Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73389 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
They should just make the bubble here in St Louis since the Blues are gonna win the President's trophy and should then get home ice advantage throughout.  All of the other teams can just deal with it.

:P :P  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
If you lose 5-6 in a row I think your toast. Consistency is going to be the key.

One good/bad streak won't make or break anyone.  A 2nd good/bad streak will. 

I can see that. I'm just thinking about Winning the division and not necessarily only making the playoffs. This year more than the past few with the way it's structured there's actual incentive and benefit to coming in first.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
If you lose 5-6 in a row I think your toast. Consistency is going to be the key.

One good/bad streak won't make or break anyone.  A 2nd good/bad streak will. 

I can see that. I'm just thinking about Winning the division and not necessarily only making the playoffs. This year more than the past few with the way it's structured there's actual incentive and benefit to coming in first.

If it's a foregone conclusion that the Avs, Knights, and Blues are the top 3 in the West, then hot damn... #1 seed is gonna be very important.  2 of those teams are most likely going to play each other in round 1.  That's brutal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
Predictions time!

East
Philly
Bruins
Isles
Caps

Central
Bolts
Canes
Stars
Blue Jackets

West
Blues
Avs
Knights
Wild

North
Leafs
Flames
Canadiens
Canucks
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »
That looks pretty reasonable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »
I think I'm least confident in the North predictions.  I think outside of Ottawa, the other 6 could all finish within 10 points of each other.  This is gonna be a fun division to watch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
So you have the Oilers out. Interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »
Oilers will make it, i think. Koskinen is solid enough in net, and they have the top 2 offensive players in the league. They'll loose in 5 games in the first round

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2021, 04:42:14 AM »
Oilers will make it, i think. Koskinen is solid enough in net, and they have the top 2 offensive players in the league. They'll loose in 5 games in the first round

I ain't gonna argue at all, and frankly, the Leafs have just as good a chance of NOT making the playoffs as they do winning it (especially if they keep playing like a preseason team).  Same can be said for frankly, all 6 teams.  I don't think a lot separates them.  And Ottawa is going to prove not to be a pushover at all.  They've got a lot of good young talent.

I'll freely admit my prediction of the Leafs winning it is a bit of a homer decision.  I think they finally have some depth at defense, and some grit up front.  Anderson usually has a slow October start.  How they bounce back after that piece of shit performance last night will be revealing. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2021, 05:05:09 AM »
Just perusing last night's scores.... Guess the Avs were pissed at that loss.   :omg:  Binnington looked great in the 1st, then the defense seemed to fall apart.

Protip... do not take penalties against the Avs.  Man that PP looks lethal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2021, 06:20:47 AM »
They should just make the bubble here in St Louis since the Blues are gonna win the President's trophy and should then get home ice advantage throughout.  All of the other teams can just deal with it.

The Blues made a mockery out of my post from yesterday. :lol :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »

Maybe the Avs stumbled upon your post and printed it off for bulletin board material in their locker room. Got them really fired up

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:41 AM »

I'll freely admit my prediction of the Leafs winning it is a bit of a homer decision.  I think they finally have some depth at defense, and some grit up front.  Anderson usually has a slow October start.  How they bounce back after that piece of shit performance last night will be revealing.

I don't think it's much of a homer pick to have the Leafs winning the North. They've been the top Canadian team for a few years now, and i think they easily win it unless Edmonton or Calgary really gets rolling. Jets, Habs, and Sens are all but done, if you ask me. Maybe not pushovers, but i don't think any of those teams have the horses to get it done

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2021, 08:51:06 AM »

Maybe the Avs stumbled upon your post and printed it off for bulletin board material in their locker room. Got them really fired up

Dude.....it was a good old fashioned ass kicking!!! Tale of two games. Blues forecheck, goaltending and defense were on display first game.....second game they were on vacation. Although Binnington really had no chance and he's the only reason it was 0-0 and not 5-0 after the first period.

Oh well.....I think there will be a lot of splits like that this season between top teams. It's the lower tier teams that you need to beat both times if you're expecting to win the division or secure a top 4 spot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
Don’t underestimate the Habs. They don’t have any A-list names, but man alive, they are solid and deep.  Suzuki looks like the real deal.  And Josh Anderson is gonna have a great bounce back year. Price/Allen may be the best tandem in the North.

Regarding the Jets, Hellebucyk can be the kinda goalie that can steal a few games here and there ... and in a shortened season where every game is against your playoff competition, a few games could easily be the difference in making the playoffs. I also think Laine is gonna be a beast this year - potentially for trade bait, but more importantly for a new contract.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »
Is New Jersey better than expected, or is Boston (like others) just still having to get out of preseason mode?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »
Missing Pasta.  The one true sniper. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2021, 02:53:08 PM »
Price/Allen may be the best tandem in the North.

Blue's fans (not me) whined and complained for years about Jake Allen. But the fact remains that the dude is incredibly talented and athletic. He's just not a 'starter' He's the perfect 1B/tandem goalie. He works well with his counterpart and is extremely focused.....and a heck of a person as well. He was/is loved by the guys he plays with.

