Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73430 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Ducks or not, I will take it.  Jordan Kyrou continues to be a major breakout star for the Blues in 2021. :hat

And Berube continues to play mind games with him. His first two goal game in his career and Berube has him on the bench the last 6 minutes of the game eliminating any chance of his first hat trick.

Berube has done his best to F with that kid non stop. I know it’s tough love and all.....he challenged Kyrou at the end of the season last year to come back ready and Kyrou did. Kid out on 15 lbs of straight muscle.

There’s a fine line between tough love and teaching as a coach and just being a dick. Berube is waffling between that line a lot with Kyrou. I’m glad Kyrou is ignoring it and keeping focused.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #281 on: January 31, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
Ducks or not, I will take it.  Jordan Kyrou continues to be a major breakout star for the Blues in 2021. :hat

And Berube continues to play mind games with him. His first two goal game in his career and Berube has him on the bench the last 6 minutes of the game eliminating any chance of his first hat trick.

Berube has done his best to F with that kid non stop. I know it’s tough love and all.....he challenged Kyrou at the end of the season last year to come back ready and Kyrou did. Kid out on 15 lbs of straight muscle.

There’s a fine line between tough love and teaching as a coach and just being a dick. Berube is waffling between that line a lot with Kyrou. I’m glad Kyrou is ignoring it and keeping focused.

Hmmm, I will admit that the game became background noise for me in the 3rd period, so I didn't really notice that, but that is a bummer that Berube would jerk him around like that.  Then again, I am sure there is a method to his madness, given Kyrou's age.  Gotta keep the young guys always fighting for more ice time, I guess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
I love the Wild's North Stars' colors.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2021, 08:17:03 PM »
2nd period just started, and McD and Draisaitl already have 4pts each. Matt Murray and whoever the fuck Hogberg is look just awful. 6 goals on 14 shots lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »
2nd period just started, and McD and Draisaitl already have 4pts each. Matt Murray and whoever the fuck Hogberg is look just awful. 6 goals on 14 shots lol

Yeah that looks pretty cool. Ah nostalgia.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2021, 04:54:23 AM »

Agreed.  The nostalgia of Ottawa being awful is great!  lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »

so where's Modano, Broten, Bellows and Smith?  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
I'm watching NHL Tonight, and I can't help but think that while Tony Luftman is talking, Bruce Boudreau must be thinking STFU! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2021, 07:55:50 AM »
Well, the Devils' season has been put on hold for at least a week. Honestly may benefit us in the long run because we'd never gotten Nico Hischier back from a pre-season injury and Sami Vatanen was in normal isolation protocol following having traveled to Newark when he signed with the team.

Honestly though, been real happy with the way the season's gone to this point. A lot of the young guys have been stepping up and we're seeing this season in Hughes what everyone thought we'd be getting last season.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
I'm not sure many teams are going to escape the rescheduling of games.  MLB, NBA, NFL haven't been able to avoid it, there's no reason to think the NHL was ever going to find the secret sauce.  0% chance the season finished by early May as it was originally scheduled to.  My best guess would be end of May, which means the playoffs are still going to run into August.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2021, 09:30:34 PM »
The Blues are on a roll now, so I guess a COVID situation is just around the corner.  :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »
The Blues are on a roll now, so I guess a COVID situation is just around the corner.  :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Was thinking the same thing. They’re looking like they’re getting comfortable and up to speed and playing well so I’m sure something Covid related will pop up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2021, 05:02:03 AM »

Was thinking the same thing. They’re looking like they’re getting comfortable and up to speed and playing well so I’m sure something Covid related will pop up.

I'd be surprised if any team escapes the entire season unscathed by Covid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2021, 05:04:24 AM »
Anyone catch the Jets alternate uniforms from last night?  Nice colors, as opposed to some teams who have some absolutely dreadful colors.

