Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73223 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1400 on: July 07, 2021, 08:54:33 PM »
damn it.  Well, I guess this is it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1401 on: July 07, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »
I thought for sure Montreal was tying that game.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1402 on: July 07, 2021, 09:02:37 PM »
KRAKEN SEASON STARTS NOW!!! FACE THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1403 on: July 07, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »
So glad I can enjoy seeing teams skate with the Cup now. Congrats to the Lightning!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1404 on: July 07, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »
All right, well done. Bolts.  Once again, that team has been relatively been good/great for the last decade, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Manage to find a way to be cup compliant (by the way, them being millions over the cap was irrelevant if they didn't make the playoffs, but there was no way they weren't making the playoffs.  Team was just that good.)  Don't see them having a shot at winning three in a row, but they got good management.  They will find a way.

Anywho, this late July will be busy.  Seattle draft, then NHL draft, then free agency.  Do your worst, Seattle.  I'm seeing what the Kings could expose and I've accepted the reality that it won't hurt the team at all if they take anyone on that exposed list.  I can't say the same for most teams though.  Sentimental value means little at this point if they take either Quick or Brown (I don't think they will though).  I'm sure Seattle will be in the fold for a playoff spot.  Pacific division is not that great.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1405 on: July 08, 2021, 04:56:13 AM »
Congrats to the $98M team (really, $91M, because the LTIR relief from Gaborik and Nilsson are legit - ie, keeping contracts of permanently injured players for LTIR relief ... lots of teams do this).  I don't think they were cheaters with the cap compliance - but they sure as hell bent the rules to their limit.  There's no way I'll ever be convinced that Kuch wasn't healthy enough to play in late April / early May.  He was kept on LTIR because he had to be for cap compliance - not because he was injured.  And it was rather convenient to have Stamkos on LTIR right after the trade deadline until Game 1 of the playoffs.  Yes, they were a playoff bound team, but not having to drop two significant contracts to compensate for Kuch's salary sure did help them.  Imagine no Killorn or Johnson for the whole playoffs.  Or no Palat and Cirelli.  They have a tougher time making it to the finals, imo.

And for this reason, I'm also convinced the league/Governors are going to make some modification to Cap rules for playoffs.  Don't know what that will look like, but I think there will be something.

Looking forward to seeing the protected lists next week.  I don't think the Kraken are going to make out as well as the Knights did 4 years ago.  GMs got smarter about how they structured their contracts.  I don't think too many teams will feel they're in a pickle and having to expose players they aren't prepared/willing to lose - or contracts they are hoping to lose in many cases.

Looking back at the expansion rules that the Jackets, Wild, Preds and Thrashers had to play under, it's amazing they won any games in their inaugural seasons.  Teams basically only had to expose their backup goalie, 4th liners, and 3rd D-pairings.  And the Wild/Jackets drafted in the same year!  Man those were some shitty teams.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1406 on: July 08, 2021, 07:07:46 AM »
the Habs making it this far into the playoffs got me paying attention to hockey which I usually never do.  I think they did something kind of amazing and gave us quite the ride that we won’t forget.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:53 AM »
Quote from: Kucherov's presser
"I didn’t even want to go back to Montreal,” Kucherov said. “But the fans in Montreal? Come on. They acted like they won the Stanley Cup last game. Are you kidding me? You kidding me? Their final was last series."

What an arrogant prick comment.  This coming from a guy whose team just two years ago was swept in Round 1 as the President's Trophy winner.  Given his "LTIR" status, I've lost a fair amount of respect for this guy.  Talented, yes.  But what an ass-clown of a comment.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1408 on: July 08, 2021, 07:27:51 AM »
Habs win, which means we get more hockey!!

Tampa's mayor wants the team to lose today to come and win the trophy at home. Can't argue with that.

Yes, you can.  You win the Cup as quickly as you can.

