Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73236 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »
I've said it many times before, players these days expect the refs and rules to protect them, rather than protecting themselves. Evans should've been aware that someone was bearing down on him.

Ice hockey is a sport, not a jungle. You must be allowed to score on an empty net without fear of someone totaling you out of frustration. If you can't trust the rules or officials the game has a serious problem.

And me saying it was "clean", I mean Scheifele didn't hit Evans' head first, leap at him, lead with the stick or elbow, or anything like that. It for sure was a massive charge, but that's all I can say about it.

It doesn't matter how "clean" a check is if it's performed in a violent manner, which is simply not permitted by the official NHL rules (charging). The fact Evans suffered a head injury (concussion) also mandated a game misconduct per the charging rule.

I mean, the guy is about to score. Sure he came a long way, and perhaps the distance dictates it that it's a penalty, but what else was he supposed to do as the guy is about to stuff the puck in the net.

He could've easily poke-checked the wraparound but clearly wasn't even thinking about it, even though it was too late for anything else. Just a very stupid play by a frustrated player.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1121 on: June 03, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »

I actually am not in any way enraged at the Scheifele hit. I mean, the guy is about to score. Sure he came a long way, and perhaps the distance dictates it that it's a penalty, but what else was he supposed to do as the guy is about to stuff the puck in the net.

I kinda feel the same way, but....  It was an obvious charging penalty, so that's were things start.  Did Scheifele intend to make head contact?  Probably not, but he did.  He also pretty clearly had no intent to play the puck or try and stop the goal.  His sole intent was to deliver a hit, and he left his feet in doing so.  All that being the case, assuming he has no history, my guess is that he'll get a game or two.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1122 on: June 03, 2021, 12:48:26 PM »
That is the key pg. If he swatted for the puck and still delivered that hit I think it's looked at differently.  He made no attempt at the puck.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1123 on: June 03, 2021, 01:20:10 PM »

I actually am not in any way enraged at the Scheifele hit. I mean, the guy is about to score. Sure he came a long way, and perhaps the distance dictates it that it's a penalty, but what else was he supposed to do as the guy is about to stuff the puck in the net.

I kinda feel the same way, but....  It was an obvious charging penalty, so that's were things start.  Did Scheifele intend to make head contact?  Probably not, but he did.  He also pretty clearly had no intent to play the puck or try and stop the goal.  His sole intent was to deliver a hit, and he left his feet in doing so.  All that being the case, assuming he has no history, my guess is that he'll get a game or two.

I feel like if he plays the puck, he's going to get a mouthful of goal post. His only option was to take the body.
I get it, it was definitely a charge, but if I can play semantics, I view it as a nasty hit, but not a dirty hit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1124 on: June 03, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
Wow, that was a bullshit call.

Right!?!?  And Scheifele HAS to be skating at full speed the whole time if he wants to have a chance at stopping the EN.  *AND* theres still about a minute left, there's not an insignificant chance that an EN goal is the difference maker in a victory, or OT.  If he's there even 1/2 a second earlier, the puck isn't in the net, and the Jets still have a chance to tie - even if he gets a penalty for the hit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1125 on: June 03, 2021, 03:30:22 PM »
I feel like if he plays the puck, he's going to get a mouthful of goal post. His only option was to take the body.
I get it, it was definitely a charge, but if I can play semantics, I view it as a nasty hit, but not a dirty hit.

I don't view it as dirty either, but it certainly was intended to be a hard hit for the sake of hitting him.  If you watch on slow-mo (as the DPS will do), he doesn't have his stick extended, as you'd expect since a stick check would be the best way to stop the goal.  Then, when he hits the blue paint, he turns his upper body, which pulls his stick further away from the puck, and lowers his shoulder to deliver the hit.  So he can't plausibly argue that it was just an unfortunate result of a genuine effort to stop the goal.  Having chosen to deliver a hit, the onus was on him to avoid contact with the head, and he failed miserably.  Dirty?  No.  Cheap?  A little.  Suspension worthy?  Yeah, absolutely, and I'm a little surprised we haven't heard the result yet.

By the way, props to Nikolaj Ehlers.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: June 03, 2021, 06:29:59 PM »
4 Games for Scheifele.  Pretty stern as playoff games*, and a guy with no history - especially when Reaves gets two for his BS last week.

DPS confounds me.  I still don't think it was suspension worthy, but even based on the DPS' own explanation, 4 playoff games is pretty harsh.

* Brian Burke would always say that when he ran DPS, playoff games were weighted at least 1:2 or 1:3.  So, this would be an 8-12 game suspension in the regular season??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1127 on: June 03, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »
4 games is ridiculous. You know what..give him a game, whatever. but FOUR?? That's a fucking gift for the Habs.

Let me guess, the Montreal police opened up an investigation.. :lol (Chara reference)  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: June 03, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »
Isles hitting a ton in the second period. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1129 on: June 03, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »
This game is ridiculous. Every game so far. No one on either team can touch the puck and not get hit.

B's need to stop taking dumbass penalties.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1130 on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:40 PM »
Weak call against Vegas to get the AVs that PP to win the game. That ref should be ashamed of himself.

I didn't see it, but I saw the highlight of the OT goal this morning, saw that it was a PP, and I have to admit that my first thought was, "of course they gave the Avs a PP early in the OT."  :lol :lol This reminds me of the Red Wings of 20 years ago where it seems like the refs are so enchanted by their talent that it's like they could assume any good defense against them must be a penalty.  There is no other explanation for it.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK5Ao0JhYo

Weak.....Weak....call AND play by the AVs player. One hand on his stick and it just gets knocked out of his hand on a play that happens probably on every face off. There's no way this should have been called a 'slash' in a 2-2 tied OT Playoff game.