Solid win by the Leafs, and always nice to see the Habs lose.  3 postponed games.  Hopefully the league can get this under control.  So bizarre to see fans in the stands - is Florida an entire state of Covid denyers?  Pretty much the only way for the Panthers to lead the league in attendance.   :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2021, 07:46:11 AM »
The Blues now have two series (Avs/Wild) delayed by Covid. I get it.....they're trying to be smart or whatever by postponing these games....but, what's the F'n point of the taxi squad if you're going to cancel games anyway? I mean, they canceled the Blues v Knights due to one player on the Knights having Covid!? Why even have a taxi squad then if you can't replace one player.

What's the 'number' or criteria? If it's fluid then the NHL is screwed and so are a bunch of teams because there's no way every team will get their 56 games in so which will lead to a percentage based conference seeding which will certainly screw a team or two.

I know the league is trying the best they can but the visuals of how they're cancelling these games looks fishy to me at times....like they're protecting some of these teams who's 'stars' are out on injury or covid.

You can mark this post....I'll guarantee you that if Binnington, O'Reily and Perron get all get covid at the same time the league isn't protecting them the way they have Vegas and Colorado and is making the Blues keep playing games. Roll your eyes....dismiss it as it just 'Gary being Gary' but I'll guarantee it right now because that's the type of BS Blues fans are used to dealing with.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2021, 08:16:33 AM »
It could be down to contact tracing. If three players test positive but they were relatively isolated then the game could be played without them, but if one player tests positive but had contact with a lot of personnel, the game would have to be postponed. Speaking from experience working as a DSP in a higher risk environment, contact tracing is what takes something from an isolated incident to a department wide quarantine. In this instance with the teams, it appears that behind the scenes personnel are being kept mostly anonymous, which on one hand is a good thing as it protects them from scrutiny and backlash for something that isn't necessarily their fault, but on the other hand it has the unfortunate side effect of not revealing the real level of exposure to fans, making it seem like the rules are inconsistent when they may not be in reality.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
It could be down to contact tracing. If three players test positive but they were relatively isolated then the game could be played without them, but if one player tests positive but had contact with a lot of personnel, the game would have to be postponed. Speaking from experience working as a DSP in a higher risk environment, contact tracing is what takes something from an isolated incident to a department wide quarantine. In this instance with the teams, it appears that behind the scenes personnel are being kept mostly anonymous, which on one hand is a good thing as it protects them from scrutiny and backlash for something that isn't necessarily their fault, but on the other hand it has the unfortunate side effect of not revealing the real level of exposure to fans, making it seem like the rules are inconsistent when they may not be in reality.

Yeah....I get it. I think your assessment is spot on. As I said.....I don't envy the position the NHL is in. They're taking a massive financial hit across the board (Owners/Players/Employees) and they're doing what they can to provide a product and a way of life for people. So, my frustration means nothing in the big picture....I'm glad we're getting to see hockey played.

But my question is serious....why even have the taxi squad then? Maybe it was something that seemed like a good idea but the practicality of it now it just doesn't work? Or, since a lot of the minor league teams aren't playing it's just a way to keep players in shape....which is most likely the reason now.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2021, 08:30:57 AM »

Yeah....I get it. I think your assessment is spot on. As I said.....I don't envy the position the NHL is in. They're taking a massive financial hit across the board (Owners/Players/Employees) and they're doing what they can to provide a product and a way of life for people. So, my frustration means nothing in the big picture....I'm glad we're getting to see hockey played.

But my question is serious....why even have the taxi squad then? Maybe it was something that seemed like a good idea but the practicality of it now it just doesn't work? Or, since a lot of the minor league teams aren't playing it's just a way to keep players in shape....which is most likely the reason now.

In theory it was a good idea, but to use my team as an example, let's say the Rangers and Capitals had guys test positive right before their series this week. Even though having reserve players is great, as a fan, well I really don't want to watch a Wolfpack vs Bears game instead of a Rangers vs Capitals game. Not to mention that you are now adding more people (virus hosts) to an already infected locker room. In practice it just isn't a good idea, as its endangering more people and would be putting an inferior product on the ice for the fans, plus if one team has multiple replacement players and their opponent has none, that's giving an unfair advantage to the healthy team. Respect to the NHL for being active in trying to find solutions to the many challenges they're facing with putting on a season, but the taxi squads are not a good solution so hopefully they think of something better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
The Blues now have two series (Avs/Wild) delayed by Covid. I get it.....they're trying to be smart or whatever by postponing these games....but, what's the F'n point of the taxi squad if you're going to cancel games anyway? I mean, they canceled the Blues v Knights due to one player on the Knights having Covid!? Why even have a taxi squad then if you can't replace one player.

What's the 'number' or criteria? If it's fluid then the NHL is screwed and so are a bunch of teams because there's no way every team will get their 56 games in so which will lead to a percentage based conference seeding which will certainly screw a team or two.

I know the league is trying the best they can but the visuals of how they're cancelling these games looks fishy to me at times....like they're protecting some of these teams who's 'stars' are out on injury or covid.

You can mark this post....I'll guarantee you that if Binnington, O'Reily and Perron get all get covid at the same time the league isn't protecting them the way they have Vegas and Colorado and is making the Blues keep playing games. Roll your eyes....dismiss it as it just 'Gary being Gary' but I'll guarantee it right now because that's the type of BS Blues fans are used to dealing with.

#GaryBeingGary

My take was that the taxi squad is to compensate for the fact that you can't quickly call players up from the minors, and if there is an *isolated* Covid exposure, you can swap those players in/out.  Not to mention needing a 3rd goalie in a pinch.  The Taxi Squad also has protection from the cap.  So in normal years when you could only have a 23 man roster, that only gives you 3 players to swap in/out - and when the four bozo Ruskie's from the Caps have to sit due to an *isolated* Covid exposure, the team can still put out a 20-man roster on the ice.  Same with the Vegas coaching staff

Oh, and you didn't see THOSE games get rescheduled, did ya Gary??  :biggrin:  No protection for those teams in those situations.  Also, I don't think Buffalo is a huge market/franchise that the NHL feels they have to "protect".

#GaryBeingGary   :P :D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2021, 01:30:33 PM »

#GaryBeingGary

My take was that the taxi squad is to compensate for the fact that you can't quickly call players up from the minors, and if there is an *isolated* Covid exposure, you can swap those players in/out.  Not to mention needing a 3rd goalie in a pinch.  The Taxi Squad also has protection from the cap.  So in normal years when you could only have a 23 man roster, that only gives you 3 players to swap in/out - and when the four bozo Ruskie's from the Caps have to sit due to an *isolated* Covid exposure, the team can still put out a 20-man roster on the ice.  Same with the Vegas coaching staff

Oh, and you didn't see THOSE games get rescheduled, did ya Gary??  :biggrin:  No protection for those teams in those situations.  Also, I don't think Buffalo is a huge market/franchise that the NHL feels they have to "protect".

#GaryBeingGary   :P :D

^^this^^

Picture a clapping emoji

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »

#GaryBeingGary

No shit!

Gary you left out the fact that the it was the referees that were the ones that actually passed it on to those guys.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2021, 07:58:14 AM »
Regarding the Blues, I am more concerned right now with their seeming inability to get "up" for the 2nd games of these back to backs.  Once again, they came out the other night with their heads up their asses, and sure, they made the final score look better at the end (pulled the goalie down 3-0 late, scored 3 goals with Binnington pulled and allowed 1 empty netter, and lost 4-3), but this is unacceptable.  Berube was asked about it after the game and basically said, "Ask the players, they are the ones playing," and while he is right, maybe it is something Berube needs to do differently to get them ready to play.  I am pretty consistent across all team sports that when all or most of a team shows up for a game looking lethargic or disinterested, it is not as simple as all of the players just happening to not give a shit that day; that is the coaches not getting them ready to play, which is part of their job.  And make no mistake, Berube coached the Blues to their first Cup and will forever be a god in the eyes of many of us here in St Louis, but I am just saying, there seems to be that blind spot with him in regards to this team as far as preparation goes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »

#GaryBeingGary

No shit!