I'm with you on that; don't get cute.  Once the puck drops, all that matters is the next 60 minutes; not the building, not the LTIR, not the cap, not anything else.    Play hard, play to win. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1409 on: July 08, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »
I thought last night's game, while it had its moments, was incredibly sloppy. I know towards the end there were remarks of the ice surface being just awful, but I didn't really see anything from either team that truly impressed me. I thought Montreal was sloppy with the puck from the first drop, and their decisions with movement were hesitant and lacked confidence. Seemed to me like they were just hoping to delay the inevitable rather than really putting forward their all.

Tampa suffocated them a lot last night, certainly frustrated them and I do believe they were the better team, but I also didn't feel like they had the same intensity that more recent champions had. I was most impressed with Vasilevsky, who definitely earned the Conn Smythe. I didn't have a dog in the fight so I was just watching for some entertaining hockey and was just sort of...meh at last night's game. Seemed like it went out with a whimper.

I am in no way making any statement about either Tampa or Montreal deserving/not deserving anything. I just felt like this wasn't the best Final I've seen recently.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: July 08, 2021, 08:31:46 AM »
"I didn’t even want to go back to Montreal,” Kucherov said. “But the fans in Montreal? Come on. They acted like they won the Stanley Cup last game. Are you kidding me? You kidding me? Their final was last series."

What an arrogant prick comment.  This coming from a guy whose team just two years ago was swept in Round 1 as the President's Trophy winner.  Given his "LTIR" status, I've lost a fair amount of respect for this guy.  Talented, yes.  But what an ass-clown of a comment.

I just watched that press conference where he said that.....and yes, there's no out of context there. He was being and utter dick. What a classless A-Hole. If I'm Montreal I stick that comment in the back pocket and line that F'r up the next time you play him.

And I'm with you Chad...I mean, TB played by the rules with the whole LTIR and all that but C'mon.....everyone could see they were manipulating the hell out of it. I mean whatever....they didn't break any rules but these GM's and teams are too smart not to know how to utilize every rule and regulation to their advantage. The good thing is TB's little 'run' is all but over. No amount of salary cap gymnastics is going to allow them to keep that team together so it'll be a different look for them next season.

That may not matter though since they basically have the best goalie on the planet right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: July 08, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »
Oh and.....Tarasenko has officially asked for a trade from the Blues. He's pi$$ed at them for mishandling his first two shoulder surgeries and that he didn't get the 'C' when Petro left. He has a solid beef about the shoulder surgeries. There is a long history of Blues team physicians being inept....and he's the latest victim. Robbi Fabbri is another recent one.

Tarasenko said when he came back from his first surgery he complained it didn't feel right but was told he was all good. Then it re-injured and he had his second surgery. Same thing happened. He went and got his own evaluation from an independent Dr. and was told not only did the first two surgeries not address the initial problem, he now had a large amount of scar tissue from them.

So between that and feeling like he was dissed on the Captaincy.....he's requested a trade. Problem is, who wants him?

His AAV is $7.5 mil but next season it's $9.5 mil.....final year is $4.5 mil. You'll have to package him with other players or pics for sure and even then your return isn't going to be great. All the GM's know about his shoulder and that he's never going to be a 30+ goal scorer again. He'll get you 20 a year....but maybe for 3-4 more years? He's 28 and recovering from three surgeries. I had to guess without knowing any of the teams salary cap issues I'd say NY Rangers due to him and Panarin being close buddies. But who knows?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1412 on: July 08, 2021, 09:32:17 AM »
So glad I can enjoy seeing teams skate with the Cup now. Congrats to the Lightning!

Yeah...I didn't want the Lightning to win, but it's only because, when I don't have a rooting interest, I naturally pull for the underdog.  That's a damn impressive team, and I'd much rather they win on home ice.  I didn't like how Bettman had the whole team come out for the photo op and then disburse for the actual presentation of the Cup, but oh well.

Onto 2021-22!  Go Kings go!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: July 08, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »

I just watched that press conference where he said that.....and yes, there's no out of context there. He was being and utter dick. What a classless A-Hole. If I'm Montreal I stick that comment in the back pocket and line that F'r up the next time you play him.

And I'm with you Chad...I mean, TB played by the rules with the whole LTIR and all that but C'mon.....everyone could see they were manipulating the hell out of it. I mean whatever....they didn't break any rules but these GM's and teams are too smart not to know how to utilize every rule and regulation to their advantage. The good thing is TB's little 'run' is all but over. No amount of salary cap gymnastics is going to allow them to keep that team together so it'll be a different look for them next season.

That may not matter though since they basically have the best goalie on the planet right now.

This is a concept or idea that comes up in New England a lot, around the Hoodie.    Honest question:  what would you guys want to see?  The rules are guideposts, and any other team could have done what the Lightning did, so why is this bad? 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: July 08, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »

This is a concept or idea that comes up in New England a lot, around the Hoodie.    Honest question:  what would you guys want to see?  The rules are guideposts, and any other team could have done what the Lightning did, so why is this bad?

Not saying it's 'bad'......and other teams have done it. I think where the issue lies is that teams are choosing to exploit this for purposes above what it was designed for. Kucherov and Stamkos were intentionally held out of the regular season and placed on LTIR (when it's highly suspected they could've played) so that TB could retain a host of other key, core players for the playoffs rather than having to dump a player or two to clear cap

Did they break the rules? Nope. But just like the Bezos and Gates of the world who use legal loopholes to skate on taxes.....it's ethically a crappy thing to do and a deep look needs to be taken at tinkering with the intention of the LTIR to where it can't be manipulated to give you an unfair advantage in the playoffs. Which 100% happened this year with TB.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1415 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
I will say this.  I will guaran-damn-tee (I had to emphasized the damn part of that) that if Tampa Bay did not make the playoffs (which would be utterly impossible given the division draw they had), everyone in the hockey world would be laughing at them saying something like, "herp derp, they are million above the cap, and they couldn't even make the playoffs.  What a waste of money." 

I will say if all teams were at least $15 million above the cap this season, most wouldn't be as good as TB.  Some may, others would not and there was a period where teams like the Leafs and Rangers were spending money like crazy and they were still getting nowhere (which I think that period in the late 90s/early 00s is a factor on why there is a salary cap in the first place, to prevent GMs from spending money poorly).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
What I would want to see is that if the salary-relief of a player on LTIR is NEEDED to be under the cap, and they do not dress for a game between the trade deadline and the end of the season, they are ineligible for the playoffs.  So, Kuch would have been be ineligible, unless he dressed for one game, or unless they didn't take relief of his AAV.

Look, TB was able to sign / retain players they would have otherwise been unable to fit into the roster if not for Kuch's LTIR relief.  Yes, other teams have done that for temp and legit purposes (Kane a few years back; Leafs while moving people up and down the roster), but to LTIR your highest salary for the full season, see him practicing for almost 2 months, and then he magically is healthy the day the playoffs start... that's a *too* much manipulation AFAIC.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: July 08, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »
What I would want to see is that if the salary-relief of a player on LTIR is NEEDED to be under the cap, and they do not dress for a game between the trade deadline and the end of the season, they are ineligible for the playoffs.  So, Kuch would have been be ineligible, unless he dressed for one game, or unless they didn't take relief of his AAV.

Look, TB was able to sign / retain players they would have otherwise been unable to fit into the roster if not for Kuch's LTIR relief.  Yes, other teams have done that for temp and legit purposes (Kane a few years back; Leafs while moving people up and down the roster), but to LTIR your highest salary for the full season, see him practicing for almost 2 months, and then he magically is healthy the day the playoffs start... that's a *too* much manipulation AFAIC.

Yep. They gamed the system no doubt about it. I don't even think they'd say differently because they don't have to. There's no rule against it. It's based on a gentlemen's agreement that you're placing and keeping guys on LTIR that NEED to be there.....not to free up Cap space to sign additional players then magically bring back players for the playoffs.

The Kucherov situation was a big middle finger to everyone while smiling. That, and his little a$$hat presser makes my blood boil and hope beyond hope that karma kicks him in the nuts next season.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1418 on: July 08, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »

Yep. They gamed the system no doubt about it. I don't even think they'd say differently because they don't have to. There's no rule against it. It's based on a gentlemen's agreement that you're placing and keeping guys on LTIR that NEED to be there.....not to free up Cap space to sign additional players then magically bring back players for the playoffs.

