Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73201 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1260 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »
Guess the North wasn't such a weak-ass division after all, eh?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1261 on: June 23, 2021, 09:34:45 AM »

It was. Just because the Habs make the Finals don't talk yourself into this. The Habs are playing confidently with a hot goalie.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1262 on: June 23, 2021, 10:04:00 AM »

It was. Just because the Habs make the Finals don't talk yourself into this. The Habs are playing confidently with a hot goalie.

In a normal year Montreal wouldn’t have even MADE the playoffs with their record. They were the 18th best team in the league this year with the Rangers and Stars posting better records, but because of the temporary realignment and playoff format along with Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa shitting the bed, they snuck in and took advantage of Toronto continuing to be master choke artists and Winnipeg forgetting how to play hockey. Make no mistake about it. The Canadiens lucked their way into the semifinals, and now with momentum on their side and Vegas’ bad game time decision making, they may luck their way into the finals as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1263 on: June 23, 2021, 10:04:21 AM »
I would think that Vegas thought what happened in Game 3 with Fleury was a rare mental lapse and think after resting him for four days, he would be fine.  Although, if the guy that came in on Game 4 won and made solid saves, you would think they would ride that wave on Game 5.  Now they put themselves in this tough decision in an elimination game.

This...for sure.

And the game 6 elimination game is on the road, which makes things even more difficult.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1264 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
tomorrow home game for the Habs and in case you guys don’t know, june 24th is the St-Jean-Baptiste, Quebec’s national holiday.  Fever pitch would be an understatement

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: June 23, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »

I guess I'm not going to conflate a team's performance in the regular season vs the playoffs as a measure of strength or weakness.  Just because the Habs did not perform like the Leafs/Avs/Knights throughout the regular season doesn't make them a weak team.  They're performing when it counts*.  To me, that's a better indicator of strength than winning the President's Trophy.  Additionally, at the moment at least, the Leafs are the only one of the three teams that have looked like they could/should have beaten Montreal.

Don't forget your team played in the division with the Sabres and Devils and Carter Hart.

We'll just agree to disagree.

* In the reg season, Mtl had 11 OTL's.  In the playoffs, they're 4-1 in playoff OT.

@ TheCount.  So what?  You play the hand that was dealt (ie, division format - and Dallas' position is irrelevant either way - they're in different conferences).  Look, I'm no Habs fan, and I'm very conflicted about whether I want to see them in the finals or not.  But don't dismiss their performance as a result of convenient circumstances handed to them by the league or their opponents.  I'm just saying that if Montreal - as the 18th ranked team - is outclassing the supposed "better" teams than them, to me that validates that the North wasn't exactly filled with pushovers.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything (which I'm clearly not going to do even if I was trying)... just my opinion as someone who probably watched more North games than most here.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1266 on: June 23, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
I'm with Chad on this. While the re-alignment and all the uniqueness of this season certainly helped the Canadians......it doesn't change the fact that they're playing like a well oiled machine right now. They're doing what Championship caliber teams do.....they're playing unselfish hockey with a 'team' mindset and have a goalie that is in a 'zone' right now. They've taken advantage of the situation and are going all in on this shot. It's great to see.

I don't consider that Covid tournament a 'real' Stanley Cup Post Season because of how ridiculous it was but what I believe doesn't matter. TB won the Stanley Cup last year. The uniqueness of this season and the special re-alignment was set in place before the games were played. There was always going to be a team that "shouldn't" have made the playoffs that made the playoffs and there was always going to be a couple of teams that didn't make the playoffs that were 'better' than couple that did.

You still have to play the games and execute. You cannot deny what the Canadians are doing right now or that they don't 'deserve' to be there. The rules are the rules and they didn't break any to get where they're at....they've only just kept winning the games they need to win.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1267 on: June 23, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
I'm with Chad on this. While the re-alignment and all the uniqueness of this season certainly helped the Canadians......it doesn't change the fact that they're playing like a well oiled machine right now.

:huh:

The fact that the Habs are "going on a run" does not in any way validate Chad's opinion that the North Division was a tough division. Competitive, sure, but it was the weakest division, easily.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: June 23, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm with Chad on this. While the re-alignment and all the uniqueness of this season certainly helped the Canadians......it doesn't change the fact that they're playing like a well oiled machine right now.

:huh:

The fact that the Habs are "going on a run" does not in any way validate Chad's opinion that the North Division was a tough division. Competitive, sure, but it was the weakest division, easily.

I wasn’t looking to bolster that specific point. The point is that it’s no fault of the Canadians what division they were in. Let’s say it was the weakest for arguments sake. Oh well? That was just the way it was this season due to the uniqueness of it.

In a normal year they’re not even sniffing the playoffs but it’s not their fault they were in a ‘weak’ division.

None of that matters. The old saying of ‘just make the playoffs and see what happens’ applies here. They made it…..and they’re performing. Period. Gotta play the games and they’ve hit a groove and have gained the level of confidence and swagger that’s needed to win it all.