Gary you left out the fact that the it was the referees that were the ones that actually passed it on to those guys.

:lol   

Kev. I’d be interested in seeing the stats on theses two game series. What’s the frequency of a ‘sweep’ or is the split more common? Seems like this two game series format sets up motivation for whichever team loses the first game to come back harder in the second game.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Hot damn, that Flames/Oil game last night was a shootout.  Koskinen... Man alive is he just not good, and the defense hung him out to dry on a few occasions.  I feel for ya Schecter. 

I don't know if the Leafs are as good as they've looked or the Canucks are as bad as they've looked given the last 2 games.  I think a bit of both, and possibly the Leafs played a little above their norm + Canucks below their norm.  Holtby looks like an below-average goalie too.  I can see Demko being their #1 guy (if he isn't already).

Really looking forward to Wednesday's Leafs/Habs matchup.  Two best teams in the league!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2021, 06:12:36 AM »
Blues have lost 8 of the last 12 games they’ve played against Arizona. For some reason Arizona has their number. It’s infuriating. Of course the Avs and Wild series gets postponed and their schedule was reworked to where we play Arizona 6 times in a row! Should just be banking point but nope......they’re 1-2 and have looked like ass.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2021, 06:15:43 AM »
Blues have lost 8 of the last 12 games they’ve played against Arizona. For some reason Arizona has their number. It’s infuriating. Of course the Avs and Wild series gets postponed and their schedule was reworked to where we play Arizona 6 times in a row! Should just be banking point but nope......they’re 1-2 and have looked like ass.

Holy shit!  Basically a playoff series.  Wow.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2021, 06:54:22 AM »
Hot damn, that Flames/Oil game last night was a shootout.  Koskinen... Man alive is he just not good, and the defense hung him out to dry on a few occasions.  I feel for ya Schecter. 

I don't know if the Leafs are as good as they've looked or the Canucks are as bad as they've looked given the last 2 games.  I think a bit of both, and possibly the Leafs played a little above their norm + Canucks below their norm.  Holtby looks like an below-average goalie too.  I can see Demko being their #1 guy (if he isn't already).

Really looking forward to Wednesday's Leafs/Habs matchup.  Two best teams in the league!!!

Yeah, the general consensus around town is that Smith will get a string of starts now. Which is a sad, sad thing.

Goaltending is a mess in Oil Country

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2021, 07:04:59 AM »

Yeah, the general consensus around town is that Smith will get a string of starts now. Which is a sad, sad thing.

How long has it been since you guys have had an A-list netminder?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2021, 07:08:56 AM »

Since Cujo in '01... Or whatever year it was. Roloson was elite to end the '06 season, but that's about as close as it came. Dubnyk was traded the year before his Vezina run

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2021, 07:18:59 AM »

Since Cujo in '01... Or whatever year it was. Roloson was elite to end the '06 season, but that's about as close as it came. Dubnyk was traded the year before his Vezina run

That's what I thought.  Talbot had one good season, but that was clearly a Buster Douglas-like situation.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »

That's what I thought.  Talbot had one good season, but that was clearly a Buster Douglas-like situation.

Talbot benefited from playing for the Rangers, who have probably the best goalie coach in the league.

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »
Talbot was good for a softie every game, without fail. Year 1 he was ok, Oilers missed the playoffs. Year 2 he plays above his career average, but still good for the softie, Oilers make playoffs. Year 3 he's back to mediocre, still letting in softies, Oilers miss playoffs. Now he's basically out of the league. He was touted as this great tender that never got the chance because he was playing behind a legend (a la Favre/Rodgers). Turns out he was just a solid backup the whole time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
Mike Babcock slumming as a NBCSC in studio analyst?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
The Blues shit the bed and lose to Arizona again. Confidence in this team is fading fast.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2021, 10:44:46 PM »
Mike Babcock slumming as a NBCSC in studio analyst?
Old hat, Tim. Old hat. That was pages ago in the thread lol.