just brutal. Sad thing is, Binnington has been playing really good but losing games by a goal or two because we can't F'n score. With teams like the Kings and Arizona coming into their own and the fact the Blues have an entire lineup out injured.....suddenly making the playoffs would be a victory for this team.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
Damn, that's a long list!  And I'm surprised there wasn't any league action against Stone - they don't usually tolerate concussion inducing hits (please spare us the Blues conspiracy viewpoint :biggrin:)  Too bad it wasn't COVID, then at least they could get the games rescheduled!  :neverusethis:

Scrappy win by the Leafs last night.  They were the better team all game, but 'Big Save Dave' did indeed live up to that moniker, and made at least 1/2 dozen A-list saves.  Greasy rebound goal with the goalie pulled to tie it, and then a great rush in OT for the winner.

Edmonton for 2 games ought to be very entertaining.  The Leafs will need to play some lock-down defense if Hutch is still the starting goalie - which will be hard if Muzzin is still out of the lineup.  I'll be happy with a split if they can get it.

Really surprised at Julien's firing, but Bergevin's logic is sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »
Man....it's been brutal for the Blues this season. It's our turn for the injury bug. Lots of players out, and pretty 'key' players.

Jaden Schwartz - Lower Body - Week to Week  (missed two weeks now)
Robert Thomas - Broken Thumb - Re-evaluated in 4 to 6 Weeks (missed about two weeks now)
Vladimir Tarasenko - Shoulder - Week to Week (coming off offseason surgery....been skating with team)
Ivan Barbachev - Ankle - Re-evaluated in 6 weeks (injured three games ago)
Tyler Bozak - Upper Body (concussion) - Day to Day (cheap shot from Stone in Vegas   49 second mark    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvYc6wXhm4                       Stone got nothing for it)
Alexander Steen - Back - Out for Season
Colton Paryako - Back - Out Indefinitely
Carl Gunnarson - Knee - Out for Season
Marco Scandella - Took a Puck to Face - Day to Day

Just brutal. Sad thing is, Binnington has been playing really good but losing games by a goal or two because we can't F'n score. With teams like the Kings and Arizona coming into their own and the fact the Blues have an entire lineup out injured.....suddenly making the playoffs would be a victory for this team.

Agreed. I said last week that the team has first round loss written all over them, but now I am not even sure they will be a playoff team.  They were struggling already, and all of these injuries is speeding up the descent.  Ugh.  I will have to watch 2019 postseason highlights again on YT to cheer myself up. :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline romdrums

« Reply #367 on: February 25, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »

Now this is a sentence I never thought I would read.  You sure that shouldn't be in green?  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2021, 04:20:19 AM »

Now this is a sentence I never thought I would read.  You sure that shouldn't be in green?  ;)

HAHA! 

Anyone see the Flames/Sens highlights?  Man, how did Rittich go from 'lights out' in 2 games vs the Leafs to 'can't stop a beachball' in just 2 days.  No-Save-Dave is more like it.  He looked terrible.  That OT loss must've really gotten in his head.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
Goalies are a fickle bunch.  They are like closers in the baseball. They can sometimes get in their own head and destroy their own confidence.

I still find is strange that after getting possibly the 3 best goalies ever for roughly a 20-year stretch (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur), we have yet to see a goalie rise up since and dominate on an yearly basis over the long haul like those three did.  No one since is even close.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
Goalies are a fickle bunch.  They are like closers in the baseball. They can sometimes get in their own head and destroy their own confidence.

I still find is strange that after getting possibly the 3 best goalies ever for roughly a 20-year stretch (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur), we have yet to see a goalie rise up since and dominate on an yearly basis over the long haul like those three did.  No one since is even close.

I don't disagree, but the statistic of total Ws would suggest Luongo, Fleury, Henrik were at least in the same ballpark - though, their successes are as much about longevity as anything (though, Brodeur was a freak of talent + longevity).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #371 on: February 26, 2021, 07:23:06 PM »
Big 3 game set between the Oil and Leafs starting tomorrow. If Toronto ends up sweeping, that might put them out of reach. In the division. It would put them 9pts up with games in hand.

I'm optimistic about the Oilers' play lately, so I'm wagering they go 2-1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2021, 05:42:19 AM »
Big 3 game set between the Oil and Leafs starting tomorrow. If Toronto ends up sweeping, that might put them out of reach. In the division. It would put them 9pts up with games in hand.

I'm really hopeful Campbell can start tonight, and Anderson is back for the next two.  Could be ugly if the Leafs have to put Hutchinson between the pipes.  Playing him against Cgy, Mtl and Ott is one thing; The Oil is another.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #373 on: February 27, 2021, 06:48:44 AM »

I'm really hopeful Campbell can start tonight, and Anderson is back for the next two.  Could be ugly if the Leafs have to put Hutchinson between the pipes.  Playing him against Cgy, Mtl and Ott is one thing; The Oil is another.
I'm not sure either of those options is good with McD bearing down on the net lol. Wouldn't it just be something if these are all low scoring, defense first games? I highly doubt it will be given the fire power on both sides, but crazier things have happened in the NHL (think zamboni drivers winning NHL games in net).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 27, 2021, 07:31:31 AM »

I'm not sure either of those options is good with McD bearing down on the net lol. Wouldn't it just be something if these are all low scoring, defense first games? I highly doubt it will be given the fire power on both sides, but crazier things have happened in the NHL (think zamboni drivers winning NHL games in net).

Or drafting Yakapov first overall!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »

Or drafting Yakapov first overall!

Ughhh. People are supposed to forget about that. And the Hall fleecing. Basically all of Chiarelli's run as GM. And Tambellini's.

Also, what's with the Oilers and hiring GM's with Italian names? It clearly doesn't work out

Offline romdrums

« Reply #376 on: February 27, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
Doesn’t Chiarelli have the distinction of trading both the number one and number two overall picks from that draft? 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
Doesn’t Chiarelli have the distinction of trading both the number one and number two overall picks from that draft?
He does. A rarity to blow 2 trades of high end players. How'd Louie Ericsson work again?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Matthews is out tonight.    :-\

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »
Matthews is out tonight.    :-\

That sucks.

I realize that this is not news, but Mitch Marner is one shifty motherfucker. The kid looks 12 years old FFS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »
Loving the Wild/Kings unis tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2021, 10:15:15 PM »
Loving the Wild/Kings unis tonight.

It looked like Mardi Gras on ice.

And that goal with 0.3 second left in OT really made me want to break something.  Just fucking awful!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2021, 04:46:44 AM »
Very good game last night between the Oil and Leafs - and I don't say that just because of the outcome.  Even at 2-0, I found it was a very well contested game on both sides, and could've gone either way - especially how the Leafs can manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Defensively, they did a great job of stymie'g the entire team, but especially McD and Draisaitl.  Speaking of the latter, Schecter... did you catch the HNIC post-game show, and Friedj calling out that he only had 17-ish minutes - 5 minutes below his average.  Something up there maybe?  Very disciplined game by the Leafs to stay out of the penalty box.  In fact, the refs did a great job letting them play - even the one penalty they did call I thought was a pussy penalty to call.

And yeah, that Marner kid is pretty good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2021, 07:17:38 AM »
By no means do I think the ship was righted, but that was a nice win by the Blues last night, all things considered.

And you gotta love Jordan Binnington (below).  He knew the team needed a kick in the ass, so he stirred it up a little when leaving the ice after getting pulled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0g4z76lPo

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: February 28, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
Just watched the highlights of that one. Lot of greasy goals, and terrible defense - on both sides.