The Kucherov situation was a big middle finger to everyone while smiling. That, and his little a$$hat presser makes my blood boil and hope beyond hope that karma kicks him in the nuts next season.

But then, he would just go back to LTIR and the cycle continues unless the NHL can hotfix it and he wouldn't be allowed to play a playoff game if he's out the entire season.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: July 09, 2021, 05:35:27 AM »

Not saying it's 'bad'......and other teams have done it. I think where the issue lies is that teams are choosing to exploit this for purposes above what it was designed for. Kucherov and Stamkos were intentionally held out of the regular season and placed on LTIR (when it's highly suspected they could've played) so that TB could retain a host of other key, core players for the playoffs rather than having to dump a player or two to clear cap

Did they break the rules? Nope. But just like the Bezos and Gates of the world who use legal loopholes to skate on taxes.....it's ethically a crappy thing to do and a deep look needs to be taken at tinkering with the intention of the LTIR to where it can't be manipulated to give you an unfair advantage in the playoffs. Which 100% happened this year with TB.

I guess I'm at a loss how it's "unfair" if every team could do it.    And there IS the risk that by not having those players during the season that the team doesn't perform as well as they could, or that the players stagnate without the repititions.  I'm not trying to argue here; I'm just sort of trying to understand.  For me, the rules are a framework, and as long as the frame is intact, anything goes.    Though I will say that if a rule WAS implemented for a specific purpose and the loophole undermines that specific purpose then perhaps it should be looked at (I'm not familiar with the background of this particular rule).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1420 on: July 09, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »
The concept of LTIR is always fascinating.  Some people can say you shouldn't abuse that rule to make sure your top player is well-rested and healthy to start the playoffs even though he didn't play a game in the regular season.  Others could say that you shouldn't abuse that rule to take in a LTIR contract to get enough cap relief to sign a top guy (I know the Leafs have done that in the past).  Those approaches are fair game as far as I can tell and any team can choose to exercise it if they wish and if it suits them for the time being.

Great teams find legal loopholes and are able to win it.  Those sour about it.  Well, your team just needs to be better in other ways.  Salty about Vegas making it to at least the final four three out of four years despite only existing for four years?  Your team just needs to be better somehow.  I ain't upset about Vegas' success.  I just hope there comes a day where the Kings would be a better team than them, but that day is not going to be there yet in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:01:20 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1421 on: July 12, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
I'll beat the dead horse: McGuire will NOT be returning to broadcasting! He's been appointed VP of player development in Ottawa. Huzzah.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/senators-appoint-pierre-mcguire-as-senior-vp-of-player-development/c-325631294
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1422 on: July 12, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
I'll beat the dead horse: McGuire will NOT be returning to broadcasting! He's been appointed VP of player development in Ottawa. Huzzah.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/senators-appoint-pierre-mcguire-as-senior-vp-of-player-development/c-325631294

Wrong thread. This should be posted in “What made you happy today” instead.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: July 12, 2021, 10:04:41 AM »
Thank god I'm not a Sens fan!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1424 on: July 12, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »

I just didn't want to double post.

Thank god I'm not a Sens fan!

INDEED! As I told my sister, I don't really know what they see in him as far as value, but if it keeps him off tv and away from my team, I'm fine with it.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1425 on: July 12, 2021, 10:31:39 AM »

I just didn't want to double post.

Was only joking. Sorry if that wasn’t more clear.  ;)

And jingle, that was also my first thought. I guess they were impressed with his player relations skills from his days in Hartford?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1426 on: July 12, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »
I question more about the Senators' hiring process.  I understand that they may not have a lot of candidates, compared to other teams, but they really looked at whatever lists they got and think, "Yeah, Pierre McGuire is the best guy for this job."?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: July 12, 2021, 12:45:19 PM »
Duncan Keith to the Oil.  It's coming from multiple insiders - Caleb Jones (who?) and a 3rd round.  Hawks are retaining no salary.

Why am I singing "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss"

New GM, and the Oilers continue to get fleeced.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: July 12, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
Duncan Keith to the Oil.  It's coming from multiple insiders - Caleb Jones (who?) and a 3rd round.  Hawks are retaining no salary.