They may not win it all but what division they played in means nothing because it’s not like they paid a fee to get into it. It was what it was and that’s that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1269 on: June 23, 2021, 06:57:04 PM »
Well I agree with that, but Chad's point was about the strength of the North, so that's why I was confused when you said you agreed with him.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: June 23, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
Well, even if I’m on my own, I’ll still stand by the fact that EVERY division had their haves, and have nots. Was Carolina really that good when Tampa easily cruised thru them?  Are the Knights REALLY that good when the Wild take them to 7, and they’ll need that much to get past the Habs?  I made my case a few pages back about the shit kickers in every division.

I’m just saying the Habs playoff performance doesn’t jive with the notion that the North was the “weakest”.  Even if I’m the only one sayin it (which I clearly am).

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1271 on: June 23, 2021, 08:59:50 PM »
Well, even if I’m on my own, I’ll still stand by the fact that EVERY division had their haves, and have nots. Was Carolina really that good when Tampa easily cruised thru them?  Are the Knights REALLY that good when the Wild take them to 7, and they’ll need that much to get past the Habs?  I made my case a few pages back about the shit kickers in every division.

I’m just saying the Habs playoff performance doesn’t jive with the notion that the North was the “weakest”.  Even if I’m the only one sayin it (which I clearly am).

jingle representing for the north 👍

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1272 on: June 23, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
We got at least one game 7, baby.  I'm sure Tampa fans are thrilled with that.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1273 on: June 23, 2021, 09:38:34 PM »
Great finish in OT, although there should be a new rule that a playoff OT game cannot end that quickly. :lol

Islanders fans went full brain dead immediately after.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: June 24, 2021, 04:21:38 AM »
Great finish in OT, although there should be a new rule that a playoff OT game cannot end that quickly. :lol

Islanders fans went full brain dead immediately after:tdwn :tdwn

Bolded part does not compute.   :lol

And I agree... If I'm gonna stay be up an hour or so past when I should be getting my shut-eye, I want it to be worth it, dammit!!  These under-2min OTs are somewhat anti-climactic.

I think it'll be poetic justice if Kuch can't go tomorrow, and TB loses.  I'm kinda pulling for the Isles now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1275 on: June 24, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »
Interesting hire for the Kraken's coach..

Dave Hakstol??

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-dave-hakstol-head-coach-1.1659582

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: June 24, 2021, 05:01:41 PM »
Interesting hire for the Kraken's coach..

Dave Hakstol??

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-dave-hakstol-head-coach-1.1659582

Yeah. I don’t know enough about the guy but just watched an interview with him on NHL network. From what they’re saying he’s very ‘analytical’

Who knows what they were going for. Seems like a pretty tame personality and someone who’s easily to move on from should a bigger name become available.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1277 on: June 24, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »
go Habs go   ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1278 on: June 24, 2021, 09:07:22 PM »
Watching tonight's game with my fiance and heard Pierre say something to the effect of: "DeBoer has so much experience in the playoffs".

I immediately said: "Yeah, but most of that experience is choking with the Sharks, peak DeBoer would be beating the Avs in 6 only to lose to the Canadiens in 5."

Close enough. JFC.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1279 on: June 24, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
The worst playoff team, from the worst division, makes the finals.  Yay for the unpredictability of the Stanley Cup playoffs! :tup :tup

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1280 on: June 24, 2021, 09:08:34 PM »
WOOT.  Les Canadiens has made it.  So long, Golden Knights.  Don't know what the heck you do in this off-season.  That was a pretty fast OT.  It was all Golden Knights until like 15 seconds until the end of the OT.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1281 on: June 24, 2021, 09:08:39 PM »
holy shit they did it!!   Last time the Canadiens were in the Stanley Cup finals I was riding my bike to go trade hockey cards with my friends. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:56 PM »
That was awesome. Good for the Canadians! Would love to see them win it all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1283 on: June 24, 2021, 09:12:33 PM »
Islanders/Montreal would give me flashbacks to being a kid since I got into hockey in the early 80's when the Islanders dynasty was destroying the league and the Canadiens had won a bunch right before that and were still considered hockey royalty.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1284 on: June 24, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
holy shit they did it!!   Last time the Canadiens were in the Stanley Cup finals I was riding my bike to go trade hockey cards with my friends.

The last time the Canadiens was in the Cup finals, I wasn't even one and Gretzky was the captain to the Kings.  I'm sure Jingle doesn't want to talk about that part about the '93 Kings.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1285 on: June 24, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »
I don’t  really follow the NHL but I’m just checking in to say I went to high school with Canadiens super rookie Cole Caufields mom.

As you were.

Go Montreal!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: June 24, 2021, 09:35:45 PM »
The worst playoff team, from the worst division, makes the finals.  Yay for the unpredictability of the Stanley Cup playoffs! :tup :tup

You may want to try and reconcile your definition of “worst” with the reality of what’s actually happening.  :P

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1287 on: June 24, 2021, 09:53:52 PM »
^^ All right, the team that many people gave them no chances to win any rounds have made it to the cup finals.  Am I closer?

Here's a video of people outside the Bell Centre when the winning goal happened.  Just put aside social distancing for a while and just let those people have their moment.  It rarely happens for some fans.  That city is going to be awake for a while and it's almost midnight there.

