Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73230 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »
And so much Kiss played in the background coming in and out of commercial breaks

On that note, I mentioned how KISS played the pre-game ceremony at Dodger Stadium between the Kings and Ducks back in 2014 and I recalled me and people from another forum cringed seeing KISS at that ceremony at the time.  Now, I'm not saying that this could have been a better option, but I think they could have try to make an effort to get Van Halen to play that particular pre-game ceremony.  I recall Wolfgang being at more Kings home games at the time in their big run and I think there's a picture out there of him with Eddie and Eric Friedman (guitarist from Mark Tremonti's solo band) at a Kings game and there was a glimpse of them shot on TV.

On that note, there was a shot of Luc Robitaille with a guitar and Eddie and Wolfgang getting jerseys at the time.  Here was the picture below.  That was a good time in life.  2014.

Edit: Just read the article.  "Reports indicates Van Halen are actively working on a new album, the follow-up to 2012's A Different Kind of Truth."  Well, that's a bittersweet note now knowing that there is no new album and Eddie is gone.

http://www.hennemusic.com/2014/04/van-halen-lends-hometown-support-to-los.html

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
And it would be a ratings BONANZA!!

More like a Brass Bonanza!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
I have an old 45rpm somewhere of the Brass Bonanza!  I miss the Whale. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »
First Joey Moss passed away last week, and today Travis Roy did as well.

Dammit!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2020, 08:21:24 PM »
Fucking crickets on the upcoming season.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
I actually just added a segment from TSN Overdrive that aired today/yesterday to my YT 'watch later'.  Headline was "Should NHL fans anticipate a ‘lockout-shortened season’ format?"

Will report back later after I watch it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »
Yep.  Only big murmur so far was that someone is apparently making the call that the OHL, a junior league in Canada, is not going to allow bodychecking, in their words, as an attempt to lower the spread of COVID.  Like how can you enforce that in a naturally intense and physical game in the first place?

Also, I've been listening a lot to the Steve Dangle Podcast, recently.  It's an interesting and sometimes funny listen hearing three Maple Leafs fans talk about their views and what's going on regarding the Leafs and what's happening around the league and around it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2020, 05:25:22 AM »
Yep.  Only big murmur so far was that someone is apparently making the call that the OHL, a junior league in Canada, is not going to allow bodychecking, in their words, as an attempt to lower the spread of COVID.  Like how can you enforce that in a naturally intense and physical game in the first place?

Also, I've been listening a lot to the Steve Dangle Podcast, recently.  It's an interesting and sometimes funny listen hearing three Maple Leafs fans talk about their views and what's going on regarding the Leafs and what's happening around the league and around it.

Dangle is awesome.  jingle.daughter follows him religiously.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
On cue, Bill Daly says today the league is shooting for January 1st.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
No clue how the NHL can possibly think a jan 1 start is realistic. It's not feasible to have bubbles for the entire season, and no way the Canadian government is going to allow fans in the stands.

Has anyone heard what their plan is going to be? I've heard rumblings about all canadian division to avoid issues with the border being closed, but nothing much more than that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2020, 08:06:41 AM »
They could do like what they did in the last lockout season where teams only played games within their conference. Put the Eastern Conference in Buffalo or Detroit so the Maple Leafs, Senators, and Canadiens don't have to travel too far over the border, limiting the potential spread, and put the Western Conference in Vancouver or Winnipeg so the American Western Conference teams don't have to travel too far over the border in the other direction. It would suck for players to have to stay away from home for that long, but if they want to play this year these will be sacrifices they have to make.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2020, 08:20:33 AM »
I see no chance of that flying with the PA, just from a personal standpoint. 2 months away from family was brutal enough. I see s he tees scenario as more likely, though the travel on the “Canadian” conference teams would be brutal.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
I doubt the Canadian federal government is going to allow cross border travel for sports. They wouldn't let mlb do it. The US side isn't the problem (from a travel perspective, at least). The border is going to be closed most or all of 2021, so non-canadian players won't be allowed back in without special consideration. Playing in Buffalo won't be an option if it means having a home back in Toronto.

An all-canadian division would work since inter-provincial travel is allowed, but that's an awfully dull schedule seeing the same 7 teams all the time.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2020, 08:55:09 AM »
An all-canadian division would work since inter-provincial travel is allowed, but that's an awfully dull schedule seeing the same 7 teams all the time.

Uhhhh, I wonder how people pre-1970 deal with that kind of schedule and I think they were playing the same amount of games in a season, or close to it, back then as well.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
In my opinion, a 6, as was the case pre-expansion, or 7 team league does not make for  a competitive, entertaining experience (*cough* CFL football *cough*). And in the case of a potential division without games outside the division, you can easily end up with a team having an inflated record if there's a few weak teams in the division. You need only look back to the old South or Southeast division (whatever they called it) that the Capitals dominated every year. The caps even made the playoffs as a 10th place team once because they were the division leader. Keeping games within a conference is one thing, but within just your division will skew the standings. Another consideration is whether or not the other divisions would play inter-divison games, or would everyone just play their own division?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
I doubt the Canadian federal government is going to allow cross border travel for sports.

Not even for hockey?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »
I doubt the Canadian federal government is going to allow cross border travel for sports.

Not even for hockey?

Sounds like it.  That's how you know this is pretty serious stuff when Canadians are not even making hockey reasons an exception to allowing anyone in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »

Not even for hockey?

I'll assume you forgot a laughy emote after this.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

Uhhhh, I wonder how people pre-1970 deal with that kind of schedule and I think they were playing the same amount of games in a season, or close to it, back then as well.

I saw a proposal on a Red Wings' blog that seemed interesting.
https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2020/11/13/21562824/quick-hits-the-mailbag-edition
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
Given the way things are trending, I see about a .... ZERO ... percent chance of the Canadian gov't waiving mandatory quarantine for border crossings of non-essential workers.  NHL is not essential.  They didn't do it for the Jays; they're not doing it for the Raptors; there's no serious talk of it happening for the NHL.  I might be wrong, but honestly, I don't want to be or think I will be - it simply sets a precedent that will face a lot of public (and potentially legal) scrutiny.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »
Agree. Lockdown 2.0 started today here in Alberta. It's not trending well in Canada.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
Agree. Lockdown 2.0 started today here in Alberta. It's not trending well in Canada.

Not like it's trending well anywhere.  We should be in Lockdown in Ontario as well, but our Premier is a bigger idiot than Kenney.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »

Not like it's trending well anywhere.  We should be in Lockdown in Ontario as well, but our Premier is a bigger idiot than Kenney.
No argument there.

World Juniors are going to be doing bubble hockey here in town during the Holidays. I think the NHL will be keeping a close eye on how it's going on the lead-up.

I'm wondering how long the NHL could operate without ticket revenue? Seems unlikely they could go 1 or 2 seasons with just the tv revenues. I guess they could just move the Canadian teams down south for the season and play with some fans. I think an indoor arena is a whole other level than what the NFL and college football has been doing though.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
On another note, the NHL has announced that they are bringing some reverse retro jerseys.  The Kings' one looks good to me.  A solid blend of the early days of the Purple and Gold era colors with the Gretzky-era logo (the Chevy logo).

Other jersey designs look good and some look not as good.  I.E. the Ducks.  Couldn't they have done something better to incorporate the original logo rather than put it on Wild Wing?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
I like the Kings' one for sure.

I also like the Bruins.'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
On another note, the NHL has announced that they are bringing some reverse retro jerseys.  The Kings' one looks good to me.  A solid blend of the early days of the Purple and Gold era colors with the Gretzky-era logo (the Chevy logo).

