Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73190 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1505 on: July 23, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »
Rangers trade Buchnevich, because life has lost all meaning for me.

yeah.....I'm digging that trade though for the Blues. Blais (when healthy) is a pesky forechecker who can drop in a few goals here and there and deliver some good hits....but he's just not engaged at all. I'll take this trade for sure.....sorry
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1506 on: July 23, 2021, 03:20:11 PM »
Not to be outdone, or is it out-dumbed, Philly sent their 2021 1st rd pick and 2022 2nd rd pick, plus Robert Hagg to Buffalo for Rasmus Ristolainen.

And the Canucks just got OEK and Michael Garland from the Coyotes for the 9th overall pick, Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, and Antoine Roussel.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1507 on: July 23, 2021, 03:43:10 PM »
Coyotes are making some moves here.  Taking in rough contracts and getting some picks in the process.  They need those picks.  They forfeited #11 due to violating the league's Combine Testing Policy last year and now they got #9 and all they needed to do is take in some rough contracts that will last a year and trade their bad contract that goes for five more years and what looks like the signing rights of a good player in Garland.

Yesterday, they also got Shayne Gostisbehere, 2022 2nd round pick (PHI), and 2022 7th round pick (STL) and Philly got the "Future Considerations" guy.  That guy shows up everywhere, it seems.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:58:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1508 on: July 23, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
Moar trades!!!!! Exit Duncan Keith, enter Seth Jones for the Blackhawks.

Hard to tell if it's a lot to give.  They only move down #20 positions in this year's draft, give up another 1st round pick next year or in 2023, a second round, and a prospect (who was their first round pick at #8 in 2018).  The Kings was apparently in the hunt for Jones as well.  I don't think I would have stomach giving that much for a year of that guy and who knows if he wants to stay after that year or go UFA.

Edit: Whistles...... apparently, the contract extension after next season is $9.5M x 8 years.......
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 08:02:42 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1509 on: July 23, 2021, 07:53:34 PM »
Detroit trades for Nedeljkovic; Bernier, a pending UFA, and a 3rd round pick, then sign Nedeljkovic to a 2 year contract.   
That's pretty damn significant and potentially plugs a big hole in their goaltending prospects. Hell of a deal for Yzerman.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1510 on: July 23, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
^^ Wasn't done quite yet.  Took Washington's first round pick and a few other picks to move up to #15 and nabbed a goalie prospect.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1511 on: July 24, 2021, 04:37:58 AM »
Detroit trades for Nedeljkovic; Bernier, a pending UFA, and a 3rd round pick, then sign Nedeljkovic to a 2 year contract.   
That's pretty damn significant and potentially plugs a big hole in their goaltending prospects. Hell of a deal for Yzerman.

It'll be a great deal if Nedeljkvovic can keep up that level of play, or even close to it.  I'm not sure if the Jones deal a good contract for the Hawks or not.  He's only 26, and D-men don't decline in the level of play as much as forwards seem to once they hit their 30s - hell, some of them get better!

Really surprised Eichel didn't move yesterday.  I figured a 1st round pick would be part of any deal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1513 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:01 AM »
Jones’ deal is ridiculous. He’s not that good, and by not good, he’s not 9.5m good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1514 on: July 24, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »
well this was certainly a choice… https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-make-shocking-dismaying-choice-select-mailloux-draft/
Yup. Said, stupid choice just so they could take a French Canadian player. Stupid

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1515 on: July 24, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
^^ I think it's more than just picking a French Canadian sounding name.  The guy that got picked even stated to any teams considering it to not draft him.  Bergevin knew that (and should know the ongoing baggage of the guy he picked), but that guy loves living on the edge of thinking he's a god or he's really one step away from being fired.  It's hard to tell with him so he makes this kind of decision and causes all kinds of crap.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1516 on: July 24, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Kraken don't play Sharks until mid December, Kings until mid January.  They only come to Anaheim twice, the first is the same week the Seahawks come to LA, so I'll probably miss that.  Not the schedule I was hoping for.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1517 on: July 24, 2021, 06:48:40 PM »

yeah.....I'm digging that trade though for the Blues. Blais (when healthy) is a pesky forechecker who can drop in a few goals here and there and deliver some good hits....but he's just not engaged at all. I'll take this trade for sure.....sorry