Pretty weak, yeah.  Ugh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1131 on: June 03, 2021, 07:27:00 PM »
4 games is ridiculous. You know what..give him a game, whatever. but FOUR?? That's a fucking gift for the Habs.

Let me guess, the Montreal police opened up an investigation.. :lol (Chara reference)  :lol

Agreed.  It should have been a lot more.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: June 03, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »

Agreed.  It should have been a lot more.

Genuine question to ya Kev .... why do you think it was worth more (assuming you're being serious)?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: June 03, 2021, 08:12:34 PM »
2 games would have been fine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1134 on: June 03, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: June 03, 2021, 08:32:32 PM »
*Wipes Brow*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1136 on: June 03, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
I will give him his due: Marchand is an annoying pissant, but he does score some big goals.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1137 on: June 03, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
I will give him his due: Marchand is an annoying pissant, but he does score some big goals.

Kev, Marchand is literally one of the best players in the league. Pull up any measurable over the last 5 or so years and he's right there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1138 on: June 03, 2021, 08:47:27 PM »
That is why I gave him (some of) his due. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: June 03, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
For the most part, he's gotten away from the "agitator" to s team leader.

He's been consistent and growing every year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1140 on: June 03, 2021, 08:55:47 PM »
If I may throw in a slight jab...

All that might be true, but I will still enjoy the fact that his mental blunder allowed the Blues to score what turned out to the GWG in Game 7 of the finals in 2019.  That will never not make me smile.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: June 03, 2021, 09:12:23 PM »
Funny.  I must have blocked it out. I don't remember it. Thankfully. 

I still can't blame him. His effort is always 100%.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1142 on: June 03, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
I was telling someone at work today that I think the finals will be Colorado vs either Boston or Tampa Bay.   I am standing by that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: June 03, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
Tampa is a huge hurdle.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1144 on: June 04, 2021, 07:52:31 AM »
I’m honestly not sure there will still be professionnal sports like hockey or football in a 100 years or even just 50 years.  The consequences of concussions and head injuries are becoming better understood and there’s already been controversy over suppressing some of that information coming out.   At some point people just won’t want to get into that field, or more accurately since you have to start young maybe their parents won’t let them. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1145 on: June 04, 2021, 07:58:58 AM »
I’m honestly not sure there will still be professionnal sports like hockey or football in a 100 years or even just 50 years.  The consequences of concussions and head injuries are becoming better understood and there’s already been controversy over suppressing some of that information coming out.   At some point people just won’t want to get into that field, or more accurately since you have to start young maybe their parents won’t let them.
It's possible for some sports. I know we won't let our kids play football. Just not worth the risk. Up here in Canada, though, you'd be hard pressed to convince parents not to put their kids in hockey. Some of the leagues are at least making an effort. Quebec minor hockey pushed back the age at which contact and hitting is allowed to something like 15 years old, whereas I believe hitting is introduced at 11 in other provinces (I could be wrong about that age though...my kids aren't even old enough for initiation hockey).

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1146 on: June 04, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
It's possible for some sports. I know we won't let our kids play football. Just not worth the risk. Up here in Canada, though, you'd be hard pressed to convince parents not to put their kids in hockey. Some of the leagues are at least making an effort. Quebec minor hockey pushed back the age at which contact and hitting is allowed to something like 15 years old, whereas I believe hitting is introduced at 11 in other provinces (I could be wrong about that age though...my kids aren't even old enough for initiation hockey).

I live in Quebec so I agree it’s hard to imagine parents not signing up their kids for hockey.  But I don’t know, images like that hit that just happened are hard to watch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: June 04, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
Quebec was robbed decades ago of their team.  The deserve a team again.  Passionate fanbase.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1148 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
Quebec was robbed decades ago of their team.  The deserve a team again.  Passionate fanbase.

word.  Though I don’t live in Quebec City, more like 250 miles east of it, when I was a kid we would go to games there as often as we could. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: June 04, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
I'm from N.H.  I remember the Stastny brothers very well.  And Ron Tugnut having a 73 save performance against the B's.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1150 on: June 04, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
Because of how I pronounced it when I was like 7, my dad and I still refer to them as the Quebec "Nor-da-cues."  :lol :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1151 on: June 04, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »

word.  Though I don’t live in Quebec City, more like 250 miles east of it, when I was a kid we would go to games there as often as we could.
Isn't that the middle of New Brunswick lol?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1152 on: June 04, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »

Isn't that the middle of New Brunswick lol?

lol, sorry I don’t really think of it that way ,  along the south shore of the st-lawrence so I guess it’s technically north east of Quebec city.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1153 on: June 04, 2021, 01:58:48 PM »

I live in Quebec so I agree it’s hard to imagine parents not signing up their kids for hockey.  But I don’t know, images like that hit that just happened are hard to watch.

Watching a guy get leveled in a hockey game wouldn't scare me from having my kids play hockey. It's what happened to Travis Roy that would.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1154 on: June 04, 2021, 02:00:04 PM »
I actually saw the Quebec Nord-a-cues with Sakic play the Bruins.

And Ron Tugnut having a 73 save performance against the B's.

That was amazing. I remember watching that game on TV. They still replay it every now and then.