I don't know....  I like the purple (errr...Forum blue) Kings jersey (I have a gold Robitaille jersey that I don't wear too often because I don't care for the color), but having the Chevy logo is just weird.

And the Ducks one is downright awful.  If they were going to use Wild Wing, they should have showed him where he nearly killed himself trying to jump through a ring of fire.  :lol

But I'm getting tired of the NHL shoving this down my throat on Facebook.  "Which retro Metro jersey are you most excited about?!"  None of them.  The day I get "excited" about a jersey that exist for no purpose other than to induce fans to drop $150 will never come.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
And the Ducks one is downright awful.  If they were going to use Wild Wing, they should have showed him where he nearly killed himself trying to jump through a ring of fire.  :lol

This prompted me to watch this pregame footage from the first ever Mighty Ducks game:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPTrpjpW-k

I was at that game.  My friend and I were busting a gut laughing at how mind-blowingly lame this was.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »

I don't know....  I like the purple (errr...Forum blue) Kings jersey (I have a gold Robitaille jersey that I don't wear too often because I don't care for the color), but having the Chevy logo is just weird.

And the Ducks one is downright awful.  If they were going to use Wild Wing, they should have showed him where he nearly killed himself trying to jump through a ring of fire. :lol

Right, my apologies.  Forum Blue.  Thank Jack Kent Cooke for that term instead of purple.

About Wild Wing, I was way too young to read about that in real time, but I still get a chuckle of it when it comes up.  Did anyone thought in planning that this was going to be a good idea that can be executed safely?  Never mind the fact that he was on fire in the end.  He was going to land stomach first anyway.

As for the jerseys, I may buy the Kings' design.  I don't own a jersey (piggybacked on wearing my sister and her husband's jerseys when going to the games back in late 00s and 2010).  I mean I was planning to go to more games in the 19-20 season and buy a jersey once I had some spending money, but the obvious elephant happened......

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »

And the Ducks one is downright awful.  If they were going to use Wild Wing, they should have showed him where he nearly killed himself trying to jump through a ring of fire. :lol

Right, my apologies.  Forum Blue.  Thank Jack Kent Cooke for that term instead of purple.

. . .

As for the jerseys, I may buy the Kings' design.  I don't own a jersey (piggybacked on wearing my sister and her husband's jerseys when going to the games back in late 00s and 2010).  I mean I was planning to go to more games in the 19-20 season and buy a jersey once I had some spending money, but the obvious elephant happened......

Yeah.  My comment was intended as a jab at Cooke since there's no world in which that color isn't purple.  I think it looks good, but it just feels odd to have the Chevy logo in purple and gold.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
In college hockey news, the Long Island Sharks launched their new men's hockey program a few months ago and won their first game in OT last night!  That school has my favorite athletic branding.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
Seems the Canadian government isn't giving the NBA a pass on crossing the border..

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
Seems the Canadian government isn't giving the NBA a pass on crossing the border..

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »
So here are the potential temporary realignments if a 2021 season were to happen and Canadian government is not backing down on their border policy for the time being.  I think some people would be thrilled on an all Canadian division.  That stated, any fans in the West that's not Avs, Golden Knights, and Stars fans are going to not be as happy.  Also, at least, the Blackhawks and Red Wings are in the same division again, albeit both teams are not the best of the bunch at the moment.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1329469226181070855

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2020, 04:07:56 PM »
Yeah, that West Division looks awfully weak.  East is solid top to bottom, then Canada, then Central. That’s how I’d stack them.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
The more I keep reading various news about the disputes when it comes to salary between players and owners where I think the owners want the players to defer a percentage of their salary, the more I feel like this season isn't going to go ahead, even in a shortened form.  We seem to keep having these kinds of issues every 8 years or so or some variation of it in ways unexpected. You think everyone in the league would have done everything in their power to prevent yet another potential lockout, but this pandemic made everyone horribly unprepared when it comes to these kinds of negotiations.