You guys got a good one. Please treat him well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: July 27, 2021, 10:18:27 AM »
Darren Dreger is reporting Flower is on his way to Chicago via trade.  Nothing given in return other than full salary going to Chicago.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: July 27, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
Darren Dreger is reporting Flower is on his way to Chicago via trade.  Nothing given in return other than full salary going to Chicago.

Just read on The Athletic that Fleury is said to be ‘evaluating’ his future having only heard the news from Twitter…..nothing from the club.

So, what happens if he retires after he’s traded?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: July 27, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
Ovi back with the Caps for 5 x $9.5

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1521 on: July 27, 2021, 11:31:00 AM »

Yeah I'm sorry, but why did the Rangers make this trade? I thought Buchnevich was pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: July 27, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

Yeah I'm sorry, but why did the Rangers make this trade? I thought Buchnevich was pretty good.

And the Blues just signed him to 4 years.....$23.2 Million. $5.8 mil AAV. Pretty great deal for a solid player in the prime of his career.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: July 27, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »

Perhaps making a play for a bigger name?  Eichel?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1524 on: July 27, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »
So..making room? OK, that makes sense.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1525 on: July 27, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »
I feel like the window to get Eichel pre-season is done right now for any team, because the draft already passed by. I wouldn't be surprised if rumblings about it though come November.  The Kings are "alleged" to be in on him and that #8 pick in the draft (which seems to yield a decent offensive defensemen prospect) would have been a nice piece of the trade in addition to maybe next year's first round pick, a decent roster player, and a good/top prospect.  Therefore, since the draft already passed by, I can breathe a little knowing that the Kings won't get Eichel.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:36:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1526 on: July 27, 2021, 08:27:01 PM »
Blackhawks continues to make a lot of moves.  I'm trying to figure out why. 

They traded to get Fleury and gave up an AHL player and then traded Seabrook's contract for Tyler Johnson of the Bolts.  On top of that, the Bolts got rid of a contract that I heard that's not good for them and I think Seabrook is "retired" now so they will use his cap space for LTIR purposes for the next three years.  My goodness, they are going to find a way to continue being competitive next season and exploit the cap rules to the brim again, aren't they?

Also, I'm sure many Golden Knight fans are pretty darn pissed that Fleury is gone.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:33:22 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1527 on: July 28, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
I made a quick demo of an intro/theme song I wrote for the Kraken.  I wrote this all in my head and created it using SampleTank and Ableton Live, no instruments were used.  I feel they should have their own scary theme music. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dme77pyVIirvLSm2ZdTt57yHPti79-zD/view?fbclid=IwAR0g-gr9fDyTXZ12qmdfNZLXiz1abcrwnp5Fb2X1fvakWfyPY7GFHWXIojM
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Lots of moves already.  Gonna be a busy day watching the ticker.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1529 on: July 28, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »
Hmmm. I was going into free agency thinking Rob Blake wouldn't make any big risky moves and all I read so far is that Andreas Athanasiou got resigned at $2.7M for a year.  Not bad, not exciting.

Then I read on Capfriendly that the Kings signed Phillip Danault from Montreal at $5.5M for 6 years???

Hmmmm. Hard to say if I like this move. On the one hand, it would relief Kopitar on some certain responsibilities in their zone. However, the guy is not know to score a lot and this team desperately needs more scoring..... I'm puzzled.

On another note, should we create a new 2021-2022 thread in light of Free Agency frenzy?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:05:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: July 28, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »
Schwartz to the Kraken for 5 years.....$5.5 mil a year. Good for him but man....that's a steep price for a streaky forward that is oft injured. He's a good PK guy but all in all I'm perfectly fine with the Blues turning the page on him. He's just not been good for four years now.