The Blues new back up is 'suppose' to be the real deal. Husso. He's been nurtured and slow walked into the NHL and has had plenty of experience in the minors. But there's something to be said about having a back up that could easily be the starter, that has the experience of stealing a playoff series like Allen does (vs the Wild) and that is an ultimate teammate/locker room guy. I think the Blues will miss having Allen on their roster far more than Petrangelo honestly. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

Dude.....it was a good old fashioned ass kicking!!! Tale of two games. Blues forecheck, goaltending and defense were on display first game.....second game they were on vacation. Although Binnington really had no chance and he's the only reason it was 0-0 and not 5-0 after the first period.

Oh well.....I think there will be a lot of splits like that this season between top teams. It's the lower tier teams that you need to beat both times if you're expecting to win the division or secure a top 4 spot.

Agreed. That game last night blew, but it was only one game in the standings, so we move on.  Like you said, gotta take care of business in the back to backs against the weaker opponents.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2021, 06:21:22 PM »
Oilers are putting up a sad, sad effort tonight...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »
Pleasantly surprised for the Devils to get three points in two games against Boston, especially considering we're missing two top-six forwards. The first period Thursday night was ugly, but their compete level after that has been very good and they were a bounce or two away from winning in OT the first game as well. Still a long shot to end up making the playoffs in this division, but if Hughes and some of the other young players take a step forward and Mackenzie Blackwood proves he's the real deal in net then we could be well-positioned to start making some noise next season.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHH.  This is pain.  Kings had a 3-1 lead over the Wilds twice starting the 3rd and the Wilds came back on both games.  Even worst, the Wilds tied it with 1.4 seconds to go, just now???   OJFoasjfosjifoewofpjewofo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2021, 09:44:06 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHH.  This is pain.  Kings had a 3-1 lead over the Wilds twice starting the 3rd and the Wilds came back on both games.  Even worst, the Wilds tied it with 1.4 seconds to go, just now???   OJFoasjfosjifoewofpjewofo.

I was just going to post something similar.  That was AWFUL!  And only about 30 seconds after Matt Roy hit the post on a long attempt at the empty net....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
Well.  I'm sad now.  Bring on more pain when they face the Avs.  If this team couldn't get the job done against the Wilds, holding 3-1 leads in the 3rd and blew it on OT, I don't know what to say.  This season will be pain.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2021, 09:51:16 PM »
Well.  I'm sad now.  Bring on more pain against the Avs.

That was fucking BAD....  Walker standing around picking his ass while the guy behind him scores the GWG.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
Um... Go Wild!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2021, 04:45:17 AM »
Oilers are putting up a sad, sad effort tonight...

See my prior post(s).  I don't think Koskinen is gonna be good enough for you guys.  And with Smith on LTIR now, the Oil goaltending situation is (imo) easily the worst in the division.  Habs have a very good top-4 D in Weber, Petry, Edmunson, and Chiarot.  And Romanov is supposed to be ready for prime time.  Honestly, they are the one team in the North I'm actually quite certain will make the playoffs for sure.  Man does it pain me to say that. 

Oh, and Claude Julien is a helluva coach.  Probably the best in the Division.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2021, 05:22:26 AM »
Having watched the highlight packages this morning ....

A good goalie on a crap team can still steal the game.  Murray and Gibson nearly both stole their games against what are supposed to be much better teams.  The Leafs dominated the Sens, but the latter just hung around, and gave themselves a chance to get to OT.  Ducks blew with with an over-zealous opening faceoff in OT leading to that quick 2-on-1 goal.
Rangers - that's the team I expected.  They got a lot of talent.  Isles on the other hand looked sloppy. 
Wild comeback.  That stings for the Kings.

This is gonna be a wild season for sure.  When you only have to scout and prepare for 7 other teams (6 in the north), there are going to be a lot of tightly contested games.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2021, 06:26:58 AM »

Oh, and Claude Julien is a helluva coach. 

He really is. Winningest coach in Bruins history. Think about that..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2021, 06:42:00 AM »
Does anyone know how the officials' schedule is being determined. Obviously no one is going in and out of Canada, but do the other divisions have their own set of on ice officials too...I would assume so.

I would think they'd try and limit their travel as much as possible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2021, 08:04:54 AM »
Does anyone know how the officials' schedule is being determined. Obviously no one is going in and out of Canada, but do the other divisions have their own set of on ice officials too...I would assume so.

I would think they'd try and limit their travel as much as possible.

That's a good point.  I never thought of that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »
Watching On The Fly tonight. Bruce Boudreau looks a bit uncomfortable in this role. Maybe he'll warm up to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
Didn't the Leafs put Spezza on waivers? And yet I just saw him in tonight's highlights (missing an empty net)?

I confuse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2021, 10:19:09 PM »
Didn't the Leafs put Spezza on waivers? And yet I just saw him in tonight's highlights (missing an empty net)?

I confuse.

I believe if you put a player through waivers, and he clears, that means you CAN assign him to the minors, but doesn't mean you MUST assign him to the minors. I also think there is a period (30 days?) in which you could send him down without having to go through waivers again.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2021, 04:32:03 AM »

I confuse.

To put players on the Taxi Squad, they have to go thru waivers.  Nick's right, they can then be added/removed from the main roster for 30 days without having to clear waivers.  It was necessary in order to shuffle some people around as a result of Nick Robertson's injury.

That was an entirely un-entertaining game between the Oil and Leafs last night.  I'd hate to have to be the NHL.com guy who had to find 8 minutes of highlights in order to put together the Condensed Game package.