Why am I singing "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss"

New GM, and the Oilers continue to get fleeced.

Any interest in Tarasenko while you’re at it?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: July 12, 2021, 02:31:45 PM »
I've watched and listened to a couple interviews and videos of Kucherov now.....one from today and the past couple days and more and more I'm really developing a 'hatred' for the guy. Not like literally hate him and wish bad things on him but the dude is just an a$$hole. Great player and all but he's a cocky SOB and cocky SOB's rub me the wrong way.

I saw one article headline that was written after his little post game drunken rant that insisted that the NHL 'needed' more of what he said/did and I totally disagree. (i didn't read the article due to the headline) Having a$$hole's represent your product is never a good idea. And you'll have a hard time convincing me Kucherov isn't a D-Bag a$$hole.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1430 on: July 12, 2021, 02:43:49 PM »
Was only joking. Sorry if that wasn’t more clear.  ;)

And jingle, that was also my first thought. I guess they were impressed with his player relations skills from his days in Hartford?

I know, no worries. :)

I really can't imagine anyone looking at McGuire and thinking that he's worth anything other than ridiculously obscure junior/college hockey references, stepping all over fellow announcers, and awkwardly salivating over those he interviews.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: July 12, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »
@ Gary .... From henceforth, he shall be known as Doucherov

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1432 on: July 12, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
I've watched and listened to a couple interviews and videos of Kucherov now.....one from today and the past couple days and more and more I'm really developing a 'hatred' for the guy. Not like literally hate him and wish bad things on him but the dude is just an a$$hole. Great player and all but he's a cocky SOB and cocky SOB's rub me the wrong way.

I saw one article headline that was written after his little post game drunken rant that insisted that the NHL 'needed' more of what he said/did and I totally disagree. (i didn't read the article due to the headline) Having a$$hole's represent your product is never a good idea. And you'll have a hard time convincing me Kucherov isn't a D-Bag a$$hole.

Well, there comes a point where we do need villains in the NHL and the Bolts are certainly embracing that they are the villains and not afraid to show it and I think that a point can be made that we do need more of that.  I mean I know that with the Bolts and Habs are in the same division, I would be curious to see how the first game, next season, in Montreal between those two teams goes and see fans reactions every time Kucherov touches the puck or is on ice or anything.  He would be booed all over the place.

I was listening to 31 Thoughts: The Podcast (the one that has Elliott Friedman and Jeff Marek of Sportsnet) yesterday when they talked about that post-game conference and they reluctantly agree that this league does need some villains or teams that can be perceived as villains and they see the pros of that.  I know Jeff Marek is a huge wrestling fan so he knows what's it all about when it comes to faces/heels and how a good villain can potentially drive interest to the product.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: July 12, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »

Well, there comes a point where we do need villains in the NHL and the Bolts are certainly embracing that they are the villains and not afraid to show it and I think that a point can be made that we do need more of that.  I mean I know that with the Bolts and Habs are in the same division, I would be curious to see how the first game, next season, in Montreal between those two teams goes and see fans reactions every time Kucherov touches the puck or is on ice or anything.  He would be booed all over the place.

I was listening to 31 Thoughts: The Podcast (the one that has Elliott Friedman and Jeff Marek of Sportsnet) yesterday when they talked about that post-game conference and they reluctantly agree that this league does need some villains or teams that can be perceived as villains and they see the pros of that.  I know Jeff Marek is a huge wrestling fan so he knows what's it all about when it comes to faces/heels and how a good villain can potentially drive interest to the product.

I mean.....I get it. It's 'good' to have these personalities and what not in the league. It's just me personally.....I do not respond well to outright cockiness. It's one thing to be confident and handle it with class. It's another thing to be a cocky A-Hole and be an utter dick about it.

@ Gary .... From henceforth, he shall be known as Doucherov

Let it be written.....let it be so.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1434 on: July 12, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
Considering that the NHL has exactly zero personality, i have no issue whatsoever with the Kucherov presser. Listening to an intermission interview with an NHL player is like nails on a chalkboard