BUT...he was a beast in the Cup Run and folks are still holding onto that like he played like that all the time. They forget that until the playoffs that season was horrific for him. Anyway, I truly don't think the Blues will miss him at all as this frees up a spot for some younger talent to fill. Need to get to the next chapter and one way is not hanging onto aging veterans for sentimental sake.

I do think this is just another example of how the expansion process is a joke. Schwartz was exposed in the draft because he was a free agent.....the Kraken had an exclusive 48 hour period to speak with him which they did.....no contract or anything.....expansion hits and they take Dunn from the Blues then the next week they sign Schwartz. Definitely some BS going on but there is no rule in place to keep them from fleecing teams like that. They basically got two Blues for the price of one. If Dunn or Schwartz were more important I'd be upset but I'm perfectly fine with those two walking.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: July 28, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
Grubauer to the Kraken also huh? Wow. I feel really bad for the Avalanche  :lol   He was pretty much the reason they were as good as they were last season....he stole a LOT of games for them. It'll be interesting to see how they recover from that. Couldn't happen to a nicer owner.  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: July 28, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »
Grubauer to the Kraken also huh? Wow. I feel really bad for the Avalanche  :lol   He was pretty much the reason they were as good as they were last season....he stole a LOT of games for them. It'll be interesting to see how they recover from that. Couldn't happen to a nicer owner.  :biggrin:

How do you really feel, Gary?   :lol

The Avs are gonna have to make a play for something, and the pickings are pretty slim.  Rask?  Kuemper's name seems to keep coming up.  Anyone else potential tradeable?

I'll post more thoughts on the day later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1533 on: July 28, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
Rask isn't coming back until February of March. He just had hip surgery. And if he's uprooting his family, it's going to be to Finland.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: July 28, 2021, 06:07:56 PM »
Rask isn't coming back until February of March. He just had hip surgery. And if he's uprooting his family, it's going to be to Finland.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

So with the loss of Halak, how's the backup situation in Beantown?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1535 on: July 28, 2021, 06:14:49 PM »

Well, they signed Linus Ullmark, and they're going to give Jeremy Swayman a chance to be the backup. He played pretty well, and served as the backup for the playoffs last year. He's supposedly the goalie of the future.

Ullmark's record is pretty good, considering he was playing for Buffalo. I wonder why Buffalo didn't extend themselves on him.

Chad, here's a good synopsis:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/whats-going-on-with-the-bruins-goaltending-situation/ar-AAMGc2g?li=BBnbfcL

At least it explained why Vlader was traded.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 06:23:01 PM by TAC »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: July 28, 2021, 07:51:04 PM »

Well, they signed Linus Ullmark, and they're going to give Jeremy Swayman a chance to be the backup. He played pretty well, and served as the backup for the playoffs last year. He's supposedly the goalie of the future.

Ullmark's record is pretty good, considering he was playing for Buffalo. I wonder why Buffalo didn't extend themselves on him.

I think they did, but who the hell wants to be in Buffalo.  Now they have no legit goalie, with Hutton bailing for the Coyotes - straight from one shit-show to another.

That was a good summary.  I know the Flames were looking for a veritable backup for Markstrom.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1537 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »
Ahhh, the smell of the end of the first day of Free Agency.  Look at all of that money in circulation to be paid out in however long.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1538 on: July 29, 2021, 07:05:33 AM »
Rough day for Canes fans here in Raleigh. The team went from a "Bunch of Jerks" in the ironic sense to a "Bunch of Jerks" in the literal sense. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1539 on: July 29, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
Rough day for Canes fans here in Raleigh. The team went from a "Bunch of Jerks" in the ironic sense to a "Bunch of Jerks" in the literal sense. :lol

It could be worse, you could be a Habs fan.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.