Canadiens Fans React To Artturi Lehkonen’s Overtime Winner Outside The Bell Centre

I hope these people are ready though.

Game 6: Montreal riot squad ready in case things get out of hand

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1288 on: June 25, 2021, 06:24:10 AM »
Montreal had the worst record of any playoff team and the 18th best record overall, so I am comfortable saying they were the worst team of the playoff teams heading into the postseason.  Now, given the nature of how this season was played, where you only played teams from your own division, the worst teams in the Canadian division being better than the worst teams in the other divisions was a factor, but I just remember the chatter heading into the playoffs of what teams had the best chance to win it all and it seems like that division was the only one where no team was mentioned, although the McDavid factor did make some think the Oilers had a shot.  Montreal's awesome run to the finals doesn't magically mean they were better than they showed in the regular season; it just shows that they got hot at the right time, which, again, is what is awesome about the SC playoffs, as any team has a chance. Well, except the Maple Leafs.  :lol :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: June 25, 2021, 07:50:42 AM »
it just shows that they got hot at the right time, which, again, is what is awesome about the SC playoffs, as any team has a chance. Well, except the Maple Leafs.  :lol :lol

Again, it's the whole adage that 'just get in....just make it to the playoffs and anything can happen'.  They're living that adage right now. I won't even say they 'got hot'. They remind me of the Red Sox back in what was that....04' or whatever? No one gave them a chance and they were down 3-0 and just said  :censored it. Ignored everyone else and just started playing for one another.

I see the Canadians as just flipping everyone off and laying it out on the line for one another. 20 average guys going all in for one another is WAY more enticing as a coach than 20 superstars trying to win games as individuals.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1290 on: June 25, 2021, 08:00:19 AM »
They are suffocating with their speed right now.  If you touch the puck, their are on you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: June 25, 2021, 08:08:35 AM »
Montreal had the worst record of any playoff team and the 18th best record overall, so I am comfortable saying they were the worst team of the playoff teams heading into the postseason.  Now, given the nature of how this season was played, where you only played teams from your own division, the worst teams in the Canadian division being better than the worst teams in the other divisions was a factor, but I just remember the chatter heading into the playoffs of what teams had the best chance to win it all and it seems like that division was the only one where no team was mentioned, although the McDavid factor did make some think the Oilers had a shot.  Montreal's awesome run to the finals doesn't magically mean they were better than they showed in the regular season; it just shows that they got hot at the right time, which, again, is what is awesome about the SC playoffs, as any team has a chance. Well, except the Maple Leafs.  :lol :lol

All fair comments, under the assumption that one must separate the regular and post season when looking at "best" and "worst".  I don't.  Yes, from a points perspective the Habs had the "worst" of the 16 playoff teams as measured through the 56-game regular season.  If that's what you (royal) want your measurement of best vs worst, have at it.  I'm sure all of eliminated #1 and #2 ranked teams have been going to bed the past couple of weeks with the satisfaction they were the "best" in the regular season.  I'm not separating performance and output of the regular season vs post season.  As such, I can't come to the quick and absolute conclusion that the North was the "worst", and the Habs were the "worst" team out of that Division.  That's just me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: June 25, 2021, 09:02:03 AM »
Also, just gotta say that Caufield's goal last night was fucking sick.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1293 on: June 25, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
Also, just gotta say that Caufield's goal last night was fucking sick.

Was that Montreal's second goal?  Rushing in and roofed it over the shoulder?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1294 on: June 25, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
WOOT.  Les Canadiens has made it.  So long, Golden Knights.  Don't know what the heck you do in this off-season.  That was a pretty fast OT.  It was all Golden Knights until like 15 seconds until the end of the OT.

DAMNIT!!!  I was switching between the hockey game, the Dodgers game and the Clippers game.  I was watching one of the last two during the OT intermission and, by the time I switched back to the hockey game, it was over.  Ugh....

But yay for the Habs!!  They remind me a little bit of the 2012 Kings (not stylistically, but in terms of being a huge underdog).

The last time the Canadiens was in the Cup finals, I wasn't even one and Gretzky was the captain to the Kings.  I'm sure Jingle doesn't want to talk about that part about the '93 Kings.

That was, I think, my third season following hockey.  A MASSIVELY painful game 2 in the SCF.  Kings poised to go up 2-0 on the road and then massive stupidity with 1:45 left gives the Habs a last minute power play (and a 6-4 advantage with the goalie pulled).  Habs tie it and win it less than a minute into OT, and the Kings wouldn't win another playoff game until 2001.

A friend of mine was so very conflicted about this series.  Didn't want Vegas to win, but she is under the delusion that Montreal did something nefarious in connection with the illegal stick penalty.  I blame McSorley (and, secondarily, the Kings' equipment manager), but she buys into all the conspiracy crap about the Habs sending someone into the Kings' locker room between games 1-2, blah, blah, blah....  In any event, she even goes so far that she doesn't want any of the Canadian teams to win.

If the Islanders win tonight, I'll be pulling for them to win it all, but I'll root for the Habs over the Lightning, which will piss my friend off.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung